News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:10PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 287
Total: 291

bereavement

Started by poppy1, 07-11-15, 10:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicolerebecca19

Evening all,

My Nan recently passed away and I had 4 days off in total (2 each week as I only work 2 days) which included time off for her funeral. I checked my payslip and I'm only getting paid for 1 day? I have contacted my manager who said I am only entitled to 1 day leave? Is this correct as I was made to think it was 5 days for some reason? Thanks

lucgeo

Firstly I'm sorry for the loss of your Nan :(

Always an emotional issue this one, the rule of thumb, as I always understood it, bereavement leave was one week, pro rata.
So on a 2 day week, it would be 2 day paid bereavement, regardless if the funeral was one of your shift days or not!
Paid bereavement leave can be extended, but only at the discretion of the PP.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nicolerebecca19

Thank you for the reply.

I work a Monday and Tuesday and they have paid me my Tuesday shift (4.5 hours)
I asked my manager and they said I am only entitled to the one day? Do you suggest contacting Usdaw regarding this since they are not being much help to me?

King1999

Your manager should have discussed all options with you and should always put your well-being first,sounds a very compassionate soul.The policy is on ourtesco help section if you want to check it,your manager needs to do the same by the sound of it.Sorry for your loss I've recently been through this and couldn't fault my manager......and that's a first.

chris9997

Sorry for your loss, These days it amazes me why stores do
not follow the rules the rules on our tesco are there for a reason that there is uniformity and fairness throughout the company.

lucgeo

@nicolerebecca19

If you're a union member, then by all means ask your rep to assist you with this, as usually an interjection from a rep will sort it out with the wages clerk, (if you still have one?) more quickly, then you arguing the toss with a manager!

forrestgimp

Quote from: chris9997 on 15-10-21, 02:49AM
Sorry for your loss, These days it amazes me why stores do
not follow the rules the rules on our tesco are there for a reason that there is uniformity and fairness throughout the company.

Because they employ egotistical oddities as section managers who take great delight in inflicting as much emotional pain on people as they can get away with. This used to be negated by personnel managers who told them the actual policy now they have gone they make it up as they go along. 

horatiocain

It's a minimum of 1 week paid leave, 2 if it were a parent.
However they can authorise more if they want to.

BUY TESLA STOCK

King1999

Not up to them it's about you,just go off sick.Joke of a place.

General Thorn

When my mother died a few months ago I was given 5 days paid (I work 5 days) and I took an extra week unpaid as I was given the choice of unpaid or using up holidays.

5fdp

Please just read the policies. Everything is in there.

forrestgimp

The problem with that is if you ask the average GA they will have no clue where to find them, not their fault its designed to be obscure.

King1999

Totally agree how unaccessible it is,just keeping the sense of your just a number and we will treat you as we please.Company and store level.

penguin

Nothing changes in this company does it, about five years ago a bloke in our store lost his Grandad, he found out during the shift, response from duty was "are you going to finish your shift as we are already thin on the ground today" not even sorry or are you alright etc, and yes he did go home to be with his family.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Biscuit tin

I'd love to know when the week off for losing grandparents was introduced. Its going back a few years but I only ever received a day off for the funeral of each of mine.
Now I know people who banked a few days from their leave to use it a few months later for ash scattering, conveniently the same time they'd previously had holiday leave refused for.

BadHairDay

I have lost my mother a few days ago and have been signed off sick by my doctor. Can they use this type of absence as part of a disaplinary?

forrestgimp

They can but you would hope it would be part of future absences rather than this one.

lucgeo

@BadHairDay

Please accept my condolences, forget Tesco, just concentrate on your own grieving and loss at this sad time.

A lot of managers will take this sickness into consideration, if it exceeds your sickness %...unfortunately a small minority may not!
A disciplinary should only be a next step in absences of a regular reason. A disciplinary based solely on an absence due to bereavement, should be treated with kid gloves, and rather support than discipline.

Your PP can authorise a longer paid absence at times, due to the individual circumstances, but nonetheless, your contracted week, is a paid bereavement absence ( to include funeral date)  and not calculated in the absence %.

Paulieb90

Can a manager make the decision not to pay me prior to the welcome back meeting? I thought they were supposed to discuss the options with me first regarding paying time back or taking as holiday etc? I've checked my payslip this morning and I've only been paid for one day out of the two days that I had for bereavement (I work two days a week so this was the equivalent of one week)
After I was off for two days with bereavement I was immediately then off for another four days due to catching Covid, When I returned to work I only had a welcome back meeting for the Covid absence and not for the bereavement so the option of taking the other day as unpaid was not ever discussed with me. I rely on my pay being correct every 4 weeks so I'm fuming, not back in until next week now. I can understand not paying somebody without their consent if they have gone AWOL for weeks but with something as sensitive as bereavement I am shocked! I also heard from staff that when I told them I wasn't going to be coming to work due to my grandad passing away he openly said in anger in front of others that he was going to only pay me for one day! I've only had a recent bad spate of absence in the 26 week window but going on years beyond that my attendance has been fine so I am also really annoyed at his decision to not pay it in the first place! I've worked in the company 20 years as well. Is there anything I can do other than just saying "yes ok just give it me in my next pay and I'll take it as holiday" because I don't think he's followed basic process here and also been really unprofessional is it worth reporting?

lucgeo

My sincere condolences on the loss of your grandad  :(

Read the previous posts given above on this thread by other posters on answering the rules regarding bereavement.
Your 2 day week should have been paid, with the attendance for the funeral included in this.

Ensure the coding is correct for just the one day payment, as it's not sick leave coding. Check what coding is down for the unpaid day?

horatiocain

You are absolutely correct that you are entitled to a full week off with pay, it isn't included in you absence percentage as it isn't sickness.
As for your managers behaviour I'd complain to his manager informally first then formally if you're still unsatisfied  which knowing  Tesco you will be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk