Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:28PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 277
Total: 279

Check out Operators & Coronavirus?

Started by delightful-donuts, 12-03-20, 06:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delightful-donuts

??? Cant seem go find any information about Tesco's policy on this, and in my store theres No hand gel provided and
No opportunity to 'frequently' wash our hands

What exactly  is the policy for 'protecting' staff??

Hammer10

They don’t care about staff.

londoner83

Update came down on comms yesterday

Mathias casablancas

Yeah I have found the response pretty bad to be honest. I was at Aldi the other night and the cashiers each had a big bottle on their till. Fair few of the cashiers at my store are nearing retirement and few have had some bad health issues................... now handling money, face to face with endless customers , handling thousands of items each day. To have to do this with no hand gel provided is  terrible.

On the shop floor a customer in your face every 30 seconds because most of the shelves are empty so the risk is there aswell.

The only good thing they have done in my store which has surprised me is they seem to be throwing alot of overtime at the situation- before Coronavirus they were being extremely tight with overtime. I suppose they can afford it though its busier than the run up to xmas at the moment. Coronavirus seems to be damaging all business apart from Supermarkets , sales must be through the roof at the moment and they cant spend the money to source stuff to protect staff?

CLEARERskies

Just going to jump on this post with my experience this week..
I had a customer complain a few days ago about a colleague who wouldn’t put money in the palm of her hand and instead on the conveyor belt. I explained that due to circumstances at the minute the colleague was just being extra cautious and wasn’t insinuating anything, to which she replied ‘bad customer service’ ‘you should still put my money in my hands’
All colleagues were given a bottle of anti bac gel before we sold out however I understand the colleagues worry as some customers who come through are downright disgusting.
How do you approach something like this when there is absolutely no guidance?

Teddybonkers

Lets face it, no amount of Anti-Bac gel is gonna help, if you find yourself in the way of a flying BLOB from one of our infected customers. :P

Redshoes

There has been a few briefs come down. There is a supply of anti-bac gel on the way. It is predominately for checkouts and desks as other people will find it easier to wash hands which is better but shop floor can have the gel too if they want. We have a picture of the box and what to look out for on the delivery. Other than that it will depend on stock still available to colleagues. We are using the hand sanitisers wipes available for candy King sweets. There are also trolley wipes on the way.
There are almost daily updates coming down, loads of them. It sounds like not all being passed on in store.
Money is dirty, always has been dirty. Not sure if able to catch the virus off money though. A lot of transactions are by card in these days and we no longer have to touch people's cards. I just don't see the difference between money and goods, how far do you take this. If someone has the virus and you are putting the shopping through the till I question the difference between handling money and handling goods they have loaded into trolley on the way round or the interaction of just serving them.
As I have said. Money is dirty but I don't think it's been highlighted as something to avoid. I have not seen anything saying to use bank cards only to minimise infection. It's more along the lines of avoiding crowded areas. A shop could be classed as this but that's an individual choice. If you decide you should not go into work you will be under normal sick pay conditions but if you use up your sick pay now when you are not I'll, just worried that you could be ill, you may actually need it later on. We are not dr's and we can't make that decision for others. I just personally think that the interaction with customers and fellow colleagues is a higher risk than handling money, if you are going to worry about risks.
The risk of holidays abroad and the bugs people bring back has been proven to be a much bigger issue. I bet these same people who don't want to handle money would complain bitterly if the holiday abroad was cancelled.

Walker

The coronavirus remains on surfaces for many hours and so could be caught from money but, realistically, is mainly caught by airborne transmission.

Edit to add: I think the government will soon change advice to not going to work when you have symptoms of a cold or flu. That's reasonable. Just deciding to isolate yourself from others for the next year until there is a vaccine probably isn't realistic for most people.

Morris999

I’m sure as part of one of the briefs this week it said that if a cashier was particularly concerned about working on the checkouts because of underlying health concerns the company would look at moving them to the shop floor temporarily to support them.

There is also a set of procedures come down this week regarding the virus  to follow if any colleague is suspected of having the virus or is self isolating following advice from health professionals.
Group PP has to be told daily of any cases and they communicate to HO all the details.
So colleagues might find themselves being questioned quite in-depth regarding this and contacted by phone a lot more than normal!

Before the colleague returns there is a special WB form to go through over the phone if the virus is suspected and if they do not meet the government advice they won’t be allowed back into work I believe.

People are saying put hand sanitizers on every checkout but the reality of it is, that someone has already stolen the ones in our store that have been given out to CSD and PFS(could be colleague’s or customers), and speaking to a local NHS worker the bottles that they have around the wards are mysteriously disappearing during visiting hours!

How long do you think the ones on every checkout would last

lucgeo

Quote from: CLEARERskies on 12-03-20, 11:28AM
Just going to jump on this post with my experience this week..
I had a customer complain a few days ago about a colleague who wouldn’t put money in the palm of her hand and instead on the conveyor belt. I explained that due to circumstances at the minute the colleague was just being extra cautious and wasn’t insinuating anything, to which she replied ‘bad customer service’ ‘you should still put my money in my hands’
All colleagues were given a bottle of anti bac gel before we sold out however I understand the colleagues worry as some customers who come through are downright disgusting.
How do you approach something like this when there is absolutely no guidance?

Unsure what the checkout operators stance is there  ??? The money from the till drawer is already contaminated from constant use, if the customer has handed over cash, then the operator has taken it out of her hand, so why refuse to place in the same hand the change  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

sensible_woman

Does anyone know what measures are in place for shelf fillers who are immunosupressed or have underlying health issues. We touch stuff all night that customers pick up and put down or pass us coughing. 

Walker

I think that the first step would be to contact your doctor for advice.

This epidemic is likely to last at least 4 months. My understanding is that at the height of the epidemic people with significant health issues such as yours will be asked to isolate themselves for a period of between 1 month and 2 months but that this may change. Some small number of people may be best off isolating themselves now.

I am sorry, this is a particularly bad period for you. I wish I could be more helpful.

Bacons

Remember everyone, all colleagues must be wearing a headset   :D

Mcdawg

Could I be disciplined if I refuse to attend checkout service calls, my girlfriend is 29 weeks pregnant and it scares me that she could catch it.

Welshie

Is pregnancy an at risk factor . The virus goes for your chest so people with chest/heart condition and other conditions that can affect lungs /heart like diabetes,  asthma etc are higher risk .
I understand your concern but wash your hands thoroughly before you go home .

lucgeo

Quote from: Mcdawg on 12-03-20, 09:34PM
Could I be disciplined if I refuse to attend checkout service calls, my girlfriend is 29 weeks pregnant and it scares me that she could catch it.

Express your concerns to your line manager...the ball then ends up in their court...are they going to tell you to answer the call or not, the responsibility is then on them.
Is your partner self isolating ?

Mathias casablancas

I read that there is some concern for pregnant women because they have a lower immune system.
Do you think checkouts are more at risk of catching it though?

Shazzy

Should we not now be asking customers to stand away from staff at self service - we are being put at even more risk from being coughed on and getting droplets of covid in our face! :(

VladPutin

Quote from: delightful-donuts on 12-03-20, 06:49AM
??? Cant seem go find any information about Tesco's policy on this, and in my store theres No hand gel provided and
No opportunity to 'frequently' wash our hands

What exactly  is the policy for 'protecting' staff??

You think Tesco actually has a policy for protecting staff? You're adorable! >:D

Tesco would expect us to work as normal if the virus really was turning people into flesh-eating Zombies. 8-)

kaled78

we have noticed less people using self serve,due to the touchscreen

sunshineman

My wife is worried about being sacked. Her doctor has said when it starts coming into the area more because we do have it then she is at high risk due to c o p d. it says on the news when they bring this over 70 isolation in, then it can also include people who have health issues. it has not been confirm yet but they are saying they have to stay in isolation for four months. her doctor has said she should keep away from people when it hits the area hard. but, she is worried she will not be paid from Tesco if she takes time off, and she is worried that when she returns she will be sacked. she is prepared to put Tesco before her life because she is worried about the financial implications and being sacked. she only has around four years left before she retires

lucgeo

8-) that is such a shame 8-)

Her health comes first...she won't be sacked...she has a medical condition that warrants her isolation...the medical notes are her backup, she should contact the citizens advice or DHSS for advice.

Eb2b

sunshineman My guess she would be offered lifestyle break so tosco will not have to pay her and she won't have to worrie about being sacked. It's a shame they don't pay employees enough to afford to take lifestyle breaks

Daredevil

I'm at the point where I don't care about what management say.They don't care about our health so why should I have to take 'wet' money from someone's snotty hand!!!

Tossgo

I don’t get the issue... if anyone has a problem with working within this environment.... ring the sick phone and tell them “I have a new cough” and “my temperature is high”.
You are then to stay off work for a minimum of 7 days, you will be paid from DAY ONE and it will NOT be added to your absence percentage when you return, as it’s Coronavirus related.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk