News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-04-24, 08:31PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,357
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 417
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Xmas hours

Started by Vinny1985, 28-11-21, 10:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightworker23

For night workers to the bank holidays are Friday into Saturday, and Sunday into Monday. Saturday night is voluntary.
I don't know why there is such confusion. It's written in the people policy and is on the managers Christmas working arrangements briefing pack.

Mark calloway

I've been refused the night off..  our store makes its own rules up

Nightworker23

Mark Calloway. They cannot refuse anyone these nights off. It's written in plain English in the people policy and recent union communication. The same rules apply to all stores. I'd begin grievance proceedings and get the union involved.
Don't let them bully you.

Mark calloway

Apparently our dept has reached its limit.

Baba_G

They really can't say no as it is a bank holiday . Just inform them you will take it off paid or unpaid . Give them at least 24 hours notice

Nightworker23

There is no limit. It's a bank holiday and is purely voluntary. It even specifies in the people policy that no colleagues have to work Christmas day, boxing day or new year's Day bank holidays.

madness

It's not so black and white as you think on here. Bank holidays can be refused if short staffed for that day.
However different rules for Xmas time etc.

. Do I have a choice about working on a
bank holiday?
This depends on the area of the business you work in:
Stores
If you joined Tesco before 26th January 2009, working on
a bank holiday is voluntary unless your contract specifically
requires you to do so.
If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are
insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may
be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding
Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day) if you
are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday
falls. Colleagues in Scotland also do not have to work on
2nd January if they don't want to and colleagues in Northern
Ireland may select an additional day where they do not
have to work if they don't want to.

If you're on a flexi contract, you are not expected to work
any flexi hours that fall on the day that is a bank holiday.
If you don't have a fixed working pattern, you will be treated
as if you are scheduled to work on the bank holiday.
However, it will still be your choice whether to work the day
or not, and the hours will be deducted from your holiday
allowance if you don't work.

wolfie

What has been said in earlier posts regarding Xmas Bank Holidays is correct.
Working on all the designated Bank Holidays over Christmas and New year is voluntary for all staff (whether day or night staff) in all Tesco stores.
Management cannot refuse you the time off.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: Mark calloway on 15-12-21, 05:51PM
I've been refused the night off..  our store makes its own rules up

What are the designated
Bank Holidays for day staff?
 Saturday 25 December 2021
(all stores closed).
 Monday 27 December 2021.
 Saturday 1 January 2022.
 Monday 3 January 2022
(Scotland only)

What are the designated
Bank Holidays for night staff?
For stores on the new
'Work and Pay' payroll system:
The night going into the Bank Holiday
will be classed as the Bank Holiday
(eg 24 into 25 December). Bank
Holiday Premium is paid on the
24-hours of the Bank Holiday
(eg midnight to midnight).

If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are
insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may
be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding
Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day) if you
are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday
falls. Colleagues in Scotland also do not have to work on
nd January if they don't want to and colleagues in Northern
Ireland may select an additional day where they do not
have to work if they don't want to.

Tell them your off, if they don't like it and try to go a route, your union rep or any challenge will feed them to the fishes... Show them the policy, if they still refuse put in a complaint on compliance with policy and request training is given 😂, p**s them off more 😂

Paupers wage

Previous to the introduction of the holiday hours system on fixed hours contract bank holidays eg Easter etc were not put on holidays request form and taken as not available to work is this still the case or have they now to be put on the holiday request form as well

madness

It is in the policy about 4 weeks notice. So you can't just get to the 21st of december and declare you are taking the 26th off.

wolfie

If management have kept the night teams in the dark regarding the correct Bank Holidays, telling staff the that they were the 24th and 25th December, then the 4 week rule cannot apply if they were only found to be misinforming staff in December.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: madness on 16-12-21, 11:56AM
It is in the policy about 4 weeks notice. So you can't just get to the 21st of december and declare you are taking the 26th off.

Ideally 4 weeks notice, but since its voluntary you can take it, so grinch managers can't take more Christmas from us. Nothing thry can do for Christmas ones.

So to anyone who wants it off, hand a form in with the dates, and just don't turn up, you can do that. Especially this year, your reps will back you on that anyhow...

For normal holidays it says 4 weeks sure, and as much notice, but depends on manager too, so yes on normal holidays aim for 4 weeks or work with manager, but Christmas ones thry don't tell you until last second so no chance.

lucgeo

BH/PD/ Holiday bookings should have been sorted and agreed earlier in the year, when the booking window opened  ???
Departments not operating fully over the festive period, ( stock control, merchandising) should have been given the department they would be supporting during their shift, by November at the latest!

If managers have not informed their teams by now, it goes as the time off given or grievance!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

oldfashionedplayer

I've had 2 holiday meetings in all my years, once when I started and once a year after.... Always excuse of "not enough time" or "not enough managers in", so always go my own way with how I do them.

kaled78

Quote from: lucgeo on 17-12-21, 11:03AM
BH/PD/ Holiday bookings should have been sorted and agreed earlier in the year, when the booking window opened  ???
Departments not operating fully over the festive period, ( stock control, merchandising) should have been given the department they would be supporting during their shift, by November at the latest!

If managers have not informed their teams by now, it goes as the time off given or grievance!

A few of our stock controllers take xmas week off as there is nothing for them to do!,they have been doing this for years to avoid having to fill shelves for a week

lucgeo

Really ??? There'd be a mutiny in my old store, if one department were allowed to take holiday Christmas week, because they didn't want to fill shelves :-X There are still some small routines that SC should be completing during the week.
They should be allocated one of the busier departments to support, usually produce, fresh, morning goods, bakery or seasonal aisles.
Dot.com used to get flack just for getting Christmas Eve off  :o
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Jacquee9

Quote from: 5fdp on 15-12-21, 03:01AM
Sunday nights is a holiday , make time up, unpaid...Monday 27th is a bh.

Hey I have a question about New Year's Eve.

Our store shuts at 7pm, so what do night shift workers do?

Are we working as normal overnight or swapping around as we did for Christmas Eve?

I'm assuming it's normal as we were shut Christmas Day and are open New Year's Day.

person7

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

Few years ago my shift was on new years eve, store closed at 6pm, my shift was still the normal until 10pm, most colleagues were there until midnight, but 8pm the manager on duty decided we could all go home, don't bother to clock out he will set us all manually so we still get paid.  lol

But unless things have changed in couple years I suspect it will be normal hours.

Jacquee9

I start at 10pm lol!!

Thankyou for the info though, I'll ask today and see what happens :-)

Baba_G

You are off for New Years . No night shift . Your manager should have told you this

BUY TESLA STOCK

Phone in sick  >:D

oldfashionedplayer

New years is book off, it's a Bank Holiday though thing so if your nights still can book it off with the union's guide, stores may be closed after a time but they'll still be restocked so night shift will still go ahead for those thst want to work it or new years eve to be honest.

Mark calloway

Is today,27th a bh or not? Half say yes,half say no. This place is a circus

lackofinterest

yes a tesco bank holiday as sunday can not be a bank holiday

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk