News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:08PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 295
Total: 299

Pay Increase 2021

Started by vyvan70, 25-10-21, 12:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vyvan70

National Living Wage set to rise to £9.50 an hour https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59038076

The BBC just published the minimum wage rising to £9.50 in the budget, giving a 6.6% increase over the current minimum. This would mean Tesco employees on the base rate would be virtually on minimum wage. Will Tesco be raising currently pay rates to match the percentage increase?

barafear

Chances of Tesco giving us a 6.5% pay rise (particularly from April 2022) are a big fat ZERO.

Clearly, Tesco (and other retailers and other businesses in low pay industries, e.g. hospitality) will need to adhere to these new levels - but I'm sure some creative thinking will be needed - and we all know, as far as store staff are concerned, that Tesco still have the Sunday/BH premium up their sleeve - other retailers have more or less got rid of that already.

As usual, Tesco may announce ......or agree with Usdaw as part of pur collective bargaining agreement.......that our base rate will increase to £10 per hour - but again delayed until the Autumn of 2022 - so a carrot to hope to retain staff - particularly for the busy Christmas period - and perhaps the time will be right to announce the end of Sunday premium - but probably not until the middle of 2023 - so again a little carrot to keep us happy for a few more months.

Paupers wage

The biggest and most profitable supermarket paying 5 pence above the minimum wage, yet had the opportunity to increase it to £10 per hour matching Morrisons hourly rate, agencies now paying over £10.50+ days £17+ an hour nights filling Tesco's main rival supermarket shelves, good job we have THE usdaw partnership on our side!

King1999

If the big 6 section of staff recommends tosco as a great place to work and shop isn't something that worries the  hiarchy which it isn't don't hold your breathe.A bit like a SM constantly saying we don't need anymore staff and then pissing his pants when he's got to work because we haven't.

penguin

Don't worry everyone I'm sure when the minimum wages goes up and some at Tesco are close to said minimum wages the old line about the benefits being worth so much per hour will get wheeled out again.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Biscuits

That means the new starter pay would need to be increased, putting them on only 5p less than established rate!

NightAndDay

Quote from: penguin on 25-10-21, 03:46PM
Don't worry everyone I'm sure when the minimum wages goes up and some at Tesco are close to said minimum wages the old line about the benefits being worth so much per hour will get wheeled out again.

They can't really use that line anymore with all the cuts to existing benefits and the loss of bonus. The competition not only pays higher rates, but now has comparable benefits. The reality is the only 2 benefits that Tesco has that's worth anything is Sunday premium and slightly better than industry standards pension scheme. If they axe Sunday premium, that would essentially be the death knell for being suitably staffed on Sundays, it'd not only be PR suicide, but economically unwise. It is an employees market at the moment, any cuts to pay or benefits would be an especially bad strategy in the short term when everyone else is competing heavily on staff remuneration.

As for the next pay increase. There is mounting criticism that Tesco don't pay their staff very well at all, a FTSE 100 employer paying their CAs 5p per hour above the legal minimum would go down like a lead balloon not only would it be a PR nightmare, but economically they wouldn't be able to get away with it in the current job market.

King1999

Even the staff discount is a joke now......another benefit we should be oh so grateful for.Just looks like there isn't much wiggle room for the company after the Lewis cut fest.Short term gain long term doom.

King1999

They run them like prisons so yeah 😏

Hammer10

Don't even have a decent canteen with proper food in it to appease the staff we are like cattle to them maybe some bread and a glass of water in your break it's ok if you are in a town centre but many of us are in the middle of no where and I hate eating the trash off the shop floor ,as regards wages we have no chance of a decent pay rise they spent all the money paying off people partners.

RocketRonnie100

Love the above post @Hammer10 haha

NightAndDay

Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 25-10-21, 05:21PM
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/usk-prisoners-hired-tesco-concern-21951130?fbclid=IwAR2KSu0mWTPhw_GZ86JT5WhFSkHTx9ONpvR3kv64oLnhm4VR_bcOZb6w7Jg

Maybe this is why they are not bothered about paying a decent wage.

I'm trying to find the bit in the article where it says Tesco doesn't pay them. Wouldn't put it past them, they tried to get free labour from Workfare after all.

lordadmiral

My payslip from oct 2010, basic rate 6.811 while new minimum wage was 5.93.
Night premium bit lower but higher sunday premium.

Very sad day for us.

lordadmiral

Quote from: NightAndDay on 25-10-21, 07:01PM
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/usk-prisoners-hired-tesco-concern-21951130?fbclid=IwAR2KSu0mWTPhw_GZ86JT5WhFSkHTx9ONpvR3kv64oLnhm4VR_bcOZb6w7Jg

I'm trying to find the bit in the article where it says Tesco doesn't pay them. Wouldn't put it past them, they tried to get free labour from Workfare after all.

Article from 2016 sayis its £4 per hour as minimum but i cant find proper answer. They r on lower pay for sure.

LucyJ

Minimum Wage is actually only going up to £9.16. It was announced on the news earlier.

Morris999

It's £9.18 and that's for 21-22 year olds, it's £9.50 for anyone over that.

Modena

Trying to get this out there in case people don't know ocado are know paying £12-40 a hour basic rising to £16 to £19 for overtime and lates on wkends, job and knock and you don't load your own vans, why are tesco not responding to this as 4 of our drivers have applied already.

Hammer10

Because they are tight.

baldeagle

In pay talks in distribution Tesco are denying that staff shortages are a problem, and offering low settlement figures. At the same time offering large retention bonuses to keep staff over Xmas.

person7

Quote from: vyvan70 on 25-10-21, 12:50PM
National Living Wage set to rise to £9.50 an hour https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59038076

The BBC just published the minimum wage rising to £9.50 in the budget, giving a 6.6% increase over the current minimum. This would mean Tesco employees on the base rate would be virtually on minimum wage. Will Tesco be raising currently pay rates to match the percentage increase?

i was wondering the same thing but I've never heard of tesco doing a wage increase in april, I bet we will get a tiny 30p an hour increase by october and thats it. - I mean we WERE promised over £10 an hour by at least 1 - 2 years ago, but yet to see any of that happening.

person7

maybe thats why we are seeing a lot of missing high value items in delivery for the past 2 months  ??? ???

chris9997

Quote from: person7 on 26-10-21, 05:21PM

maybe thats why we are seeing a lot of missing high value items in delivery for the past 2 months  ??? ???
tesco would need to make sure that any increase next year either matches or is more than increase in 2023 as if they go to say £9.80 in october and the nmw goes to £10 in april 23 then it will be below to nmw.

NightAndDay

Tesco currently pays a minimum of £9.55 an hour (for "established" staff). The living wage going up to 5p below this amount in April and Tesco implementing their pay reviews in Aug-November while revealing it in July means that their next pay announcement will have to be more than the mateyboy 25-30p increases they've been giving out to avoid being lower than the living wage the April after.

Though the bigger question is if they will actually get around to maintaining pay differentials between graded hourly staff, the past 6 or so years, the nominal amount has been the same across all hourly paid roles meaning the difference in real value between what a ca earns and a shift leader earns has been diminishing.

It's not worth being a Shift Leader as it stands, the best options for them at that point would be to step down to ca or become a team manager with their Salary range being at the moment £22.5-£70k a year.

Morris999

Team Managers salary ranges between 22.5k-70k!

I've read some bulls*** on here but I think that has to be the best one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk