News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:09PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 312
Total: 315

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redshoes

GA's work is different. All Replenishment colleagues should do hard physical work, it's what they are paid to do. Managers support all areas, work side by side filling shelves but the people who have tried and failed options are the people who only see this. It has often been the case that when they see the whole other side of a managers job they drop out. You don't get more money to just carry on and do the same replenishment job, it's a different role.
We are supposed to be training shift leaders now, once they  have started working through the training pack most of them have dropped out. They don't want to know about PFS, about checkouts, about the whole store. They want to be a shift leader in fresh saying work that cage next and see that as the full job role.
All stores have colleagues who think they work harder than everyone else.  We all have colleagues who spend ages complaining and have a chip on their shoulder. Over the years I have seen some of these hand in notice and move on. They think the store will fall apart without them. The reality if that there is often huge relief that they have gone. They often re-apply but don't get back.

Totot

Managers job is to manage, to manage resources, to be effective and efficient.
Understand what effective in each location, area and company for the whole is important.
These what I found not adequate from tesco managers I ever met. Most of them don't even know what resources mean, just basic I manage people.

But of course, I know nothing, only mere ga.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Redshoes on 21-12-21, 08:18AM
GA's work is different. All Replenishment colleagues should do hard physical work, it's what they are paid to do. Managers support all areas, work side by side filling shelves but the people who have tried and failed options are the people who only see this. It has often been the case that when they see the whole other side of a managers job they drop out. You don't get more money to just carry on and do the same replenishment job, it's a different role.
We are supposed to be training shift leaders now, once they  have started working through the training pack most of them have dropped out. They don't want to know about PFS, about checkouts, about the whole store. They want to be a shift leader in fresh saying work that cage next and see that as the full job role.
All stores have colleagues who think they work harder than everyone else.  We all have colleagues who spend ages complaining and have a chip on their shoulder. Over the years I have seen some of these hand in notice and move on. They think the store will fall apart without them. The reality if that there is often huge relief that they have gone. They often re-apply but don't get back.

Actually, in my experience it''s very much the opposite, yes you are right, a CAs job is to perform the bottom line activities, in Express this is admin (Express admins are do the whole spectrum of admin roles, wage clerk, lottery reconcilliation, safe counts etc), Stock Controller, checkouts and replenishment,  Shift Leaders are the duty managers 99% of the time and have sole responsibility of the entire shop which is in stark contrast to large formats.

From what I've seen, 90% of those on options are there for a year or 2 and then jump ship to a competitor in a higher managerial role, seen it happen countless times, I was on "options" for 2 years and could see it was a cost saving measure and they wanted as much as they could get out of me. I transferred to another store and they made me a full fledged Shift Leader within 3 months admitting the SM of the other store was being a cowboy and not looking after his people.

Batmanjo

Quote from: Redshoes on 21-12-21, 08:18AM

Do you have trackers on GA's to see how hard they actually work ? colleagues having a chip on their shoulder if they did actually have a chip on their shoulder it would have been snaffled up by some of these rotund lack lustered managers when they do have to restock anything you will always find them all huddled together on either the crisp or toilet roll aisle chatting gibberish, very rare to get a decent manager anymore, most are there just to make up the numbers and basically to cause problems and gently push older member of staff out of the business to save on pensions, etc, you can see this on a weekly basis what a great job these managers are doing  ;D >:(   

lucgeo

These days lazy managers are either related to senior team, or know how to play the game  ;)

I recall, many years ago, one lazy, overweight manager of bread & cakes dept, who had just joined the gym! His dept was severely undermanned due to sickness and his bad management of the rotas! Customers were complaining that there was no fresh bread out, the one and only staff member was on a checkout call...he was sat on an office table whilst he 'phoned down to the checkout desk, to insist they take his staff member off the checkout immediately!! I told him he should go down and start lugging the trays out himself, he wouldn't need to pay for a gym then!!
Yep I was in the store manager's office within minutes, who listened to both of us, ( the old days when SM's were fair and approachable) then he told the manager to stop wasting more time and go support his team! I got a high 5 from the store manager as I left the office  :)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Incompetence raises to the top generally at Tesco, fortunately a Russian AM has took over the group I was in and has taken the Vladimir Putin approach of saying things how they are, 20 pompous, lazy self-entitled SMs backlashed to his honest feedback and he sent them packing, it's what the business needs, a straight talking person who focuses on the KPI's not the pink and fluffy cultural touchy feely aspects of people management and fulfilling diversity quotas.

Mennsa

God I hope they get rid of bakeries this year.

Totally fed up with this garbage.

I look forward to been on my own again tomorrow....  :(

Thank you, rant over!!

lucgeo

Feel free to rant all you wish my friend, I dare say you're not alone ( apart from in the bakery tomorrow  :))

Just rock up, prioritise your shift, take every break fully, and leave on time...it's your manager's job to fret, not yours  :thumbup:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Biscuit tin

The scratch bakeries are on serious borrowed time now. Everyone who got booted and paid off handsomely 2 years ago are probably still rubbing their hands with glee. Don't think those left will be so lucky.

Mennsa

I can't see them wanting to keep skilled bakers on 30 hour or full time contracts.

We can only hope they see sense and pull the trigger. I can't see many wanting to stay!

NightAndDay

It'll be the FSM debacle all over again, kept on in limbo under the pretense of "soft structure change" hoping they'll leave so they don't have to pay redundo.

person7

Wait do some tesco still have bakers?

All 20 tescos I can get to all come in frozen and produce (fruit/veg) tram just do them. No bakers where I work!

And the one I shop in (eg near my home that I don't work in) is an extra store and they don't even have ovens anymore! Least the ones you can see public view are unused since same time. Our store got rid of fish and bakery etc.

Pancakes

Does anybody know , when it becomes official from the top. Not returning to opening 24 hours?

oldfashionedplayer

yeah still have bakers in ours, we had about 4 / 5 we now have 2 and 1 leaving, they been advertising his job since october-ish, but no one wants it, since its on your own, no help and cover the other baker when they need it... lol.

Morris999

Quote from: person7 on 05-01-22, 12:33AM
Wait do some tesco still have bakers?

All 20 tescos I can get to all come in frozen and produce (fruit/veg) tram just do them. No bakers where I work!

And the one I shop in (eg near my home that I don't work in) is an extra store and they don't even have ovens anymore! Least the ones you can see public view are unused since same time. Our store got rid of fish and bakery etc.

Hundreds of stores still have scratch bakeries, every store on my group still has one.
It was only certain stores/areas that lost them.
Believe there was a trail a few years back near London where something called emporium bakeries or something took over, but was dropped.

Quote from: Pancakes on 05-01-22, 05:12AM
Does anybody know , when it becomes official from the top. Not returning to opening 24 hours?

The current thinking from stores is no official announcement will be made till after March.
The reasoning being that hopefully this will be the last winter of restrictions and possible last chance of the Government doing any lockdown before England learns to live with the virus.
Id like to say the same for Scotland etc, but sturgeon and co. seem hell bent on total domination of there citizens.

VladPutin

Quote from: NightAndDay on 21-12-21, 07:20PM
Incompetence raises to the top generally at Tesco, fortunately a Russian AM has took over the group I was in and has taken the Vladimir Putin approach of saying things how they are, 20 pompous, lazy self-entitled SMs backlashed to his honest feedback and he sent them packing, it's what the business needs, a straight talking person who focuses on the KPI's not the pink and fluffy cultural touchy feely aspects of people management and fulfilling diversity quotas.

You're welcome, comrade! ;D

BoredBaker

I have heard there's another massive round of restructuring coming after the year. Anybody heard anymore? Heat map is revising all departments. Doesn't look good for bakeries I don't think

Himynameus

Doesn't surprise me about bakery and won't most staff been totally run into the ground since Easter this years , lack of packing, lack of stock. No Xmas stock apart from mince pies this year. And for some reason my store had 5 all pretty much full time or 30 plus hours. Plus 3 packers and now only taking around 6-7k a week everyone keeps saying it can't be run like this going forward. They've run them into the ground on purpose

Biscuit tin

Bakeries will definitely be gone in New Year. The writings been on the wall for 3 years. The wise ones got out then when they had the chance. Completely driven into the ground since then. And with all the changes to contracts they'll be no redundancy option for them this time.

BoredBaker

Quote from: Biscuit tin on 02-12-22, 09:57PMBakeries will definitely be gone in New Year. The writings been on the wall for 3 years. The wise ones got out then when they had the chance. Completely driven into the ground since then. And with all the changes to contracts they'll be no redundancy option for them this time.

Do you think they'll all go part bake or just shut them completely and stick with plant lines? They've just invested a lot of money in new trial designs of fresh bakeries so I'm unsure why they'd do that if they were to completely close them down

Hammer10

Our bakery is taking more money than ever even with price increases our sales were nearly 13 k last week on target to beat 13k this week .

Biscuit tin

Butchery counter, fish counter, deli counter,  all the evidence is there. Bakeries next.

kaled78

some stores still have fish and meat counters,they never got rid of them totally

Tesc0Wow

I could see a lot of superstores switching to Bake Off. I can't see them getting rid of bakeries completely.

jonty

I think we'll always have some kind of bakery but it's inevitable that they will become more like other supermarkets where nothing is made from scratch and it's just a bit of fancy bread and a load of confec.

I do wonder if they will go as far as the Lidl model and have it all single item self serve.

The only thing I can think of is how popular the scratch rolls are, particularly in the summer when people have bbqs etc... We're even getting customer orders for xmas for scratch rolls as people are holding parties again.

I'm sure I read in a weekly bakery news pdf last year that Tesco earn a couple of million from all the rolls sales. Would this be an acceptable loss to them?

What do bake off stores do soft roll wise, is there a frozen substitute?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk