News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 11:57AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Let's talk

Started by Mark calloway, 26-12-21, 12:37PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark calloway

Hi guys. Can I request a copy of a let's talk? I'm putting in a grievance and need one for evidence. 

penguin

Yes you can request a copy of a lets talk if you require one. If one is not forthecoming put in a subject accses request under GDPR and at that point they have to legally provide a copy of it and any other information you so request.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

gomezz

That is assuming they are party to the Lets Talk.  The GDPR rules only apply then not in the case it is the Lets Talk for a third party ie another colleague.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

NightAndDay

Quote from: Mark calloway on 26-12-21, 12:37PM
Hi guys. Can I request a copy of a let's talk? I'm putting in a grievance and need one for evidence.

Lets talks are supposed to be kept in your personnel file (along with email conversations with HR), you can refer to it in a meeting and they should have a record of it.

Mark calloway

Batmanjo

Quote from: Mark calloway on 27-12-21, 02:04AM
Thanks guys.

If the lets talk was for yourself personally with whomsoever you can request to see your file. They will set a time and place for you to look at your file and you can access a copy that way or if you don't want to let them know what you can just request the complete file to be copied there can be a charge of up to £10 but very rarely do they charge. I know a guy who worked nights and just went into the confidential room and removed his complete file as he was up for a final disciplinary I believe the case was dropped as all the evidence had disappeared I don't agree with what he did but boy was it amusing.
The lets talk are just a way in my opinion of bullying staff as there are no witness's, I will not do a lets talk without a rep present even though the manager will just carry on as they relish in the sound of their own voice (20 minutes was the record for my manager} with that said I just don't talk without a rep and it was for 3 minutes for clocking on/off on time I was being reprimanded for clocking to early and clocking to late. Ironic  ;D >:(

Nowanexmgr

Some "hero to the workers" did something very similar in my store a few years ago - miraculously all evidence against his wrongdoing simply disappeared.
It was horrible, his disciplinary was thrown out and he spent the next three days gurning and grinning every time he walked past me in the shop, and held court in the canteen about how he had "sorted that **** out" (me).
Sadly, on the fourth day he was selected for a staff search and found to be in possession of a number of razor blades and memory cards that he didn't have receipts for and after an investigation he was dismissed for theft. He protested his innocence loudly and repeatedly, even after he had been sacked. Six months the later he was still proclaiming innocence and hadn't yet found a new job - difficult when you've been sacked for dishonesty I suppose.

I simply cannot imagine what happened.

A good manager will always get you out in the end.

Nomad

"A good manager will always get you out in the end." I would call that a very bad manager, and in the above case possibly a dishonest one.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

The standards of reasonable doubt are unfortunately different in workplace investigations than what is used in a court of law, saying that though as long as you follow policy, if you are being framed by a manager for gross misconduct (stealing, racism etc etc) then there is in most cases a trail which can prove that to be the case.

Unfortunately if you do prove that foul play was afoot by a MM, there's been a case where an email conversation between the AM, PM and several Express SMs was released around how to stitch up and frame an Express SM for workplace bullying and sexual harassment, the affected SM captured the email trail and when used in his grievance, the PM said nope, we're not allowing you to use that as evidence. As far as I'm aware there's an ongoing legal case around the matter, but going from the emails and current evidence, they want him out of the business because he's black. If he does win, he's looking at a 7 figure payout for racial discrimination, constructive dismissal and a host of other breaches.

madness

How about the email that went about that talked about "only" promoting females.

All of a sudden some very average to poor managers in our area got up to lead team or express manager.

They are both back down or off as they came from services and an ex clothing manager who had no idea how to run a shop.

They would have been future personell managers had the role still existed in store.

penguin

QuoteSome "hero to the workers" did something very similar in my store a few years ago - miraculously all evidence against his wrongdoing simply disappeared.
It was horrible, his disciplinary was thrown out and he spent the next three days gurning and grinning every time he walked past me in the shop, and held court in the canteen about how he had "sorted that **** out" (me).
Sadly, on the fourth day he was selected for a staff search and found to be in possession of a number of razor blades and memory cards that he didn't have receipts for and after an investigation he was dismissed for theft. He protested his innocence loudly and repeatedly, even after he had been sacked. Six months the later he was still proclaiming innocence and hadn't yet found a new job - difficult when you've been sacked for dishonesty I suppose.

I simply cannot imagine what happened.

A good manager will always get you out in the end.

It is managers like you who need to be got out, cant condone the guy going in and removing paperwork from his file but your attitude stinks to be honest, a good manager would never want to get anyone out, sometimes it has to be done but anyone taking pleasure in doing it needs to take a good look at themselves.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

londoner83

Totally agree. In most cases its better to retain someone you have invested time and effort in training,  than having to go thru the hassle of recruiting and training someone new.

However in some  cases obviously a line has to be drawn and after a investigation a consequence imposed on the employee. I doubt many managers relish issuing warnings or seeing one of their team dismissed, especially if they are then told they can't be replaced.

lucgeo

It all boils down to your store culture, coming directly from the store manager!

The store I worked in has a toxic store manager, who rules over everything with lies and contempt for the GA's. Lazy and unapproachable, and encourages ( bullies) the section managers to bend the rules for the benefit of his bonus! The atmosphere is dismal and morale extremely low.
The good managers are few, mostly having moved on to other stores or better paid alternative employment.

Go a few miles down the road to the next town, the store manager is respectful of his colleagues, works alongside them, and the whole atmosphere is of happy and supportive GA's, who are appreciated and that is wholly reciprocated. Some colleagues who have transferred there from my old store, are amazed at the comparison.

However, in part, I can understand where @nowanexmanager is coming from! It can also be said of some GA's, who are outspoken and dominant in their teams! They play the system, know which managers to manipulate as being too weak to challenge. Their presence can be seriously disruptive to both the manager and the team, causing daily conflicts. They either have other GA's in awe of them, or too meek to speak up, so suffer in silence! The majority secretly hope they leave, or are dismissed!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucky 456

Looking for information colleague on flex contract agrees to overtime and each time phones in with reason they can't come in ( child care etc etc) this has happened numerous times, manager just says it's being dealt with, this colleague  stated they will only work on one section and this week the said person has told manager , child not well will have to work reduced hours for the next couple of weeks !!! We are cut to the bone, and lots of holidays coming up. Basically is this allowed ?

Redshoes

As you don't know full story it's something that others can't answer. If colleagues was going through the process of not fulfilling flexi contract you should not know. If colleague has personal problems that we as a company need to support, you should not know. Being hostile or unfriendly to a colleague because you don't know the story behind what you see can be seen as bullying. There is a very fine line.
I understand how you feel but the process takes time. Different absences in the mix complicate things but it comes down to "have they taken on a job role they can't do" and have just had genuine issues but its of short term duration or if they are just not fulfilling role. Either way it's personal and private info and should not be talked about.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk