News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:25AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Working over Christmas/NY

Started by josephinebutler, 21-10-20, 01:34PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris9997

I know it does not need to be on the contract I was just saying that was where the info is instead of trying to speak to the people partner

Kingkong2015

Staff on new generation contracts have to use a holiday out of their leave or have these unpaid if they want in Depots esp Belfast.

blueberet

Does anyone know if .com is delivering on Christmas Eve?

dotnochance

Cbatt566

Hi I’m temping at the moment.  On my day of induction the trainer asked if we had any planned holidays.  I work both Saturday and Sunday night shifts in a PFS.  I stated on my induction pack when filling it out I needed Boxing Day and the day after off as holiday.  Can someone clarify for me that this will be paid as I will accrue holiday during my time working at Tesco, however long that might be ....

Prince of Darkness

I'm a checkouts Team Support. My contract is for Mon, Tues and Friday 1000-1900 and Weds 0600-1400 & Sat 0600-1500. We are currently open 0600-2400 so starting and finishing one hour earlier than those hours.

SM has told Checkouts Mgr to plan for 24 hr opening for the week of Christmas and the week of New Year. The nights team have said they can't support checkouts colleagues (3 tills open 2400-0600, despite only ever having 1 in previous years, who did nothing) so we need a TS 24/7. Seems my manager has me down to work the nights.

Can I be forced to work nights? My work pattern really fits nicely w Christmas this year as I have Thursday (Xmas Eve) off and finish at lunchtime on Weds. Nights that week would imply a finish on Thursday morning, assumimg that a Weds evening shift counts for that day,even though most of the hours are on Thursday.

lackofinterest

no. you can't be forced to work nights unless you are contracted to nights. TELL the manager to do nights >:D

Welshie

Our store opening  24hrs from 14th December, think most will be to spread the volume of customers.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: Prince of Darkness on 27-11-20, 06:58AM
I'm a checkouts Team Support. My contract is for Mon, Tues and Friday 1000-1900 and Weds 0600-1400 & Sat 0600-1500. We are currently open 0600-2400 so starting and finishing one hour earlier than those hours.

SM has told Checkouts Mgr to plan for 24 hr opening for the week of Christmas and the week of New Year. The nights team have said they can't support checkouts colleagues (3 tills open 2400-0600, despite only ever having 1 in previous years, who did nothing) so we need a TS 24/7. Seems my manager has me down to work the nights.

Can I be forced to work nights? My work pattern really fits nicely w Christmas this year as I have Thursday (Xmas Eve) off and finish at lunchtime on Weds. Nights that week would imply a finish on Thursday morning, assumimg that a Weds evening shift counts for that day,even though most of the hours are on Thursday.

would be an unreasonable request since its not a couple of hours difference but a huge pattern shift, so tell them to shaft themselves xD

Prince of Darkness

Thank you and lackofinterest.  :)

Redshoes

You can win the battle on this but you need to pick the battles as the main aim for everyone is to win the war.
We are opting not to have team support in overnight in my store. We are having tea support in during the peak trading hours of the day and competent step ups in during the night. Team support are in earlier and finish later but are not needed 24/7.
Ask about what time change run is being done. Ask about close down to allow end of day to run. Ask what is expected of you and others if store is not busy. Ask enough questions to make your manager think things through. Make it sound like you are helping. You don't have to do this and loads will say this but who knows what is happening in the new year. Team leader skills are not needed in the dead of night when store is potentially less busy.

newguy20

Quote from: Prince of Darkness on 27-11-20, 06:58AMSM has told Checkouts Mgr to plan for 24 hr opening for the week of Christmas and the week of New Year. The nights team have said they can't support checkouts colleagues (3 tills open 2400-0600, despite only ever having 1 in previous years, who did nothing) so we need a TS 24/7. Seems my manager has me down to work the nights.

Same here, they are planning 5 cashiers + 2 self serve + T/S on shift. Seems pretty OTT but I guess they don't want to be caught with their pants down if it's busy. Prior to lockdown on nights I think there were 2 on shift on self serve and would open mainbank only if required.

When first mentioned it was assumed that the T/S regular jobs would be done before they went home (maybe a bit later than usual) and that a reasonable person would stand in (experienced cashier who can do voids / refunds and has their head screwed on to coordinate breaks) overnight - calling the Night Manager for anything else.

They have at least managed to find one T/S who is happy to do the shift.

lackofinterest

nobody can be forced to work nights unless they're contracted. just say no, it's that easy 8-)

lackofinterest

Quote from: Halftone84 on 23-10-20, 03:52PM
Thanks, where can I view that for tomorrow when I change my holiday from the Monday to the boxing day ?
take both, they're both bank holidays. you will only be paid for one though.

extrastore

Quote from: lucgeo on 27-10-20, 09:10PM
??? What is the current correct email format, as in e.g. name.@tesco .com ???
format is first name.surname@uk.tesco.com
e.g. The Chief People Officer is Natasha.Adams@uk.tesco.com

expressman77

Quote from: lackofinterest on 30-11-20, 12:37AM
Thanks, where can I view that for tomorrow when I change my holiday from the Monday to the boxing day ?
They both cant be bank holidays, surly if you take 26th as bank holiday monday becomes
A normal working day ,or vice versa.
And shouldn't all holidays and bank holidays have been booked by july

lackofinterest

dunno about flexi staff but i don't have to work any bank holidays. not my fault tescos are having theirs as saturday and the official one is monday plus i don't have to book bank holidays i just tell my manager at the beginning of the year i don't work any of them!!

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: expressman77 on 01-12-20, 01:23PM
Quote from: lackofinterest on 30-11-20, 12:37AM
They both cant be bank holidays, surly if you take 26th as bank holiday monday becomes
A normal working day ,or vice versa.
And shouldn't all holidays and bank holidays have been booked by july

For booking holidays, you ideally should have a holiday review in February to book the majority of your holidays and then another in November to book any remaining holidays if you haven't booked them all, you don't have to actually book any at all in your holiday reviews etc, it's just there as a sit down offer to help you get them in and organised and help managers get organised...you can book them all at once or book them whenever you decide but it's down to you to make sure you book all your holidays not the company and you can't carry them over.

Policy just states ideally a few weeks notice but need to get back within 7 days of a holiday form given in or they are automatically accepted.

lackofinterest

i've NEVER had a holiday review in my 20+ years with the company!!

Nomad

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 01-12-20, 04:06PM
it's down to you to make sure you book all your holidays not the company and you can't carry them over.

In the case of statutory holiday entitlement not able to be taken due to ill health then it can be carried over.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

whatajoke2019

I've had a couple of them in the past but just lately it's been a case of chasing my manager and telling them I've got time off to book otherwise you won't see me for a couple of months  :D.

Can't say too much to make sure I'm not personally identifiable but in the past I did end up with a "Let's Talk" for not booking my entire allowance off in one go despite me telling said manager (who gave me the LT) why I'd wanted to save some back-several times  ??? !

chris9997

If there is a stronger lockdown in areas over Xmas / ny with some areas of society closed down this can only make working in stores very difficult as people will see the shopping trip as a social event and bring everyone with them.

Swordfish

Asda anounce that they will be closing ALL stores on Boxing Day to support there colleagues spending time with there families........
Thoughts?

helpme

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 01-12-20, 05:59PM
I've had a couple of them in the past but just lately it's been a case of chasing my manager and telling them I've got time off to book otherwise you won't see me for a couple of months  :D.

Can't say too much to make sure I'm not personally identifiable but in the past I did end up with a "Let's Talk" for not booking my entire allowance off in one go despite me telling said manager (who gave me the LT) why I'd wanted to save some back-several times  ??? !
But you don't have to book it all in one go. 75% has to be done in April and the other 25% by the end of October.

T.C.1

Boxing Day off plus the bouns which I think is a weeks wage? would be nice for Tesco to see what other supermarkets are doing but I fear not. If the demand wasn't there I think Tesco would be shut but unfortunately it's a family afternoon out on Boxing Day going to Tesco plus I would reckon if Tesco was open Christmas Day they would still have significant punters in store?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk