News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-03-24, 05:31AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 37,969
  • Total Topics: 622
  • Online today: 82
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 59
Total: 62

Premium

Started by Bobmay, 01-09-22, 05:22AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmay

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 26-09-22, 08:01PMLidl also doesnt have many full timers,

That what tesco wants to move on flexible contract whee everyweek you do different hours.

stockcontroller

Not sure it's been mentioned on any other thread on here (and not sure if this the right thread for it) but Tesco DC in Livingston officially issued redundancy notices for hundreds of drivers and pickers on old contracts after workers rejected any pay out. Most drivers are now seeing pay outs of £80k+ as many have worked for Tesco for over 20 years. This is after Tesco was taken to court and told they could fire and re-hire these people. The company are offering these people new jobs but at much reduced rates of pay. If only USDAW had the same amount of power with shop floor staff as the unions in the warehouses do.

5fdp

A lot of the drivers were on about 60k. There new contract takes them down to about 40k. The pickers are somewhat less than that. Many are staying and taking the buy out.

Bobmay

Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).  .Admin.

Tesco will either offer payout or redundancy when it comes I will take redundancy

StinkyPoo

I wouldn't work nights if it wasn't for the extra money 💰

grim up north

Quote from: stockcontroller on 27-09-22, 03:35AMNot sure it's been mentioned on any other thread on here (and not sure if this the right thread for it) but Tesco DC in Livingston officially issued redundancy notices for hundreds of drivers and pickers on old contracts after workers rejected any pay out. Most drivers are now seeing pay outs of £80k+ as many have worked for Tesco for over 20 years. This is after Tesco was taken to court and told they could fire and re-hire these people. The company are offering these people new jobs but at much reduced rates of pay. If only USDAW had the same amount of power with shop floor staff as the unions in the warehouses do.

@stockcontroller - when were the redundancy notices issued?

stockcontroller

As far as I'm aware it was around 2 weeks ago around 14th/15th is when the consultation started. I only know through a woman I work with who is married to a driver at the DC in Livingston. Fair to say she says they can retire, or at least cut back massively on working hours, on the money Tesco are paying out.  (and that should say couldn't fire and re-hire in my original post)

madness

So the drivers are getting 80k payout and can literally jump into any other driving job anyway. Nice.

Grafter

I wonder if Tesco will allow the people who signed the new contract to take redundancy as they said if people choose to stay on original contract they wouldn't come back with another offer

ihavequestions23

Quote from: NightAndDay on 26-09-22, 11:07AMThere's currently a labour shortage of epic proportions which is in part contributing to the record levels of inflation we're currently seeing. Only illegals would work overnight for less than minimum wage, we're currently very much in an employees market where they can pick and choose who to work for. Stores have had to cease their night operation because of lack of candidates applying for the role and that was with a premium of £2.21 extra an hour which is better than some of the competitors, it wouldn't be a good strategic decision to scrap night premiums because of this and therefore is very much the case that night premium is still paid (I asked my flatmate the Store Manager and he confirms it is only sunday premium that new starters don't get).

Yeah exactly our store are looking to hire a bucket load of people and I've had managers asking me to ask other people if they want jobs and posters up advertising jobs because there's not enough people applying, in fact there's people leaving faster than people applying. They'd be mad to get rid of the one incentive to working nights.

Bobmay

They will probably change the hours people work so instead of doing 10 to 7 they will do 2 to 10 or 3 to 11

oldfashionedplayer

correct bobmay, our store has the christmas temps not as 10-7 or 9-6 or 11-8, but from 2 onwards.. lol.

Bobmay

Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).  .Admin.

People were saying I was crazy for saying they will cut down on nights and instead do twilight so Tesco can save money.  They will see when it happens in the coming year when the next pay raise happens large cuts to managers and nights is coming.  Which is why Tesco is bringing in the new contract so everyone works every where from filling shelves to checkouts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk