News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:24PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 307
Total: 311

Sickness policy

Started by Gooner73, 02-03-20, 09:58PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveo79

Thanks, my next shift is tomorrow so even if they hand me a letter then they have to give me 24 hours, my following shift will be Sunday and there won't be a manager there to do it then so we are looking at Monday which will then be 14 days

horatiocain

As you had a wellness meeting you don't need an ARM  because there's no short term sickness  it's all long term.
They probably realised this and will forget to apologise.

It's way out of process anyway so forget about it.

Cinderella

I've been hearing lately (through people going through it, and me enquiring for myself) that if you take unpaid leave instead of sickness, it doesn't count towards your absence levels/is allowed absence. So for instance, if my GP says I should reduce my hours for a certain period, but I take it as unpaid leave rather than with sick pay, there will be no ARM and it won't be counted in my absence levels.

Is this a new policy, or are my store playing with the rules?

I can't help thinking this is Tesco "saying" they are supporting people by allowing leave, but also actively discouraging it by not paying for the leave, if you want to avoid the processes.

horatiocain

It would be time off under the time for you policy, which indeed isn't absence so doesn't count, but you do not get paid at all.
And if it becomes and issue and they want to move you through the capability process they can, although I've only met 1 manager who knew excessive time for you absence was even an issue of capability, all the others have called it conduct.

Redshoes

Unpaid does not count towards absence. If you have holdays left you can use them in this way too. Actually, as we are so close to the end of the holiday year this may probably be encouraged.

Preacherpauly

If i went off sick and when I got back the manager forgot to do welcome back because they were on there own for a night shift and it was a couple of months a go can they use that absence against me or is it out of process?

Hibobhi

5fdp

It can be used against you, you were absent.  They must do the welcome back on your first shift back, you must let the duty mgr know that you are back from an absence.  If you go off again, say  a few weeks later, they can then bring that absence in to play.  However they would ask you about it at the investigation to determine whether or not it should be used.

horatiocain

It would be included in your absence percentage, but cannot create an AR as the RTW wasn't done.

Cinderella

Can a welcome back be issued to a staff member who went home visibly sick after working more than half the shift, but missed no shifts following that?

Redshoes

A welcome back should be issued to anyone who is off. This is to check in with them to see that they are fit to be able to return to work.

lucgeo

It used to be that if you worked more than half your shift, then you were paid for the full shift, and it wouldn't count toward your absence %...perhaps Redshoes could clarify if this is still the case ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

If you become ill at work, then you should speak to your Manager/Team Leader/Duty Manager (or the person covering their role). If you need to go home, and you have more than half a shift left to work, your absence will be recorded and included in your absence levels. If you have less than half your shift left to work, your absence will not be included in your absence levels. In both instances, you will be paid until the end of your shift for that day (colleagues who have moved to the Work & Pay payroll system will only be paid subject to their company sick pay allowance).

Redshoes

When you first come in you should check in with your Manager or the Duty/Store Manager (or Team Support in Convenience) they will check that you are okay and whether you need any support. If you are still suffering with any aspects of illness at this point you should say, even if it's something minor so that they're aware. You should also make us aware of any side effects from prescribed medication. You must not begin work without first checking in with your Manager, Duty/Store Manager (or Team Support in Convenience), either in person or over the phone.
Within the first hour or so your return to work meeting will normally take place. In exceptional circumstances where it is not possible to complete the return to work on your first shift you should be given a date and time as soon as possible.

Cinderella

Are there any links available to where working more than half the shift would be excluded from absence levels? I'm having a nightmare trying to find what I need on our Tesco! I will try again when I'm on a computer, it's not always easy browsing on a phone.

I've been at Tesco close to a decade, and I have never seen anyone issued a welcome back after going home early from a shift. I work at a level where I issue WBs, and I haven't ever been instructed to give one in that instance, only if the person took days off following leaving early, due to the same illness/reason.

FarmerFred

https://colleague-help.ourtesco.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005208086-Sickness-Absence-Full-Policy-and-Supporting-DocumentsPage 7 of the full policy:
Quote7. What should I do if I am ill during work?
If you become ill at work, then you should speak to your
Manager/Team Leader/Duty Manager (or the person
covering their role). If you need to go home, and you have
more than half a shift left to work, your absence will be
recorded and included in your absence levels. If you have
less than half your shift left to work, your absence will not
be included in your absence levels. In both instances, you
will be paid until the end of your shift for that day
(colleagues who have moved to the Work & Pay payroll
system will only be paid subject to their company sick pay
allowance).

In the event that you are taken seriously ill an ambulance
will be called. If it is a minor injury or illness and you're too
ill to travel home by yourself, then your Manager should
make arrangements for someone to accompany you home
or to hospital by taxi.

Cinderella

Thank you so much for the link/info! It is extremely helpful, and differs from what management were telling me

Cinderella

Does anyone know if covid counts towards your percentage now? One person in my store said it does, but on ourtesco it says we should isolate for a minimum of 5, maximum of 10 days. So if tesco require isolation, surely it shouldn't be counted? And does anyone know the circumstances where we can take the ten days rather than five?

I've tested positive, feel like c**p with light sensitivity, wheezing, falling asleep throughout the day and still testing positive today. I don't feel able to work tomorrow, but completely unsure what the policies are, and if it counts towards the absence percentage. Calling, texting and emailing the store has just confirmed that no one seems to know! I really don't want to be in trouble, but I don't want to make myself worse by pushing myself too soon.

Information would be very much appreciated!

Hibobhi

What it says on ourTesco is the only thing that counts, what ever it says at the time of sickness stands, don't believe whatever s*** your managers are telling! their the lest knowledgeable people in stores.

madness

Quote from: Cinderella on 28-04-22, 11:31AM
Does anyone know if covid counts towards your percentage now? One person in my store said it does, but on ourtesco it says we should isolate for a minimum of 5, maximum of 10 days. So if tesco require isolation, surely it shouldn't be counted? And does anyone know the circumstances where we can take the ten days rather than five?

I've tested positive, feel like c**p with light sensitivity, wheezing, falling asleep throughout the day and still testing positive today. I don't feel able to work tomorrow, but completely unsure what the policies are, and if it counts towards the absence percentage. Calling, texting and emailing the store has just confirmed that no one seems to know! I really don't want to be in trouble, but I don't want to make myself worse by pushing myself too soon.

Information would be very much appreciated!

If you are fully jabbed it doesnt count.  If you arnt jabbed then you chose to not take something that may have helped your attendance so it counts as normal sickness and percentage. Regardless of what you think of vaccines etc this is the line the company is using.

Also funny how folks go away on holiday (no one tests on holiday for fear of ruining it) but the moment they get home they start testing rigorously...  Seen it a few times in our store.

Hibobhi

That's completely not true, you sound like a manager? If u test positive for covid u still isolate and your paid from day 1 and it's still not counted as part of absence

biggerpicture

The policy has been updated today. All details on Our Tesco

Hibobhi

I mean yeah it was updated today but nothings changed as far as I see

Ibanez

From 30th april (tommorow) covid absences are treated as normal absences and followed using the usual absence policy.

Hibobhi

Yeah just read it, changed yesterday. Oh Well guess I'm going to get covid now managed to avoid it so far

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk