News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:22PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,120
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 299
Total: 304

Pay Review 2022

Started by yeetus, 29-03-22, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeahgreatidea

Check your receipts - one thing I am sure will be released but seems to have accidentally come into place already is an increase to the discount limit. I've noticed my limit now says £1500 remaining, less what I've used this week.

NightAndDay

Quote from: barafear on 05-04-22, 12:49PM
I know there's been some conjecture on what or when anything will be announced?
I also know that there's been lots of discussions on various threads on here on just how "bad" our review will be - well we all know that anyway - but I just thought it might be interesting to do a small "survey" on what "benefits" we might get as part of the review:

1) Staff discount - regardless of how we view this (e.g. many people will still state that Lidl/Aldi are still cheaper even with 15% discount!)- but at the moment, we get 10% for 313 days a year and 15% for 52 days a year (four days around each of the 13 pay dates). Is it possible that we might get 15% for longer - might be wishful thinking to suggest it would be 15% ALL the time - but maybe extending the 4 days to 7 days - so one full week of 15% every four weeks? Might even be a commitment to have a week of 20% at Easter and Christmas?
2) Maybe extending/increasing the discount on "other areas" - such as increasing F&F to 25%? Tesco Cafe to 30%? Would be nice to get 5% off petrol/diesel - but that won't happen.
3) I think it's a given that the £10000 discount spend limit will be increased - given the "whinging" that people had around Christmas 20% discount counting towards the limit - before there was a u-turn - and then Tesco "generously" allowed everyone to have discount in March - even if you had spent your limit. Anyway - given the recent increase in Grocery costs, it seems only fair to increase the limit. I guess the new limit might be £12500
4) I've not been in the pension scheme since they changed it back in 2014 (was it?) - but I know colleagues feel that the new scheme is "relatively" generous given that Tesco match any contribution up to 7.5%. I'm not sure this would be increased.

The only other areas I can think of are:

Location Pay: these haven't been increased in at least six years (probably more) - so 45p for an "outer London store" was once worth around 7% on top of the hourly rate - now it would be 4.5% if the new hourly rate is £10.
Skills Payments: I don't get these - but the same as above - the additional £2 an hour that team support get over GAs has stayed static for a few years - I doubt if these will be increased - but it would be "fair"?
Night premiums : Last year was the first increase for a number of years - an extra 9p an hour I believe!! Will Tesco continue to be so generous?
And obviously, the elephant in the room:

Sunday/BH premiums: I've said before, we're now all at the position of feeling extremely grateful if Tesco keep it and don't cut it - this is partly the fault of the majority of our competitors having ditched theirs.

However, what I am most frustrated about is the "generous deal" that DCs got when they were able to threaten strike action at Christmas - didn't that include paid breaks as well as 6%+ payrise, and backdated?

All in all, I think there is much that Tesco could do to give us a "generous pay review" (other than the obvious one which would be to increase base pay to £12.50 (which won't happen!)) - but based on the last few pay reviews and also the false publicity that Tesco spout about them leads me to think that it will be another lost opportunity when we get the announcement.

Tesco will never give any meaningful pay rise, jump ship now to avoid disappointment.

Bakersdozen

Does everyone forget how Usdaw just negotiated away our bonus for a competitive hourly rate, currently 5p from minimum wage.  As long as the top brass and the useless managers still get their bonus the grunts should shut up and accept a pittance.

penguin

Lets be honest Usdaw at national level could not negotiate anything with Tesco, what usually happens is Tesco tell them this is the offer, or things we are changing, Usdaw go through the motions for a few weeks before coming back and saying thanks Tesco we will accept.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

HalloweenJack

Has our staff discount increased on the quiet to £1500 already? Went to an express and used self service - and it said `£1493 discount remaining` ?

barafear

It would seem so - this appears to be one of the parts of the pay review - but forgive me - I had this argument back when people were whinging about the Christmas 20% and not being able to partake because they had used all their discount - think this was on OurTesco rather than here - I was commenting (as was someone else) and questioning how people had already spent all their discount in less than 9 months?

I understand that some people have bigger families - and differing shopping patterns - but does the average weekly shop (based on the prices from Apr-Dec 2021 (i.e. before the majority of the inflationary pressure has been heaped on) really come to £200+?

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: HalloweenJack on 05-04-22, 05:03PM
Has our staff discount increased on the quiet to £1500 already? Went to an express and used self service - and it said `£1493 discount remaining` ?

yes, according to yammer, it seems they've sneakily put in some stuff of increase of £1000 to £1500, and reduced the clothing discount to 15%, though I haven't tested the clothing discount personally, so i'm not 100% on that...

I believe if anything is to go by from the interview with bbc, tesco quoted 6% for shopfloor staff increase, which would be around £10.15ph, so if they do that, the increase to £1500 and reduced clothing discount to 15% has me stumped on what exactly they will be cutting... hopefully not the premiums !

rayinski

just checked on my tesco pay app and can happily confirm discount is £1500pa, trouble is last year I only spent about £400 :)

Hammer10

It's ok putting our limit up to 1500 but prices are going up really quickly so won't take long to use that up.

HalloweenJack

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 05-04-22, 06:09PM

I believe if anything is to go by from the interview with bbc, tesco quoted 6% for shopfloor staff increase, which would be around £10.15ph, so if they do that, the increase to £1500 and reduced clothing discount to 15% has me stumped on what exactly they will be cutting... hopefully not the premiums !

Dont suppose you have a link to that BBC interview?

Checkout Superstar

Quote from: HalloweenJack on 05-04-22, 05:03PM

yes, according to yammer, it seems they've sneakily put in some stuff of increase of £1000 to £1500, and reduced the clothing discount to 15%, though I haven't tested the clothing discount personally, so i'm not 100% on that...

My understanding from a union rep is that you can't be left worse off than you were previously. So if they scrap the premiums they can't justify it by the £1500 increase as the £1500 benefits (gonna use that term loosely) everyone not just those on the premiums who will still be worse off.

So I wonder if contracted Sunday staff will be offered a one off bonus or something in an attempt to soften the blow if the Sunday premium will be axed?

Checkout Superstar

Quote from: Hammer10 on 05-04-22, 07:14PM
It's ok putting our limit up to 1500 but prices are going up really quickly so won't take long to use that up.

Plus the problem with scrapping the Sunday premium is that those contracted to a Sunday will then in effect have a pay cut enforced on them regardless of how much the actual hourly increase is. Well unless its £11.95 which something tells me Tesco won't do.

So how can Tesco square that circle in the current climate?

barafear

Quote from: HalloweenJack on 05-04-22, 08:19PM

Dont suppose you have a link to that BBC interview?

Im guessing it's this back in early Feb

Meanwhile, Mr Allan also rejected suggestions from the Bank of England's governor that people should not ask for big pay rises because it was feeding into higher inflation.

Andrew Bailey's comments to the BBC were branded a "sick joke" by the GMB union, while the TUC said the call was "ill-founded".

Tesco is the UK's largest private sector employer, with about 300,000 staff. Asked if the company would be telling employees to follow Mr Bailey's advice, Mr Allan said "no, absolutely not. I think that's the wrong direction for people to go in," he said.

"We are not telling people not to take a pay rise. We think our colleagues deserve pay rises," Mr Allan said. "We have given 5-6% raises to our distribution colleagues, and we're in the midst of negotiations, which will probably lead to a similar result for our store colleagues."

Hibobhi

It all depends if we lose the Sunday premium, if their negotiating a 5-6% pay rise and we lose Sunday p, I'll make less money AGAIN

NorthernJ

If they remove Sunday premium then our store wont have any staff on a Sunday, so many people are already speaking about opting out anyway and this'll just push them over the edge.
Maybe that's what we need to happen though if they do remove it, a mass opt out of Sunday working and what are they gonna do?
They won't find enough staff to open the store on a 1 day a week contract and if everyone did it across the country they'd quickly have to revert it.

BarryZola

That just won't happen though.

People will have a moan and they may do a small buyout or protect pay for a couple of years.

Then people will almost forget that there was extra pay for a Sunday (or newbies won't know there ever was) and people will carry on working it as if it was a normal day. There will always be people willing to work it as they're desperate for any extra hours.

When the extra pay/benefits for working bank holidays and overtime etc were cut people had a moan then and said they wouldn't do those shifts but a year or two on plenty of people work them.

You'll never get anything out of Tesco but the bare minimum now I'm afraid, but people still don't get it. If you want good pay and conditions you'll have to find a better company.

oldfashionedplayer

as barafear said, yes thats the one i was referring to - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60279019

"We are not telling people not to take a pay rise. We think our colleagues deserve pay rises," Mr Allan said. "We have given 5-6% raises to our distribution colleagues, and we're in the midst of negotiations, which will probably lead to a similar result for our store colleagues."

if they do scrap premiums, then again we are out of pocket as said before too, the annoying thing is that they say "oh you come out with more" - SERIOUSLY? it was only this last pay rise that put me closer to my starting rate...  ??? :-X

Hammer10

Just going to even less work if they don't give a decent pay rise and if they scrap sun premium then it won't be long before I drop it.

Redshoes

Quote from: NorthernJ14 on 06-04-22, 01:11AM
If they remove Sunday premium then our store wont have any staff on a Sunday, so many people are already speaking about opting out anyway and this'll just push them over the edge.
Maybe that's what we need to happen though if they do remove it, a mass opt out of Sunday working and what are they gonna do?
They won't find enough staff to open the store on a 1 day a week contract and if everyone did it across the country they'd quickly have to revert it.

Anyone who opts out of Sunday does not get the hours replaced with another shift in the wk. It can be looked at but the way things are just now it won't happen. Somebody will have to do the Sundays and giving those who want to opt out another shift increases the contracted hours within the store.

hornimans135

Have done my shopping in Tesco this morning. checked my receipt no information at all about increased staff discount.

barafear

Only shows if u go through the new style self serve tills.

Kenziewenzzie

Could someone enlighten me on why the Tesco discount is included in the pay deals we get in store?
Are they included in all the tesco partnerships ( one stop, makro and others)
Pay deal.

Please be nice first time I have posted something on here😀

lordadmiral

It is some kind of tactics to convince You that You are making more money.
Remeber lot of people are dump as f*** and think it is accually a good deal.

Human nature is complicated. people like to think they are better off even if they are not.
Look at tesco £3 meal deal. You have a single sandwitch for £2.50, snack for 50p and some drink for another 50p. You apply tesco club card and is amazing £3.
Now same sandwitch is worth something like £1.50 in anther store, and snack and drink is same price. And the deal id only £2.50.
But beacuse people see that they can save money in Tesco on a meal deal, they branded it te best deal ever invented in whole history of UK. Doesnt matter that it cost more that competition one.

chris9997

Although Sunday premium has been cut twice before from x2 to x 1.5 then x1.25 always to get an improved pay offer according to the union, however these slashing of premiums on some to give more to others  ( in terms of % )is criminal.

Cbatt566

This time it needs to be genuine cost of living pay rise not just robbing Peter to pay Paul like you mentioned over premiums...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk