News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 02:08AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,361
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 390
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 356
Total: 356

Face Masks

Started by Welshie, 10-07-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

No worries.  I was thinking more about some customers being more laissez-faire in distancing etc which in part seems to be because some of my colleagues are also being less scrupulous (allowing customers to take the bags from the trays themselves, for example).
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Welshie

Yep , that's what happens here . They sat trays on doorstep , we take out the bags , then set tray to the side , they set down more trays . It's an odd one with us though as we know most drivers .

londoner83

I wonder if in WW2 when the government issued gas masks and advised people to wear them to prevent deaths from gas attacks people had the attitude displayed by many on here to masks.

If admitted to hospital how many would turn down a oxygen mask or ventilator as is a muzzle on their face?

VladPutin

I've been wearing face coverings of various types since Lockdown started. Yeah, they can be uncomfortable at time, especially during busy periods when you are rushing around trying to get things done. But they are the lesser of two evils.

If someone has a genuine medical condition, like asthma, tell your manager. They should be alright with you not wearing a mask. They are in my store.

Mark calloway

Quote from: londoner83 on 19-07-20, 04:23PM
I wonder if in WW2 when the government issued gas masks and advised people to wear them to prevent deaths from gas attacks people had the attitude displayed by many on here to masks.

If admitted to hospital how many would turn down a oxygen mask or ventilator as is a muzzle on their face?
exactly. So many have the "you're not telling me what to do" attitude but when it goes wrong they are the first to scream " you didn't tell me"

person7

Quote from: dotnochance on 16-07-20, 08:31PM
Then how come over in countries like Japan it’s been the norm for decades to wear masks I’ve been many times and I’ve seen them use it in supermarkets loads of times.
And not designed for retail work??  ;D ;D ;D What a load of rubbish they are designed to be used in ANY field.

Exactly! I mean even with my asthma the Japanese/Chinese masks I can breath through and many don't steam up as they are/can be shaped well around nose due to elasticity or nose pinchers.

And they been wearing them since 1920s before most of us were born and yet they manage to work in retail and everything without fainting.

Granted some will have more serious breathing issues but there's face guards. Worst case use a face guard instead of a mask. Simple as that if customers all wear them.

I can't wait as due to my asthma and medical review Tesco can't let me work on shop floor until past 6pm so 60% my shift is wondering around their back-stock as there's no masks or face guards (even though I'm supposed to have my own personal one as signed by the contract to return as I'm still moderate risk).

Piggo64

WoW loads of ignorance on here. Do your own research on the effectiveness of face coverings. Particularly the effect on wearing them for long periods of time.Never just blindly comply to anything!

trivi

For those working in shops, the Government now strongly advises that face coverings are worn. As we have throughout the pandemic, we will be following Government advice and will be asking colleagues to wear face coverings. It will not be mandatory, but colleagues should be strongly encouraged to wear a face covering, discussing with their manager if they feel they have a reason not to.

adamlad

Our shop has been told it is mandatory to wear them and can only be removed when eating or drinking. Apparently it is policy and came down today albeit I have not seen anything in writing

trivi

definatly not mandatory but strongly encouraged

Theodore

Mandatory in our store .

trivi

What I posted is word for word what came down in comms centre this afternoon. Any managers saying it mandatory are ignoring policy and law

Theodore

I'm only repeating what I have been told. We are all being told to wear masks from Friday. So it will be interesting to see where we all stand. Can our store manager force us to wear them etc.

lemons84

Is there an update yet on the staff portal or Our Tesco?

I work alongside a lot of part time staff who aren’t at work until later in the week so it would be helpful to actually see something somewhere.

Siwel123

Should our managers update as soon as possible if it has come down on Comms? I've been in all afternoon and when a manager was asked they said they hadn't heard anything

manbearpig

Just heard from my manager he has word from Tesco that from Friday face masks are compulsory while on shop floor unless the store is closed.

trivi

3. What should I do if a colleague refuses to wear a mask?

Wearing a face covering can be uncomfortable and you should take the time to understand the colleague’s concerns and if they are exempt for any reason. It is strongly recommended by the Government, that colleagues working in store wear a mask, but it is ultimately an individual’s choice and responsibility. Where there is a significant concern, we should offer a face visor (if available) as an alternative to a mask before considering non-customer facing duties.

beentheredoneit

Shop workers do not legally have to wear masks
The company would strongly advise all colleagues to follow the government's advice and wear one.
This will obviously stop customers from asking why we don't have to. Briefing pack down today - every one should be briefed by their line manager. Ask if not been briefed.
beentheredoneit

manbearpig

Quote from: beentheredoneit on 20-07-20, 05:18PM
Shop workers do not legally have to wear masks
The company would strongly advise all colleagues to follow the government's advice and wear one.
This will obviously stop customers from asking why we don't have to. Briefing pack down today - every one should be briefed by their line manager. Ask if not been briefed.

I've had a completely different message from my store today. The management at my store have said that Tesco as a company have made it compulsory for all colleagues to wear a facemask on the shop floor... is my store lying?

Munchkin

Yes theyre lying.... No surprise there though

manbearpig

Would be useful if there was actually some official communication from tesco on ourtesco or via email. Instead we're getting mixed messages from management

lemons84

I think management like to use fear as a tool instead of working with staff.. it’s a power trip for some of them and if they can get away with it they will only give you half the information you need.

expressman77

Sainsburys are making it compulsary .
its being added to terms and conditions as part of uniform .
cant see what the big deal is , if your manager ask you to wear mask why do people want to be argue just for
sake of it ,
if Tesco dont ask you to wear it and you became ill you will be the first people compining you wasnt protected

manbearpig

So the briefing from Tesco is that it's not mandatory then?

BadHairDay

Is any one hear from a store based in Wales? I was under the impression that wearing face masks was being enforced in England and Wales it was voluntary. I was told today that everyone had to wear a mask regardless.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk