News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:26PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 276
Total: 277

Shift leaders

Started by Mark calloway, 20-09-21, 03:03AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kieth_Lemon

I agree Penguin. 1 on 1 working shouldn't happen but the reality is it does more often than not.

In Tesco if someone is out sick or on holiday. they are only covered if the overtime budget allows so more often than not they don't.

Rosst. Every shift you will be on you are the Duty Manager, and in effect will be running the store so in that respect is the same as coop.

Tesco are rolling out the woosh service but I've yet to hear of the budgets being increased to cover the resources need to operate this.

Also did they tell you your going to be your stores cleaner too as Tesco saw fit to bin off the cleaners to save money.

Not trying to put you off joining Tesco just cautioning you to go in with your eyes open.

penguin

You make a very valid point about the cleaners, middle of the worst pandemic since the infamous Spanish Flu, everyone asked to increase hygiene levels, Tesco lets get rid of cleaners from express to save a few quid. If that does not tell everyone what this company finds important then nothing well.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Pda-smith

Getting rid of the cleaners during a pandemic was the final straw for me. The expectations of a shift leader in an express is wildly unachievable at the best of times. Unable to take a full (unpaid) break was my biggest gripe. Not a chance you are getting 1.5 hours in.
Moved to a competitor a few months back and so far the grass is greener. Little less money but 100% worth the less stress.

Rosst

Quote from: Pda-smith on 09-11-21, 12:03AM
Getting rid of the cleaners during a pandemic was the final straw for me. The expectations of a shift leader in an express is wildly unachievable at the best of times. Unable to take a full (unpaid) break was my biggest gripe. Not a chance you are getting 1.5 hours in.
Moved to a competitor a few months back and so far the grass is greener. Little less money but 100% worth the less stress.

Are we allowed to know who, incase its where i came from 🤔

Teddybonkers

Quote from: Rosst on 07-11-21, 09:06PM
Went for my interview, was offered the job. Sounds similar to what I do now with the coop, but mire pay plus extra pay on Sundays (although that looks to change as no one else offers that anymore)

I have read alot of bad things, but i can honestly say it sounds better than my current employer so its a no brainer same job more pay. Plus it sounds like tesco never really do 1 on 1 or even deliveroo so winning already.

The pay I was told is 11:16 for the first 3 months then i think he said 11.65 after that. Does that sound familiar. Either way better than 10:45 an hour for pretty much running a store doing conference calls to area managers at peek times which never made sense to me etc.

Wake up mate. You're going from one s*** job to another  - that's a smart move. If want to change jobs, try looking outside retail or train for something that's going to give you a decent living. Most retail jobs are dead end.

Rosst

Quote from: Teddybonkers on 09-11-21, 08:34AM
Quote from: Rosst on 07-11-21, 09:06PM
Went for my interview, was offered the job. Sounds similar to what I do now with the coop, but mire pay plus extra pay on Sundays (although that looks to change as no one else offers that anymore)

I have read alot of bad things, but i can honestly say it sounds better than my current employer so its a no brainer same job more pay. Plus it sounds like tesco never really do 1 on 1 or even deliveroo so winning already.

The pay I was told is 11:16 for the first 3 months then i think he said 11.65 after that. Does that sound familiar. Either way better than 10:45 an hour for pretty much running a store doing conference calls to area managers at peek times which never made sense to me etc.

Wake up mate. You're going from one s*** job to another  - that's a smart move. If want to change jobs, try looking outside retail or train for something that's going to give you a decent living. Most retail jobs are dead end.

With better pay, so id say that's smart. Truth is there's no great jobs out there all I've seen is care work retail or insurance not one is better than the other. Guess hgv drivers are in short supply.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Many joined Tesco because they were one of the best paid retailers and you could get full time hours and hours to work round other commitments. This has all changed in recent years now one of the worst paid and wanting people to work daft hours or no hours. I struggle to see any reason to work for Tesco other that it's close to your house now. Hospital porters get better wages.

penguin

Far better jobs out there than Tesco, I left back in 2020 and have never looked back, I now work in a factory on the goods in department, started on a production line but a few weeks ago the goods in job came up and it came with a payrise, put my application in on the Thursday started a few days later. Honestly there was a time when shift leader or team leader as it was in express was a decent job, long hours but a real chance of moving up to deputy or into large format all that has all but gone now, unless you are one of the very very lucky ones then you will remain as a shift leader long term, and as for the money its not all that when you consider what the role involves, my advice to anyone who really wants to work in food retail is join the likes of Aldi and Lidl and work your way up as very little chance to do so within Tesco or any of the other big chains like Asda, Sainsburys etc.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

I'd say as far as Retail superviser jobs go, the 2 best ones at the moment would be at Sainsbury's or M&S, Sainsbury's equivalent of a shift leader is a salaried position and is graded as well, With higher grade CTMs being equivalent of Team Manager at Superstore but on around £30k+ a year.

Department Managers at M&S last I checked are on around £28-£37k a year.

Tesco is not the same as it was 7-10 years ago, it's gone down the pan, I was overlooked for progression past shift leader for years, I got hired on a grad scheme at a big 4 consultancy and am now a VP of a public sector body making over 5x what I did as a Shift Leader. SM at the time said I'm not worth more than £26k a year, just goes to show what do the managers know lol.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: Pda-smith on 09-11-21, 12:03AM

In the express i was at the SM ended up doing all cleaning because the Assistants told him they were too busy when they got rid of the cleaner.

variablesoup

Is there much difference between Team Support in a large store and a shift leader? Same pay?

FSLOnlyMe

Quote from: stockstaffreduction on 20-09-21, 02:09PMSlighty off topic, but it would be really helpful if someone could publish a list of stores where the managers sit round in the Coffee Shop, Costa etc because I would really like a job in that shop.
Would make a nice change from a grocery cages to work, fresh to work, dotcom short, checkouts short, GM delivery 3 days late.
I think I must be in the only shop in Tesco which has these issues?

I totally agree. We have lost so many managers and the ones that are left work their asses off! As a fulfilment shift leader, I do not have manager attire but do a large amount of what managers used to do.
Our store is very short staffed with a SM who refuses so far to give hours required to effectively run the shop. If your managers are in the coffee shop on their break, then good on them, I can promise you the endless paperwork they deal with is ridiculous. If they are sat in there half the day then you have some reason to be irritated. Wish some colleagues wouldn't tar all managers with the same brush.

Redshoes

Show me the way to one of these stores. I would love to find a job that easy and have that spare time. I'm not bothered about the Costa coffee part, and I don't smoke. I would just settle for enough time in my day to do my own job.

NightAndDay

Smallest superstore in the country, the SM there jogs around the block, and is at the costa there for a good few hours a shift with some of his lead team. He always wears a suit and doesn't really do much except, well... Drinking costa.

Definitely justifies his £137k a year salary.

Redshoes

I don't understand how the smallest superstore in the country still has lead team. In my group we only now only have lead team in extra stores. The remaining few lead team were moved from smaller stores into either bigger roles or bigger stores. Some of his his lead team implies more than one.
Many many years ago I saw a swat team arrive from head office. The store manager was only ever allowed back in the store to clear his desk.  A huge change was made to management team. Some stepped down and others moved stores. The whole culture of the store changed. This store went from redundancies being offered and a poor performing store to a flagship store.
As a company we probably no longer have the swat team in head office but a bad management team will show in the figures. When under pressure colleagues will cut corners, not be fully trained in routines or just take advantage of an absent management team and this will show on reports. Measures from daily routines are tracked to within an inch of life and managers are held to account.
I have seen the swat team only once myself but I have heard of it more than that and each time there were huge changes to management team. Colleagues were out the door in at least one incident too but theft or fraud from colleagues is probably more likely to result in a Hub investigation now and I have been involved in investigating a few of them.
There have also been a few "management changes" within the group. Only those involved know the full story but one way or another people have gone. I only know that a few poorly performing managers are no longer with the company.

Sherwoodforest

Figures for the last few years are deceptive,its been easy to celebrate sales on the back of a pandemic which resulted in increased dot com and customer worry of not getting certain items,so maybe poor performing store managers have had a few years grace,as the pinch starts to bite on household bills this year it will probably start to come down to how shops are run to weed out the ones that just sit back and think its easy from an office
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

lucgeo

You'll still get the bully boy SM's who's only goal is to get their bonus by fair means or foul!
They know they're measured on performance, and therefore bully their managers to get the results! If they don't achieve the impossible, then those managers get marked down on their annual assessment!
How can there be a clear read on how the store is being run, when the assessment of each manager is done by the same person bullying them :-X
They should go back to section managers clocking in and out, to include breaks, to stop these bullies having them working over every day, and going without a break! My old SM wouldn't allow any of them to take a break if an " unannounced" visit was due that day ???
They were also frowned on, if they sat with GA's during break, as they were expected to sit on the managers table ???
They were also expected to do 2 rumbles a day, Friday and Saturday, at 12 and 4pm, no manager on early shift could go 'till all aisles rumbled and fresh, block wall rumbled, to his satisfaction  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

londoner83

Personally think every manager (store, lead and team) should have to clock in and out in the same way colleague do. However I suspect it has never been implemented as the business knows many in that category do way more hours than they are actually paid to do.

I also agree that as sales drop (as household incomes are hit by the cost of living crisis) things will get tough for stores and managers missing their targets. Colleague morale will also be hit as OT will become less and less......

And also no doubt the business will use this to accelerate the move to replace Team Managers with shift leaders.

5fdp

Just a quick question. To the stores that recently lost their nightshifts. Is the twilight fill completed by team supports running it, 2 in the morning and 2 on the backshift? I know of a Glasgow store that does this. Is fresh filled in the morning and ambient in the afternoon? And when do the majority shifts start, I heard that the backshift starts at 6pm. I take it that the majority of shifts are less than 26 hrs per week?

Redshoes

We lost night shift years ago. It's either a manager or shift lead that is lone duty manager. Depends on hols etc when only one manager in the building but there are days when it's only one all day. TW start from 1330 for us. We have one or two that come in early and do back stock. Second wave start at about 1430 and then third at 1630. Delivery can turn up from about 1400 onwards but if late it's a problem. Delivery probably not finished if it turns up after 1800. It's never finished on a Saturday but then there is no delivery on Sunday. Sunday trading hours for us are 0800-2200. When I worked in England years ago the Sunday was the catch up day as shorter trading hours and longer tw fill after shop closed.

Tesc0Wow

I'm a large store shift lead. Our store is run on twilights as has for a while. Fresh is filled in the morning, grocery in the evening. Normally one shift lead in morning 05-14 and one 15-00 in the evening. I tend to do evenings and will often be on my own from 5 or 6. It's a big role as I have to take duty, run the replen, do backdoor, Marshal cages for fill and fill as well. Honestly it's a huge role and I don't think it's that well established right now exactly what our responsibilities are unlike in express...

GeneralDogsbody

I'm in exactly the same position as you.  Sometimes have a mid shift lead but never at the weekends recently due to other S/L leaving.  Thinking of following suit!

Tesc0Wow

Yeah shift lead turnover is so high, but I'm not surprised there's so much to learn so quickly and the training is c**p. in my opinion it should be a role between Team Support and manager (like it basically is already) with pay to reflect that.

lackofinterest

more fool anybody who applies for shift leader role. tosco are looking for these mugs!!!

VladPutin

Quote from: Redshoes on 18-06-22, 08:22AMI don't understand how the smallest superstore in the country still has lead team. In my group we only now only have lead team in extra stores. The remaining few lead team were moved from smaller stores into either bigger roles or bigger stores. Some of his his lead team implies more than one.
Many many years ago I saw a swat team arrive from head office. The store manager was only ever allowed back in the store to clear his desk.  A huge change was made to management team. Some stepped down and others moved stores. The whole culture of the store changed. This store went from redundancies being offered and a poor performing store to a flagship store.
As a company we probably no longer have the swat team in head office but a bad management team will show in the figures. When under pressure colleagues will cut corners, not be fully trained in routines or just take advantage of an absent management team and this will show on reports. Measures from daily routines are tracked to within an inch of life and managers are held to account.
I have seen the swat team only once myself but I have heard of it more than that and each time there were huge changes to management team. Colleagues were out the door in at least one incident too but theft or fraud from colleagues is probably more likely to result in a Hub investigation now and I have been involved in investigating a few of them.
There have also been a few "management changes" within the group. Only those involved know the full story but one way or another people have gone. I only know that a few poorly performing managers are no longer with the company.

"SWAT team"? Head office staff couldn't swat flies!  :D  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk