Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

16-04-24, 07:21AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,338
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 119
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 118
Total: 120

latest payslip - trying to understand

Started by person7, 28-04-22, 06:00PM

Previous topic - Next topic

person7

ok, im trying to understand my payslip as my payslip does not add up to what my calculator says i get!

it says:

Basic Pay: (here it has my normal pay without overtime or bank holiday rates)

Overtime and premium:
Bank holiday overtime DAY: £89.53
Bank Holiday premium: £16.71

I worked both good friday and easter monday (monday im contracted to, friday im not) so im just confused what the above means - i wish our payslips would state the days and hours we worked.

basically, Easter Monday i worked 8 working hours (9 hour shift, 1 hour break) instead of my usual contract of 7 working hours (8 hour shift, 1 hour break)

BUT myshift has me down as as 7hrs normal shift + 0.5 hours overtime (meaning im missing 30 minutes PAY already or should have had 1 hour 30 minute break not 1 hour - so this i will query with my manager ASAP as i want my 30 minutes pay or im gonna take extra breaks as im not working for free and i took 1 hour break that day)

Good Friday i did 7 hours (8 hour shift 1 hour break) overtime - which if was a bank holiday rate DOES add up IF the 0.5 extra hours monday was calcuated in the same costs on "bank holiday overtime"

Im guessing the premium is my normal monday shift with the extra added to make up for time and quarter - and the overtime day was good friday7 hours PLUS extra 30 minutes on the monday? - if so then its ALMOST correct ....except the missing 30 minutes!

am i correct that im just missing 30 minutes pay.. or has something else messed up as i cant get my head around this at the moment.

im get £29.19 LESS on my payslip compared to what i expected to get - but I forgot that overtime at the weekend may not be added yet - in which case im getting MORE then i expected .. BUT i did calculate good friend as £9.55 hour

because if i calculate everything up with good friday being bank holiday rates, then it DOES add up MINUS overtime weekend just gone (if that goes to next payslip instead of this) AND minus the 30 minutes missing both on myshift and my payslip -

meaning if I assume the weekend overtime i did few days ago this will go on next payslip, then im just missing 30 minutes bank holiday rate pay? am i correct? so i just tell my manager about the missing 30 minutes pay on bank holiday monday then i should be all good?

maths is NOT a strong point of mine and it took me over hour to try work out why my pay isn't matching!

Basically ... if i AM correct.. - if good friday and easter monday are BOTH time and quarter rates- and the weekend just gone (23/24th april) is NOT on this payslip - then everything is correct EXCEPT im missing £5.97 for 30 minutes on my 1 hour overtime on the monday? - might only be £5.97 but im not working 30 minutes for free because it was input wrong... (or i wasnt told to take extra 30 minutes break making it 1 hour 30 minute break instead my usual 1 hour)

why are the payslips so confusing during bank holidays now - especially when myshift has me down for the wrong break times!

Er17

person7

oh.. I've always had 1 hour breaks for 9 hour shifts before lol - maybe it was overridden by my manager then? I've only done about 3 or 4 nine hour shifts in past, usually its 8

cause every time i have an 8 hour shift i get 1 hour break and if i do a 9 hour shift the 1 hour is plenty of time so i would though it was the same unless you do a 10 hour shift - otherwise means only getting paid 30 minutes  to stay extra whole hour!

Er17

I would ask your manager if he/she has overridden it. If they have then ask why you have not been paid for the extra half hour.

Morris999

The manager hasn't overridden it, the system would have automatically issued 90mins of breaks for that length of shift as per company policy.
If you had agreed with your manager to only have 60mins of break then they will have to manually change it, however if you decided off your own back to take less, then that would be a conversation after the event with your manager.

person7

thanks for your help,

i'll ask my manager next shift, as normally every time i do a 9 hour we normally agree a 1 hour break because my normal 8 hour shifts are already 1 hour break (as thats what my contract hours are as i think usually its 45 minutes by default if im right) so i'll ask if it was manually input or if it was automatic from when i clocked in/out etc - as manager was off over easter weekend with looking after family off school etc. so it may been that. normally i get asked what i want for my breaks etc, if im only doing like an hour extra after my shift or an odd number of hours i dont normally do - in case i dont want the "default"

i just assumed 9 hours was 1 hour break, thanks for your input everyone!

Cinderella

It looks like a case of human error, as your manager was off. On the new W&P system when a shift is entered the break will be automatically set, according to policy. Within limits, these can be altered - for instance it is possible to enter a shift up to 11 hours and reduce the break to 30 mins. It gives an error message that the break isn't in line with company break policy, but the system allows it and pays accordingly.

So it really looks as if no one has changed your break from an hour and a half to a one hour on the day of the shift and just left it as the default.

I'm struggling to understand my payslip too - it's like they write these things in code! 😖

person7

yeah my manager wasn't in my next shift either but I messaged him and he said he will sort it out in the week while looking for any more overtime availability etc. so he will sort it from Easter as well as yesterday as I did 1 hour bank holiday May too - any longer I just get bored and I'd rather get extra 30 mins work done so he said he will double check the system and correct it.

Cinderella

That's great that it will get sorted!

Does anyone know what "unpaid sick leave retro" means on the payslip?

FarmerFred

Retro means that it has been carried over or amended from a previous pay period.

Cinderella

I don't understand whether I've been credited or debited for the hours shown. I went home early one day last month, after working more than half a shift, so I think it's connected to that, but the amount of hours written next to it isn't correct for the time I had remaining of the shift. I might go through colleague help to enquire about it 🤔

oldfashionedplayer

if your on work and pay now cinderella (most stores are), then unlike before where you got paid for the full shift, now you just get paid for the hours you've done and minus'd the hours you went home on, but i'd still raise it to check, they can clarify to be certain to be honest. often better than management in my experience.

FarmerFred

According to the current sickness policy you should still be paid to the end of your shift - no mention is made of it being any different for W&P stores.

Spidercatcher

I've never been able to make head nor tail of my wageslip, and according to loads of others I work with - as well as reading this thread - I see I'm not on my own.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: FarmerFred on 06-05-22, 08:23PM
According to the current sickness policy you should still be paid to the end of your shift - no mention is made of it being any different for W&P stores.

ah yeah your right, my bad, i got it mixed up with the last bit,

"If you have
less than half your shift left to work, your absence will not
be included in your absence levels. In both instances, you
will be paid until the end of your shift for that day
(colleagues who have moved to the Work & Pay payroll
system will only be paid subject to their company sick pay
allowance).
"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk