News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:46PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Till Losses

Started by delysia, 06-04-11, 09:18PM

Previous topic - Next topic

instorebakery

Quote from: Princess Perfect on 12-07-11, 11:21PM
Till loses are not only mistakes, they could also be that a teamleader or a cashier or a multiskiller has been stealing. We have had an incident like that recently, needless to say, that employee does not work for Tesco any more.

You missed out "or manager";

Managers can be thieves too!

Daredevil

If your store has smart tills (where the cash is weighed after every transaction) then till checks should be done every morning and evening by your team support or manager.Maybe the drawer needs recalibrated.

CatherineP

I was working for Tesco up until 3 weeks ago. Relentless bullying by manager. As I had found a new job I was all set to go and the day before I was to leave, they announced a till loss of £27.40

They interviewed only me (I often left my till signed in when using the bathroom) and interviewed other people who used my till. I felt like I was unfairly treated. CCTV would clear me, but they said that they won't sit and look through the 4 hours I was there. (Typical)

Now I've left I won't find out who it was. Still irks me though that anyone would steal such an exact amount and on my till too. I've never stolen from the store.

Expressdude2016

Till interview is just process for everyone on till that had loss. Doesn't mean there accusing you it's more to ensure folk understand process and follow it . Example here would be sign off till when going to toilet or better still put in secure mode. They should not be using CCTV for the purpose you said either.

Morris999

If your old store has the smart cash draws then they would only need to interview the person that has the till short!
If they don't have the smart cash draws then everyone should have an interview!

just curious

If a till has the smart cash drawers then how does the till recognise the difference in weight of monetary notes and coupons etc or possible forged notes ?.
Also when doing the change runs is the change weighed into the till to possibly spot any shortfall in money that is supposedly placed into the till , as it is not the first time a bag of two pound coins for example has only had eighteen pounds instead of twenty in the bag or some foreign coins are in the bags of change issued which could potentially cause a till shortage under an operators name ?.

Expressdude2016

The smart till drawer is very accurate. The note acceptor is approved by the bank of England  and is same one they use for forgerys .If it doesn't accept note you can do secondary check using eyes and pen but process is not to accept note from customer. Tills would only be investigated if difference of a fiver so it would show up if loss was had happened at time  of change run. where the coupons go are not weighed. Since we went live with them 15 weeks ago we have lost 24 pounds in that whole time.

CatherineP

We didn't have the smart tills yet although we were told they were going to be ordered in

Morris999

Expressdude the smart cash draws cannot tell if a note is forged or not, only the new auto safe or note acceptors on self serve can tell that!
As for when interviews take place, it is for £10 loss/gain not £5, unless the £10 limit has recently changed for express as superstore/extra and metro is still £10!

Just curious the smart cash draws weigh all money and notes everytime the till is opened, no matter the reason, so if a change bag was short it would show up as then not later in day for another cashier.
As for foreign coins, as long as they weigh the same as the coin they are being taken as then it won't show up till someone notices it and removes it from the till.
Now if someone puts a coupon in the note slot, then it becomes an issue as the till will weigh it thinking its a note!
Now if someone was dishonest they could swop them round and it would not be noticed till another person noticed it in the wrong slot!
I know of a few cashiers dismissed for shopping coupons and notes round!

Catherine P, if your old store does not have smart cash drawers then the limit fir cash loss/gain for a interview is £30!
So you shouldn't have had an interview for the loss!
But again everyone who had been on that till between till checks should be interviewed, and if not then they will fail an audit!

optout

How long do tesco keep cctv footage?

Would it be possible to request footage of the time a person is on the till?

Could a person claim the whole 4 hours?

It shouldn't matter whether you have left tesco or not?

what would be the cost for such a request?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Expressdude2016

opt out varies depending on system in our store it has 8 weeks yet in store close by it has 4 weeks.  I would not think they would check cctv in this instance it was standard till  investigation which is only asking basic questions. Nothing happens because its impossible on the non smart tills to prove who caused the loss unless your on till and no one else is or you till check before you go on and off. In this instance person left her till signed on so many folk could have went on and used it.

optout

CatherineP

Quote from: optout on 20-10-16, 08:17PM
How long do tesco keep cctv footage?

Would it be possible to request footage of the time a person is on the till?

Could a person claim the whole 4 hours?

It shouldn't matter whether you have left tesco or not?

what would be the cost for such a request?

My manager told me he would not be reviewing all the footage he hasn't got time, but the area manager came down and watched the entire 4 hour CCTV footage and personally cleared me of any wrongdoing, then stated "We are going to interview the other staff member who was using your till"

Area manager went down to my store, spent all day there trying to sort this out and make sure the store manager (Who is a nasty, sneaky manipulative little sb) does his job properly

The store manager said I had no right to know the outcome once I've left.

optout

contact the area manager then;

optout

Also: If tesco still retain your employee file, the decision may be in this, and you can request a copy of everything in that file for a fee. It is your personal information and you have a right to it. IIRC

Yanna2233

I have a friend who is being taken for a disciplinary for till shorts.  I know nothing about the tills. They say she Smisby put the 20 in the till.  She says the till weighs the money that goes in and as far as she is aware it will not let you do another transaction if it doesn't clear, is this correct  :question:

Expressdude2016

By the sound of it your talking about smart tills. These weigh the money so any discrepancy can be pin pointed to a precise time. I'm not sure what you mean by doesn't clear as it just works as any till.  It wont stop transactions at any time.

Arketti

What is the smallest amount that triggers a till investigation on the smart tills please?

Expressdude2016

£5 either in one transaction or over course of a week ( smart tills only )

Arketti

Thanks, is that in all size stores? Was clarifying because somebody above mentioned £5 and someone else mentioned £10. 

Expressdude2016

Sorry still half a sleep  ... yes its £10 now for all formats.

Olivia Pope

If you feel that you have been accused and this made you leave your role due to the way you had been treated you can write to AM or PM or Dave Lewis, stating that you where left with no choice - made your position untenable. If you had not been treated correctly and seen all evidence including 4hrs CCTV through your investigation speak to ACAS they will be able to help. Anything held on file can be accessed up to 7years after your leaving date. You are able to request to see everything on file including internal emails with subject matter relating to you. This is in line with data protection.

Hamsterman

Quote from: delysia on 06-04-11, 09:18PM
hurray i've found a way to post on this damn forum have been surfing for ages

wrong dept to ask a realistic question rather than a hypothetical one but here goes.
I have been having loads of till losses during the last few months and I aint taking that money home or giving it away as far as I am aware that money goes back in the till, I've worked at the same store for five years and have cameras on me and I aint no thief. grevience procedure starts tomorrow any tips on what is going wrong???

Quote from: delysia on 31-03-11, 06:54PM
help what is a grevience proceedure my till losses have been getting worse
I think you managed to post 6 days ago,

Just ask for a staff search for yourself before you go on the till and straight after you leave,this will take you out of suspicion

Morris999

Hamsterman you do realise you've replied to a post from 2011, a post that was about pre smart cash draws till shorts

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk