News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-05-24, 12:16AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,908
  • Latest: Old man
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,562
  • Total Topics: 647
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 635
Total: 636

Pay review 2023

Started by person7, 05-02-23, 02:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redeo

Quote from: SAMCRO on 18-02-24, 05:58PMSpoke to a few union reps from different stores today. They've all been told March 5th 10am is the official release of the pay briefing.

I reckon £12 an hour with Sunday and Bank Holiday premiums gone.
Won't be gone like that. A rumour at my store is Sunday and Bank Holidays will be protected for 18-24 months then they will go. Tesco will need time to hire some new stuff because there like 40% of staff working checkouts at my store are only doing it for sunday premium an aren't contracted. I know they will need to two new team leaders for sunday as neither of our current ones are contracted and only do it for the premium.

Hammer10

Also a lot of bakers may drop Sundays as well so that's another one added to the list.

grim up north

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 20-02-24, 10:46AM13 weeks notice for managers is harsh if looking for alternate jobs elsewhere,what employer wpuld want to wait 3 monthes,plus thats 3 monthes of the manager thinking i cant be bothered anymore
What happens if a night manager leaves then before 13 weeks notice?

rupert7

f a night manager decides to leave before the 13-week notice period, there are a few important points to consider:

Notice Period:
Generally, when an employee resigns, they are required to provide notice to their employer. The length of the notice period depends on various factors, including the employment contract and local regulations.
In the United Kingdom, if you've been in your job for more than a month, you must give at least one week's notice1. However, specific notice periods can vary based on individual contracts.
Negotiating Notice Period:
While your contract may specify a certain notice period, it's possible to negotiate with your employer to reduce it.
Some employees have successfully negotiated shorter notice periods, especially if both parties agree that it's not in anyone's interest for the employee to work the full notice.
This negotiation could result in gardening leave, where the employer instructs the employee not to work part or all of their notice period. This is often done to prevent access to sensitive or confidential information that could be used in a new job2.
Unfair Dismissal:
If an employer insists on making an employee leave earlier than their notice period, it technically counts as sacking the employee.
In such cases, the employee should check if they can claim unfair dismissal.

barafear

Are Pharmacy managers hard to recruit?

From Sky News:

Other "signing on" bonuses outside of healthcare include...

£1,200 for a coach driver at Megabus
£6,000 for a pharmacy manager at Tesco"

JJH

I think they're hard to retain, if they're not fussy about the hours they work then being a locum is far more lucrative

NightAndDay

Quote from: Voulezvous on 20-02-24, 10:35PMIf the managers are getting a bonus and the night managers are getting an increase to their night premium then surely its only fair general assistants get the same
Tescos bonus scheme is generous, but I must say the crab mentality between hourly paid store colleagues and salaried managers in the store part of the business is mostly unwarranted, the majority of them earn below the average salary, the bonus would put them just above it in a lot of cases.

Hourly paid CA's I'd say should get some recognition for work, maybe a performance related bonus, Shift Leaders are managers in all but name and definitely should get a bonus (Express ones anyway, SS ones are glorified shelf fillers).

Store side managers are paid a lot less than their non-store based counterparts.

madness

How do you performance rate someone sitting on a checkout? speed of items put through will equal less customer service, going for service feedback will result in fake reviews from family and friends.
Fillers on the ailes x ammount of cages per shift thy will just avoid rotation (more than they do now) and ram stuff on the shelf.
Hourly paid colleagues are expected to achieve a minimum base level of work. Hit that and you dont get managed out. And that bar is VERY low.

Managers need to hit impossible targets for shrink, fill expectations all of which are usually caused by stock not coming in the back door anyway.

lackofinterest

its always been of my opinion that a lot if not most of shrink is stuff which doesn't even arrive at the stores

1982dave

Agreed I'm going back a few years 2018-2019 the one modern stocktake my store and others in  area were thousands of pounds down but local depot aparently was up a hell of a lot of money

lackofinterest

Quote from: SAMCRO on 18-02-24, 05:58PMSpoke to a few union reps from different stores today. They've all been told March 5th 10am is the official release of the pay briefing.

I reckon £12 an hour with Sunday and Bank Holiday premiums gone.
i think it's a total lack of respect towards staff of any company not to be paid a premium for sunday work. company greed plays the part in that

SAMCRO

The culture at Tesco has gone very soft. GAs cannot be performance managed anymore. Fear of pulling the mental health card and the protector line.  Also departments are manned to an absolute minimum in most store so if you upset a colleague and they go off long term sick you are stuffed.

I am a GA. Been with the company for almost 2 decades. Used to be a team leader for a few years until the role was cut. Used to go above and beyond. Then I woke up and realised I was not thought of or treated any better than colleagues who done the absolute bare minimum.

Now I do the bare minimum. Just enough to keep the wolves off my back. It all depends store to store - in my experience team managers are very well paid. £35K+ a year - No early or late shifts, they have shift leaders now running around running the stores. Team managers rarely seen on the shop floor.

I am aware that not every store is like this but plenty are. The culture at Tesco has drastically changed. Since 2016 with all the role cuts a wealth of experience and leadership has gone out the door.

A lot of GAs are barely making a living, I work in a large superstore 20,000sqft and we only have 2 full time GAs. Produce, GM and H&B all only have 1 colleague working at any given time. There are times in the day when there is actually no one working the department.  There is never any OT, unless there is a visit of course. How can management and Tesco as a company expect loyalty and graft from part time workers. Many of us have second jobs.

Tesco have no choice but to stick with low contracted flexibity working because they simply cannot afford to pay trolley staff £12 an hour for 36.5hrs a week. £438 for collecting trolleys having a laugh.

It's not going to get any better. Enjoy the ride.

lackofinterest

i think "cannot afford" is the wrong wording to use  8-)

Teddybonkers

"Can't afford to pay (trolley) staff 12 quid an hour" :D . You must be having a laugh. They're only making a Billion+ clear profit every year. I'm afraid you must be the one going soft ! 8-)

Loki

Quote from: SAMCRO on 23-02-24, 12:24PMThe culture at Tesco has gone very soft. GAs cannot be performance managed anymore. Fear of pulling the mental health card and the protector line.  Also departments are manned to an absolute minimum in most store so if you upset a colleague and they go off long term sick you are stuffed.

I am a GA. Been with the company for almost 2 decades. Used to be a team leader for a few years until the role was cut. Used to go above and beyond. Then I woke up and realised I was not thought of or treated any better than colleagues who done the absolute bare minimum.

Now I do the bare minimum. Just enough to keep the wolves off my back. It all depends store to store - in my experience team managers are very well paid. £35K+ a year - No early or late shifts, they have shift leaders now running around running the stores. Team managers rarely seen on the shop floor.

I am aware that not every store is like this but plenty are. The culture at Tesco has drastically changed. Since 2016 with all the role cuts a wealth of experience and leadership has gone out the door.

A lot of GAs are barely making a living, I work in a large superstore 20,000sqft and we only have 2 full time GAs. Produce, GM and H&B all only have 1 colleague working at any given time. There are times in the day when there is actually no one working the department.  There is never any OT, unless there is a visit of course. How can management and Tesco as a company expect loyalty and graft from part time workers. Many of us have second jobs.

Tesco have no choice but to stick with low contracted flexibity working because they simply cannot afford to pay trolley staff £12 an hour for 36.5hrs a week. £438 for collecting trolleys having a laugh.

I disagree that colleagues pull the so called "mental health card". You've stated yourself that departments are staffed at the bare minimum ... Colleagues are increasingly subjected to unrealistic targets and relentless pressure... especially since the introduction of Work and Pay.
I don't see the company having "gone soft". In fact it's the complete opposite.

That and the erosion of terms and conditions over the last decade or so.

As for fear of colleagues contacting the Protector Line... is it any wonder given the toxic environment that many have to work in? That and the increase in abuse from customers.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

BritishRacingGreen

jm876546886

Quote from: rupert7 on 20-02-24, 08:02PMat the end of the day we have all been screwed over by tesco and  USDAW may be we need to send a claer to them both enough is enough?
Once again it is the usdaw members who do not respond to say review questionnaire that are the problem I have over 500 staff in my store yet only 23 of then bothered to respond to the day review questionnaire.

SAMCRO

If GAs are feeling pressured then they need to take a step back. You cannot be performance managed anymore. Only way to be dismissed is gross misconduct or falling foul of the absence policy.

SDs, Store Managers, Team Managers and Shift Leaders are all cutting more corners than Lewis Hamilton, just to keep all their heads above water every day.

Lowest paid colleagues have nothing to worry about.

londoner83

You can as a GA be managed thru supporting your performance however you need to have constant reviews, be offered coaching and extra training and have reasonable adjustments factored in if you mention any health issue.

Net result hardly anyone bothers to use the policy, and unless the entire store does anyone can claim victimisation.

SAMCRO

I've not had a review for 13years. I can't even remember the number of managers I've had in that time.

General Thorn

Quote from: Loki on 23-02-24, 04:01PM
Quote from: SAMCRO on 23-02-24, 12:24PMThe culture at Tesco has gone very soft. GAs cannot be performance managed anymore. Fear of pulling the mental health card and the protector line.  Also departments are manned to an absolute minimum in most store so if you upset a colleague and they go off long term sick you are stuffed.

I disagree that colleagues pull the so called "mental health card". You've stated yourself that departments are staffed at the bare minimum ... Colleagues are increasingly subjected to unrealistic targets and relentless pressure... especially since the introduction of Work and Pay.
I don't see the company having "gone soft". In fact it's the complete opposite.

That and the erosion of terms and conditions over the last decade or so.

As for fear of colleagues contacting the Protector Line... is it any wonder given the toxic environment that many have to work in? That and the increase in abuse from customers.
Well said. I wasn't sure if SAMCRO was supporting Tesco and all the cutbacks and bullying culture that goes on or was supporting colleagues who have seen their day to day work getting harder and less achievable. My dept used to have 3 or 4 people working twilight but now there is just 1 and the same amount of work to do. No wonder people have a 'do what I can and never mind the rest' attitude.

I don't agree that the company has 'gone soft' but whatever is wrong with working for a company that values you and does not have unrealistic demands made of you. You should not come to work to be stressed and abused by customers.

As for Tesco not being able to afford to pay £438 a week for someone to collect trollies, you're having a laugh. Every colleague in Tesco is important and would be well worth that. Sadly very few are on full time hours so could only dream about earning that amount.

londoner83

I do wonder why we haven't adopted the aldi/lidl model of you want a trolley you collect it yourself.

oldfashionedplayer

whether this is correct i dunno i just threw into ai.. lol,

they gave a 7% increase before and that cost them 230m they said, so if they did the same again of 7% so the wage was £11.79 thats again most likely another £230m, for what they say of about 300k colleagues, if they increased it to £12.00 per hour, that's an increase instead of 8.89% which would cost them it seems £250m?  so a difference of 20million... literally change of what they spend on useless stuff to be honest.

also in regards to the aldi/lidl model of collect yourself.. you kinda do in a lot of stores... most have trolley points outside not in now, you go grab a trolley with a coin which makes people put the trolleys back in the spots, whereas your bigger ones usually just have trolley people putting them closer to the door, so they could ideally switch over to the coins in all and that'd probably save them too for the ASBO issues with kids and replacement issues with people just throwing them here there and everywhere..

in terms of the managing your performance, its a legal thing too that a company has to show they've tried everything, typically it can take up to a YEAR to actually get someone out based on performance, because it's not just about "oh they are terrible  lets sack them" its a case of "oh balls, is everything followed by the book, is everything done right, is it actually something everyone can do", "do they need extra help? if so why haven't they been offered it"

there is MANY things a company has to cover themselves on, it's not just the "OH NO, MY MENTAL HEALTH" - The Company definitely contributes though a HELL of a lot to peoples terrible mental health etc but it's more about EQUALITY of trying to find SOMETHING for them before the last case being sacking... so yes.. its a LONG long LOOOOOOOONG process with a lot of steps to try and follow and any screwup leaves the not only the company to a Settlement / lawsuit, but also impact the Management doing it etc cause they'll be the ones taking the blame... All without the media being involved.. if they get involved then that's not going to end well at all either...

So RIP to whoever has to do it for someone, but also with how the company is and puts people in the situation, the only way it's going to go is for the employee in my opinion.

grim up north

M&S staff getting £12 per hour from April

fatlad

Gotta be the same for us in next week's announcement. Its now Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys & M&S who have gone to £12 in either Feb or March so would look very bad on Tesco if they don't at least match it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk