News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-04-24, 12:00PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,432
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 581
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 578
Total: 580

Face Masks

Started by Welshie, 10-07-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaz123

Jeez, the 'special snowflakes' on this thread....

me-only-me

Am a night worker..and been told there will be consequences if we don't wear face covering, as I replenish shelves (that's posh for shelf filler), i am on and off of stools and find this ludicrous, the government said highly recommended  stores are saying abide by our  laws. Having worn mask for 20 minutes  and found it hard to breath, how many workers will drop before Tesco realise these masks should be  there for anyone that need and wants to wear , not threatened and bullied into it, for once the government has thought of retail workers.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Heard it all threats of disciplinary, consequences and suspension for not wearing a mask/visor. Let them try it.

dotnochance

Tesco are allowed to make any rules they want as a private company, that don’t break any laws! if you don’t like it quit.
“ Having worn mask for 20 minutes  and found it hard to breath, how many workers will drop before Tesco realise.” lol what?? Man some people are literal children.

King1999

Nice advise obviously a friendly type ...... anyway out of trading hours which I believe covers nights unless 24hours you shouldn't be made to wear a mask......includes back areas when trading no masks unless you want to.Nice sensible advise not dictating what to do......challenge them and get it in writing official,bet they won't push it.You don't work for twatco to be bullied.

King1999

And just add you will probably be better using a visor over a mask,have you been offered these ....????

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: me-only-me on 24-07-20, 05:04PM
Am a night worker..and been told there will be consequences if we don't wear face covering, as I replenish shelves (that's posh for shelf filler), i am on and off of stools and find this ludicrous, the government said highly recommended  stores are saying abide by our  laws. Having worn mask for 20 minutes  and found it hard to breath, how many workers will drop before Tesco realise these masks should be  there for anyone that need and wants to wear , not threatened and bullied into it, for once the government has thought of retail workers.

Just read the bit on covid information, there's a q and a final that was sent to managers and been made available to all, it's only strongly advised, so if you don't want to wear one then it's your choice. Not your managers choice.

Halftone84

A friend that works dotcom has had a meeting today and has been told she HAS to wear a mask, and has to buy and wear her own mask by next shift ...

Preacherpauly

Tesco leaving it up to the shopper if they want to wear  a mask. People on twitter asking why staff don't enforce it. Why should we, the wage isn't worth the abuse from people who refuse to wear one.

manbearpig

We've had a colleague today who has a medical condition that prevents her from wearing a mask, she had a signed doctor's note and even referenced Tesco and government policy on mask wearing: her manager didn't want to know and just said you're going to wear one. I think she's going to the union about it though, but it's madness it needs to go that far when it's black and white in Tesco's own policy which managers were briefed on.

Fredthered

Security are just letting people in without masks and saying nothing to stop them

chris9997

Quote from: me-only-me on 24-07-20, 05:04PM
Tesco policy is if your store is not open there is no requirement to wear a mask, if your store is closed overnight your MM are not permitted to make their own rules, otherwise if all stores had their own rules and did not follow HO instructions the workplace would be chaos, oh wait a minute it is.

oldfashionedplayer

your also not required at all to wear one if you don't want to wear one, it's only advised that you do.

Redshoes

Quote from: Fredthered on 25-07-20, 02:21AM
Security are just letting people in without masks and saying nothing to stop them

I work in a Scottish store and we have had the masks longer. It's not up to us to police the masks. We can only advise, it's not up to us to police. We should not judge those who can't wear a masks due to a medical condition. Most people do comply, it's mostly just the few that have forgotten but there is a huge rise in the tubular walking masks in our area.
Colleagues are complying too, only issue is with a couple of people who have asthma that find it difficult to even wear a visor. One who can't wear one works on self service so has been moved to checkouts, no big deal. Some have chosen to buy masks and visors. A couple of colleagues are making them. In all the time we have done this we have had one complaint about 30 mins in about a customer not wearing one but we now put out regular a tannoy to say some people can't wear due to medical condition.

lucgeo

Quote from: Preacherpauly on 24-07-20, 11:48PM
Tesco leaving it up to the shopper if they want to wear  a mask. People on twitter asking why staff don't enforce it. Why should we, the wage isn't worth the abuse from people who refuse to wear one.

Just seen video of Dolly Parton hit Jolene parodied to "Karen, please just wear a mask " on a late night American talk show. It shows the violent reaction of some shoppers refusing to wear a mask, and public figures condemning the wearing of them.
We all know that what happens in America, makes its way over here, just hope the British culture of polite constraint withholds.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Totot

First day in my shop so many people dont wear it and didnt care. We still let them in and serve them.
Later in the evening, a police officer came in, bought something, and a man with no mask came in, walk next to him, not saying anything, pretend to look somewhere else.

Another  hour another police officer came in, no mask, saw me, stop and seem cant decide then walk through the isle and do shopping. Who are we anyway a mere ca can stop people not wearing mask entering the shop or tell them to wear it.

lucgeo

Were no masks made available at the front of store for people to purchase, As stated on by a Tesco spokesperson?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lemons84

The store manager where I work was walking up to the younger members of staff and bullying them into wearing a face covering. He didn’t dare try it with some of us ‘older’ members of staff.

He was asking people why they were wearing one and was then telling them that it made Tesco look bad if the didn’t wear one.

He also had the cheek to say that ‘Tesco are doing it to protect their staff’

Where were the masks and other PPE 5 months ago when we were really in the thick of it? Too little too late!

sammy

Yesterday morning all staff had them on by lunchtime only a very small number had them on. Today only 4 people had them on and this is in a big extra store

Mutti

I'm on checkouts, behind a screen obviously, and have worked throughout the pandemic without wearing a mask.
However, I started wearing the ones supplied by Tesco on Friday and will continue to do so as long as customers are required to.
I don't like it much, it's hot, annoying and makes my specs steam up, but it honestly doesn't affect my breathing.
When it gets on my nerves, I manage to stop myself from being such a wuss by thinking about my daughter wearing one for an entire 12 hour shift.

gaz123

At last, someone talking sense!

Halftone84

Quote from: lemons84 on 25-07-20, 06:08PM
He also had the cheek to say that ‘Tesco are doing it to protect their staff’

Isn't the whole point of masks to stop you passing it on, not to stop you contracting the virus ?

Bingo

I felt safer when no one wore a mask and they kept their distance away from me. For some reason people think if they wear a mask they can practically clamber all over you whilst you are trying to put stock out.  They’re not even wearing them covering both their nose and face.

dotnochance

Got to protect that chin

manbearpig

Quote from: Mutti on 26-07-20, 09:35PM
I'm on checkouts, behind a screen obviously, and have worked throughout the pandemic without wearing a mask.
However, I started wearing the ones supplied by Tesco on Friday and will continue to do so as long as customers are required to.
I don't like it much, it's hot, annoying and makes my specs steam up, but it honestly doesn't affect my breathing.
When it gets on my nerves, I manage to stop myself from being such a wuss by thinking about my daughter wearing one for an entire 12 hour shift.

There's a bit of a difference having to wear a mask while replenishing shelves and wearing one while just sitting at a checkout. If you're replenishing shelves you're having to pull heavy cages, lift and move stock, it's a very physical job which is only made harder due to wearing the masks. I'm literally sweating within 10 minutes and the moisture builds up instantly inside the mask.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk