Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 06:10PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,370
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 388
Total: 390

Assistance re Night Manager for over 2 years and still on the lowest basic pay s

Started by Poltergeist, 07-11-20, 10:32AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poltergeist

Hi all. I’ve been a member for quite a while and have never posted. I have found this site invaluable for research when trying to establish what really is reality when being obfuscated by prevailing perceived powers in charge. With perceived been the operational word here! 😊

Perhaps you can assist. I am a humble and hardworking CA (like most of us on this site). I have a really nice Night Manager who was signed off about two years ago (may his niceness and empathy never change 🤗).

His question is:

“I’ve been a night manager for over 2 years and am still on the lowest basic pay salary. Should I have had a non performance base pay rise during the last 2 years? I’ve been in this role for this period. I also get £4000.00 in premium. Is this correct? If so, does this mean I will stay on the salary stated on appointment?  I’ve tried querying this repeatedly, but get stonewalled every time. Searching OurTesco hasn’t come up with any insight either”.

Could anyone give any insight?

Many thanks in advance for enlightenment Dudes and Dudettes

Morris999

Depending on when he/she was signed off to be a Manager, they could have had two annual pay rises, both of which were in July and would depend on your annual reviews.
I think but could be wrong here, that you would only not get a pay rise if you got a miss miss in them.
They should have been given a personally addressed letter each time detailing what they were getting in each annual rise.

Non performance pay rises for managers went with the last manager restructure in 2015, however that being said most SM’s and PM’s never actually gave there managers them.
And were very evasive when asked/challenged about it, as it saved the store wages bill for other things, Like covering the stores weekly overspend.
It created a situation where you had some managers on more money than Lead Team/Deputy managers and at the other end Team Leaders earning more than Line managers.

If your manager hasn’t actually had a pay rise in the 2 years, then they should first query it with the Store manager then if no luck the People Partner.

Poltergeist

Thank you. I’ve suggested to him that he logs in as a guest so he can see the replies and respond accordingly! You are a Superstar  :)

[admin]Anybody browsing VLH can read the replies, they have to register as a member to reply to posts. Support VLH to start new threads.[/admin]

spike_pkh

From the sound of your post it seems like he has had a performance based pay rise but not an additional pay rise. If this is correct then it seems that may be all he will get.

When I was management the only way to get a pay rise (not annual performance based) was to change job role or store and negotiate it.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Poltergeist on 07-11-20, 10:32AM
Hi all. I’ve been a member for quite a while and have never posted. I have found this site invaluable for research when trying to establish what really is reality when being obfuscated by prevailing perceived powers in charge. With perceived been the operational word here! 😊

Perhaps you can assist. I am a humble and hardworking CA (like most of us on this site). I have a really nice Night Manager who was signed off about two years ago (may his niceness and empathy never change 🤗).

His question is:

“I’ve been a night manager for over 2 years and am still on the lowest basic pay salary. Should I have had a non performance base pay rise during the last 2 years? I’ve been in this role for this period. I also get £4000.00 in premium. Is this correct? If so, does this mean I will stay on the salary stated on appointment?  I’ve tried querying this repeatedly, but get stonewalled every time. Searching OurTesco hasn’t come up with any insight either”.

Could anyone give any insight?

Many thanks in advance for enlightenment Dudes and Dudettes

As far as I'm aware, the current pay band for non-options or grad scheme team managers not including premiums ranges from £22.5k a year to 31k a year, I believe (I could be wrong here) that Team Managers are just about classed as WL2 employees, below express SMs, the lowest in the hierarchy of salaried roles.

Now to give some insight into his salary expectations, hourly paid roles have just recently received a 30p pay rise. Team Managers are higher in the hierarchy than Shift Leaders who are currently on £11.16 an hour and are entitled to premium payments such as night premium at £2.21 an hour for hours worked between midnight and 6am and an additional £2.21 if they worked from 10pm until the end if the night premium window and sunday/bank holiday premium at 1.25x hourly rate.

If we take into consideration that a Shift Leader works 2 out of every 4 sundays and 3 bank holidays every year, on a 36.5 hour a week contract (Express SLs also get their breaks paid if they're unable to take their break if no suitably empowered deputy is in place), but for the sake of simplicity we will leave this out of the upcoming calculation.

Shift Leader used in example Annual salary = £11.16 × 36.5 x 52 + (£2.79 x 6.5 x 29) = £21,707.59 a year.

The £4,000 night premium you mentioned does sound about right for a salaried role, if we used the hourly paid method, it woukd be

£2.21 × 5.5 x 5 x 52 = £3160.30 (2.21 = night premium rate, 5.5  = total hours of night premium in one shift (10pm-7am would get you 7 hours of night premium - the 1.5 hour break)  5 = 5 shifts a week, 52 = 52 weeks a year to come up with the annual figure.)

Mrbline

if he works Sat in to sun   he wil get sunday prem from 00:00 to 0600 and 2 hours Sun in to monday so hes pay should be more than 4000 i get about 6200

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk