Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

25-01-22, 07:47PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48864
  • Total Topics: 950
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Shift leaders  (Read 15562 times)

Kieth_Lemon

Re: Shift leaders
« Reply #75 on: 08-11-21, 08:24PM »
I agree Penguin. 1 on 1 working shouldn't happen but the reality is it does more often than not.

In Tesco if someone is out sick or on holiday. they are only covered if the overtime budget allows so more often than not they don't.

Rosst. Every shift you will be on you are the Duty Manager, and in effect will be running the store so in that respect is the same as coop.

Tesco are rolling out the woosh service but I've yet to hear of the budgets being increased to cover the resources need to operate this.

Also did they tell you your going to be your stores cleaner too as Tesco saw fit to bin off the cleaners to save money.

Not trying to put you off joining Tesco just cautioning you to go in with your eyes open.

penguin

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #76 on: 08-11-21, 09:02PM »
You make a very valid point about the cleaners, middle of the worst pandemic since the infamous Spanish Flu, everyone asked to increase hygiene levels, Tesco lets get rid of cleaners from express to save a few quid. If that does not tell everyone what this company finds important then nothing well.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Pda-smith

« Reply #77 on: 09-11-21, 12:03AM »
Getting rid of the cleaners during a pandemic was the final straw for me. The expectations of a shift leader in an express is wildly unachievable at the best of times. Unable to take a full (unpaid) break was my biggest gripe. Not a chance you are getting 1.5 hours in.
Moved to a competitor a few months back and so far the grass is greener. Little less money but 100% worth the less stress.

Rosst

« Reply #78 on: 09-11-21, 12:29AM »
Getting rid of the cleaners during a pandemic was the final straw for me. The expectations of a shift leader in an express is wildly unachievable at the best of times. Unable to take a full (unpaid) break was my biggest gripe. Not a chance you are getting 1.5 hours in.
Moved to a competitor a few months back and so far the grass is greener. Little less money but 100% worth the less stress.

Are we allowed to know who, incase its where i came from 🤔

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #79 on: 09-11-21, 08:34AM »
Went for my interview, was offered the job. Sounds similar to what I do now with the coop, but mire pay plus extra pay on Sundays (although that looks to change as no one else offers that anymore)

I have read alot of bad things, but i can honestly say it sounds better than my current employer so its a no brainer same job more pay. Plus it sounds like tesco never really do 1 on 1 or even deliveroo so winning already.

The pay I was told is 11:16 for the first 3 months then i think he said 11.65 after that. Does that sound familiar. Either way better than 10:45 an hour for pretty much running a store doing conference calls to area managers at peek times which never made sense to me etc.

Wake up mate. You're going from one s*** job to another  - that's a smart move. If want to change jobs, try looking outside retail or train for something that's going to give you a decent living. Most retail jobs are dead end.

Rosst

« Reply #80 on: 09-11-21, 08:51AM »
Went for my interview, was offered the job. Sounds similar to what I do now with the coop, but mire pay plus extra pay on Sundays (although that looks to change as no one else offers that anymore)

I have read alot of bad things, but i can honestly say it sounds better than my current employer so its a no brainer same job more pay. Plus it sounds like tesco never really do 1 on 1 or even deliveroo so winning already.

The pay I was told is 11:16 for the first 3 months then i think he said 11.65 after that. Does that sound familiar. Either way better than 10:45 an hour for pretty much running a store doing conference calls to area managers at peek times which never made sense to me etc.

Wake up mate. You're going from one s*** job to another  - that's a smart move. If want to change jobs, try looking outside retail or train for something that's going to give you a decent living. Most retail jobs are dead end.

With better pay, so id say that's smart. Truth is there's no great jobs out there all I've seen is care work retail or insurance not one is better than the other. Guess hgv drivers are in short supply.

TESLA lol

• Regular Pain
« Reply #81 on: 09-11-21, 10:39AM »
Many joined Tesco because they were one of the best paid retailers and you could get full time hours and hours to work round other commitments. This has all changed in recent years now one of the worst paid and wanting people to work daft hours or no hours. I struggle to see any reason to work for Tesco other that it’s close to your house now. Hospital porters get better wages.

penguin

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #82 on: 09-11-21, 11:06AM »
Far better jobs out there than Tesco, I left back in 2020 and have never looked back, I now work in a factory on the goods in department, started on a production line but a few weeks ago the goods in job came up and it came with a payrise, put my application in on the Thursday started a few days later. Honestly there was a time when shift leader or team leader as it was in express was a decent job, long hours but a real chance of moving up to deputy or into large format all that has all but gone now, unless you are one of the very very lucky ones then you will remain as a shift leader long term, and as for the money its not all that when you consider what the role involves, my advice to anyone who really wants to work in food retail is join the likes of Aldi and Lidl and work your way up as very little chance to do so within Tesco or any of the other big chains like Asda, Sainsburys etc.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #83 on: 09-11-21, 01:10PM »
I'd say as far as Retail superviser jobs go, the 2 best ones at the moment would be at Sainsbury's or M&S, Sainsbury's equivalent of a shift leader is a salaried position and is graded as well, With higher grade CTMs being equivalent of Team Manager at Superstore but on around £30k+ a year.

Department Managers at M&S last I checked are on around £28-£37k a year.

Tesco is not the same as it was 7-10 years ago, it's gone down the pan, I was overlooked for progression past shift leader for years, I got hired on a grad scheme at a big 4 consultancy and am now a VP of a public sector body making over 5x what I did as a Shift Leader. SM at the time said I'm not worth more than £26k a year, just goes to show what do the managers know lol.
« Last Edit: 09-11-21, 01:11PM by NightAndDay »

TESLA lol

• Regular Pain
« Reply #84 on: 09-11-21, 02:14PM »

In the express i was at the SM ended up doing all cleaning because the Assistants told him they were too busy when they got rid of the cleaner.

variablesoup

« Reply #85 on: 09-11-21, 06:29PM »
Is there much difference between Team Support in a large store and a shift leader? Same pay?