News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-04-24, 07:53PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,433
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 921
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 557
Total: 561

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffer

Backdoor staff should AT ALL TIMES be wearing the right kit for the job.
The Risk Assessment should be adhered to at ALL TIMES, regardless of what store management think, most would not know a RA if it bit them.
Take you time, work SAFE, you can only do what you can do,so no point in rushing and risking injury.
REMEMBER, Tesco put the rules in place to protect YOU, do not let anyone take away that protection.
H&S is EVERYONES responsibility, if a Stobbart driver is not aware of backdoor procedure then MAKE HIM AWARE, its your backdoor, if he will not comply, then refuse to continue unloading the vehicle until he does.
Work safe, stick to the rules ( make sure YOU know them) and accidents should be a rare occurrence. ;D

Always up...........
Never down
Biffer ( Moderator)

moooooo

i work....no sorry slave all day in the warehouse and as far as risk assesments are concerned their a joke i always wear my hi vis however contractors constantly going out to the roof with no hi vis  one vehicle in the yard policy you let a driver out and 2 come in (automatic gate which was manually operated for about 6 months heavy let me tell you) threshold at bay breaking up causing cages to get stuck (2 members of staff with pulled muscles) tip and fill my a**e tip and get out and leave it to the warehouseman more like 80% of my shift on my todd then get moaned for deliveries at gate when i come back from my break which is usually 5 hours into my shift couriers - s*** of the earth think they`re more important than anyone else i hate them pressing intercom like theres no tomorrow - i just turn the intercom off at the wall) and split down ffs most pain in the bum job in the world everyday after day after day and then negative feedback from nights rsu and dollies left at every1`s bums for us to clear up and rsu on a 2 sider GRRRRRRRRRRR and as for yards full of rsu i blame the dc as they do nowt but send split loads backhauls and change the goalposts

I WANT TO BE KNOWN AS A WAREHOUSEMAN AND NOT A BACKDOORMAN THANK YOU

I've edited your post so you don't beat the profanity filter , CS

iworktoohard

In regards to your statement: "I WANT TO BE KNOWN AS A WAREHOUSEMAN AND NOT A BACKDOORMAN THANK YOU" i am a backdoorman at work, and a warehouse/deliveries assistant out of work. who the hell came up with the term backdoorman.

and moooooo, remember you are paid one wage, and should only work for as much. we all want to do a good job, but rushing around and letting them put pressure on you isnt worth it. Couriers can lean on the buzzer all day long, but i generally leave them out there. then again i have manual gates so i can stop people diving in.

as for nights moaning about presorting, tell them would they rather you not bother at all?

and lastly, regarding rsu collections. we used to have a major problem getting 1 backhaul a day to corby chill, and 1 split load over night. communicate this to regional planning rather than the transport dept at the dc!

ooop, almost forgot. a fantastic term from a hinckley driver: "its not tip fill, its tip and f*** off aint it?"

Bigfoot

quote:
Originally posted by iworktoohard

"its not tip fill, its tip and f*** off aint it?"

Ah sounds like a few Harlow drivers I know!

Geezer100

There should be no reason for b.door staff to operate t/lifts.
I work at a store that has a bay, but have had to t-lift empty cages up from yard on one occasion.
Two personnel present. Driver gave me permission to operate u/slung t-lift. He was the one that suggested it, and I agreed. But making sure that he was well clear of t-lift when it was being moved.

iworktoohard

The only times a backdoorman at my store actually operates a tail lift during a tail lift load/unload, is when there is 2 people there and the driver gives the ok.

alarmingly, some of the stobarts pulling tesco wagons dunno how to even operate the underslung tail lifts, so its left to the backdoorman to operate it, or at very least extend it out and set it up.

iworktoohard

This is a true point PE, but my store has 3 loading bays and isnt classified as a tail lift store. although we do have side bars and a very large yard.

when the warehouse is full we have to 'go back to basics'.

The last time i had to do a tail lift delivery was because it was a split load with oakham, and they put it on the wrong size wagon as oakham's risk assessment says 12metre wagon with 2 axles and it came in on a 13.6 with 3. the driver came to my store saying you might aswell try and get your stock off as he wasnt going to go to oakham to risk getting stuck. we didnt have much room in our warehouse so me and my colleague took 28 cages of oakhams stock off in the yard, then our 8 cages, then reloaded the 28.

spot

gaffer

have you got an usdaw health and safety rep

the law states that if an accident requires hospital treatment or the injury results in more than three days sickness there's a form can't remember the ref number that the store has to fill out, if they don't the company can be prosecuted

and the company does look at accident books, they've only just started numbering them because the company realised stores had several on the go or sometimes misslaid them

so they introduced a new accident book with new investigation procedures and number books, so they can keep better track of the accidents

spot

usdaw have two types of reps that they train

general usdaw reps who deal with staff issues grievances personel issues etc
and then health and safety reps these reps just deal with health and safety issues and investigating accidents for union claims etc

if you haven't got a h&s rep why not look for one as usdaw will give them excellent training teaching them what the law states and how to use the law to members advantage

iworktoohard

I had an agency driver driving for crick tonight. came onto the loading bay wearing trainers    :P    :P

I asked if he had any steel toe cap boots or shoes and he said he forgot them.

if i forget my steel toe shoes/boots, i'm not allowed onto my department.

i rang up crick transport and spoke to a manager and reported name on RDR.

I dont want a cage of pop bottles or tins weighing between 300kg-600kg running over some agency drivers foot, then trying to sue the company, nor do i want the paper work or it to happen as it isnt a nice thing to see!

I would expect any backdoorman to stop any driver doing the same, be them agency or tesco distro staff.

spot

i remember in the 80's a female pulled a cage onto her toe and dislocated her knee trying to pull her foot out

she had a squashed toe and an injured knee in one go

and what was amazing was the rep worked out the weight of the cage
it was full of long life milk

he weighed one case, and counted a similar cage full of milk
and it was not far short of of tonne

Chairswan

I was told by a driver one day: safe working limit for a four-sided cage is 500kg.

Safe working limit for a two-sided cage: unlimited >:D

Geezer100

How they figure that out?

iworktoohard

Actually on the claire's merchandise handling equipment website it has tesco roll cages stating the weight limit is 600kg. i strongly doubt anyone has weighed a cage though whilst picking.

The Mrs

Cardboard on fire:

http://www.horshamonline.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2696492&SectionID=507

The Mrs (Administrator)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much. Walter Lippman

iworktoohard

Regarding the above link. Its irritating to see "cow shed's" built over yards and signs put up on the inside entrance saying

COW SHED

FOR RSU AND BULK SEASONAL LINES ONLY.

only to be filled full of non food, health and beauty, and even grocery lines within months and conveniently left in there. the cow shed at my store still has the sign up. the cow shed is only 3 years old. now my yard is decreased in size, and we put cardboard/plastic cages and trays in there making it smaller. gusts of wind send plastic and card into the razorwire and over into the hedges around the yard too. we clean the yard, but not the surrounding area.

if a single cage caught on fire, there would be a major problem. during the week there could be anywhere between 40 and 150 card cages, and upto 90 dollies&trays. they are stored upto the wall of the cowshed, but as the cowshed is classified as a temporary structure, there is apparently no rules being broken, except the RA which is still out of date.. the cowshed walls are fibreglass, easy to burn through. i am unsure if there are sprinklers in the cow shed.

this is a worst case scenario, but you know the saying... s*** happens.

as for what i'm doing about it, i've been requesting a new RA for months now. seem to be slowly getting there, although if dot com moves it may be out of date again in a few months pending a refit over summer. i somewhat doubt the store manager would care much about fire safety as he was quite amicable to have fireworks stored behind the cardboard next to the cow shed after the fireworks container was removed.

in a perfect world, the cow shed would be for rsu again.

Little Tinker

Hey The Mrs, they wernt near the motorbike shed were they  8)  8)

8)  [8)]

You cannot always control what goes on outside. But you can always control what goes on inside.

Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

Geezer100

Talking bout fires, our IST decided to do a genrator test run on Fri, as apparently it needed to be done every so often. Exhaust fumes soon filled the cowshed, the door to which was shut. Duty mngr was called, and it turned out they were not aware of anything happening. He went into yard, and found IST. IST informed him what was happening.
But in the meantime, there was several comments from Courier drivers, asking if we had a fire. It's a wonder no-one called the fire-briagde!

Rusty06

hi, im new here so..

i work at quite a big store (not tesco..), we have 2 docks and a scissor lift although one of the docks is currently blocked by 2 freezer containers during the refit. Also, we have several electric pallet trucks with the Forks extension, which eliminate problems with handling awkward rollpallets ;)

I've worked on and off the back door for about 6 months, although this week i start a proper contract on the backdoor.

Near Christmas we had a few accidents:

Firstly, wagon drivers were getting a bit keen, several of our drinks MUs were hit 2 nights in a row, even though the drinks MUs were no where near the painted turning circle

Then one night, me and another backdoorman (both wearing hi-viz) and the driver were loading empty rollers onto the wagon. We push the rollers to the bottom of the docking ramp, where the driver then loads them. me and the other employee came around the blind corner with about 20-25 rollers, to find the driver stationary on the ramp... he wasn't wearing hi-viz, so we didn't see him.. he then found himself under about 6 rollpallets.. OUCH. but eventually it appeared that he was to blame, as he wasn't wearing hi-viz

Another example of the driver getting in the way, i was loading empty boards of crates one evening when the driver jumped infront of the crates.. i have no idea what he was thinking.

in our store we don't have the pressure of bad management. our management is very good, so that takes some stress from the situation, although we still end up caught short with 1 person unloading.

Anyway, like i said my new contract begins soon.. ill try and get some snaps of our back door ;)

The Mrs

Welcome to VLH, Rusty. Enjoy, have fun and tell your friends.  ;D

The Mrs (Administrator)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much. Walter Lippman

Anne

Welcome to Vlh Rusty. Make yourself comfy!  ;D

Anne (moderator)

There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Rusty06

Thanks guys!!

forgot to add, a few times I've had a roll pallet tip over, normally the old style ones (without backs) when im trying to be clever and take 2 at once :D the checker-plate surface on the docking bay ramp is ideal for turning the rollpallet's wheels the wrong way... >:/

but now  i take them on the electric trucks, its safer and saves time ;)

Bigfoot

Ah the Sainsbury's equipment jargon! More to learn  :(

"Full load of banana MU's?"

Rusty06

damn you figured me out!! i feel like an outsider lol. but theres no place for us like VLH

Roll pallet /rollers = cadge
board = pallet

We don't have 4 siders', just 2 siders' (golds) and 3 siders' (silvers, or gold with a shelf)

anyway, slightly o/t there

Theflying_guillotine

There is the story from our store about the unity driver going under the dock leveller & almost losing his leg.  I always dismissed that as an urban myth, apparently no it did happen.

I had a dollie collapse today & a tray hit my leg.

Have had a few near misses with Cages/BMU's?Trays falling off the tail lift when loading Peterborough

That is freakin' sweet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk