News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-03-24, 10:08AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 37,969
  • Total Topics: 622
  • Online today: 117
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 87
Total: 91

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangutan

With the coronavirus spreading to Italy (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51602007) 2 regions are under quarantine. Does anyone know what Tesco's policy is if it spreads to the UK? Being around the public for an entire shift is potentially a very risky situation.

Looking at acas' guidelines (https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus) it looks like we will be expected to come in to work and put ourselves at risk or be fired.

forrestgimp

Have a day off get the back to work when you come back, go over the review level get your AI on a final for attendace you lose your job.

Tescos mantra is or should be 'Profits before People'

Hammer10

What happens if someone does go into one of our shops with it and is found to have it later .

Bacons

I liked the email they sent a while back.

Monitoring the situation! Wow that's good to know thanks tesco I feel safe now I know that.

lucgeo

They're probably ordering face masks, wipes and gloves to all the heirachy first, the lowly CA's will get the packaging from them, to make one at home with some sticky back biodegradable plastic and a pen  :(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

penguin

Tesco response to coronavirus will be like any other emergency, stores will remain open at all cost.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

King1999

They’re not going to suddenly start giving a s*** about us are they.😷.

madness

So what would you like to see happen. Every store and distribution centre shut. All staff on full pay for 3 months and head down to the Winchester and wait for this all to blow over?

King1999

Sounds like a plan 😉....don’t forget the Cornettos.

VladPutin

Quote from: madness on 24-02-20, 05:30PM
So what would you like to see happen. Every store and distribution centre shut. All staff on full pay for 3 months and head down to the Winchester and wait for this all to blow over?

Face masks for all staff would be a start. But the s*** on the board wouldn't want to upset the customers. 8-)

lucgeo

Well they could make an effort to jet clean all the trollies, like they declare they do on a regular basis?? In fact can't say I've ever seen any supermarket jet clean their trollies, difficult for them to say they do when they're open 7 days a week. There should be a cleaning rota on display, stating how many times a month they have been cleaned.

Backdoorhoe

Probably do nothing as they don’t care about there CA am sure they will sort out the bosses first like always.

CalvinWat

What Does A Dental Implant Usually Cost?

[admin]Welcome to VLH, however this is the "Pandemics & Tesco's policy" topic. Please look for more appropriate topic your question or become a VLH Supporter.[/admin]

extrastore

Prisons in Shandong are reported as being infected with covid-19, Shandong is the epicentre of our supply of garlic and ginger. China uses prisoners to prepare garlic and ginger before shipping to Tesco.
I changed boxxes of loose garlic and ginger last weeken. I have been off sick all week with flu symptoms..
Coincidence?

Swarovski

Quote from: Orangutan on 24-02-20, 09:51AM
With the coronavirus spreading to Italy (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51602007) 2 regions are under quarantine. Does anyone know what Tesco's policy is if it spreads to the UK? Being around the public for an entire shift is potentially a very risky situation.

Looking at acas' guidelines (https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus) it looks like we will be expected to come in to work and put ourselves at risk or be fired.

We have a colleague who’s been advised to isolate following doctors advice. He felt well and wanted to go to work as could not afford to have the time off without pay. Tesco are paying him whilst in isolation. Fact.

lucgeo

Quote from: Swarovski on 27-02-20, 09:00AM
Quote from: Orangutan on 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Looking at acas' guidelines (https://www.acas. org.uk/coronavirus) it looks like we will be expected to come in to work and put ourselves at risk or be fired.

We have a colleague who’s been advised to isolate following doctors advice. He felt well and wanted to go to work as could not afford to have the time off without pay. Tesco are paying him whilst in isolation. Fact.

Oh I can just see the usual skivers at my old store preparing themselves for this...sniff sniff...feel unwell...doctor appointment...two weeks off with pay...catch up with the decorating and spring cleaning at home...WAHAY  :-X

penguin

Quote from: lucgeo on 25-02-20, 08:13AM
Well they could make an effort to jet clean all the trollies, like they declare they do on a regular basis?? In fact can't say I've ever seen any supermarket jet clean their trollies, difficult for them to say they do when they're open 7 days a week. There should be a cleaning rota on display, stating how many times a month they have been cleaned.

Only time I have ever known the trolleys to be cleaned in our store was when one of the top bosses was due to visit, and that was back in 2018.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

madness

Quote from: extrastore on 27-02-20, 08:54AM
Prisons in Shandong are reported as being infected with covid-19, Shandong is the epicentre of our supply of garlic and ginger. China uses prisoners to prepare garlic and ginger before shipping to Tesco.
I changed boxxes of loose garlic and ginger last weeken. I have been off sick all week with flu symptoms..
Coincidence?
If this isn't a troll post have you contacted 111 and told them about it?
Can the virus spread that way?

NightAndDay

This sounds like it's also against Tescos anti-slavery statement in the supply chain, if you have further proof, media outlets would pay handsomely for such information.

RMLT89

Quote from: madness on 27-02-20, 01:00PM
Coincidence?
If this isn't a troll post have you contacted 111 and told them about it?
Can the virus spread that way?

There's no research I can find yet but if it's like SARS or MERS then it could last up to 9 days on surfaces such as glass / metal.  I think influenza is quoted as lasting around 48hrs in optimum conditions.

coffee_tea

Coincidence?

Seriously ring 111 if you aren’t taking the p***.

Mark calloway

Its all scaremongering. Every darn year they report on another virus that's going to kill usall.

VladPutin

The precautions CA's can take are highly limited. Personally, I'd ban all Asians, Italians and anyone with a mild cough from our stores until the crisis has passed. But apparently, that would be, "racist".

Bloody political correctness... 8-)

So all we can really do is wash our hands frequently and wear our gloves at all times on the shop floor.

Redshoes

We should not eat sweets or chew gum on shop floor but we do. Pointless to be wearing gloves if you then chew as you work. It's hard not to touch face etc. As stated above, wear gloves and wash hands but then be aware of what you are touching. I am not an expert but I don't think virus spread by touch to hands, it's what happens after you touch. It's if you then touch your face. We all need to build up some immunity and going ultra safe will not help with this but I suspect we are more at risk from someone coughing and sneezing near us than by touch, we just can't do much to control that. Also, if someone infected has handled something I don't think that means it's a permanent risk. Bugs only live for so long and it's dependant on what type of surface and environment.

londoner83

Sad as it is think there is little we can do to prevent disease spreading. Its obvious people's basic hygiene leaves a lot to be desired.....why else would we now have a run on soap.

Do think the only positive to come from this virus is customers are becoming more aware of shabby contract cleaning, questioning how often trollies and baskets are deep cleaned etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk