News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:56PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

No Self-Isolation

Started by Smeebob, 03-04-20, 10:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smeebob

I just need to let off a bit of steam... One of the people that work in our cash office has been tested for coronavirus due to having family that work in the hospital. They are off work for the foreseeable future. However, our front end team leaders who have been working in close contact for hours at a time in a small office with the cash office worker are not being told to self-isolate.
It’s stressful enough having to work in these times without the extra stress of being around people that have a high chance of carrying the virus... Members of my family have compromised immune systems and it’s just an incredibly worrying time.

Welshie

I do think the guidelines say that unless the person in cash office tested positive,  then the people working with them would not need to self isolate unless they displayed symptoms  .
But yes I would also be very worried,  make sure you social distance from them , well everyone really ,  get out of your uniform and shower before coming into contact with your family when you get home  .

lucgeo

Were they not 2m distancing whilst in the cash office? If not why not! I know these cash offices are windowless, so anything airborne is circulating. I am also wary of how air con is everywhere you go circulating the air through out the building!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Smeebob

No, according to one of the team leaders there was no distancing in the office. It’s bizarre to me that grown adults are not adhering to social distancing when there’s no managers around. There’s also additional worry amongst the staff over how long the cash office worker knew that there was a chance that they could be carrying the virus before they decided to notify management.. We’ve voiced our concerns to management but they just seem to be more worried about getting customers in, not the fact that our store could be spreading the virus to said customers...

lucgeo

And is the 2m distancing now being adhered you? Tesco should be ensuring all their colleagues are working at approved distances, and each store SM and managers have a duty of care to adapt each dept and office, bringing in the accepted practice!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Jasperjakes

No social distancing for nights in our superstore. In fact with all the agency staff and temporary staff they've taken on we are have loads more people in store at night than usual. To enter the store at night you wouldn't know there was a pandemic. No alcohol hand gel, no gloves, not even the tesco gloves. All going on behind closed doors with not one manager trying to separate people even slightly.

Red75

I'm concerned. I live with my mother who is in an at risk group. I would hate to pass on the virus to her. I'm concerned that the company is not doing enough to keep us safe. We're regularly within two metres of customers. It's unavoidable. The aisles are barely two metres wide. I always get as far to the side as I can when I see a customer. We have no protective equipment. While there is someone on the door they don't seem to be counting people coming in and out. There's no clear policy on how many people can be in the store at any time as far as I'm aware. It seems to me that there are two many customers being allowed in especially when compared to the policies of other retailers Those of us living with at risk people have no option to furlough. I understand M&S have given their staff an option to furlough. I appreciate the 10% bonus but it doesn't seem enough for the risk we are taking. This might all seem OK but it will stop being OK if someone gets seriously ill.

Horrendous123

We are in the middle of a pandemic yet some staff including managers think social distancing is a joke. Staff do NOT need to be within a couple of feet of one another to talk or work stock. It is not necessary to nearly walk hand in hand or congregate around coffee machines/ staff fridges etc at the same time. At our store we continue to have staff briefings at the start of the night where all members of staff congregate in a limited space - average space 3 feet between most people. There are markings on the shop floor to encourage/ instruct customers to stay 2 metres apart and there is a shiny new TV ad showing how social distancing is so important. Yet these instructions are not followed or encouraged by staff. Although it is not always possible to stay 2 metres apart I think Tesco should be encouraging/ promoting staff to keep a better social distance. I will no longer be attending staff meetings at the beginning of the night and will suggest breaks are staggered more to limit congregation of large groups of staff gathering at one time. Everyone has a personal responsibility to increase social distance where possible and being ignorant isn't a excuse. All people have to do is wash their hands more and social distance but yet a lot people struggle and find it a joke in and out of Tesco.
I work at a superstore. What are other peoples experiences? by the way this isn't a post to rant at people, but I believe this is a very important subject not only in Tesco but anywhere and lazy/ ignorant behaviour needs to be challenged

Tinkerbell1234

Need help, I am self isolated GP advised 14 days my manager called for update I told him I'm unwell and still have symptoms I have an outstanding disciplinary from Feb 9th   he told me I will get a letter giving 7 days notice so will be week on Monday, should this not be discussed when I return to work not while off sick its not that serious because I put cigs behind till when delivery came in also because I have requested to move store as can't take it any more.

King1999

The company did my social distancing for me last year they got rid of everybody............nice for your mental health.👌

NightAndDay

Quote from: Bubbles1234 on 05-04-20, 01:16PM
Need help, I am self isolated GP advised 14 days my manager called for update I told him I'm unwell and still have symptoms I have an outstanding disciplinary from Feb 9th   he told me I will get a letter giving 7 days notice so will be week on Monday, should this not be discussed when I return to work not while off sick its not that serious because I put cigs behind till when delivery came in also because I have requested to move store as can't take it any more.

The manager can't invite you to an investigation during periods of self isolation signed off by a sick note (make sure you photograph the sick note so the manager can't claim to "misplace it".) If the manager is threatening you with disciplinary action for insubordination, grievance to the PM under HSE violation.

Tinkerbell1234

I have an outstanding disciplinary from feb was postpond due to the coronavirus i self isolated for 7 days dr advised me to isolate for the 14 days as i am still coughing and not well dr said you dont need a note its self certifcate  so when manager called for update he told me will get letter giving 7 days note and he got a rep hes not even doing it its another manager i told him i felt that should wait till i have returned to work he said no part of returning to work i sent email to people manager and area manager said i would like to start fresh in another store as dont feel safe due what happened before they recommended i start fresh yesterday manager mentioned it to me and asked if area manager called me i said no that pm messaged me to say she got email hes response was good good good just want to have no communication with him as i have anxiety

Tinkerbell1234

So many mistakes were done in investigation i was not given second invite letter manager said was put in my folder the person that left the cigs unattended is being protected and list goes on manager got hes mate to do disciplinary so can all be covered up i now have another who is dealing with it  so he is the one tbat should be communicating with me manager should have nothing to do with it

Nomad

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/staff-tesco-store-coventry-test-18714809

QuoteStaff at the Tesco store at Coventry's Arena Park have tested positive for coronavirus, the food giant has confirmed.

The say that the "safety of our colleagues and customers is our number one priority" and they are currently liaising with health officials over the outbreak.

The number of staff to have tested positive for Covid-19 is unknown and the store remains open as normal.

Safety first ! Should the store be closed ?

They closed the store in Martins Heron, Bracknell I believe due to covid-19 outbreak.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Hammer10

If there are a lot of people positive then yes they should close it .

lalaland

The store at Martins Heron was not closed 3 night staff tested positive last month and several of the others were off after being contacted by test and trace. There were quite a few agency staff bought in to cover the night team absences. Management tried to hush it up but it was posted anonymously on a local Facebook group so SM then went round to staff giving them a pep talk about how Tesco were doing everything they could and had been given a top rating by Health England .

[admin]I stand corrected, thank you.[/admin]

King1999

Yeah cutting hours,a list of self help lines generally washing their hands of all accountability the usual c**p I would think.Top rating on the back of staff I would add.

Welshie

I thought all staff now had the right to a test ?? Also if you believe that you have been in close contact with someone that has tested positive for a sustained amount of time it is up to you to 1) self isolate  and/or 2) get a test ? Do people need Tesco to tell them , permit them , advise them to get a test ?

King1999

I thought the store would also have to be shut and deep cleaned,funny other sectors do this,not heard a Tosco shut yet because of this.

Welshie

As an essential business are they allowed to close , would there not need to be a cluster of cases before they were to close a store . If they are the only supermarket for a couple of miles then it would be bad for the community if it closed .

King1999

I thought any cluster of cases warranted a closer and deep clean,not sure just seems like eberythonh else alot of mixed messages.

Welshie

I would agree that a cluster and all businesses should have to close but I think (and could be wrong)  that a cluster is at least 3 cases and I imagine that would have to be in a certain time period  .

oldfashionedplayer

Was supposed to be more than 2, got about 11 in One near and 3 in ours, just told to keep working and if any doubts get a test but jeep coming into work while you wait

dotnochance

Who every made that decision to make staff come into work while waiting for their test results need a kick in the head, or at least a hand shake with an update telling them at you are waiting for you’re results

Welshie

@oldfashionplayer , is that 11 and 3 all at one time or from beginning of lockdown . If all at one time and they've tested positive  then track and trace should be closing the store . If even 3 people tested positive in one store  at the same time I would've thought track and trace would've been on to it . There was a cluster in a meat processing factory near me and  track and trace highlighted it and the h&s department  were in within a day or 2 .Still dont think they actually closed it though

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk