News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-03-24, 09:31AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 37,969
  • Total Topics: 622
  • Online today: 117
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 81
Total: 82

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

The original News articles topic has been deleted as last post was in March 2018 and is therefore old news .

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tesco-ireland-create-24-jobs-with-opening-of-150th-store-in-malahide-36725162.html
"The Malahide Express team will offer customers an extensive range of the best Irish produce, most of which has been sourced locally in North County Dublin," he said.

I started this new thread with this news item as I am always reminded that the word "sourced" does not mean 'grown/made', the item(s) could be grown/manufactured anywhere, sourced means 'purchased from'.  It always makes me remember the 'word trickery' companies use on staff and customers.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

FatFraz

Nomad

@Weed, the article is concerned with the US "Toys R Us" stores, maybe premature to lump the UK into the mix.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Welshie

In Malahide I imagine it will be mostly Tesco finest sourced locally , it's a very upmarket area unless it's changed greatly since I was last there

Crocodile Dundee Centre

Controlled blast after package found in Dundee call centre

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-43641159

dont call us we'll call you  ;D ;D ;D

mexicopete

@Crocodile Dundee Centre...... was it tickin :question: :question: I meant chicken. :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
The worlds me lobster

Equalizer87

Profits at the cost of staff pay and benefits, big pat on the back.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

cosmosmallpiece

Equalizer 87 I total agree it makes my blood boil. Never any mention of the money the staff are losing  >:(

notsofunny

Great news , and more to come I hope , :)

Nomad

It reminds me of the number of times you hear about a patient rallying just before the end.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

notsofunny

and in this case the end has been called a few times , but its getting stronger  ;D

Rad

We've not hit our profit targets so more cuts likely. 

Rad

That said, figures are looking much better so the future looks good for share price, bonuses etc.  And less need to pay cuts in the longer term future.

lardyman

Yet again it's all about the great Dave and his turn around plan which is to  take all the staff double time for Sundays and Bank Holidays time and a half overtime,final salary pension  and make thousands of people redundant no staff
left on the shopfloor  then we see where the rise in profits come from

lordadmiral

Numbers are looking good but unfortunately its due price increases and cuts.
I doubt we will see more staf instore and no more cuts in pay n employment.
Tesco own 3,7k stores in UK. 10h less a day in each one gives company hundrets of millions savings a year.

JL

While the profit is announced warehouses will be full of stock and shelfs in store lying empty. As people say it's all dependant on cuts and once they can make no more will be when the truth comes out.

lordadmiral

I looked at some figures and it looks like average number of staff per store gone down by nearly 30 people within last 10 years. It doesnt say anything about hours as less  staff can be partially substituted by overtime hours. But fact remains that company is operating on bare minimum.
I do have strange feeling that it will be like that forever. Low morale, people overworked etc.

Equalizer87

Just like an elastic band, stretch and stretch, one day it will snap.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

JL

It has snapped. All the TMs are snapping the fingers so fast everything's getting half arsed.

OvaSees

Inflation and cuts-driven profits are unsustainable, but that won't matter to Dave and Alan who will jump ship as soon as they see this coming.

notsofunny

Quote from: lordadmiral on 11-04-18, 08:37PM
I looked at some figures and it looks like average number of staff per store gone down by nearly 30 people within last 10 years. It doesnt say anything about hours as less  staff can be partially substituted by overtime hours. But fact remains that company is operating on bare minimum.
I do have strange feeling that it will be like that forever. Low morale, people overworked etc.

Yet the work gets done , availability is very good ,Sales over the last 2/3 years are up , Profits are up ,

So is it that Company is operating at a bare minimum ? or has it been over staffed over the years ???,,
In Express I have never seen it so good ,
And as a shopper I am more than happy with my local main stores both with stock levels and with the time i spend geting out

notsofunny

Quote from: OvaSees on 12-04-18, 12:48PM
Inflation and cuts-driven profits are unsustainable, but that won't matter to Dave and Alan who will jump ship as soon as they see this coming.

So are you saying sales will drop ? and we will have no more cuts ?  As to Inflation is that comeing to a stop as well ? as to Dave  how long was he at the last company he worked for ?

yelsel

Notsofunny
Are you a manager on HAPPY pills  8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk