News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

01-05-24, 07:27AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,436
  • Total Topics: 641
  • Online today: 315
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 296
Total: 298

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.O.B

I’ve heard conference calls are taking place today - potentially with advice for people like me with pre-existing medical conditions.  I’m in at work today (I’m a Dotcom driver), but have a large bottle of sanitizer in my van and am asking EVERY customer whether they’re self-isolating before I even consider setting foot through a door.   

Civil-ladies

I'm off holiday this wk but not sure where I stand with the self-isolating situation as my whole family is asthmatic. Should we be staying home or carry on until 1 of us get symptoms? My husband don't come into contact with anyone at work, my kids are in college and secondary school, both still open and at just as much risk as I am at work. Got Drs tomorrow, been told I'll get a phone call instead of going to the surgery.

StinkyPoo

My store is also closed midnight until 6am from yesterday. It's an extra in the South East

taliahad

Quote from: lucgeo on 16-03-20, 07:56AM
Quote from: taliahad on 15-03-20, 05:16PM
Quote from: lucgeo on 15-03-20, 04:56PM
So you wouldn't be catching anything when you type your pin onto the card reader, or ATM ???

I could cover my hand whilst using a chip and pin machine, I can go straight home and wash my hands, I could wipe it over before use, I could use contactless maybe.  I'm just saying cash is dirty and I have seen people put notes in their mouths.  If customers use a card, I don't have to touch it, I don't have to pick up change and hand it to them, all this is potentially spreading the virus.

Perhaps you'd be better shopping online...but then, would you trust the delivery to be sterile enough for you to take into your home?

Well maybe I would but I'm only saying that cash is dirty and full of germs and if customers pay by card, then I don't have to have contact with their money.  Them using the card reader doesn't involve me, or any other cashier.  I know everything else if full of germs and viruses but this is one step that could be taken.  I don't understand why people are being so hostile. 

lucgeo

I'm not being hostile...far from it, I just don't agree with you. You use the trolleys, which haven't seen a good wash since the day they were made. If you were made consciously aware of the amount of times you touch contaminated areas, you'd walk around with your hands swathed in sterile bandages and covered in plastic!
I understand your reluctance, but if it affects you so much, make arrangements to protect yourself! 

Which going by Nomads's articles thread, is going to be verrrryyyy difficult for you!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

VladPutin

I've heard that two of thee Big Four are stopping their home deliveries. Tesco is booked up days in advance.

taliahad

Quote from: lucgeo on 17-03-20, 04:05PM
I'm not being hostile...far from it, I just don't agree with you. You use the trolleys, which haven't seen a good wash since the day they were made. If you were made consciously aware of the amount of times you touch contaminated areas, you'd walk around with your hands swathed in sterile bandages and covered in plastic!
I understand your reluctance, but if it affects you so much, make arrangements to protect yourself! 

Which going by Nomads's articles thread, is going to be verrrryyyy difficult for you!

You're missing my point.  Customers use the trolleys.  When I use a trolley now, I clean it, push it on the side wire only and scrub my hands afterwards.  Take away cash and that's one less risk, just one but a big one.  You might as well argue that it makes no sense to advise people against attending pubs, social gatherings etc but allow them to go to the supermarket and you'd have a good point.  I'm just saying that if you took away cash (just for the time being) you'd take away one of the ways in which this virus spreads.  How many coins and notes are covered in this virus do you think?

fatboy

VladPutin....... cant see that 2 of the supermarkets are going to stop delivering at a time like this. Surely this is the time when people are going to be relying more & more on this service.

wishicouldgo

I am having to self isolate as wife has developed really bad dry cough.
I have just heard that managers are telling people in store that tesco is not going to pay me for first week even though govt has said to stay home and an email from tesco says to follow advise and 111 advise.
Anyone able to confirm this.

Levi4995

@wishicouldgo that’s incorrect all absences related to the virus are counted as paid not unpaid or holidays. It’s disgusting that managers are saying this nonsense to scare monger staff. You get paid for day 1 as well not day 4 as some staff lose their first 3 days. You should be fully paid.

TheAnonymousWorker

I too have had a colleague just message me saying a manager has said its a week unpaid. What is the clear company policy? If there isn’t one, can someone please send the tesco email address so I can email the company with clear questions for clarification.
Thanks

Hammer10

Give them a gentle reminder that it is the government saying paid from day one then tell them you are going to email your mp then email the bbc or sky that should shut them up.

wishicouldgo

Just spoke to the store tesco update to stores this afternoon is paid for normal shifts in first 7 days also saying Gov and 111 are only advising and not telling you to stay home so tesco saying it's your choice as it's not a direct instruction to stay home.
Tesco are playing their normal word games.
I was also told company having another meeting friday to decide what happens next.
So I could be placed in the position of having  to go to work possibly carrying the virus or facing losing a weeks pay because the gov and 111 are only advising

blueberet

Quote from: TheAnonymousWorker on 17-03-20, 06:24PM
I too have had a colleague just message me saying a manager has said its a week unpaid. What is the clear company policy? If there isn’t one, can someone please send the tesco email address so I can email the company with clear questions for clarification.
Thanks
The policy was posted in another thread... https://cdn.ourtesco.com/2020/02/17125258/ammended-people-policies-national-disasterpandemicv1517march2020.pdf

from page 10
Where a colleague has been confirmed as having Coronavirus (COVID-19) or has been advised to attend isolation or self-isolate, they will be paid from the first day of absence.The same will apply for colleagues who have a new, continuous cough or temperature over 37.8oCwho are self-isolating for 14days(7 days where they live on their own). Waiting days will continue to apply for all non-pandemic related absence.Where a colleague lives with someone who has been confirmed as having Coronavirus(COVID-19) or they live with someone who is self-isolating as a result of a new, continuous cough or high temperature, they should also self-isolate for 14 days from when that persons symptoms began.

TheAnonymousWorker

On reading gov.uk (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-guidance-for-employees) it states;

“My employer wants me to come to work even though I feel ill, what should I do?
Employees should take time off work if they are ill. Government is clear that employers should support their staff’s welfare, especially during an extended response.”

and

“Will my employer be obliged to pay me while I stay at home?
Statutory Sick Pay will be paid from day 1 instead of day 4 for those affected by coronavirus.”

However on reading the (amended for Coronavirus) People Policy (https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/coronavirus-latest-update/) it states the company wants employees to use holidays, unpaid leave, shift swaps, lifestyle breaks and other forms of leave.

The same document goes on to say in amendments:

“What do we want to change?
Where a colleague has been confirmed as having Coronavirus (COVID-19) or has been advised to attend isolation or self-isolate, they will be paid from the first day of absence. The same will apply for colleagues who have a new, continuous cough or temperature over 37.8oC who are self-isolating for 14 days (7 days where they live on their own). Waiting days will continue to apply for all non-pandemic related absence.

Where a colleague lives with someone who has been confirmed as having Coronavirus (COVID-19) or they live with someone who is self-isolating as a result of a new, continuous cough or high temperature, they should also self-isolate for 14 days from when that persons symptoms began.”

Levi4995

It’s very sly what they are doing the holiday , unpaid, career break is aimed at people who have dependants. But in our store the manger aimed that at everyone which is false. As per usual lies, twisted truth and hoping people won’t double check. These options are more aimed at people for long term issues not people self isolating for 14 days.

lordadmiral

Its crafty policy. I just had txt that we have people self isolating and some coughing but still at work. So what to do now? Should I go back to work tomorrow? Guy who is coughing is the one who I pick up and go to and from work in my car. My partner is the vulnerable one so I can't go sick. Tesco you do not help ........

Mark calloway

A manager has said if we haven't got the virus then we won't be paid.

Levi4995

You will be paid our manager said the same last night but he has done total 180 tonight  :D :D must have actually read the policy.

Adywebb

The best way to get the right information is to go on Our Tesco and read the policies for yourselves which are being updated constantly as things evolve:

https://colleague-help.ourtesco.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360052193132/Ammended_People_Policies_-_National_Disaster.Pandemic.v1.5.17March2020.pdf

The short answer is you will be given paid absence for self isolating.

Redshoes

Continuous updates, this is not normal circumstances and the briefs are changing. Being fed bad information due to not being aware of update is possible. You need to know what is right and if being paid or not, I just think the rapid changes to policy on this add mud to the water. The stores are busy, lots of people off, panic buying ongoing and huge deliveries coming in. If exceptions coded correctly the wages clerk should pick up on all of this. If things have changed during the time of phoning in and exceptions being done I don't know if will be caught and payments changed.
If exceptions coded correctly a manager can't stop people being paid properly. Detail given at time of sick call or sick update will effect this too. Duty managers should fill in the sick book and wages clerks can refer to this if exceptions not been completed, managers have days off and late shifts. Duty managers are just not always good at filling in or updating sick book. This is the biggest problem. Being told out of date information should not mean unpaid. Failure to fill out sick book could cause confusion.

Levi4995

The policy says if you are confirmed as having the virus OR advised to self isolate you get paid in full. That’s on our Tesco and union have confirmed this is the case. I can’t decide if the managers are just stupid and not reading their own policies or lying. But that is the policy currently it’s definitely worth checking it regularly but the pay issue was in places days ago only change is now it’s 14 days instead of 7.

Mark calloway

How would you be able to prove you've been advised to self isolate?

Adywebb

You don’t have to

Fixxer

Worth noting that you will only get paid if you normally get SSP when off sick.
If you work only a couple of shifts contracted and the rest overtime to make up your hours you won't get paid anything. You'll just get the usual letter saying that as SSP is over your normal contracted earnings you aren't eligible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk