Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:43AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 299
Total: 301

Several staff C19 positive (no action)

Started by WinterSilver, 11-01-21, 09:36AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WinterSilver

In my store 8+ staff where tested positive on checkouts and the management is keeping quiet about it no action was taken so far, nothing at all, can I refuse go checkouts? What should I do about it, I’m permanent staff...me and couple colleagues are concerned about this matter

dotnochance

Their doing that in every store, it’s disgusting. My store is getting ripped apart with positive Covid cases and management refuse to even talk about it, they just say no one caught it in Tesco so it’s fine and then walk off, even though the staff off all say they haven’t left the house except for work and caught it or got contact traced. They’ve not even taken extra steps to ensure safety of the store it’s just business as usual. It’s completely criminal

Nomad

Tesco workers in 'absolute fear' as supermarkets hit by multiple covid-19 cases

QuoteTesco workers are living in 'absolute fear' after outbreaks at least two large stores and a depot in Wales.

The supermarket has suffered cases at a store in Bridgend, a Tesco Extra in Cardiff and a depot in Magor, Monmouthshire.

A staff member at the Bridgend store said there had been 40 confirmed cases since Christmas, with 140 workers isolating at one point.

Profit before safety ? every day.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

140 colleagues self isolating is the equivalent of the entirety of 4 high taking Express stores, what sort of staffing levels do these stores have?

dotnochance

Mine is about 300-400 pre Covid no idea with all the temps how many it is now, dotcom store

NightAndDay

That must be some sort of high taking cat 10 Extra store I'm guessing.

dotnochance

Dotcom department is taking more money weekly than we used to do pre Covid in the whole of December
Yesterday we had 700 trollies, pre Covid Sunday used to be erm about 200-300 if this year pay rise negotiations the come up with oh it’s been a hard year here’s 10p extra their f****ng bullshitting Tesco is making a f****ng killing

Himynameus

Tesco workers at Covid-hit store 'devastated' after two colleagues die from virus

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-workers-covid-hit-store-23290302

Stubbo

Quote from: Nomad on 11-01-21, 11:05AM
Tesco workers in 'absolute fear' as supermarkets hit by multiple covid-19 cases

QuoteTesco workers are living in 'absolute fear' after outbreaks at least two large stores and a depot in Wales.

The supermarket has suffered cases at a store in Bridgend, a Tesco Extra in Cardiff and a depot in Magor, Monmouthshire.

A staff member at the Bridgend store said there had been 40 confirmed cases since Christmas, with 140 workers isolating at one point.

Profit before safety ? every day.
Same in our store. Its all being kept quiet,  no managers talking about covid. It's like the secret service!! Far too many people shopping in numbers. I do not feel safe at work, neither Do a lot of my colleagues

sunshineman

Quote from: WinterSilver on 11-01-21, 09:36AM
In my store 8+ staff where tested positive on checkouts and the management is keeping quiet about it no action was taken so far, nothing at all, can I refuse go checkouts? What should I do about it, I’m permanent staff...me and couple colleagues are concerned about this matter
people should name their stores on here so we can stay safe as managers are trying to keep it quiet

T.C.1

Is it time for a two week circuit breaker for all supermarket's????

StinkyPoo

It would be good to shut all shops! Make everything click and collect. Won't happen though as too hard to implement.

spike_pkh

You need to remember that management are not allowed to discuss reasons that staff are absent from work. They are only allowed to confirm they are not at work.

We are in the middle of a major pandemic, just assume that everyone who is not at work has caught the virus. But even so what difference would it make if they told you or not? They arent at work so you have no chance of catching from them, and everyone should be distancing, wearing masks and using hand sanitiser to minimise their own risk.

Nomad

So if two staff work side by side and one goes off with Covid then MM cannot tell the one that is still in work (and possibly others) that they are at considerable risk, even if MM know they live with elderly or vulnerable people ?

I understand some medical conditions are highly personal however in times of a highly contagious, deadly for some, virus common sense should and has to prevail.  I see no harm in "Bob, Jim has gone off with Covid 19 you need to do XYZ."
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Spidercatcher

I agree, Nomad. This is much too serious a situation (as you say, deadly for some) for us not to be told if we're at risk. If supermarket bosses won't address this issue immediately, then the Government should. I know, I know, I know ... some chance  - E.C.O.N.O.M.Y.   

Spidercatcher

grim up north

Quote from: Nomad on 12-01-21, 07:43PM
So if two staff work side by side and one goes off with Covid then MM cannot tell the one that is still in work (and possibly others) that they are at considerable risk, even if MM know they live with elderly or vulnerable people ?

I understand some medical conditions are highly personal however in times of a highly contagious, deadly for some, virus common sense should and has to prevail.  I see no harm in "Bob, Jim has gone off with Covid 19 you need to do XYZ."

MM should tell the other staff member to self isolate. It's happened where I work

Redshoes

Susan goes off work with symptoms. Has a positive test, as part of this the people who have worked with her also need to go off via track and trace. So, Mark who was working next to Susan rings in to say he has been contacted by track and trace and has been told to isolate and asks confirmation of who he was working with. Manager not allowed to tell him. With or without the app on your phone a positive result requires people being contacted. Susan remembers working next to Alice but she does not have contact details for Alice so store rings Alice to inform her she needs to isolate. She does not need to know who she was working with. Alice is symptom free and comes back to work after 10 clear days, so on day 11. If Alice developers symptoms the people she has been in contact with inside and outside of work need to be contacted.
Steven attended a Christmas gathering. In all 25 people attended same gathering and out of these 25 people 12 have now had positive results. Only Steven works for us but Sally and Ian who worked with him were contacted by store and told to isolate but not who they worked with. They are now clear and back in work. There has been no spread of the virus in store and the isolation process was followed. Sally and Ian don't and can't know it was Steven and that he broke the rules with five households attending a Christmas gathering.
By the time the store know that someone has symptoms or has tested positive the NHS has generally done all the track and trace side of things. They have more information but there has to be trust. If Steven had lied about gathering that causes a whole different problem. By the time a duty manager rings someone to tell them they need to isolate they already know.

Swordfish

Two colleagues in a Tesco store in Glasgow (Greenock I think) contracted the virus and both sadly have passed away. We are all at risk unfortunately some more than others. Stay safe people

Nomad

Redshoes WTF,  Why do some people try to make some things so complicated, were talking possible life or death here  >:(

First track and trace does not work on older phones, T&T by other means relies on person(s) telling the truth.  Both these make T&T very unreliable.

I believe we should have the right to be told and MM have the duty to tell if our work partners have had a positive test result and/or if they are off with Covid, nobody is going to organise a mob to stand outside their house shouting 'UNCLEAN'.  Some of company loving MM types need to get a grip on reality  :(

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Redshoes

I'm fully aware that the track and trace app does not work on some phones, mine is one of them. What do you think happens when someone tests positive? Do you really think the NHS just relies on an app that will be unable to contact some people? A positive test requires contacts to be traced.
I know of someone who tested positive over Christmas. The contacted and for those with the app it was generally before the app let them know. There is a place for the app and it has more than served its purpose but we should not rely on just that and we aren't.
The NHS is in crisis. There is now a delay in people getting results from tests. The guidelines on using the app should be followed. The guidelines may change but until they do we should follow them. If more people followed the more general guidelines we would not be in this situation now. There seems to be a lot of finger pointing of others not following but seem to think that the rules are different for them.

Nomad

So if no app then NHS relies on information which may be incorrect, out of date or untruthful.

The discussion was around MM not being allowed to tell work colleagues if a staff member was off with Covid.   All supermarket staff deserve need to know if they have been working with a Covid afflicted colleague.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dairyfresh

From our store manager If a colleague tests positive your manager should be looking at cctv for the last 48 hours following that colleague and seeing who has been in close contact. Close contact being 1 metre for 1 minute or 2 metres for 15 minutes and any colleague identified that has been in close contact within either of these should be sent home to isolate by the store. Hope this helps

alf

They are allowed to tell staff if they have been in contact with an affected colleague, and are supposed to, it's actually how I went off due to covid.

What they are not supposed to do is name the colleague affected, you may not like that, but like where in the other topic you wanted tesco to go against guidance from the NHS, you now want them to deviate from government guidance.

At this point you just like having a moan (granted we all do), by all means hold tesco accountable if they go against guidance, but if your issue is with the guidance itself, well that's a decision level for people above tesco.

Nomad

The post that started this line of debate.
Quote from: spike_pkh on 12-01-21, 05:43PM
You need to remember that management are not allowed to discuss reasons that staff are absent from work. They are only allowed to confirm they are not at work.

Quote from: dairyfresh on 14-01-21, 01:47PM
From our store manager If a colleague tests positive your manager should be looking at cctv for the last 48 hours following that colleague and seeing who has been in close contact. Close contact being 1 metre for 1 minute or 2 metres for 15 minutes and any colleague identified that has been in close contact within either of these should be sent home to isolate by the store. Hope this helps
So your store has CCTV in the toilets where a not inconsiderable amount of staff chatter occurs.

I see no problem with "To all staff, Bob is off with Covid, if you have had close contact we need to know and discuss the situation", you might just save somebodies life, be it staff or customer.  If privacy laws prevent the above announcement then they need amending or suspending in this regard.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk