News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-03-24, 09:40AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 37,969
  • Total Topics: 622
  • Online today: 117
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 81
Total: 84

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Can we use this topic to track the number of :

• Staff made redundant
  • Staff offered and taken redundancy
  • Staff that have left and position not filled

Permanent staff in full or part time positions in any section of the company.

Please keep this topic for facts or the numbers that are to the best of your knowledge correct.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Reponboard123

Since the new Livi depot has opened 29 drivers have left and have not been replaced.

happygolucky

I can remember before AB  (union rep) left magor he told me that the chocolate brownie, was bragging he made 6000 people redundant and he was very proud of it.

Dorset

It looks like the workforce is being run down on purpose, i think bad trading results are on the cards and cuts are already being made. I have a feeling of deja vu having seen this all before at a number of other companies i have worked. The management have now completely lost the workforce and i see nothing ahead but derision, dereliction and destruction.
Whoever lays their hand on me to govern me is a usurper and a tyrant, i declare them my enemy.

lemonbake

over the last 6-9 months my department [fresh nights], had a total of 12 full timers and 5 part timers. Now we have 8 fulltime and still 5 part timers but 2 of them are temps, and the way my stores figures are going they wont be with us much longer.

and every night the work is just stacking up all over the place.

>:D

xExpress

As some will know already Express area managers, APM's, LPSS, SCS, GOS, SD's, have lost their jobs, yes a small few have stayed to take on a much bigger role, for the same money. But over 1400 have gone.

Work level 3 help desk - gone.

There are also talks about removing SM's from cat A stores and getting them to run 2 stores in a similar area. This is not confirmed, just talk at the min, but so was the AM's, APM's going.

With self serv being rolled out in all stand alone sites, for every 2 self serv tills installed stores will loose the budget for 3 full time members of staff (based on a 40% usage figure)

The Mrs

Statutory redundancy pay increased to £380 per week in today's budget.

xExpress

Tesco must have knew this was coming, that's why everyone got the push a few weeks back, ooohhh dear I can see some unhappy people out there.

Teamfive

I'm not in the know on this matter, but did Tesco do this in the guise of "Right hours right place" at the beginning of the year?

I know that the older members of staff, including myself, were targeted for the chop under that premise.  A bit of fancy footwork kept me in.

xExpress

Tesco I cutting staff left right and centre, a few superstores up this end have been told they are not permitted to contract perm staff only temps on 8-12 week contracts. The area organiser has even been in to agree some lengthening of peoples temp contracts.

Every penny counts !!

nightmanager

it is a known fact that tesco is cutting costs heavily this year I use to have 15 staff in fresh( night shift) now I have 10 and triple the amount of work people are just burning out slowly. And every manager struggles to keep staff motivated to come in to work every night and deal with the same problems over and over again.

Chubbychaser

Right hours right place does operate in many stores including mine but it doesn't work regardless.  Different people work at different speeds we're just robots to MM  >:D

tescotimmy

every one of the poles we got has gone and not been replaced, every department we are told has too many hours i have been told grocery is 200 hours over budget , days have 2  full timers, nights don't have one person for each aisle we have 5 night managers and several team leaders but not enough staff, managers jobs are created willy nilly, three years ago the night shift was run by 2 managers and 3 team leaders and  16 more staff and we struggled then. it would not be as bad if the managers pulled their weight but the majority don't even stay on the shopfloor all night and god help you if there  is any type of incident as they dissappear completely. we are now being barked at and told that this job should take 2 hours and that one is 1 hour. how wouldthey know when non of them has ever done any of the jobs themselves. they are just wastes of skin in my store. if the jobs market was better tesco would have no staff as they would all work for asda!!!!

tiffany

job losses start from senior team  2 or 3 have to fight for 1 position  which is not fair  those that don't get it have gone down to team leaders so it's scary for everyone else, please don't take your jobs for granted  there's always someone after it,  keep your nose clean, don't moan, get on with it xx >:D

Shifty

Our Night Shift  (won't say which dept, or where, to protect myself) has gone from 6 staff on Saturday nights, down to just 2. We're in the middle of the warehouse-to-shopfloor reshuffle and the two of us are currently expected to work 25+ cages of delivery, 25+ cages of backstock plus stock on capping shelves for 9 aisles, plus face up to highest standard (What Good Looks Like). The workload is impossible, but no one in Management is prepared to accept this. The pressure they're putting on us to achieve is intolerable. Something has got to give.

DairyLee

I work on provision cabs and over lat 4 months we have had our tl move to express, one full timer fired, another moved dept, 3 part time student transfer out to other stores and another part timer is having a career break over christmas.  Its about 130 hours we lost just on days, brought up the situation with our new manager whos never done a fresh chistmas and he says all will be ok because we're getting 2 student returners

Mr B701

our grocery team has lost 500 hours (i work nights by the way) and all the xmas temps were fired last week now grocery again have to lose 300 hours non food and h+b 400 hours and we are still expected to cope our night manager spends most of his time with his head down walking round and not talking to any one and the section managers/line managers are like are either like jekle and hyde or might as well be sat upstairs having a coffee it seems the only2 team leaders who know what they are doing are stuck down isles all night and the other 4 well what can you say
put it this way its only gonna get worse

Scottish Carter

Quote from: DairyLee on 30-10-09, 03:32PM
I work on provision cabs and over lat 4 months we have had our tl move to express, one full timer fired, another moved dept, 3 part time student transfer out to other stores and another part timer is having a career break over christmas.  Its about 130 hours we lost just on days, brought up the situation with our new manager whos never done a fresh chistmas and he says all will be ok because we're getting 2 student returners

People cannot get fired and anothere started to do the same job for no reason.  ;)

The Mrs

Presumably there was a reason for the dismissal - "fired". Not the same as made redundant, therefore different rules apply to refilling the post.

masked avenger

Quote from: Shifty on 30-10-09, 12:33PM
Our Night Shift  (won't say which dept, or where, to protect myself) has gone from 6 staff on Saturday nights, down to just 2. We're in the middle of the warehouse-to-shopfloor reshuffle and the two of us are currently expected to work 25+ cages of delivery, 25+ cages of backstock plus stock on capping shelves for 9 aisles, plus face up to highest standard (What Good Looks Like). The workload is impossible, but no one in Management is prepared to accept this. The pressure they're putting on us to achieve is intolerable. Something has got to give.
the question is if you are not achieving to get all that done (and i agree it is impossible) if they pull you for your performance i would say 2 things 1,you show me how to do it and i will follow your lead, 2, i am doing my best this Bering your get out of jail card if they want to discipline you my union area organiser has instilled that phrase in me as no one can do any more than their best and its up to them to prove you are doing any less :P

POA Billy

It is interesting that the consultation period etc. for the wages and Ops redundancies has meant that at the DC's nobody can be signed off on options.

malc77

tesco are the only company that wants max profit from british people but wants to employ foreign agency labour and send other jobs to india. all what briish workers can do better. but tesco dont care about the british worker or there lives.

POA Billy

I don't think that that is totally accurate, Tesco do not really care which nationality they employ, they do however care about the output and return from employees, with indigenous workers not willing to apply for "menial" positions within the company they must spread it's nets farther afield.

We cannot defend the "life owes me a living" attitude of certain sectors of the "British" workforce, so as long as employees are on a level playing field of pay and conditions, then Tesco have every right to seek employees within the legal range of the EU.

OK so some overseas employees can claim child benefit for children not in the UK and send it home, where it is of much greater value than in the UK and by paying National Insurance in the UK can claim a full Uk pension at more than 4 times the pension in their home country in some cases, but if they are paying in then they are entitled to be paid out. The biggest problem is that the company make no effort to encourage  the integration of  migrant workers into the indigenous workforce creating an us and them problem. I'm sure that just as there are good and bad Brits that there are good and bad [fill in the blank] but we will never know as self segregation seems to enforce itself in communal areas. This causes resentment on both sides, thus widening the gap between workers.

Not being English myself but on missionary work from another land, I am accepted by my peers by being fluent and inclusive in my language and thought by most to come from this fair land, I have no clique of my countrymen to hang out with and so am forced to adapt to the people I work with who I must say accept me as one of their own, and fully involve me. There seems to be a greater resentment of agency workers from any country including UK, than of nationality. If you want to work for Tesco then work for Tesco not an agency.

OK rant over sorry :'(

Raster2

Quote from: tiffany on 17-10-09, 05:01PM
job losses start from senior team  2 or 3 have to fight for 1 position  which is not fair  those that don't get it have gone down to team leaders so it's scary for everyone else, please don't take your jobs for granted  there's always someone after it,  keep your nose clean, don't moan, get on with it xx >:D

Sorry bro got to disagree with ya if senior team not up to the job then they should GO.
Please moan, if you don't management think all is GOOD (WRONG)
Don't get on with it, work to your contract or your job description that's what they pay ya to do we are not allowed to use our common sense.

Raster

Haggis

I currently have the misfortune to be totally messed about by Tesco, I started 4th June on 3 month Temp contract, on 10th July myself and others were given our notice due to shrinkage and going over budget on wages (nonsense for the company claiming 3.14 bn profit), my wages had not been paid to my bank as requeted instead they were paid to a Tuxedo card set up on my behalf by Tesco, to top it all my wages are short by hundreds of pounds which I am now going to have to fight for.

I worked night shift shelf filling, can I ask someone to explain some of the wages rates as I have found with Tesco you get a different answer with everyone. I am just trying to work out what I have been paid for.

I know Basic Rate, Night P1 (10pm-Midnight) and Night P2 (Midnight-6am).

What is Night 1, also what are the rates for OTIME NT & NSUN OT?

Thanks in advance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk