Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-04-24, 06:18AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,354
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 256
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 176
Total: 179

Complaints about managers

Started by Cls74, 07-04-22, 06:10PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark calloway

I know of managers breaking confidentiality but it's proving it. Also I know of one who looked through private notes between a colleague and occupational health.  There's zero confidentiality in our store.

Redshoes

I have also known of colleagues openly talk of why someone is off but they are totally wrong. What they don't know they seem to feel that they need to make up by reading between the lines.
We keep occupational health reports in a sealed envelope within personal file. Store manager signs over seal of envelope so it's kept private. Dept manager gets to read report any other managers are then briefed on what they need to know.

Redshoes

I meet up with friends I have made from the different stores I have worked in but not many. Most of my friends are people from outside of work. I have yet to meet up with someone from the store I work in, again I prefer to keep work separate. It's a work and life balance thing
Also, we had a manager leave for pastures new about six months ago. Since she left things have changed. She always denied it but things leaked out. We had an incident not long after she left and a colleague handed in notice during an investigation. Everybody was talking about why he was sacked, they still ask. I have been asked but I just say "I don't know why you are even asking". All remaining managers know why this colleague was under investigation as we are a small team, but we all say it has only remained private as this one manager had left.

lucgeo

We used to have a dept of early starters, it was commonplace for them, when someone didn't turn up, to check the sick book to see if they had called in sick or running late!!

The sick book was always kept in the open area where handover took place...date, time of call and reason for absence   :o :o

It's all well and good keeping things private amongst managers after handover, but they need to realise that people will read a book, left on a windowsill in full view with "sick calls " clearly written on the front!!
Also manager meetings held at the bottom of stairwells, is not the most ideal place, as voices do carry to those stood at the top listening  :-X :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mark calloway

We have some who go in and basically change the rota. Zero confidentiality too. It's disturbing

Cinderella

Quote from: Redshoes on 04-05-22, 06:34AM
I have also known of colleagues openly talk of why someone is off but they are totally wrong. What they don't know they seem to feel that they need to make up by reading between the lines.
We keep occupational health reports in a sealed envelope within personal file. Store manager signs over seal of envelope so it's kept private. Dept manager gets to read report any other managers are then briefed on what they need to know.

Are these now kept online somewhere? I needed to discuss my report with my manager, and I was horrified when he pulled it up on his phone! I'm worried about how secure my personal data is?

Redshoes

OH reports come down by email. It is sent to colleague first but then to manager who filled out OH request. Generally speaking this is now just the store manager, it has to be a manager with a works email address and not just the user email format we have for signing in to all things work related.
If a manager has a working email address they can get this on a phone, as you can with any email.
It is however a very private report. Colleague sees report first and has to give permission for it to then go to person who raised it. After this it needs to go to relevant people and that is down to you. It can be just your manager or it can be whole management team. I don't see much point in a OH report being done if it is not allowed to be seen by anyone.
If you don't want your manager to see it they will be told "colleague needs to move hours" or "colleague needs light duties" but nothing else.
In my store the store manager gives me the report and we talk about it. I then talk to colleague about it and we put plans in place. Report is then put in a sealed envelope and held in personal file. I did have one colleague that wanted whole of management team to read report and then read up on her condition and the medications she is on. I said that we are not doctors and we just need to know recommendations but I will list the names on the envelope on who is allowed to open and read report for if it is ever needed. As recommendations were followed this has never been an issue.

gomezz

What is to stop anyone adding their name to the list on the outside of the sealed envelope.  Good intention, but flawed practise.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

oldfashionedplayer

Probably signing it and dating it just under? It would make sense anyhow to do it that way.. Like let's talks / meeting notes, always best to sign and scribble a bit to be honest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk