Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:42PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 304
Total: 307

Lockdown 2: Vulnerable Employees, just who is to work and who is not?

Started by person7, 04-11-20, 11:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redshoes

Quote from: T69 on 06-11-20, 09:10PM
Don’t know if this has been asked. With colleagues being advised to shield again with company sick pay or if ran out SSP and Tesco topping up, I presume this will affect the sick pay allowance in the future if colleague is to take sick??

Yes it will, you have limited amount of sick pay and there is no way round this. If you use it all up in these four weeks off your money will be topped up. It resets on your annual start date so next lot of paid sick will depend on this.
Last time around this did not happen. It did not effect your sick pay allowance.

Lots of posts about different people being classed at different levels of vulnerability. We are however all different so it will be individually assessed. I have two friends with asthma, one is really bad but she is in work. The other is off even though her asthma is mild but she also is autoimmune. We are not doctors, it's not up to us to judge. You may have worked with someone for a very long time but this does not give you inside knowledge to their medical history. They may have chosen not to talk about it and they may have gone so far as to hide it. That is up to them, they don't have to tell you. They should inform work but some people don't. It's a very personal thing and should be treated as such.

dotnochance

In my store(Scotland) all shielding staff told to come back

Tom Hardy

Only the few who got letters and not all the ones last lockdown are to be shielded this time round

T69

Quote from: dotnochance on 07-11-20, 09:51AM

It’s states in updated policy that those who were told to shield in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can either come back to work if they want or stay off as communicated in first message

T69

Quote from: dotnochance on 07-11-20, 09:51AM

QuoteFollowing our message yesterday on guidance for Clinically Extremely Vulnerable (CEV) and high risk Clinically Vulnerable (CV) colleagues, we have listened to feedback from some of these colleagues who wish to carry on working.

We recognise that government guidance differs depending on which nation of the UK you live in. Therefore effective immediately, we are updating our policy to say that if you are a CEV or high risk CV colleague who lives and works in a devolved nation, i.e. Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland, then you have the option to choose whether to stay at home on contractual pay from 5 November until 2 December, or come to work if that is your preference. This will remain the case as long as the local government advice for your nation or region continues to be that CEV people should not attend work if they cannot work from home.

For our high risk CV and CEV colleagues in England, we have heard their views and are currently working on a solution to see if there is a way of enabling them to ask to carry on working based on medical advice from our Occupational Health provider. However for the time being they must follow the guidance set out yesterday and should not attend work if they cannot work from home from 5 November till 2 December, until advised otherwise.

If you are in a devolved nation, please use this information to update colleagues affected by this policy whilst reiterating that we are fully committed to paying them to remain at home, unless they themselves prefer to attend work. For affected colleagues in England who have approached you to ask if they can continue working, please advise them that they must stay at home until 2 December until advised otherwise.

There is no change for high risk pregnant colleagues who will continue to be paid to stay at home irrespective of which part of the UK they work in.

The updated policy documents and Q&A will be available on Colleague Help tomorrow (6 November). If you have any questions please speak to your People Partner.

StephenL

Quote from: person7 on 06-11-20, 10:41PM
Quote from: miriam on 05-11-20, 08:50AM
I'm in same situation. You have to be on list, I'm not on list.
I wear a mask it protects others, many customers are not protecting me.
The confusing thing is I'm on the list as category B, but even my mangers don't know if category B is included in the shielding themselves or not, so they said until head office clarifies it, I'm to keep coming in but "be extra careful".
Occupational Health Categories A and B are not on 'the list'.   Only Category C. 

dotnochance

Yeah, staff where told to come come nothing about it’s your choice

notsofunny

For our high risk CV and CEV colleagues in England, we have heard their views and are currently working on a solution to see if there is a way of enabling them to ask to carry on working based on medical advice from our Occupational Health provider. However for the time being they must follow the guidance set out yesterday and should not attend work if they cannot work from home from 5 November till 2 December, until advised otherwise.

So Tesco are going to take it on them self's to decide or should I say to over ride what Medical doctors have said .. And if so who is to say that Managers will not put pressure on those staff in England and in future other parts of the union that don't want to come back to work ?

Also seems that they are more than ready to hear what members say when it benefits  Tesco yet hear nothing when it is of benefits to Members ,,,,

Welshie

Well it's all a bit silly really , if you're in Wales or northern Ireland and are CEV you will already have worked through most of your fire break/circuit break and the weeks leading up to those when infection rates were much much higher than they are now ,  You now have the option to stay home but can go to work even though infection rates have come down but are still much higher than they are in England . In England the CEV must not go to work  .
Can't work out if Tesco dont give a s*** about staff outside of England or if they're just trying to buddy up with Bojo .
Does anyone know if staff in the republic of Ireland are being made to go off to cocoon as it's called there as they are half way through a 6 week lockdown .

notsofunny

Welshie  :thumbup:

how did Wales word the Lockdown ? Did they ask those that are CEV to stay at home ?  I would ask the same for those in Scotland ,Northern Ireland ,and the Republic the same thing ,  Since if they did ask those that are CEV to lockdown and stay at home then how did Teso pay them ? or not ,

Welshie

@notsofunny , I dont know about the republic but the devolved nations just told the CEV to be extra careful . to be honest I have not seen anywhere and am happy to be proved wrong where the government hand told the CEV in England to shield, the press conference I saw told them to work from home where they could and restrict social contact . I do know of people that have had emails from PHE but they are mostly cancer patients 
Edit ### it does say that if you cant work from home you should not go to work . It's the rest of the shielding advice that is less restrictive .

dotnochance

My store is such a f****ng joke, was talking to a member of my dept and he got a text, i  said to him better watch yourself a manager will be on your arse, and he told me its fine, that's his contact tracing text to tell him to be off, apparently he got tested  a few days ago but managers told him to come in as he hasn't tested positive yet. f****ng idiots the lot of them.
oh yeah and another bunch off staff are off because a bunch of them went to a p**s up on xmas day  But being a vulnerable but not extremely vulnerable ill have to come into work and mixx with these idiots 

NightAndDay

Quote from: Welshie on 08-11-20, 12:10AM
Can't work out if Tesco dont give a s*** about staff outside of England or if they're just trying to buddy up with Bojo .

Tesco has always only ever cared about productivity from the bottom line and their profit statements, they're trying to be clever by avoiding a PR disaster by technically "following government guidelines" they think by taking a more lax approach to the virus, they'll have greater redundancy in the event staff decide to self isolate, it's been a race to the bottom for years and Tesco seems to create a new low every year. The obvious thing to do would have been to take a blanket approach regardless of country, but no, that would impact Tescos bottom line.

Redshoes

As you have left the company a long time ago, well before covid, you are only posting on your old experience in small format and others experience in large format and covid.

[admin]Post you opinion of the situation not that of other members.[/admin]

dotnochance

Just seen this message go out from Tesco
“ All Clinically Extremely Vulnerable (CEV) and high risk Clinically Vulnerable (CV) colleagues in all parts of the UK should now remain at home and return to shielding.”
What the difference between those 2 groups what falls under (cv)

Welshie

In  tesco terms , the people that were told to remain shielding throughout July by the occupational health team .

dotnochance

Yeah but my point is those 2 phrases are exactly the same, the only people recommend to stay shielding where the (cev)people what constitutes high risk (cv)

Morris999

Occupational Health decided if you were classed as High Risk CV.
Otherwise you had the Shielding letter (CEV) or you didn’t and then classed as CV.
Basically everyone who was off from March had the option to go through OH in June if they didn’t get a shielding letter.
OH then decided if you were classed as High Risk CV for Tesco purposes.
You would have been told if you were and stayed off till August and again in November.

dotnochance

yeah i didnt go for occupational health as manager said it was a waste of time, i forgot the golden rule, never listen to managers

Rad

You still can, it's a really fast turnaround. If they class you as Category A or B you shield.  If you are C and dont want to work you can request to be unpaid or use holidays.

Sarah106

It was the other way round . Cat C is high risk and should shield . A & B still have to work. I was given cat B by oh last year

dotnochance

how do u get (OH) last thhing i read about it a few months ago said they weren't doing it anymore?

Redshoes

They have changed company as old one was just so slow. You need to go through a manager, not all can do. There tends to be one or two who can do this. You can request at any point but it can't be done without your permission. Slowest turnaround I have seen with this is two weeks but we are now in unpresidentated times. The quality of reports is good too. If your manager can't do the referral they can't automatically see the report. It is the person who refers that can. You need to give permission on who can see it and if you need to you can restrict who can't.
You don't need to give written permission, verbal is enough so if you are not in work you can ring to request. You do need to provide an email address and a phone number. The email is so they can send you the report. The phone number is so they can ring you to hold the actual consultation.

Emma_brown8484

I am cat C and was told at the end of the first lockdown I could go on a lifestyle break anyone else get offered this?

dotnochance

I saw this
“COVID-19 Occupational Health Referral

The COVID-19 Occupational Health Process is now CLOSED. Should you need to obtain advice on a colleague’s fitness to attend work, you should complete the business as usual occupational health referral process, choosing the COVID-19 option”
Under colleague help

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk