News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 08:48AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 439
Total: 442

Pay Increase 2021

Started by vyvan70, 25-10-21, 12:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Checkout Superstar

They won't be able to hold off making us £10 an hour this year but it won't happen until October as always and if it is an the expense of the Sunday premium being axed I can see loads of people trying to jump ship from Sunday shifts prior to the change lol

BUY TESLA STOCK

Why would you work the weekend for almost no extra anyway when other companies are offering double time. People should put a stance to this. The inflation rises might push more people to join the dole at least then you can just ask for all expenses paid. Plenty of people with decent jobs getting a £500 wage rise for it all to be taken away in national insurance.

whatajoke2019

Part of me does wonder if time and a quarter will become extinct this year for Sundays and Bank Holiday given that (if I've understood correctly) anyone working the Platinum Jubilee (not sure if it's the Thursday or the Friday) will get their usual rate of pay plus time and a quarter on top.

Give with one hand and take with t'other!

OvaSees

Said years ago that the funding of minimum wage and its subsequent increases would be achieved by erosion of premiums and money from elsewhere and everyone around me laughed... the next thing is going to be hours, given constant cuts and restructures coupled with few premiums left to erode, getting £10 or more per hour will result in less hours being offered. You can earn £5 per hour and get a 20 hour contract or you can £10 per hour and get a 10 hour contract - either way you're only ever going to earn £100 and thus suffer more as inflation bites harder. The other issue this will cause very soon is a crisis of recruiting into certain roles - I mean, why should I get up at the crack of Dawn in the pouring rain to tip deliveries when I can stand on self scan for the same money at a more convenient time?

barafear

It's one of the global risks of govts introducing minimum wages. Can employers afford to pay them or will it result in hours being reduced or bonuses/overtime premiums being cut?
In theory, if staff costs increase (or for that matter any other costs), a business has two choices: Keep selling at the same price and achieve lower profits (or losses) or to pass on the cost of the increases to the consumer by way of price increases.

Govts factor in that by increasing NLW by 6% there will probably be a knock on effect in inflation - but so long as the inflation is manageable, all's well that ends well.

The current issue is that there are other outside factors which mean that we're currently running at an inflation rate of 6-8% (depending on which measure you look at) and that's before the new 6% increase in NLW kicks in.

Covid has had its impact.

Then travel costs/shortage of lorry drivers etc.

So costs of business have been increasing already - and that was before the utilites/gas price increases and now we're seeing ridiculous increases in petrol/diesel (albeit the main reason of it being the very sad happenings in Ukraine - which are a reminder to us all that here we all are moaning about being paid NLW but clearly there are worse things happening in the world.).

Hibobhi

Record profit by Tesco, I don't care about how hard it is for them, pay me more than s*** while Tesco makes billions in profits

Paupers wage

To right Hibobhi plain speaking hits the nail on the head!

barafear

Just wanted a whinge on the perennial subject of our "pay increase" (or as Tesco refer to it, Pay Review). I know that it's down to this agreement that "we" struck with Usdaw many years ago - and at the time, I'm sure it was felt that it was in everyone's benefit to do it the way it's done - now my whinge isn't really about whether Usdaw do well or bad by us - more a case of understanding quite how the system/process supposedly works.

If my understanding is correct, we go through a lengthy (months and months) process where supposedly Usdaw reps up and down the country collate our views (people who work in store and are in the union - or maybe even including those who are not) - then a select number of these reps (about 10-12 I think) supposedly sit on some sort of panel to have meetings with tesco hierarchy to discuss our demands and to negotiate out a suitable deal. But during this process, generally speaking the info is all hush hush - do other supermarkets operate in this manner? Or do they just come out and say "this is your new rate of pay from next April, get on with it"

I've worked in the public sector - and you'd think that process would be over-wieldy - but the chain of events there seems to be:

1) The union asks for some ridiculous pay rise (normally 10%+) justifying it by the fact that the staff are working for the benefit of society etc. In addition the Union will also probably demand more AL entitlement for everyone and a shorter working week (but still getting the same salary + 10% rise requested)
2) Within a short time frame, the Govt come back and offer 1% - and then the unions ask with dismay and say its deirsory and threaten strike actions and demand more meetings - and generally the Govt come back with a final offer - generally about 1.5% - and repeat the same cycle - unions go through the process of asking their members whether they want to strike - and yes it's a lengthy process - but at least employees know at all times what's being offered and what's being asked for by our unions.

With the Tesco process, it's all a big secret - and then when Tesco announce it, it's always dressed up as being "achieved in partnership with Usdaw" - "all staff have had their opportunity to have their say" (like when we all said we don't want an annual bonus, we'd rather have 30p/hour extra to bring us just about up to NLW) - and as haws been the case for the last few "reviews", Tesco then will generally delay the increase for many months - with the added words that Usdaw fought hard for that extra 10p/hour but it's only affordable to Tesco if we wait for six or seven months - it's quite frustrating - even though we are all now resigned to the fact that Tesco will only do the minimum it needs to do - and we know that probably from November we'll be earning the same hourly rate as already paid by the likes of our competitors - and we're all fairly sure that the paltry premiums paid for Sunday/BH/nights may well be compromised at some point -

I don't think it's much to look forward to - but why the long long delay!!

Biscuit tin

Everyone moaning about not getting paid enough. So ungrateful, It'll soon be Easter and you might get some nice colouring in pictures in the canteen.

NightAndDay

Quote from: barafear on 21-03-22, 06:35PM
Just wanted a whinge on the perennial subject of our "pay increase" (or as Tesco refer to it, Pay Review). I know that it's down to this agreement that "we" struck with Usdaw many years ago - and at the time, I'm sure it was felt that it was in everyone's benefit to do it the way it's done - now my whinge isn't really about whether Usdaw do well or bad by us - more a case of understanding quite how the system/process supposedly works.

If my understanding is correct, we go through a lengthy (months and months) process where supposedly Usdaw reps up and down the country collate our views (people who work in store and are in the union - or maybe even including those who are not) - then a select number of these reps (about 10-12 I think) supposedly sit on some sort of panel to have meetings with tesco hierarchy to discuss our demands and to negotiate out a suitable deal. But during this process, generally speaking the info is all hush hush - do other supermarkets operate in this manner? Or do they just come out and say "this is your new rate of pay from next April, get on with it"

I've worked in the public sector - and you'd think that process would be over-wieldy - but the chain of events there seems to be:

1) The union asks for some ridiculous pay rise (normally 10%+) justifying it by the fact that the staff are working for the benefit of society etc. In addition the Union will also probably demand more AL entitlement for everyone and a shorter working week (but still getting the same salary + 10% rise requested)
2) Within a short time frame, the Govt come back and offer 1% - and then the unions ask with dismay and say its deirsory and threaten strike actions and demand more meetings - and generally the Govt come back with a final offer - generally about 1.5% - and repeat the same cycle - unions go through the process of asking their members whether they want to strike - and yes it's a lengthy process - but at least employees know at all times what's being offered and what's being asked for by our unions.

With the Tesco process, it's all a big secret - and then when Tesco announce it, it's always dressed up as being "achieved in partnership with Usdaw" - "all staff have had their opportunity to have their say" (like when we all said we don't want an annual bonus, we'd rather have 30p/hour extra to bring us just about up to NLW) - and as haws been the case for the last few "reviews", Tesco then will generally delay the increase for many months - with the added words that Usdaw fought hard for that extra 10p/hour but it's only affordable to Tesco if we wait for six or seven months - it's quite frustrating - even though we are all now resigned to the fact that Tesco will only do the minimum it needs to do - and we know that probably from November we'll be earning the same hourly rate as already paid by the likes of our competitors - and we're all fairly sure that the paltry premiums paid for Sunday/BH/nights may well be compromised at some point -

I don't think it's much to look forward to - but why the long long delay!!

USDAW is Tesco's puppet democracy, it has about as much legitimacy as democracy in Russia. USDAW is the victim in an abusive relationship with Tesco, Tesco is lord of all that is golden and lets USDAW stay around to make money from its members, but if USDAW crosses the line, Tesco will have no problem casting them asunder, you can think of it like diplomacy on the world stage, it gives the facade that world leaders are civilized and have embraced the age of enlightenment, hiding away the reality that might is right and as long as a country has nuclear weapons, all other countries will have to toe the line or face ruination at the hands of the more powerful country.

The pay review process is illegitimate and operates in much the same manner, the bean counters at Tesco will have already forecasted and worked out what they can offer in these pay reviews to maintain profitability along side forecasted profits way before the song and dance by USDAW has taken place. They prioritize shareholder investment over floor pay and as such, keep wages as low as possible to maintain the relationship with shareholders.

The big whoopsydoodle in 2014 has left a scar on that relationship, Tesco will essentially be breaking out the vaseline for a good few more years to mend that broken trust, and that vaseline comes in the form of CAs taking the paddle in terms of pay which we can also see if we compare pay in relation to competitors pre and post 2014, we've gone from top dog to being buggered by the Coop.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: Biscuit tin on 21-03-22, 07:39PM
Everyone moaning about not getting paid enough. So ungrateful, It'll soon be Easter and you might get some nice colouring in pictures in the canteen.

A pay rise too late things have already gone up price.

tescopleb

The problem with the Tesco pay review is the role of the Forum. It's not just Useless we get shafted by but our own (as has been proved in the past). Tesco just turn around and blame the Forum or in other words US the staff.

madness

The forum is in our store is full of the most annoying workshy or do gooders. You know, the sort of person that actually stops to answer questions from people on the streets with clip boards.

Hibobhi

madness

Store manager meets monthly with the reps and a few people from each department who have volunteered to basicly skive off their actual job. The "forum" then usually listens to the Karens moan about all the trivial things like customers taking two blue tokens instead of one or how the odd number checkouts are 2cm  shorter.

FarmerFred

Not every rep is workshy or out to skive - several reps in our store have come in on their own time to attend meetings - me included. Yes, we often end up having to deal with trivial nonsense, but we also deal with important issues such as repeatedly blocked fire exits, hygiene issues, etc. We are expected to canvas our colleagues around issues, dealing with the minor issues and take the important issues to the store forum - we don't get paid any more, or get any benefits apart from getting to sit in a meeting occasionally and be told that there is no money available to resolve "issue x"

lackofinterest

£10.10p an hour. first paid in august payday!!

lackofinterest

sunday premium staying but new starters won't get it

lucgeo

Quote from: Hibobhi on 07-04-22, 04:59PM
Wtf is the forum

The forum is "supposed" to represent the issues brought up by your colleagues.
Each department is "supposed" to have an elected representative to raise their issues.
Each forum has reserved seats for the H&S rep and a union rep.
One member of the forum is elected to represent the store, by attending an area forum with the area hierarchy, and take the issues raised that cannot be dealt with instore, such as Tesco policy, or lack of response pertaining to constant nationwide bigger issues of complaint.
The forum is usually every three months, and the minutes from the forum SHOULD be printed and displayed on the staff notice board, detailing all issues raised, and reply as to what was agreed, should that be as assigned to a certain in store manager, or forwarded to the area forum. Also any updates from previous forum complaints.
That's what the forum is " supposed" to do!!

My reality, as a forum rep, was far from how it was "supposed" to be conducted. The early years was rigorously supported by the SM, and PM and everything was followed to the letter...but then the new SM and PP arrived...and it all went down the swanny.

SM refused to discuss any forum slips put in the box unless the person gave their name and dept...( so they could help them more  :-X)  even though it clearly states on the cards that name & dept  are not obligatory...I got round it by writing my own anonymous complaints, asking why my previous ones had been ignored due to me not giving my name & dept, as stated not required, so could I have clarification from the area forum if this was still the case  :-*

Then the SM and PP attempted to replace the elected area forum rep, with their own chosen naïve forum rep! When that failed, they rightly said an election for forum reps hadn't been held for a number of years, therefore was overdue!
The PP announced that the forum members had been in situ for too long, and new blood was needed, actually stated that the sitting reps were perhaps no longer suitable due to having their own agenda  :-X :-X  Ok so a few of us were union reps  ;)

So knowing how the colleagues in our store had absolutely no interest in joining the forum as members, we agreed to all step down, and let the "new blood" who might bring a fresh approach stand for election! They got 3 who showed an interest...they needed 14!!!

PP went grovelling to the old members who all declined her offer to stand again!! No thanks love  :D :D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk