News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:13PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 284
Total: 289

Pay review 2021

Started by Witch69, 21-07-20, 09:25AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordadmiral

Quote from: NightAndDay on 10-02-21, 09:28PM
Do you have a source for this information? Not calling you a liar, but this is the same union that let past the downgrade of Sunday and Bank holiday premium from time and a half to time and a quarter for a 16p increase in pay, not to mention the recent 2 year Jim'll Fixit It Mickey Mouse pay reviews given to employees, granted the last one was ok, but a damn sight worse than what is essentially a 33% increase in the pay and additional benefits you say they're negotiating.

Add to this £12 an hour is more than what some semi-skilled workers make.

Info about rate and discount come from Union rep. But Tesco 0% discount and no payrise it's my sarcasm.
To be honest each time negotiations are 'similar'.
U:We want this n that!!!
T:Get stuffed!!!
U:Ok, we cud accept bit less?!
T:Not really, competition is opening new stores!
U:Hmmm, yeah that's true.
T:See, told you we have no money to spend.
U: But if we move the s*** here and put more c**p over there we cud get a bit!
T:Great! I love the way you are thinking. 25p pay rise with reduced premiums by 15 pence sounds good. Ufff it's hard to negotiate eith you, see you next time.
U: Yeeeeah! Another amazing victory . Bit over 1% pay rise. Quick inform press!!!!

sscn2604

Sunday premium going?

fatboy

Anyone got any ideas as to when we might hear the outcome of the current pay negotiations?

NightAndDay

Quote from: sscn2604 on 17-02-21, 08:52PM
Sunday premium going?

If not this pay review, probably next one, they made a big deal over "no change to premiums" last pay review and their message around wage strategy is that "colleagues prefer a higher rate of basic pay." It's on the cards and I'm almost certain it will be handled the same way as before, a token insult of something along the lines of a 20p increase in pay along with coronavirus and fierce competition being justification for the "competitive increase" they'll make it sound like they're the spirit of generosity.

londoner83

It's got to be on the agenda if not this year then probably in next few. When Sunday opening first launched Tesco struggled to recruit people to work Sundays and thus paid a premium to get them to do so.
With millions unemployed Tesco in 2021 could easily find people willing to work at single time on Sunday if it wanted to.

newguy20

There's also a race to the bottom amongst a lot of companies. They'll point to other firms having withdrawn unsocial allowances and say it's now "industry practice" or somesuch babble.

Redshoes

Sunday takes more money than mon, tues and wed, for us anyway. Trading times is only one hour later opening and one hour earlier closing as I’m in a Scottish store. Key trading times for us is 1000-2200 as that’s when bws is open. Trade outside these times is much quieter, no matter what day of the week it is.
It is still difficult to fill shifts on either a sat or sun. A late shift on a sun is as hard to fill as a sat late.
We are not an extra so we only have one manager in at a time. The morning is all about the fresh delivery and the evening is all about grocery. The managers are on overtime and not contracted. With a small team this means a full time manager works six days at least once a month.
A few things to be addressed regarding Sunday’s. Going out of store, a few things don’t happen even on a Saturday. The offices don’t function on a sat as a normal working day, let alone Sunday.
For me, I would gladly have Sunday as a contracted day. I would love two days off in the week but it’s not going to happen. Some people want the overtime, some want the day off. We are not clones and we all have our own reasons for working or not working.
The store managers take it in turn to work sundays, they don’t get paid, they have to take time back. Some store managers do Sunday rota from home so are “on call” but others do shift in store.
Saturday used to be a premium paid day. I think Sunday premium pay is on its way out but I don’t think will be for a few years yet. If premium pay is removed the whole contracted days structure needs to be removed.

lordadmiral

Love the talk how much money Sunday takes. There is nothing like 40k on Sunday vs 150k on Saturday or Frida but Sunday still takes more. Then we come in the evenings, stock barely touched and day staff moaning how bussy it was and how record high( ehm low) sale was.
I worked i few stores and Sunday always was takeing the lowest or one of the lowest sale by hour or whole trading day.
Can anyone explain me what makes Sunday so special as everyone is talking about?

Redshoes

In Scotland it’s just another day. The local extra is 24/7. As I said, we just shave an hour off each end of day in my store so we are 0800-2200. We do take more money.
If in England a store may still take more money or considering how long it’s open for take more money. This is not going to be the case in every single store. I can only talk for the five stores I have worked in.
We only get a fresh delivery on sundays but a double delivery on Saturday that is sometimes not fully worked and goes into Sunday. We have less people working on grocery on sundays as it should just be to turn the back stock

Siwel123

For us in an extra on Sunday, it's the hardest day to work, this is a UK store.
On fresh there can be 3 people, aybe 4 if lucky for the whole day. With 1 doing waste and reductions, that means we've 2 people to work all backstock on fresh, any left over delivery that is there and do all the promo changes that come down.

Grocery is the same, there's literally 2 people in on Sunday morning, 1 back door and 1 staff and then back door changes over at 1. That means there's one person on a Sunday for grocery to work all cages that are needed, do the promo changes etc etc.

Sunday may not always be busy customer wise, but job wise it's an intense day.

londoner83

Sales per hour in my store are far higher than many other hours in the week. Im in a extra and the heatmap allows most departments very few staff in, so any sickness or uncovered holiday can cause real operational problems.

fatboy

Whats all this s*** gotta do with 'Pay review 2021'?

Nomad

[admin]Nothing. Back to Pay review 2021, please.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Laura123

Good evening, could someone tell me how much a newly signed off manager earns in Scotland?

Paupers wage

Sainsbury’s payrise 20p an hour to £9.50, somewhat short of Morrison’s £10 ph and no doubt a good indication of Tesco’s eventual offer

NightAndDay

Quote from: Laura123 on 25-02-21, 10:32PM
Good evening, could someone tell me how much a newly signed off manager earns in Scotland?

Depends on store format, Tesco Extra TMs are on about £24k a year to start with, normal superstores about £22.5k a year, Cat 1/2 Express SMs between £26-29k a year.

dotnochance

If we get a 20p pay rise and the inevitable Sunday premium, I’m well and truly f***ed for money, and sure as s*** can’t look for another job

Morris999

Unless it’s a multi year deal again, I cannot see Tesco only giving 20p for a 1 year pay rise.
It would equal about 1.8% rise which Tesco wouldn’t be able to justify with losing what’s left of the Sunday premium too which people are speculating about.
I’d say it will be a multi year deal, probably rising by 20p for the first part around November with the aim to hit £10 per hour by Xmas 2022 with the potential loss of Sunday premiums in 2023.

BarryZola

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/sainsburys-argos-workers-pay-rise-135241913.html

Looks like Sainsbury's staff are also getting another (they already had 2 last year) bonus as well as the pay-rise. Equivalent of about £530 for a full-time worker according to the above article.

Tesco are gonna stiff us again. c**p pay-rise and no additional bonus.

fatboy

Someone on another thread has posted we are getting a 3% pay increase in June. Anyone know if there is any truth in this? As far as I was aware, the pay negotiations are still ongoing.

Cinderella

I remember seeing a poster up saying "2021 pay review" but I didn't read it. I will check if it says anything when I'm in today. It would make sense though, as when they cut pay in one place, they tend to make out there's a pay increase at the same time! Cutting Sunday Premium, and giving everyone an increase, for example

fatboy

Thanks for that Cinderella

Morris999

@fatboy, I think the 3% pay rise in June has been taken out of context.
I think there store manager was trying to say that if there was a pay rise in June then they would not get the rise due to protected pay, not that there actually is a pay rise in June.

Cinderella

The poster wasn't there when I checked today!

My store manager also told me that about the pay rise today, Morris.

dotnochance

So we loosing Sunday premium then?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk