News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:52PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 301
Total: 304

bereavement

Started by poppy1, 07-11-15, 10:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy1

hi i have just recieved bad news this morning that my aunt has died.  unsure when the funeral will be but it will fall during my working week. does bereavement leave apply to aunt or will i have to take off as compassionate leave. want to know the facts before i go in as they would tell you anything.  thank you

Red Rock

Sorry to hear off your loss Poppy.   My understanding is that an Aunt doesn't fall into immediate family; however in my store, management have been really understanding towards colleques bereavement requests.  I hope your store will be compassionate and give you the support you require during this difficult time for your family.  God bless.

lucgeo

Poppy1

As Red Rock has stated you will not be eligible for bereavement leave for your aunt.

You will be offered compassionate leave, usually with the choice of unpaid, shift swap or holiday entitlement. You will have a welcome back, however your leave with be mitigating and therefor not included in any prior or future percentage calculations for absence.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

poppy1

thank you for your replies.  a few years ago this happened when another aunt died manager made me take night off as unpaid, following week a collegue's uncle died same thing he had to use a holiday.  a few weeks later after other people telling me i should have got it as bereavement i asked the personel manager who told me i should have got it as bereavment.  the following week some union big wig was down on different business and had us all in canteen he asked if there was anything we wanted to ask about and this was brought up.  he said it should have been bereavement and he went to my manager and i was given another night off and collegue was given holiday back. thats why i thought it would be bereavemnt leave.

Nomad

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bereavement

What should be taken into consideration is how strong the emotional link is between the bereaved and the deceased.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

poppy1

Thank you for all your comments will see manager later.

the-vortex

I lost two relatives this year (well they're all over 80 now) one blood uncle (mum's brother) and one non-blood aunt (dad's brother's wife). One funeral fell on a work day and the other didn't. In the case of the working day the day was taken as unpaid. The link above seems quite clear that this is in line with policy.
Loyalty is a one-way street!

Loki

Members at the store in which I work receive a minimum of 2 - 3 days paid bereavement leave for an Aunt or Uncle. Again, could be more depending on the individual circumstances.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Redshoes

I once worked with someone who had lost her father-in-law. They came to ask if they were close as her husband had died many years before. I was able to confirm that she saw him daily so full leave was granted. The questions were asked but in a quiet way and the person involved never knew. It's a hard thing as people have asked for leave for a distant relative they have not seen in over twenty years, in that case two weeks is not reasonable to take the extended leave, so can only ever be done on a case by case basis. I have also worked with someone who has wanted time to go to the funeral of anyone she has ever spoken to, or so it seemed to others. I was granted leave when my brother-in-law died. It was granted for me to support my sister as it is known that we are close. I was also grated extended holiday as a follow up to this going down the line to help my sister. I have other sisters but this would not be the same for them as we don't see as much of each other and they have different family support.

Red Rock

Poppy,

Did you get the support you required during this difficult time?

poppy1

yes red rock thank you  got 2 days bereavement. i spoke to my rep who spoke to manager on my behalf and it was not a problem.

lucgeo

Poppy 1

My deepest condolences.

When you are feeling able could you inform us as to whether the bereavement leave was given without question or did you have a meeting to confirm your closeness with your aunt??

poppy1

i spoke to my rep about the closeness with my aunt and he spoke to manager on my behalf.  there was no issue.

jatbaws

Looking for some advice I was due to transfer to another store this week but my mum passed away last Tuesday I phoned my store and told them I would not be in for the rest of the week  my mums funeral is tomorrow so I phoned My store yesturday and told them I would not be in for the rest of this week. I was supposed to be on holiday anyway  my managers asked how I'm doing but as I was due to be transferred it should be the new store that I tell  it I just got a email from the Tesco career Center whith the job that I was starting saying that After careful consideration, unfortunately we will not continue your application to the next stage. What are my options

Loki

First of all, my sincere condolences.

I hate to ask the following:

Tesco Career Centre?

Careful consideration?

jatbaws

Yes it where I applied for the job. That's what the email said

After careful consideration, unfortunately we will not continue your application to the next stage.

However, we do consider every application individually so if you find another role that you think would be right for you, please don't hesitate to get in touch again.

Click here to explore some other opportunities.

Best Regards, The Tesco Resourcing team.

The thing is I was told I woul be starting In 2-3 weeks then this happened the managers had agreed to let me go and transfer the new store is 40 minites closer to my home also

Loki

After considering what?

Bleh

That response is automatically sent once you've been rejected on the stores recruitment site

jatbaws

After considering what? That is what I don't know the only thing that has changed is my mums death. Might have to speak to a rep but can't be bothered just now other things more important

The manager at the new store said he wanted me to start within 2-3 weeks whitch is this week so maybe cause what happen they filled the post.

Fr3ddy I know that as I have had the email before for other jobs I went for but this is the job I applied for and got offered and given a start date  for.

Loki

If it's to do with your loss, then I would certainly speak with your rep.

Cairney39

If you applied through the career centre, and they have verbally or in person offered you the job, then I think you can take it that you have the job.

After a few weeks have passed, the store manager or PM gets an email asking for an update on the vacancies. The chances are, and you will need to clarify this with the new store, is that the selected EVERY applicant and rejected them to "close" the vacancy, not realising that you would get this email too.

I would ask your existing SM to contact your new store to clarify if this is what has happened, or you can reply to the email and it will get to the store via the Career Centre.

not something you should be dealing with this week, sorry for your loss

tumshie

My condolences, jatbaws. You really don't need to have rubbish from tesco to deal with, at the moment.

Would it be possible to contact your new SM or PM to explain about your bereavement and confirm that you still expect to start at their store?

Definitely speak to a rep if you get further problems with this.

jatbaws

Thanks guys it not something I want to be bothered with at this time just gives me something else to worry about

lucgeo

Jatbaws

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Give your rep the details and ask them to act on your behalf to ask questions and sort it for you.

jatbaws

Just a wee follow up it was a automated email when the post is filled still got my transfer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk