News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

14-08-22, 04:54AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 30,260
  • Total Topics: 552
  • Online today: 46
  • Online ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 19
Total: 20

Strike

Started by Twinkeltoes1, 14-12-21, 08:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twinkeltoes1

I have read somewhere that usdaw have called off strike in 9 of Depots as new  offer has been accepted, pity they don't fight for stores!!!


lordadmiral

OH f***!!! if there is no strike in Magor then we are f***ed OVER TEN TIMES. Work in store is a total nightmare now n is getting worse from day to day. Strike was offering a chance for some relief but if its not going to happen we can expect more work.
Its funny when 26 aisles must be filled by 14 people (it takes two people to fill some aisles) , now when warehouse is flooded with extra stock due posibility of strike its a joke.
So i am wonder what deal usdaw got from tesco?

Wait untill january and we will see what financial results tesco announce.

BUY TESLA STOCK

No aisle even in busy extra stores need 2 people. Produce might need 2 but not any grocery aisle. The SM can do the paper.

spike_pkh

Yeah, 2 people to fill an aisle is ridiculous. Most aisles can be completed with time to spare by a single person easily.

oldfashionedplayer

Wish we only had 26 aisles to fill by 14 people 😂, 38 is more accurate for ours..

Without overtime atm (ban on it),  fresh = 1 produce/flowers/dips/eggs/juice, 1 Yoghurts/sandwiches/milk, 2 readies, (2 aisles) 1 meat, 1 bread, (2 aisles)

Grocery = 1 h&b (6 aisles), 2 gluten/pasta/asian/oils (4 aisles), 1 bws (2 aisles), 1 confectionary/biscuits, 1 toilet rolls/cereal/tea coffee/ 1 tins (2 aisles), 1 pet food/homebake/household

And then 1 manager crisp and seasonal

Think I covered them all? With overtime we get 1 extra for h&b, bws and produce, 😂

Had 6 leavers over the past 2 months so there's that too 🤷‍♂️

We were all hoping for the strike, would of given us a rest... More are planning on handing in notice.

lucgeo

Depends on the aisle...crisps and cereal notoriously easy, big boxes, big products, shelf full! Same for toilet and kitchen rolls.
Health and beauty definitely need two if not three on a big fill. Fiddly little boxes! It was changed years ago to pre packed with plastic stand tray included to just put directly on shelf, and hours were lost because of this!
Now it's rare to have a tray for shelf included, and the ones that are, are so flimsy they're not fit for purpose!
Add to this the amount of high value individual items that require tagging, that's if you can find any tags, that haven't been secreted away or spider tags that haven't  just been dumped without being rewound, so all tangled  together   >:( >:(
It was supposed to be that the high value arrived pre tagged, this never happened whilst I was there, don't know if this is the case now ???
It became the norm for the fillers to not fill high value, and stock control were tasked with the tagging whilst in storing the gaps they found!., yep another " get stock control to do it" wonder who they dump it on now :(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

hesketh

Quote from: lordadmiral on 14-12-21, 10:29PM

So i am wonder what deal usdaw got from tesco?


The deal is very good once you go beyond the bare 6% rise.

Paid breaks is around another 8% and the old contract Saturday rate has gone from t+20% to t+1/3

Expect to see some much happier drivers (yeah I know ;D) earning about £100 a week more than they were.....
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

optout

maybe there should be different union due rates. Like first and second class.


the way i see it stores get a second class union service, and distribution get first class.


Bugger the partnership agreement, if the union gave a c**p they would find a way to avoid,evade,nullify or review it.  The union is funded in the main by stores (who in turn are mainly female) if that aint discrimination by the union I don't know what is.


where did distribution think that the funds to support their strike were going to come from? Yes, you guessed it, mainly from stores members.



I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

optout

#9
Paddy pants down is doing quite well, check out his pay.



union annual returns, year ended December 2020


https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/995956/382T_2020.pdf
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

madness

Our store Union rep was asking me if the strike was still on or cancled?  I was like, how would I know its your Union who you work for.

General Thorn

Quote from: optout on 18-12-21, 11:13PM
maybe there should be different union due rates. Like first and second class.


the way i see it stores get a second class union service, and distribution get first class.


Bugger the partnership agreement, if the union gave a c**p they would find a way to avoid,evade,nullify or review it.  The union is funded in the main by stores (who in turn are mainly female) if that aint discrimination by the union I don't know what is.


where did distribution think that the funds to support their strike were going to come from? Yes, you guessed it, mainly from stores members.

Absolutely agree with this.

We are constantly told that things continually change, needs of the business etc. They can change our job descriptions, our departments even our contracts if they follow the correct process. Bonuses have been taken away and even our pay rates eg double time, time and a half now time and a quarter.

So if Tosco can change all these things, some of which were in the original contracts that were signed, why on earth can the union not say the Partnership is not fit for purpose and needs to be reviewed and hopefully torn up?

lackofinterest

#12
maybe because then the union bosses wouldn't get backhanders?? ;) :-X

tablet

#13
Partnership Agreement
I agree this partnership should now be up for review.
Apart from changes to our benefit package / hours/ subsidised staff meals.
I work in a large store which can only describe as have squalid staff areas.

We have had no staff forum meetings this year.

However I do feel union membership is low in our store and as result  the union representation  is weaker and those members don't wont to rock the boat.

I am certainly going to write to our union leaders and see wat there response will be about a review in partnership agreement.

However we need large numbers of members challenging our union leadership.
Because either they don't care or are so far removed from our struggles.

We cannot carry on like this and should be asking our union leaders for a review.

person7

not being funny but a christmas temp in our store said they used to work in a distrubution centre couple years ago (again as a temp) and couldnt get over how much more stressful a store is - to the point they said they cant wait to quit after christmas period as "its too much to do"

why is they they always get paid lot more basic wage then us?

will defo feel it from april when we are only 5p above the minimum wage - yet the union doesnt seem to do anything for us!

person7

Quote from: lucgeo on 15-12-21, 11:52AM
Add to this the amount of high value individual items that require tagging, that's if you can find any tags, that haven't been secreted away or spider tags that haven't  just been dumped without being rewound, so all tangled  together   >:( >:(
It was supposed to be that the high value arrived pre tagged, this never happened whilst I was there, don't know if this is the case now ???
It became the norm for the fillers to not fill high value, and stock control were tasked with the tagging whilst in storing the gaps they found!., yep another " get stock control to do it" wonder who they dump it on now :(

0% of high value is tagged and it takes me ENTIRE 8 hour shift to get through everything - (we get at least 15 boxes a week and im the only one who seems to do them! - batteries are the worst and longest to tag - only thing to have soft tags is some sd cards and some speakers but we have to hard tag EVERY single time in the high value

Modena

So are usdaw now going to fight for us delivery drivers now 30p rise last time and the time before 8p a hour when everyone else got a decent pay rise, ocado and ixeland now pay more so do something for us usdaw.

NightAndDay

#17
The natural incentive for Tesco to offer a competitive pay rise is to retain staff, if the competition are offering more and better working conditions, then unless the indentured employee has serious confidence issues or has been broken down by being crucified by Tesco on the Appian way for too long (metaphorically of course) then they will jump ship.

USDAW as a result will lose members. There is a line though in how far USDAW will support a pay rise, Tesco don't have to be competitive and USDAW typically won't do anything as long as the pay rise isn't completely farcical. Usually the free market is a much more powerful factor in wage increases than union negotiation. USDAW and most unions help make sure the raise isn't too low rather than make them pay more than the competition.

lordadmiral

Quote from: person7 on 20-12-21, 09:33PM
not being funny but a christmas temp in our store said they used to work in a distrubution centre couple years ago (again as a temp) and couldnt get over how much more stressful a store is - to the point they said they cant wait to quit after christmas period as "its too much to do"

why is they they always get paid lot more basic wage then us?

will defo feel it from april when we are only 5p above the minimum wage - yet the union doesnt seem to do anything for us!

Long time ago work in warehouse was harder so pay was better. Just think of using electric pallet truck vs old pump one. Today DC are mostly modernised so work is easier but some DC are till in stone age but pay might be similar in both.
Above example comes from real life example given to me from a guy who moved from our store to Culina DC ( fully modernised) and lateroved to Range DC (only pump trucks in use). As he said  work in Range is a killer compared to Culina due lack of modernisation but pay is similar as it's the only way they can get workers.

Pay in retail is broken. Equal pay for unequal work or unequal pay for equal work. Industry require shake up.

person7

#19
[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

yeh I could get it before the modernisation, but wasn't aware some are still not, but pay in retail is definitely broken, sometimes I envy those who aren't running around all day! I barely get time to sit down and yet see some staff with time to kill, and it all depends what department you are in as well as stores vs DC etc.   I'm all for equal/fair pay but when in retail some areas are a lot harder work (depending if a store or DC or what department your in etc) it should reflect - (I do not hating on Tesco directly as such as many supermarkets have the same issues ... but Tesco is down near the bottom, actually I think it is the rock bottom on pay which is probably why a lot of staff have left over the past 2 years (and I've spotted them in competitors).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk