News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

24-04-24, 02:05AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,401
  • Total Topics: 637
  • Online today: 317
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 205
Total: 205

Pay Increase 2021

Started by vyvan70, 25-10-21, 12:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: leedslad on 04-03-22, 07:55PM
We are going to £10hr but not till September union rep told some staff today but why September ages away

So they'll be the number 1 lowest payer by then.   >:D

Hibobhi

Guess to get the £10 the union will sell us out and lose the Sunday premium, and for like the 6th year in a row I'll earn pennies more than I did in 2017

BUY TESLA STOCK

Keep the low/middle class working to pay for the pandemic and governments holiday homes. Then with the pennies left they may be able to buy a new pair of trainers and rent a car from Sir Arnold.

NightAndDay

Tesco really is going to the dogs, I for the life of me can't figure out why the entire ga population of Tesco won't resign and get jobs as bin men for more money.

fatlad

Anyone in the know about when the results of the current pay negotiations may be revealed. Thinking if its not going to be much may start looking for other jobs. I do quite enjoy what I do but I'm not going to continue doing it for peanuts when everyone around us seems to be getting decent pay increases.

NightAndDay

Fatlad, you also have to take into consideration that the previous few rate rises occured in August/September, a good 6-8 months from when every competitor announced their pay rises. Yes you could argue that Tesco is giving their reviews at a point in time furthest away from any HMRC announcements on what the new minimum wage would be in April, but the thing about going with that approach is that every competitor is paying significantly more than Tesco for those 6-8 months before they implement their rate rise.

With this staggered approach being the case,  it devalues the true amount offered to Tesco colleagues on the basis that from 4-6 months after Tescos pay rise, every competitor will be ahead again, with this being the case to get comparable measures of pay with the competition, you've got to multiply Tescos headline increase by 0.4 (halfway between 1/3 and 1/2). For example, an increase to £10 an hour wouldn't be the same as Morrison's or Sainsbury's increase to £10 an hour if they've done it 6-8 months ago, in 4-6 months, that £10 an hour will have increased while Tesco will still be paying £10 an hour until 1 year later.

Unless you regularly work Sundays, you're better off at any competitor except for Icelands.

horatiocain

The negotiations are ongoing  its likely we will break the £10 an hour mark but its not finalised yet.

BUY TESLA STOCK

What's £10 an hour going to buy nowadays. You'll have to be working every hour. 

thor god of thunder

the fascination with £10 per hour has in my opinion been a massive negative. the fact is that many premiums have been scrapped that if you are stupid enough to work for the company for the last 10 years....including me....if you work full time or more then full time your actually still earning less then you did 5 years ago. im sure the old dears doing 15-20 hours sat on a check out love the pay rises but anyone wanting to earn some kind of proper living simply cant any more. getting £10 an hour in the next pay rise doesn't really make any real benefit.

NightAndDay

Honestly, being a bin man is the way to go, more money and have to deal with less s*** from Mickey Mouse Managers.

penguin

Quote from: TESLA on 05-03-22, 11:11PM
What's £10 an hour going to buy nowadays. You'll have to be working every hour. 

People are going to have to learn to adapt, we all had to after the credit crunch back in 2008 and people will do now with the cost of living, maybe not the answer people want to get but like many I have lived through previous times of economic downturns and you have to simply get on with it. Do not think I am loaded and sitting here giving a lecture I am seeing my electric bill go sky high, gas going up, phone contract going up, thankfully on a fixed rate deal on the mortgage right now but everything else is becoming more expensive and this trend seems like it will continue for a while yet as the long term effects of the pandemic and the Russian attack in Ukraine are felt.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

fatlad

It's been that long now that everyone's been pushing for £10p/h that we should now be ousting for more as £10 is now a low hourly wage compared to some other jobs.

Rumblerumble

Pay negotations are still ongoing
Nothing has been finalised

Quote from: TESLA on 04-03-22, 10:53PM
Quote from: leedslad on 04-03-22, 07:55PM
We are going to £10hr but not till September union rep told some staff today but why September ages away

So they'll be the number 1 lowest payer by then.   >:D

BarryZola

Let's be honest, the union have pretty much zero say in our next wage deal. The Tesco board will decide the deal between themselves and it will entirely depend on:

- Do they want to at least keep SOME of the staff with at least a few years experience?

+

- Do they want to save themselves the embarassment and outrage of being the largest retailer in Britain and a member of the FTSE 100 and only paying minimum wage?

I expect that they'll do what recent history suggests, which is, to give a pay-rise that not long after actually making it into your pay packet is almost caught up by the minimum wage a few months later. So they may announce a wage of £10, for example, but you won't start getting it until later this year, then early next year the minimum wage will go up to £9.90. They basically track just above the minimum wage for all intents and purposes nowadays give or take several months. With no bonus any more too, because apparently we told them we didn't want a bonus any more a few years ago. That turned out well...

thor god of thunder

its even better then that, we apparently get our bonus in our hourly wage! but wait we should be thankful as we were never guaranteed our bonus before but now we get it every pay day! never heard so much rubbish in my life. they must think all the staff have only been there a couple of years. I had 10 years of a bonus every year till they lied to the stock exchange and ruined everything. it won't make £10 this next rise it will be about £9.90 I think. it will be interesting to see of and when they take Sunday premiums away, that could be the year it crosses £10

barafear

interesting discussion about our "impending pay review" - not sure what this fascination is about becoming a bin man!!
Surely if shop floor staff feel the job they do is comparable to working in a depot - then why not get a job in a depot - where the wages are around 20% higher than shops/NLW and seemingly after the last minute deal to avert the strike action conditions/benefits are better too.

My thoughts on working for Tesco and future changes are that there is a continued move towards automation and cutting back on staff. The latest being the change from "one in front service" to "a timed wait period for customers" - meaning that Tesco need fewer staff on the tills - less need to do multistaff call - so probably less staff on the shopfloor.
Keep pushing scan as you shop - keep pushing online shopping -

I heard talk of doing something about our discount card - perhaps having more 15% days - it does seem that Tesco have "bowed to criticism" from staff on two "small" things on "OurTesco" in the last few months - firstly the 20% Christmas discount - which originally was counting towards people's discount limit - and then at the last minute, Tesco did a U Turn.  And the latest was that for the whole of March discounts are continuing to apply for people that have reached their limits.

I guess an increase to the £1000 limit is overdue - so that might come and be lauded as an additional benefit.

As we've seen from Tesco in the last few pay reviews, they will spin it in a very positive way even if people are not benefitting as much as others.

I agree with the general sentiment that Tesco will just do the "minimum" to be legal - and its got to such a point that if they do maintain Sunday/BH premiums, we'll all be very grateful - rather than remembering the reduction from double to 1.5 to 1.25 in the last few years.

I guess as time passes,there are fewer and fewer people who got double time or even 1.5 - so if/when the change is made to a flat rate, then there won't be so many deflectors.

I also agree that the way Tesco have taken things away from us and told us that it's what we wanted is a bit ungracious too - but I guess they will continue to do it - no doubt at some stage when the premiums are removed, we'll be told it's because we all wanted it to happen.

Maybe our tiny little brains can't compute all these complicated pay rates/codes - so let's just have one simple £10/hr rate (and match NLW)!!!

Hammer10

In time Tesco will have to pay the same as distribution as it's going through the courts the longer it goes on the more compensation for those who signed up.So while they can limit the pay rise the more they save ,but will have to pay out in the future.

Paulie

We need the pay rise in April with the way cost of living is rising. I can no longer afford to shop at Tesco now. I just buy a few products that I like when we have 15%, but shopping with the discounters now and saving a small fortune.

NightAndDay

Quote from: barafear on 07-03-22, 01:54PM
interesting discussion about our "impending pay review" - not sure what this fascination is about becoming a bin man!!
Surely if shop floor staff feel the job they do is comparable to working in a depot - then why not get a job in a depot - where the wages are around 20% higher than shops/NLW and seemingly after the last minute deal to avert the strike action conditions/benefits are better too.

My thoughts on working for Tesco and future changes are that there is a continued move towards automation and cutting back on staff. The latest being the change from "one in front service" to "a timed wait period for customers" - meaning that Tesco need fewer staff on the tills - less need to do multistaff call - so probably less staff on the shopfloor.
Keep pushing scan as you shop - keep pushing online shopping -

I heard talk of doing something about our discount card - perhaps having more 15% days - it does seem that Tesco have "bowed to criticism" from staff on two "small" things on "OurTesco" in the last few months - firstly the 20% Christmas discount - which originally was counting towards people's discount limit - and then at the last minute, Tesco did a U Turn.  And the latest was that for the whole of March discounts are continuing to apply for people that have reached their limits.

I guess an increase to the £1000 limit is overdue - so that might come and be lauded as an additional benefit.

As we've seen from Tesco in the last few pay reviews, they will spin it in a very positive way even if people are not benefitting as much as others.

I agree with the general sentiment that Tesco will just do the "minimum" to be legal - and its got to such a point that if they do maintain Sunday/BH premiums, we'll all be very grateful - rather than remembering the reduction from double to 1.5 to 1.25 in the last few years.

I guess as time passes,there are fewer and fewer people who got double time or even 1.5 - so if/when the change is made to a flat rate, then there won't be so many deflectors.

I also agree that the way Tesco have taken things away from us and told us that it's what we wanted is a bit ungracious too - but I guess they will continue to do it - no doubt at some stage when the premiums are removed, we'll be told it's because we all wanted it to happen.

Maybe our tiny little brains can't compute all these complicated pay rates/codes - so let's just have one simple £10/hr rate (and match NLW)!!!

If I was in charge of compensation at a competitor, I would look at the when, rather than the what when it comes to detailing pay reviews. Tesco is on a staggered keel compared to the competition, by the time April comes, they will be paying 5p an hour above the minimum.

The benefits of doing the pay review when they do it (ideally positioned halfway between the previous and next tax year) is that they can showboat their lauded increase, but the actual value of the increase would be half as they've done it 6 months after everyone else. But nobody else would see this, most people would compare the new rate to the competitors who have had their rate for a good 6-8 months already.

In fact, when you consider that inflation is usually transient, Tesco employees are in effect double whammied by this. Tescos cost savings on the when and not the what are astronomical.

BUY TESLA STOCK

[admin]Wrong thread.[/admin]

Fair play

Quote from: Hammer10 on 07-03-22, 03:17PM
In time Tesco will have to pay the same as distribution as it's going through the courts the longer it goes on the more compensation for those who signed up.So while they can limit the pay rise the more they save ,but will have to pay out in the future.

Do you know when our discount amount is renewed. Would it be April ?

Totot

We have to remember that tesco ceo and director are not people who  are good to manage/expand business. They are here not for long, and will just try to get as much income as possible, pleasing those big stakeholder. It is all in tesco financial statement what they need to achieve, and what number for them to get remuneration.

It is base on positive financial statement on the stock market, and there, where all their extra remuneration come from.
To build a business are far different then just to achieved good quarterly report that can send positive vibe to the market. I really doubt even, if they understand completely about this business, judging from what the implementation of their policy.

Three layer of management in tesco, the top one, ceo and director, mid management and low management such sm etc.

While the top management know they got no ability to fight head on with much smaller business like aldi or lidl, they will look into the right part of the page, cutting expenses and keep some liquidity not into really low number, delay and cover method.

Meanwhile mid management will try to implement the higher management plan with some tweaking, no matter how absurd it will be and contra productive even, and the lower management sometimes sees it as the truth above the truth try to implement it in ott way.Fix some issues will be a last resort with emergency approach.

The management system is not working professionally, as no bottom up info and policy, but that is the benefit with this kind of management, not to do things right, as to get effective in most efficient way, but to do what you have been told. Another reason nepotism is common in career of this type of management.

So, are they really care about our income and benefit? no
Are they care about tesco business and future? no, at least as long as their career in this company.

What they gonna do is keep the expenses low or even lower since liquidity is not good from last year report, and that after selling some long term asset. Who knows what asset they will try to sell this year or what kind of cutting.

Good company will give increase as much as possible with the longest time, a 12 full month of financial year.
With tesco, if they can, they will try to give the smallest pay increase from the closest month to next march.
As long as if it is not disrupting business operational, it is acceptable for them.

tescopleb

What chance do we have when those at the top aren't even trying to make money?

barafear

If our pay rises were anywhere in line with the way prices are increasing in the stores then we're all set for bumper wages!!

I could list some of the rises (just on a few products I buy) - but I think we're all aware - and Tesco are not just putting prices up by 5% - most are 10%+ - couple of small examples:

Frijj milkshakes: Up 15%
Belgian Buns (twin pack): Up from £1.25 to £1.40 (10%+)

Of course our pay rise is not going to see us receiving a net 10%+ increase in our pay packets!!

Totot

If tesco can give pay rise inline with gov inflation base on customer price index, that will be generous....for tesco standard.
But we know our real inflation that can be tweak for personal condition or our family, will be much more than gov inflation number.

Just the basic, from housing, transport, weekly grocery shopping, daily shopping, energy bill and water, council tax and consumer expenses, we can see easily most people will fall more than 10% increase. And the difference between income and expenses will eat some saving/investment allocation, lower consumption in quantity or/and quality, leisure expenses, or even increase of debt.

Next month, expenses will increasing again, and tesco wont give pay rise next month. It will make the moral of staff even lower, and more resistance to management and customer. Whatever marketing trick they gonna use in summer won't be quite effective, and plus the company struggle with liquidity with a short term solution, they might come up with cutting more expenses, and sell more asset.

As long as it wont affect or disturb/halt business operational, they will go ahead with being stingy and "cut the branches " strategy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk