News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

16-04-24, 09:49AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,338
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 118
Total: 123

Xmas hours

Started by Vinny1985, 28-11-21, 10:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toscozombie

Hi everyone can I please just clarify that as this year Monday is a bank holiday and I work a Sunday night which is Boxing Day that I do not have to work . I have read threads and usdaw email but I must be a bit dim I didn't quite understand that bit .
We are being told we have to work boxing night as it is an ordinary night because nights Christmas is Friday and Saturday. The thing is I've been done over before on this when Christmas fell the same a few years ago .
After going in I found out later that as the Monday was a bh and on nights any bank holiday Monday is always the Sunday ( in our store that's how it works ) that I could have taken the option of taken it as holiday or unpaid etc .
I still have not had my Christmas hours meeting and I want to be prepared .
Thanks
Vintage worker

5fdp

The 24th is a bh , the 25th is a holiday or make time up or unpaid , the 26th is a bh.

Aunt sally

The 24th isnt a b/h

lackofinterest

the 27th is a bank holiday as they can't fall on a sunday!!

5fdp

Sorry, I was talking about nightshifts, no days.

5fdp

Days just moves by 1 day. Bh 25th, hol etc 26th and bh 27th.

toscozombie

Quote from: 5fdp on 08-12-21, 10:20AM
The 24th is a bh , the 25th is a holiday or make time up or unpaid , the 26th is a bh.

Thanks for your reply ......and for everyone else's input .
It is as you say in your answer for nights  and just had confirmation from usdaw . I am now armed with the correct information if I need it .
Thanks again
Vintage worker

Anothernightie

just to clarify, night workers on work and pay the bank holidays are friday sunday. saturday is voluntary for all.
please also note only hours that fall into the bank holiday are paid at bh rate ( not the full shift like it used to be )

Paupers wage

What is the new year bank holiday Monday 3rd January can it be taken as unpaid or if worked is it at overtime rate any clarification

oldfashionedplayer

What are the designated
Bank Holidays for day staff?
 Saturday 25 December 2021
(all stores closed).
 Monday 27 December 2021.
 Saturday 1 January 2022.
 Monday 3 January 2022
(Scotland only).

- Counts as Saturday, only moved if it's on a Sunday to a Monday for England if thats where you are, so have to book it off, shift swap or ask if you can have unpaid etc if need be but could be refused.

Paupers wage

Thanks old fashioned player
For clarifying the situation, assuming it's normal pay in England

oldfashionedplayer

Correct, Monday would be normal pay :)

Poppy123

Hi, I have been working in tesco now around 5 months on a permanent nightshift Contract.  I work Saturday to Tuesday 2300-0800 hours.  I requested Boxing Day and New Year's Day off as holidays having read the communication I assumed this wouldn't be a problem as per communication earlier in the year.  Being told by manager that they are seeking clarification for night shift workers and I am being refused the time off.  I wanted to take Boxing Day (sunday 26th as a personal day) and the 1st as a holiday.  Now being told everyone has to have 3 days off at Christmas and as am only contracted to work to Wednesday morning I will be having 4 days off so not entitled on that basis either.   I see knowhere in the communication that says this is the case. Can someone please clarify as I feel this is not correct and that I am being fobbed off.   Thanks people.

oldfashionedplayer

since i can't attach due to the size restrictions, this is what was sent out that mentioned before, if your stores not allowing you to book by the hour for your holidays, your not work and pay properly set up (even if they say you are), so you've got the "february voting" they are supposed to do to pick which days are bank holidays at christmas etc, but they never do so just challenge on that..

you shouldn't be forced to take it off though? think only if they don't have enough staff / management they'd do that? ours aren't all off for an extra though, most just booked it off.

https://imgur.com/a/BSOH99t

Poppy123

They are saying Xmas eve and Christmas days are the holidays as per the vote but Doesn't mention anything about that in the communication.  Simply states if you want Sunday off u can book a holiday so I don't get what they are on about?   It is clear in black and white but they say they are seeking clarification and not granting the holiday.

lucgeo

If you have already booked the time off earlier in the year and it was either authorised, or they didn't refuse it within the first 7 days of your request, then they have to honour it!

This should have been sorted well before now. They are messing you about...I have rarely seen the 3 day rule adhered to, always in Tesco favour, many don't get the 3 day off, especially day full timers.

With regard, not being allowed 4 days??? Why?? It should be a shift, not a day calculation. Nights are suffering a detriment, as they work across two calendar days, whereas day shift is classed as the one calendar day!

They can't penalise someone whose shift pattern enables a longer time off...My last two Christmas' working for Tesco, the days fell well with my shift pattern, and I was able to secure 10 days off for those two years, with PD BH and my off shifts!

Tell them they have by your next shift to clarify...with a full explanation in writing as to their stance!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

wolfie

If your store has moved to the new payroll system, work&pay, bank holidays for night staff should be fixed as the shift going into the bank holiday.
Therefore, as the designated bank holidays in Tesco this year are the 25th and 27th December, the bank holidays for night staff should be the 24th into the 25th and the 26th into the 27th.

Working on either of these bank holidays is voluntary for all staff, inline with Tesco's holiday policy.

oldfashionedplayer

Most are work and pay the problem. Is they don't allow you to book in hours, so the policies aren't correct with it.. 🤷‍♂️, that's the excuse I use and stick to 😂

wolfie

Oldfashionedplayer, I don't understand how you are so confused, it is the most straight forward for nights than its been for years.
Tesco's policy for the night team is, the night going into the bank holiday that is the 24th into 25th December bank holiday premium is paid on the 24 hours of the bank holiday (eg midnight to midnight. Straight forward and simple.

Now Boxing Day,
Boxing Day falls on a Sunday this year and inline with the holiday policy the designated bank holiday is moved to the Monday. Therefore Boxing Day is not a designated bank holiday.
Tesco have agreed that working on Boxing Day, 26th December will be on a voluntary basis. Those that do not wish to work can choose to book a holiday, arrange a shift swap if possible or take the day as unpaid leave.

For night staff this agreement would apply to whichever night shift is not the designated Bank Holiday which would be 26th into the 27th December.

Simple and straightforward.

oldfashionedplayer

Who said anything about confusion? I'm saying about how the policy wording is for non work and pay etc, it's supposed to be a vote and such I. February from night staff, which never happens, for this year however the union have put out a little guide, which does say "whichever night shift is not designated as the bank holiday" which makes a change from how it usually is.

Usually working into Christmas day, or boxing day is the choice nights get, but both are bank holidays that can and are given to days, and you often go through back and forth with management on it, hence my saying of "tell them there wasn't a vote" - since that picks... So there's nothing really can do about it.

Mark calloway

I've worked nights for over 8 years and we've never had a vote. In fact I'd never heard of it until this year

wolfie

oldfashionedplayer, on the old payroll system there was a designated 24hr period which replaced the actual Bank Holiday. That started at 12 noon on the day before the Bank Holiday or 12 noon on the day of the Bank Holiday. This was agreed after consultation with the management team, union reps and the night team.
The new payroll system gives the night team designated Bank holidays, the same as days.
Could you tell me where in the new work and pay payroll system does it say that there should be a vote on the Bank Holidays for the night team.

I was a union rep on nights for 15 years and find this new system a lot fairer for the night teams

Poppy123

Thanks everyone, I see it the same way but as of now less than 2 weeks before Christmas we still waiting to find out.  Seems ridiculous when the wording is so clear that this hasn't been sorted.

Mark calloway

If night staff are contracted to work Sunday and Monday,which day can they voluntarily have off? 26th or 27th?

5fdp

Sunday nights is a holiday , make time up, unpaid...Monday 27th is a bh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk