News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

26-04-24, 09:42AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: BB41
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,417
  • Total Topics: 639
  • Online today: 746
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Pay review 2023

Started by person7, 05-02-23, 02:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmerFred

Quote from: NightAndDay on 13-02-23, 12:06PMTime during strike action for strikers is often reimbursed to workers by the union so they can afford to go on strike, though not all unions do this.
strike pay for USDAW is £50/week - there's quite a few folk who would struggle at that.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Andi on 12-02-23, 09:37PMThe simple fact is USDAW have no bargaining power hence why we are losing everything.  We were in the canteen the other night and our union rep was sitting in the corner and we knew he was there, we were discussing the possibility of losing night shift premiums and Sun premiums and what those who worked Sat night might do and us who work the other nights might do as well.  We might be getting a raise to £11 an hour but we are still losing money and we also said that at every pay review we have lost something and the union was useless.  Our rep got up and was angry at what we were saying and shouted at us about how the pay review was only agreed 6 weeks ago and we are speculating about what it is after reading about it on this page.  We told him we know its speculation and we are allowed to discuss what may come.

Personally I think the union is rubbish and we need the same union as the HGV drivers as usdaw have no bargaining power and in my experience are rubbish in meetings as well.  It's like they are in Tesco's back pocket.

What do you want then, No union at all? We would all be working in similar ways to Amazon workers if that was the case. A union is only as powerful as its members make it and what except moan and groan do you do to help the cause?

People like you make me mad, complain about everything and expect others to sort it out, I hope you have left the union with your depth of feeling otherwise you are a total hypocrite.

penguin

In Usdaws case when it comes to retail staff in Tesco it does not matter how many members it has or how loud the voices are thanks to the partnership the union is little more than a nodding dog that goes along with Tescos tune.

Came across some great reps in my many years working for Tesco but above them the union are a disgrace when it comes to Tesco, and it was put in our store forum many times could we have a say on if the partenrship should continue, guess what thrown out every single time without so much as a debate on the matter.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Doggiedoodle

Quote from: forrestgimp on 13-02-23, 04:57PM
Quote from: Andi on 12-02-23, 09:37PMThe simple fact is USDAW have no bargaining power hence why we are losing everything.  We were in the canteen the other night and our union rep was sitting in the corner and we knew he was there, we were discussing the possibility of losing night shift premiums and Sun premiums and what those who worked Sat night might do and us who work the other nights might do as well.  We might be getting a raise to £11 an hour but we are still losing money and we also said that at every pay review we have lost something and the union was useless.  Our rep got up and was angry at what we were saying and shouted at us about how the pay review was only agreed 6 weeks ago and we are speculating about what it is after reading about it on this page.  We told him we know its speculation and we are allowed to discuss what may come.

Personally I think the union is rubbish and we need the same union as the HGV drivers as usdaw have no bargaining power and in my experience are rubbish in meetings as well.  It's like they are in Tesco's back pocket.

What do you want then, No union at all? We would all be working in similar ways to Amazon workers if that was the case. A union is only as powerful as its members make it and what except moan and groan do you do to help the cause?

People like you make me mad, complain about everything and expect others to sort it out, I hope you have left the union with your depth of feeling otherwise you are a total hypocrite.
If you're answering my comment YES I did send them a email and told them exactly what I thought about them in no uncertain terms! And yes everyone would be better off without them because Tesco put money in their back pockets to get what they want... and by the way people like you make me sick no one is moaning and groaning just stating facts! 🤬🤬

universe

How do you leave the union ?

Doggiedoodle

I emailed them! If you google USDAW their page comes up with email address and phone number.

forrestgimp

Quote from: universe on 13-02-23, 07:09PMHow do you leave the union ?

Just phone them and tell them you want to leave.

rebel123

The problem with udaw is the do not discuss anything with there members and basically agree to tescos demands all unions should discuss pay and conditions with there members and allow there members to either accept or reject offers until this happens I will not join

Hammer10

We gave up our rights years ago time to have a new vote on our terms and conditions so we get the right back to vote on it then maybe uselessdaw might get more members.

Cbatt566

There are some shocking comments on here. Absolutely no union member or representative of them should be slating any non-union member. The union is a choice! Yes, you read correctly, a choice! And in fact, think about it... USDAW need to work on keeping members during a cost of living crisis, cancelling membership or just general uptake must be at an all time low! They need to ask what the cost benefit is to members... do they want to be throwing money away in this current climate? I wouldn't...

fatlad

This thread has turned into a debate about the Union instead of the 2023 pay review as in the title.

Nomad

fatlad is correct please return to Pay review 2023.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

madness

Very well.
What have THE UNION proposed to Tesco is the 2023 pay increase?

Funny how all the other unions can bargain for 10% against their public service counterparts but an actual profitable company that can raise prices with inflation and is part of the inflation problem can't get a slice of that increased revenue for its staff.
Especially seeing as 2-3 years ago we were equal in the eyes of the public to the health service.

Sherwoodforest

I wouldnt say or even think equal,yes essential worker but no way equal,thats absurd
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

londoner83

Food inflation is running at around 15%, inflation in general is over 10% so as a minimum USDAW should be aiming for double digits.

randomworker

Slipping back into the union talk again  ;D

You will get around £10.90ph - £11.00ph. The ideal would have had the increase in our March wage slips but this can be pushed out to the April wage slip because they would still met the Gov living wage starting on April 1st

People wanting double digit wage increases are living in cuckoo land as the industry does not have the room for those increases and no way Tesco are gonna pay more than Aldi  :D

barafear

I'd hate to be defeatist, but expecting 10% increase (in one go) is not living in the "Tesco World" - even if you think it might be "in the real world"
Over the last couple of years, the pay reviews have been a bit haphazard - and the latest "additional" 20p we got in November was fairly ridiculous in my mind - in fact, if they had just made it a decent amount - in order to justify the expense of advising/advertising/making posters about it - and then updating pay systems etc. - then Tesco wouldn't be in the pickle that it is in now - i.e. not having the wriggle room - which they've used in the past three or four years - to delay any "announced pay rise" to later in the year - so because our current pay of £10.30 is below the upcoming change to the NLW (£10.42 from 1st April) - then Tesco are forced to announce an increase before then.
They do still have that option of giving us an immediate 20p again - and then announce a second increase later in the year - but given so many rivals are already paying £11 an hour, I do think this time Tesco will play ball - and just have the one increase and implement it from March probably - they're not leaving much room for manoeuvre -
However, the problem is that as so many rivals have made the first move, Tesco are only obliged to "match" them rather than being able to boast - even if only for a short time - as being the highest paying supermarket - so unfortunately, it does seem that a new base rate of £11 - £11.10 is on the cards - and even that might be at the expense of premiums being cut.

One thing that hasn't been discussed - probably because it won't happen! - is that Tesco do have the option to offer us a more generous discount scheme - last year, they upped the limit to £1500 per year - but clearly, this only benefits those with "larger families" - or perversely, it also benefits the better paid (e.g. senior management or directors) who could afford to buy a trolley full of Tesco finest items or expensive non-food items.

The obvious improvements to the discount scheme could be extending the 15% discount to 7 days per "pay period" rather than 4 - it's not a massive improvement - but would mean 91 days a year at 15% rather than the current 52.
Of course, increasing discount permanently to 15% would be a better option - for staff - but unlikely to happen.

Maybe even encouraging us to use Clubcard Pay + (to get the extra discounts on there) - maybe allowing us to pay £3.99 a month rather than £7.99?

There are some non-pay stuff they could do - but ultimately the pay will be the major factor - and Tesco will be keen to not be the only supermarket not paying £11 - so that's very likely to be where they go - but not much higher.

barafear

ooops - looked like my reply was similar to someone else's whilst I was writing.

lackofinterest

tosco shop floor workers are not valued one bit by murphy. he will only pay us what he must legally otherwise less bonus and profits for him and his rich friends at top. f*** discount, spend elsewhere!

Morris999

Tesco has sent Comms down today regarding the king's coronation in which it states that colleagues will get time and a quarter, so looks like bank holiday premiums are untouched in the pay review.
However knowing how Tesco HO departments refuse to speak to each other It could be that the department responsible for the king's coronation haven't been told the outcome or intended outcome yet!

Fair play

Quote from: FarmerFred on 13-02-23, 02:37PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 13-02-23, 12:06PMTime during strike action for strikers is often reimbursed to workers by the union so they can afford to go on strike, though not all unions do this.
strike pay for USDAW is £50/week - there's quite a few folk who would struggle at that.
Quote from: Morris999 on 14-02-23, 08:41PMTesco has sent Comms down today regarding the king's coronation in which it states that colleagues will get time and a quarter, so looks like bank holiday premiums are untouched in the pay review.
However knowing how Tesco HO departments refuse to speak to each other It could be that the department responsible for the king's coronation haven't been told the outcome or intended outcome yet!
Quote from: barafear on 14-02-23, 06:39PMooops - looked like my reply was similar to someone else's whilst I was writing.
Quote from: barafear on 14-02-23, 06:39PMooops - looked like my reply was similar to someone else's whilst I was writing.

oldfashionedplayer

My guess is that the premiums will be untouched until November as a "good faith" then as they do, a general increase of pay instead and they'll market that as "a great benefit".

So be like £10.60 + premium then after November £11.10 no premium.

Fair play

When does our discount start  from . Is it January

forrestgimp

Quote from: rebel123 on 14-02-23, 08:29AMThe problem with udaw is the do not discuss anything with there members and basically agree to tescos demands all unions should discuss pay and conditions with there members and allow there members to either accept or reject offers until this happens I will not join

Yea thats not true either, the store forum is your chance to put across your opinions or do you expect a ballot of every member every time?

What i am against is the partnership agreement that was signed by people who more than likely stopped working for Tesco years ago and yet we are still bound by it.

Quote from: madness on 14-02-23, 11:48AMVery well.
What have THE UNION proposed to Tesco is the 2023 pay increase?

Funny how all the other unions can bargain for 10% against their public service counterparts but an actual profitable company that can raise prices with inflation and is part of the inflation problem can't get a slice of that increased revenue for its staff.
Especially seeing as 2-3 years ago we were equal in the eyes of the public to the health service.

I dont get your argument, all you want it for the union to argue for something Tesco will never agree to in a million years?

lackofinterest

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 14-02-23, 08:56PMMy guess is that the premiums will be untouched until November as a "good faith" then as they do, a general increase of pay instead and they'll market that as "a great benefit".

So be like £10.60 + premium then after November £11.10 no premium.
nobody should work bank holidays, sundays, or nights if that is the case. f*** em!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk