News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 03:47PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Usdaw v Unite

Started by Loki, 25-11-15, 08:28AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pir8

Quote from: optout on 24-11-18, 09:05PM
@Bootdaroff
"The folk who run the unions are hopeless. If every paying member went to the hierarchy and said we are going on strike they would do nothing and try and calm everybody down."Absolutely agree :thumbup:
They are paid 'leadership' money, to 'lead'. They should be responding on behalf of their membership when they (the usdaw hierarchy) are aware of wrongdoing or unfairness, NOT just waiting for their members to tell them things are wrong. They should be empowering their members with a proactive approach.

Point to note - Gone are the days when you felt s*** on and decided to strike on a whim. You can all thank Maggie Thatcher for that change, following on from the Miners Strike, just going on strike was vetoed. Nowadays to strike legally there are lot of hoops to jump through. Firstly a ballot to vote out as an example a pay increase, that isn't enough. (when is it enough) Then when that comes back as voted out. Management can then re-negotiate. Still no further forward and then the Union have to postal vote the members, that comes back as members wanting to strike. The Union have to notify the company that the majority want to strike and the union give a date for the strike to commence. The reason this all takes time is because the law says you must allow the company to arrange a contingency. Striking is stacked in a company's favour from day one. Example, you and your colleagues decide enough is enough for something that Management have done. You decide to strike. You basically dismiss yourselves because you will have broken your contract T&C's. You haven't gone through the many hoops. Another point to note is ACAS must be consulted as well and that can take its time too.

crabbit

Awrite trigger u been sleeping for years ?
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

trigger

still here mate
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

trigger

piri i disagree with how come dc got a 6 percent payrise and where going for 10 this year as the nrs said thay backed down
VOTE UKIP.

trigger

go on the labour supporter ;D ;D ;D
VOTE UKIP.

tenbob

Quote from: Pir8 on 10-05-22, 10:28AMI am a Unite the Union member, I work in a DC. Personally I do not believe that Unite are any better than any other union really. The strength of the union is in the members. Voted in stewards are the backbone of your site union. If they are poorly trained, in management's pocket or just wanted the job as an easy get out to work then any members will have serious issues. Moral of this post is don't just have any worker as a steward you need stewards who will fight, are actually interested in getting the best for everyone, not just themselves.
In our depot you never see a rep from one week to the next they are always on union business as it's so put. It's just an excuse to do less work or get an easier job for them unfortunately for their members. Unite reps are only doing it for one reason in my opinion. Themselves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk