News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:44AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 302
Total: 304

bereavement

Started by poppy1, 07-11-15, 10:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tumshie

That's good to hear.
Not a great system that tesco have got there, tho.

Cairney39

Great news, well done on your transfer

horatiocain

I had that same email weeks after my last transfer.

sammy

My nan passed away on Friday morning. I rang duty on Friday afternoon to say I wouldn't be in Sat*rday or Sunday.( my manger is off sick)   And that I need some bereavement time. I just want to know what to expect when I go back to work on Tuesday. I've only had 2 shifts off. I know 2 members of staff on a different department were made to make the hour back up or have holiday when there grandad passed away last month. I've work for the company for 7 years never had a days sick or anything in the pass. I just don't want to be given incorrect information when I go back. Being made to take it as unpaid or holiday thank you for your help

Expressdude2016

hi Sammy sorry for your loss. Nothing will happen. there is no set limit for time off in cases of bereavement as it depends on the individual but as a general rule they will pay up to 5 days. any after that is compassionate leave which is usually unpaid. The leave can be spit into full days or half days so that its as flexible for each person as much as possible.  The individuals on other department you mentioned if correct in what you say should not have had it put as holiday or work back which is shocking if this occurred.

kaled78

we had someone  told they had to use holiday or take it unpaid/make time up,when their mother-in-law died,in the end they went sick.

terra

Paid bereavement leave applies to parents of your partner, but may not cover grandparents.

kaled78

It seems to vary from store to store depending on management

Nomad

@trolleyboy96 I apologize, I deleted your last post by mistake.  :(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

JL

They give you the day close relative or not or a sick line will go in.  ;)

horatiocain

Grandparents are covered under the bereavement policy, I used it for my grandfather.

blablabla

My aunt died we were very close, she was the only link we had to our dad who died 20 years ago. Told my line manager we had a bereavement, asked the  her the bereavement policy she said it was up to her to decide if I got paid or not. I didn't get paid, I did not get asked how I wanted the time off, as paid/unpaid or could I work the time back.

No offer of condolences just an inconvenience for her to arrange cover, was my observation it's a shocking way to treat grieving people, I would have been better keeping my mouth shut and phoning in sick.

Redshoes

It's all decided by your manager. In theory your manager should know you best so is able to support those that need it and stop those who are working the system. Years ago I knew of someone who took two weeks off for some relative they had not seen in 20 years and they did not even attend the funeral. This was the way it was 20+ years ago. This was why it was given to a manager to decide. It will then depend on where the funeral is and how involved you are in arranging.
I was given a day to travel down, a day for the funeral and a day to travel back. Above and beyond that I was given the option to move my holiday that for me fell within that period. I did not ask for anything as it all fell within my holiday but it was offered to me and I accepted. I only needed to attend funeral and had did not have to do any organising or visiting solicitors etc but it was to support my twin sister, her husband died.
I have recently known of someone get just over two weeks off paid due to being the principle organisor. When they came back they were also supported with changes to shifts if needed.
The short answer is that there is a vast difference to what different people need so there is not a one for all answer. If you are not happy with what your manager has said you need to take it further. It will depend on you and your store, your options are Union or senior team. I would suggest you go to the best person you feel will support you and do battle for you.

londoner83

My understanding is the bereavement policy is designed to give you time off for people close to you. Some people are closer to grandparents/aunts/uncles and see them daily/weekly as opposed to a father they haven't seen in decades. Therefore it's only right you should have bereavement leave if one sadly passes.

You need to speak open and honestly with your manager on your return and in the highly unlikely event leave is refused speak to your union rep.

sammy

So I had my meeting when I returned I was very open and honest with my manager.  Was told I would get full pay for the time I was off, and that I didn't need to worry as the bereavement policy in place is 1 week, so I didn't need to worry about.

So today I opened my wages slip and I'm missing he 4 shifts that I had off and it's says unpaid sick hours at bottom of wage slip and the hours I was away.  My store also owes me money from May's payment that I was short and still haven't been paid. I've put 3 wages query's in now. Was told it would be sorted and it still hasn't.

Surely bereavement isn't sickness and I should have been pay for it as well. When I went back my manager did also say to me that though I was off sick until 2 days before I went back.  So could it just be a case of it was coded wrong? Am I in my right to ask for this money? Many thanks

smart chick

So sorry to hear off your bereavement you should have been coded under different code in system and it wouldn't have touched your sick pay ect speak to your line manager if still don't get sorted then go higher if you cannot get sorted out in grievance, good luck.

eduncan70

hi can anyone help me I have never used anything like this before but I am totally gob smacked by the way I have been treated by Tesco cafe Manager.

My father-in-law passed away the week before I started at tesco I informed the manager of this started my shift did 2 and then day off on my day off my mother-in-law was admitted in to hospital with pneumonia and various other issues so I called the manager but they had finished for the day so I left a message, then on Thursday morning the manager called me and asked what had happened I explained not once did she ask when I would return to work but TERMINATED my position with immediate, effect how do I stand?  I am owed 2 shifts I did also two 4 hour open and close shifts to find out I wont get paid for them.

HELP who do I go to who can help me. 

madness

How long have you been with the company?

Equalizer87

Personally, I find it disgusting that Tesco have that to you, really is the lowest thing a company can do.

Durng my probation at my current employment (after leaving Tesco), my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer. They gave me the time off I needed to help my father with his treatment and didn't count it against me in any way during or at the end of my probation. I cannot praise them enough.

If only Tesco showed such compassion.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

JL

Tesco managers enjoy being k**b ends too much. Only saying!

trolleyboy96

I hate to ask but I will, was it actually Tesco or is the cafe 3rd party? They have there own rules, if it's tesco and your temp, if you've been there less than 12 weeks it's 7 days notice if longer than 12 weeks but still temp then 4 weeks notice. They can't adjust these rules.

Nomad

No matter the company you are entitled to be paid for all hours worked, collect and collate your evidence, present them with copies and demand your monies or else.

The else being small claims court, CAB maybe able to help/advise you.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Expressdude2016

Quote from: trolleyboy96 on 28-03-18, 07:21PM
I hate to ask but I will, was it actually Tesco or is the cafe 3rd party? They have there own rules, if it's tesco and your temp, if you've been there less than 12 weeks it's 7 days notice if longer than 12 weeks but still temp then 4 weeks notice. They can't adjust these rules.

Tesco Cafe is a business owned by Tesco.

Englands_finest

What about wife's grandparents...would I be covered for time off or not as when I asked they said I wasn't covered but when I went deeper into finding out some facts it states everyone's circumstances are different and should be dealt with accordingly!!! The policy isn't specific as to who you have time off for but more for who your closest to etc...I had to take time unpaid to be with my wife and kids and then had to work a day back just so I could go to the funeral which I thought was wrong in my opinion

Redshoes

A few years ago a manager came to ask me if a colleague was close to her father-in-law as her husband had died years before. I said yes, she saw him daily. She was given paid bereavement leave.

Families are strange things. I have known people take two weeks off for a relative who has died but did not go away to visit the family or even attend the funeral. It has to be case by case because of this, and as such it may not always be right. You can need more time for a best friend or family member who is not that close on the family tree because you see them daily but the grief might be greater than for a sister you have not seen for 30 years
It's a difficult time for those going through it but the time should be reserved for those grieving and not for those trying to get a few extra paid days off. Sad fact of life is that this does happen.

I'm not saying that you are trying it on, I'm just saying that it has to be case by case and if needed you should never have to fight for the time. It is the wrong time to do battle. Speak to the union or store manager.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk