Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:19PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,124
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Social distancing for workers

Started by dfl, 16-04-20, 05:14PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

Quote from: Twinkletoes on 21-04-20, 06:53PM
At silverburn Scotland it seems as if social dusbtancing is a joke amongst management and certain staff.   Facebook group has numerous pics of them standing next to each other for recognition, staff huddling together for chatd, dot com invading aisles by the dozen and standing next to each other or reaching over staff of they work.   If you ask management to do something about it they laugh,  tell you to keep working or say if you don't like it then go home.   No attempt made to make staff safety priority! Disgusting

Then you reply...."no I don't like it, I don't like the fact that you are failing in your duty of care, failing to comply with government guidelines regarding social distancing in the workplace, and failing to react to my genuine concerns presented to you as to my wellbeing, therefore I intend to remove myself from the situation, and will be in the restroom until you can either provide a safe environment for me to continue to fulfill my contract, or instruct me to leave the building."
If you are a union member, request a union rep to be immediately sent to the restroom for you to speak to. If not, request the H&S rep be sent. If a manager sends you home, they must pay you in full, whether it be suspension or not!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

darklighter

Unfortunatley, Tesco are becoming a joke on social media with people posting pictures of staff huddled together like there is no pandemic.

Either take it seriously and start motivating certain staff as to how serious a situation the UK is in or shut the shops that are not adhering to Government guidelines and by default bringing the Tesco name into disrepute as if it needs anymore bad publicity!.

Mark calloway

Some from our store are posting videos of themselves dancing together in the warehouse. Idiots

darklighter

They should be dancing to a disciplinary and yes, I know it is a difficult time for everyone and takes some getting used to, but surely now they understand how dire the situation is at the moment and realise they are putting themselves and others at risk by their actions.

hesketh

I visited my local Express yesterday and the woman outside, exhorting people to queue 2m apart, was leaning on the door frame. When I suggested that she stand back to allow people to pass more than a foot from her she said "There are other shops you know".

I, politely, spoke to the manager who seemed to recognise my concern and he said he would speak to her. When I left the shop a few minutes later I almost had to squeeze past her. I'm afraid to say that I was a little rude, not aggressive or offensive, but she still didn't get it......
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

Twinkletoes

Some staff it seems are as mentally unbalanced as the management.   Beat part are the dot com sporting social distancing tshirts.   The irony...

Crazy Caz

Quote from: lucgeo on 21-04-20, 10:04PM
Quote from: Twinkletoes on 21-04-20, 06:53PM
At silverburn Scotland it seems as if social dusbtancing is a joke amongst management and certain staff.   Facebook group has numerous pics of them standing next to each other for recognition, staff huddling together for chatd, dot com invading aisles by the dozen and standing next to each other or reaching over staff of they work.   If you ask management to do something about it they laugh,  tell you to keep working or say if you don't like it then go home.   No attempt made to make staff safety priority! Disgusting
silverburn in general is a joke anyway. Managers never listen to the staff at the best of times.
I fear for my colleagues. No understanding of social distancing at all. 🙈🙉🙊

Then you reply...."no I don't like it, I don't like the fact that you are failing in your duty of care, failing to comply with government guidelines regarding social distancing in the workplace, and failing to react to my genuine concerns presented to you as to my wellbeing, therefore I intend to remove myself from the situation, and will be in the restroom until you can either provide a safe environment for me to continue to fulfill my contract, or instruct me to leave the building."
If you are a union member, request a union rep to be immediately sent to the restroom for you to speak to. If not, request the H&S rep be sent. If a manager sends you home, they must pay you in full, whether it be suspension or not!

Jondoe2016

I have had to visit 2 stores lately and I think it’s an absolute joke. Managers are defo the worst. They aren’t staying 2 metres apart, they all jump into the confidential office which is small as it is and 5 managers going in to gossip is ridiculous. They also have a second set of stairs to go to the colleague areas and offices but the second set is sealed off for no practical reason. If they opened them up, there could be a one way system. Safety is a joke at the minute

londoner83

I think all colleagues need to rethink their approach to social distancing. The worst at my store are the self serve/SAYS cashiers who constantly rightly raise concerns about customers getting too close,  but think nothing about standing side by side with their colleagues during quiet spells.

lucgeo

I have taken to wearing a mask and gloves for my weekly shop now...it seems the local Tesco is becoming more lax. Last week, a colleague sneezed in the aisle I was in, without any attempt to cover his mouth!
Yesterday, there was no queuing when I arrived at 10.30, the store was quiet but I did note more customers per aisle, and no barrier at CSD. More filling and cages, but I was able to purchase two bottles of handwash YAY! (We've been using washing up liquid for the last three weeks!)
The checkouts are still being protected with customers waiting for an allocation, however I did notice two guys at the front end work station, literally shoulder to shoulder, one collecting print offs and the other using the screen and keyboard ...they stood chatting together, their heads closer than my partner's and I have been since lockdown :o they then swapped sides for the other to use the keyboard  :-X
As I left the store, I did note that queuing was again in place and being monitored!

NightAndDay

Sneezing isn't a symptom of Coronavirus so hopefully you'll be fine, stores are still implementing social distancing so if it was complied with, you should be fine.

Express stores have extended opening hours from 8pm to 10pm and relaxed the customer limit per store, I haven't been to a superstore since the the lockdown so can't say what it's like there, but in Express, everything seems to be quite well ordered and maintained.

almostlost

Which express have you been in ?

Mine hasn't extended hours, we close an hour early still, customer limit in store is still the same as it was 2 weeks ago.

There is also zero social distancing as far as colleagues are concerned. 2 behind a till when both need to be opened, spirits/lottery/cigarettes/paypoint are all behind the tills.  The gap between the till drawer and the cigarette gantry is way less than 2m.  Nothing has been said about that.  Staff room isn't big enough to have more than one person in, management/other staff are still strolling on while others are sat on a break. 

But hey, as long as the public see plastic screens and think Tesco are concerned ...

King1999

Good job we're not being made redundant like the bakers ........ it's lovely to see how little value these greedy twats put on staff now......So why would they give a f*** about your health at work they've  washed their hands of it......hide behind emails and helplines and put inept managers in charge of these processes.Health mental or physical they don't care.

gomezz

Quote from: NightAndDay on 23-04-20, 01:59PM
Sneezing isn't a symptom of Coronavirus so hopefully you'll be fine
Neither is sneezing proof of not having the virus.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

darklighter

Precisely, gomezz, someone could either have mild symptoms or be a carrier, walk through the household aisle and take a bout of sneezing, infecting products and possibly transmitting it to someone who may take more severe symtoms.

Mark calloway

Quote from: londoner83 on 23-04-20, 07:36AM
I think all colleagues need to rethink their approach to social distancing. The worst at my store are the self serve/SAYS cashiers who constantly rightly raise concerns about customers getting too close,  but think nothing about standing side by side with their colleagues during quiet spells.
correct. Don't get me started about the stupid plebs dancing in the warehouse together then posting it on Facebook to lift spirits. Bulls**t

Jedi4.20

So I work on the night shift 💤💤
And there still making us do team fills I’m talking like 13/16 people down one isle
I have told them I am not taking part and now I’m seen as the trouble maker how is this right. 
Anyone else having this trouble

lucgeo

You do right...suprised the rest of the shift hasn't taken your stance  ???

Tell 'em you'd rather be KNOWN as a trouble maker, than be REMEMBERED as a Lemming  >:(

Redshoes

Quote from: Mark calloway on 24-04-20, 09:33AM
Quote from: londoner83 on 23-04-20, 07:36AM
correct. Don't get me started about the stupid plebs dancing in the warehouse together then posting it on Facebook to lift spirits. Bulls**t
Sometimes we spend more time with colleagues than we do with our own family. I know I do. We do try to do the social distancing. We work hard at it but it goes from becoming a natural thing to do now to forgetting about it for a moment and not realising had closed the distance between us.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk