News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:28PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 279
Total: 282

Sickness policy

Started by Gooner73, 02-03-20, 09:58PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5fdp

I'm sorry to say  that covid and its consequences are just the same as if you had broke your leg and had run out of benefits. Try and remember that company sick pay is a benefit not a right. As for the person with food poisoning,  have you sent away a sample to the doctors,  have you phoned the doctors. Once you get the results back then you can say you have had food poisoning.  Otherwise at the moment you are off with a sore stomach.

Welshie

Quote from: Efata85 on 04-06-21, 05:02PM
Hi can someone help pls I been off since 5.1 because of Covid and still off as I have blood clots they said I have no sick pay left even they used all my holidays
I have nothing left now and still I am not in stage to return I feet that I been punished just because I got Covid pls anyone know what to do thx

If you're out of statutory sick pay you should have been sent a ssp1 form from head office . You use the information on this to apply for ESA which is usually processed very quickly . I think its slightly more than ssp

horatiocain

Have the company stopped paying all covid related sickness now?

The reason is because the government are funding all covid related sick pay via extreme tax relief so it doesn't cost Tesco anything and that is still happening.

Cinderella

I've been off work for a few days, as I was being tested for a potentially life threatening condition. I was on shift when I received a call telling me to go to hospital immediately for further testing. They saw the state it put me in - it's been extremely stressful. In that time I have been contacted by staff who have been told the very private details of what symptom caused me to need testing (I am making a formal complaint about that), but I have also been contacted constantly telling me to come back. They seriously underestimate how much stress I'm under!

I've now come down with cold/flu symptoms so will go back as soon as I get the results of my Covid test. The other results turned out okay, I'm not in a life threatening situation.

My question is - how much of this will I have to prove to them? Do I need to contact doctors asking for letters to confirm what I've been getting tested for? I feel like I've had no understanding or support at all.

lucgeo

You don't need to prove to them what you've been getting tested for, as the rest of the workforce already know you were summoned for tests by the hospital! Until your complaint has been heard and resolved, the hospital tests and symptoms should be put aside!

Once you get back your Covid test results, and return to work, you should make it clear that, due to your formal complaint, your symptoms and tests are not up for discussion at this time, owing to the ongoing formal complaint policy procedures!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Cinderella

I haven't yet started the complaint as I haven't been there, so I will have to do a welcome back when I do go in. (Still waiting on the Covid result though) I don't feel well enough to go back, but I feel pressured to and I know there will be ARM. I had a phone call a few days ago telling me what my absence levels are - I hadn't yet been given the all clear so absence levels were the furthest thing on my mind! The way they have acted throughout all of this has just made the stress of the situation a lot worse. I feel like everyone is aware of my incredibly private symptoms and it's making me dread going back at all

Redshoes

Ask for an OH referral. It's either a Dr or  nurse you speak to. Sometimes you speak to a nurse first who raises it up to a Dr. Whilst waiting for the app and then the recommendations it takes a bit of the pressure off. From store side it, there is not much to do other than wait for recommendations. So this eases things for you. You don't need to talk to those in store about your most private info, as in your medical condition. You talk to someone who understands it and you can keep it confidential. If you want to you can refuse to let the store know the recommendations but the best thing is to restrict it. You can restrict it to just the person who does the referral, this should be senior team, in my store it's the store manager. Some people have requested whole management team to know outcome and others restrict to own manager and person who has referred. They can't talk about condition but they will have to talk about the recommendations as it may be things you can't do.
The service is very quick now, much better than it was and you generally get an app within a couple of weeks and the recommendations a week or so later, depending on how complex the situation is. You are not restricted to one app. I have known of one colleague with at least three.
The recommendations don't tend to be black and white but as we are a large company we are expected to be able to comply. It may say things like " will continue to have health issues" so absence percentage is lifted. It may say "no lifting for prolonged periods", so may be offered a move off shop floor. I have known of colleagues refuse recommendations, and they can do this. This sometimes happens if a job move is suggested. People sometimes just don't want to move roles.

Cinderella

I am at the end of my tether with Tesco. It's very rare that they follow any advice about my health conditions - even after a OH report supported what I say. They are now making me (not others) change shifts to work my days off - even when I have appointments booked. I've had to cancel three appointments! Other staff are allowed paid leave to attend appointments on their work days. The union have said that if I have an appointment I shouldn't be made to cancel it, but I'm still not being helped. On one shift I got so stressed that I had to walk off and hide in the back to cry, and today I left work so stressed that I was crying on the way home. I'm now up at almost 3am with everything spinning in my head. There's more, but I can't put it all here. The stress caused is getting so bad that after one particular shift I forgot to buy any groceries and went home to no food, I'm not sleeping and beginning to neglect my personal responsibilities because all my energy is being directed towards trying to cope with all this. I don't understand why Tesco won't work with individuals to ensure they are healthy enough to give their best, and instead push them to the point they have no choice but to go off sick

NightAndDay

All of this should be documented in a grievance, Tesco has a legal responsibility for duty of care to its employees, being made to cancel appointments would be a breach of that responsibility. The next time it happens, write out a formal grievance, make sure a duplicate is made and hand it in.

The more documentation you can rack up of these types of incidents, along with the assistance of ACAS, the stronger your case will be to claim unfair/constructive dismissal and/or disability discrimination against them.

Batmanjo

Quote from: Redshoes on 30-10-21, 09:40AM
Ask for an OH referral. It's either a Dr or  nurse you speak to. Sometimes you speak to a nurse first who raises it up to a Dr. Whilst waiting for the app and then the recommendations it takes a bit of the pressure off. From store side it, there is not much to do other than wait for recommendations. So this eases things for you. You don't need to talk to those in store about your most private info, as in your medical condition. You talk to someone who understands it and you can keep it confidential. If you want to you can refuse to let the store know the recommendations but the best thing is to restrict it. You can restrict it to just the person who does the referral, this should be senior team, in my store it's the store manager. Some people have requested whole management team to know outcome and others restrict to own manager and person who has referred. They can't talk about condition but they will have to talk about the recommendations as it may be things you can't do.
The service is very quick now, much better than it was and you generally get an app within a couple of weeks and the recommendations a week or so later, depending on how complex the situation is. You are not restricted to one app. I have known of one colleague with at least three.
The recommendations don't tend to be black and white but as we are a large company we are expected to be able to comply. It may say things like " will continue to have health issues" so absence percentage is lifted. It may say "no lifting for prolonged periods", so may be offered a move off shop floor. I have known of colleagues refuse recommendations, and they can do this. This sometimes happens if a job move is suggested. People sometimes just don't want to move roles.

When you call OH it is not a Doctor or Nurse that you speak to it is usually someone with very little medical back ground, I have had OH and the 1st question I asked was what medical experience and qualifications do you have, answer was none but it gets the attention of a Doctor or Nurse when I have collated your information together. They do ask some unusual questions some of which are asked on behalf of the management, I asked to know which specific questions the management were asking for my OH and when I received my recommendations I highlighted their questions and gave them a copy. The one thing I would recommend is not to take this call from OH on the company phone or property as these calls are recorded Never trust the management !! 

RocketRonnie100

So you're just speaking to a call handler and not an actual trained GP?!

lucgeo

1. They can't MAKE you change your contracted days off...end of! You state you've made arrangements, no need to divulge further than that, to anyone!
2.  People are only paid for appointments where a procedure is operated...e.g. hospital, dental procedure... any recovery days after, recommend by the hospital for post op should be paid!
3.  Any routine appointments, self requested, should be made in your own time where possible, otherwise a request of paying time back, shift swap, holiday or unpaid should be considered.
4.  Follow up hospital appointments, when the date/ time is set by the hospital, is again, pay back, shift swap, unpaid or holiday.

You can grievance under T&C's but this is heard in store. I would include the term "bullying inciting health and mental issues"  in any grievance and hand to the area P.P. it's no always Tesco that won't work to ensure colleagues health and well-being, a lot of the time, it's the managers who have an axe to grind!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Batmanjo

Quote from: RocketRonnie100 on 10-11-21, 01:09PM
So you're just speaking to a call handler and not an actual trained GP?!

That's correct not a GP. probably failed Librarians  ;D ;D ;D

Redshoes

We have moved to a new company. Referrals are quicker and better. You are told who you will be speaking to in advance and it is a nurse or a dr, I have seen this as have had to contact colleagues to ensure they have seen the email and are aware of date and time of appointment and who it is with. When referral is made a colleagues email and phone number are given and this is the number that is used for the call. If call is made during somebody's shift we have to provide a quiet private room. As most referrals are for people off this is generally not needed.

madness

Quote from: 5fdp on 04-06-21, 06:25PM
I'm sorry to say  that covid and its consequences are just the same as if you had broke your leg and had run out of benefits. Try and remember that company sick pay is a benefit not a right. As for the person with food poisoning,  have you sent away a sample to the doctors,  have you phoned the doctors. Once you get the results back then you can say you have had food poisoning.  Otherwise at the moment you are off with a sore stomach.

Ahhh good old food poisoning..   code for "I was out on the p**s last night"

madness

Quote from: BoyBlunder on 25-05-21, 06:07AM
I think this is the relevant place, I didn't want to just make a new topic and flood the forums. Sorry if it isn't!

I just rang in sick to work with food poisoning, and my manager made the comment of "well you've had food poisoning before, haven't you?" I've been told by family and friends that he shouldn't be making any comment like that as it's apparently a way to try and guilt me into working while ill or alternatively implying I'm not being truthful (which makes me laugh that somebody thinks I'd actually rather be horrendously ill than work). Is this true, or is this just my support circle being full of BS and bias? I know it's not end of the world if true and I probably couldn't act on it anyway, I'm just curious as to if management are allowed to make comments about your sickness when you are calling the absence line to notify them that you're too ill to work.

How long have you been with the company and what do you think you ate that caused it?

NightAndDay

Quote from: madness on 12-11-21, 07:37PM
I think this is the relevant place, I didn't want to just make a new topic and flood the forums. Sorry if it isn't!

I just rang in sick to work with food poisoning, and my manager made the comment of "well you've had food poisoning before, haven't you?" I've been told by family and friends that he shouldn't be making any comment like that as it's apparently a way to try and guilt me into working while ill or alternatively implying I'm not being truthful (which makes me laugh that somebody thinks I'd actually rather be horrendously ill than work). Is this true, or is this just my support circle being full of BS and bias? I know it's not end of the world if true and I probably couldn't act on it anyway, I'm just curious as to if management are allowed to make comments about your sickness when you are calling the absence line to notify them that you're too ill to work.

How long have you been with the company and what do you think you ate that caused it?

There's very clear guidelines surrounding baking and cooking food if you had food poisoning. Store Managers are not in a position to give medical evaluations, heck it's not far off the truth that most of them don't have a degree and ended up in the job by languishing on the dole for 15 years and having Frank Gallagheresk  mateyboy mickey mouse relationships with other talentless wonder league SMs to be in the position they're in.

tdlr, the SM doesn't have a medical degree, the GP or Doctor is paid infinitely more to give a professional diagnosis to which a judge will scrutinise silly the SM/PM if it ever came into question.

Redshoes

In your short experience in the small store format that you left a long time ago I think sweeping statements like this are unhelpful.
I have known loads of managers come up through the ranks. I have also know loads who have joined the company with a degree and straight into a managers role. Those with degrees tend to go on and up through the ranks quickly and become store managers at a young age.
As for the main part of the post. Comments should be relevant and supportive if needed. Someone who has a higher sick record may be challenged a bit more than someone who is never off. As we don't know the background it is hard to comment other than to say that once you have suffered food poisoning you are more prone to picking it up again, if only for a time.
All colleagues and managers feel frustrations with those who have a high sick level, if not really needed. I'm not saying that this person does have a high record but colleagues complain and bitch about fellow workers with a high sick record. Fellow workers ask why they are off "this time" but it's personal and private and they have no right in knowing. This causes frustration and those with genuine reasons are mixed in with those that play the system.

RocketRonnie100

@nightandday that really made me chuckle.  :D :D :D

NightAndDay

Quote from: Redshoes on 13-11-21, 09:25AM
In your short experience in the small store format that you left a long time ago I think sweeping statements like this are unhelpful.
I have known loads of managers come up through the ranks. I have also know loads who have joined the company with a degree and straight into a managers role. Those with degrees tend to go on and up through the ranks quickly and become store managers at a young age.
As for the main part of the post. Comments should be relevant and supportive if needed. Someone who has a higher sick record may be challenged a bit more than someone who is never off. As we don't know the background it is hard to comment other than to say that once you have suffered food poisoning you are more prone to picking it up again, if only for a time.
All colleagues and managers feel frustrations with those who have a high sick level, if not really needed. I'm not saying that this person does have a high record but colleagues complain and bitch about fellow workers with a high sick record. Fellow workers ask why they are off "this time" but it's personal and private and they have no right in knowing. This causes frustration and those with genuine reasons are mixed in with those that play the system.

6 years Isn't a short experience by any measure.

My observation of the archetypal cowboy manager rings true for many. If a CA has a high rate of sickness, then they would be managed accordingly via the SYA route or long term sickness policies. Guilting them to come in, especially if they're a baker is not only against food hygiene policies but is also very unethical. If they're pulling a fast one, they'll be managed for it by the process.

The best interaction an SM I live with had with what is or was now the SM of Kensington SS is that he asked him years ago "What will the customer think if they see a wet floor sign at the entrance of the store" (my flatmate was an SL of the Express this happened in at the time). To which he replied"errmm... that the floor's wet???". The SM then said to him "It's not right for the customer though is it, let's get that moved, chop chop."

madness

Quote from: NightAndDay on 12-11-21, 11:05PM
Quote from: madness on 12-11-21, 07:37PM

There's very clear guidelines surrounding baking and cooking food if you had food poisoning. Store Managers are not in a position to give medical evaluations, heck it's not far off the truth that most of them don't have a degree and ended up in the job by languishing on the dole for 15 years and having Frank Gallagheresk  mateyboy mickey mouse relationships with other talentless wonder league SMs to be in the position they're in.

tdlr, the SM doesn't have a medical degree, the GP or Doctor is paid infinitely more to give a professional diagnosis to which a judge will scrutinise silly the SM/PM if it ever came into question.

Of the 30-40 "food poisoning" occasions of sickness i know of from staff its funny how NONE have ever been to a doctor about it.   Also actual food poisoning is very fast to occur and recover from.

oldfashionedplayer

then you'd also know it depends on the food you eat, your immune system and other factors in regards to it, but usually most food poisoning occurs after 24 hours, with the exception of shellfish / rice which usually acts quicker and can be more serious, timeframe for food poisoning to kick in varies between 30 mins and 2 days for reference :)

Though most food poisoning is supposed to be treated at home, it's only certain criteria that mean you should see a doctor / go to hospital about it - example being pregnant, or not able to keep even fluid down....

So those 30-40 staff / occasions are probably saving NHS time / freeing up space by treating themselves at home if they do indeed have it, if they don't then they don't, it could just be a bug / virus but they are at the very least in this current stage protecting others by staying off if they indeed have a bug, virus or covid or something... instead of coming in and possibly causing more absences...

Dunno which you prefer, but I'd rather take the 1 staff off than a handful off due to it.

Redshoes

Quote from: NightAndDay on 13-11-21, 06:49PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 13-11-21, 09:25AM

6 years Isn't a short experience by any measure.

My observation of the archetypal cowboy manager rings true for many. If a CA has a high rate of sickness, then they would be managed accordingly via the SYA route or long term sickness policies. Guilting them to come in, especially if they're a baker is not only against food hygiene policies but is also very unethical. If they're pulling a fast one, they'll be managed for it by the process.

The best interaction an SM I live with had with what is or was now the SM of Kensington SS is that he asked him years ago "What will the customer think if they see a wet floor sign at the entrance of the store" (my flatmate was an SL of the Express this happened in at the time). To which he replied"errmm... that the floor's wet???". The SM then said to him "It's not right for the customer though is it, let's get that moved, chop chop."

At 30 years in I don't feel I can comment on experience in the small store formats as I have had little experience, only given support at time but not employed in one. I do however feel more confident in commenting on what I have seen and experienced in the large store formats.
Managing long term sick takes a long time. There is a process to follow and it's all behind the scenes so colleagues feel frustrated as they see it as not being managed as they don't know what is being done.
Sporadic illness can also be an issue. For those who do take time off like this those who work with them know the signs and when the call comes it's of no surprise to anyone.
Everyone is subject to being genuinely ill. It's just hard to trust what some people say. It can be a matter of crying wolf with some though. It does not really matter if it's food poisoning or a tummy bug, a full diagnosis is not expected. Being unfit for work is what it's all about. If it is food poisoning however, it should be reported if it was due to food you have bought, but only to us if it was down to food bought from us.
There is still a section on the return to work forms for open food handlers. These forms have been updated a lot in the past few years and we are using a brand new one now.

Cinderella

Is it correct that your company sick pay resets on the anniversary of your join date? I was off for medical testing for a few days recently, less than a week but enough that I would have fallen into having some days as paid sick leave. When I asked about the SSP and why leaving early for the test after working three quarters of my shift was deducted, the reply was that I have run out of sick pay. But they also told me that sick pay resets on your joining anniversary. I haven't been off sick since early this year, and my join date was in the summer, so I'm just wondering which of the two conflicting statements I've been offered are correct?

BUY TESLA STOCK

Living wage has increased again leaving Tesco staff screwed again with a pittance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk