News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-03-24, 02:50AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 37,969
  • Total Topics: 622
  • Online today: 80
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Trays

Started by elasticspy, 24-09-22, 07:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elasticspy

Hi,

Without going into detail, I contracted an injury whilst dropping to a customer, which led me to needing support, I was asked what happened and, so I told the manager what happened and I was told that if I go sick with it I will be getting a warning.

My question is: what is the policy on carrying crates because when I first started I was told we carry two at a time by my buddy, so thats what I have done all this time. Apparently thats wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Poolboy77

I believe it should be one tray. Anyone more than you should use the sack barrow ? What does your training say ? If your unsure ask your manager to go through your training again with you.

Sherwoodforest

For a manager to say that before any attendance review would put any warning on shakey grounds as it would seem predetermined
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

elasticspy

Quote from: Poolboy77 on 24-09-22, 07:25PMI believe it should be one tray. Anyone more than you should use the sack barrow ? What does your training say ? If your unsure ask your manager to go through your training again with you.

It may well be only 1, I honestly cant remember to be honest.

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 24-09-22, 07:27PMFor a manager to say that before any attendance review would put any warning on shakey grounds as it would seem predetermined

never been sick, never caused issue with work, always done overtime when asked, I asked for help for one day so I could give the injruy a chance to recover. Just irritating that as someone who tries to keep their nose clean to be instantly threatened with a warning...

Sewingbee

I'm not surprised at all. It doesn't matter how good your record is and how long you've worked for them, you're just a 'number' to them.

Last year after 27 years of continued loyal service and going several years at a time without taking any sick leave (the previous was after having major abdominal surgery), I hobbled in for a 'wellness meeting', whilst on crutches with a 2 bad fractures in my foot. I was told by 2 mangers that I have so many of these meetings and if they thought I wasn't coming back, they'll sack me. They even accused my orthopaedic consultant surgeon was flippantly signing me off. The following week, I applied for another job in a different industry and now happily work in another industry in a much better working environment.  :thumbup:
Don't believe it's not greener on the other side. 😉

Sewingbee

To add above: if your training says to carry only one tray and you've been signed off for that, then it's advisable to adhere to that. Otherwise, you'll not be covered by health and safety, should anything happens. I would either confirm what is the correct amount to carry with your manager, and/or ask for refresher training and not rely on colleagues to give the correct answer. It's advisable to always protect yourself.

I hope your injury improves soon.
Don't believe it's not greener on the other side. 😉

elasticspy

Quote from: Sewingbee on 24-09-22, 08:33PMI'm not surprised at all. It doesn't matter how good your record is and how long you've worked for them, you're just a 'number' to them.

Last year after 27 years of continued loyal service and going several years at a time without taking any sick leave (the previous was after having major abdominal surgery), I hobbled in for a 'wellness meeting', whilst on crutches with a 2 bad fractures in my foot. I was told by 2 mangers that I have so many of these meetings and if they thought I wasn't coming back, they'll sack me. They even accused my orthopaedic consultant surgeon was flippantly signing me off. The following week, I applied for another job in a different industry and now happily work in another industry in a much better working environment.  :thumbup:

think most tesco employees are looking at getting out to be honest...

Quote from: Sewingbee on 25-09-22, 10:48AMTo add above: if your training says to carry only one tray and you've been signed off for that, then it's advisable to adhere to that. Otherwise, you'll not be covered by health and safety, should anything happens. I would either confirm what is the correct amount to carry with your manager, and/or ask for refresher training and not rely on colleagues to give the correct answer. It's advisable to always protect yourself.

I hope your injury improves soon.

spoke to more experienced drivers, and indeed my lead... EVERYONE said to me that "its what you deem safe to carry after a dynamic risk assessment" ........... so there is NO rule that states only one tray....... the person who threatened me with a warning is saying "you are not allowed to call in sick" it seems.... worst part, I did the injury on duty at a customers door, it has not been put in the accident book either.....

oldfashionedplayer

There's no accident book anymore, it's all online, so colleagues / management both record it I think?

As for the tray rule, go by the 2 tray regardless, forget the whole c**p of "weight" or whatever, there should be some form of safety training anyhow that says the 1 tray, but common sense is a major factor... At the end of the day, if you think it's heavy, split it down..

If in doubt, trust that doubt... End of the day we are numbers and can be replaced.. Anyone who says different doesn't care about their own safety nor anyone else's to be honest.

davidatperces

I am sure the training says no more than two trays.

elasticspy

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 25-09-22, 09:14PMThere's no accident book anymore, it's all online, so colleagues / management both record it I think?

As for the tray rule, go by the 2 tray regardless, forget the whole c**p of "weight" or whatever, there should be some form of safety training anyhow that says the 1 tray, but common sense is a major factor... At the end of the day, if you think it's heavy, split it down..

If in doubt, trust that doubt... End of the day we are numbers and can be replaced.. Anyone who says different doesn't care about their own safety nor anyone else's to be honest.

The issue wasn't weight or indeed amount of trays carried.. my wrist just went "twang", just like any other dumb injury people get, my issue is the threat of a warning for going sick with the injury, which has since mostly healed so meh, my next issue is I have contracted covid.. yay....

Quote from: davidatperces on 27-09-22, 06:52PMI am sure the training says no more than two trays.

Yeahh that's what my lead said, so forget what the other manager said I think is the best course of action

madness

2 trays max to carry. Often makes sense for a chill and a light freezer on top.
Ambient are usually heavy so just one at a time there.

Sack barrow max 5 with 3 then the guide blade in place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk