News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:33PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 295
Total: 299

Staff room hygiene questions

Started by person7, 15-01-23, 11:01AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestgimp

Quote from: 2ndtimeround on 15-02-23, 03:45PM
Quote from: randomworker on 15-02-23, 12:36PMyou both seem to have missed the first sentence by @2ndtimeround. which they said "Yes it is Tesco policy to clean up after yourself.

So eat and use as many dishes, tables, cups and cutlery you want and dribble as you go but just clean it up after  :P

I guess you still think it's your mothers job to clean your mess up at home. 🤷🏻�♂️

Not really, you seem to enjoy missing the point altogether.

Well, we have 2 dishwashers in the canteen and if as you say we all have to clean up after ourselves in our own time do we...

1. wait for the dishwasher to be full for however long that takes so it can do a full cycle cleaning as many pots as possible.

or

2. Put our own cups and if you use one plate into the dishwasher and set it going thus forcing every one else to wait in turn for hours before they too can clean their pots and utensils.

then there is the replenishment of the bread and other food items that are provided, do we also do that in our own time or do we each individually go take items from the shop floor for our own use?

you need to make your self clear on what cleaning up after ourselves looks like.

Cleaning things in the sink is not going to happen because the hot water is scolding and there is nothing to clean the pots and pans with. Not to mention the huge queue of people waiting in line to do theirs also all within the 15 min window of opportunity.

Sherwoodforest

I can get my 2 year old grand daughter to put her own toys away,maybe shake yourself and realise how stupid you sound asking how to clean up,how do some people get through life is beyond me
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

BritishRacingGreen

:thumbup:
Even my dog puts his blankie back on his bed ...

randomworker

Quote from: forrestgimp on 16-02-23, 08:33AM
Quote from: randomworker on 15-02-23, 12:36PMyou both seem to have missed the first sentence by @2ndtimeround. which they said "Yes it is Tesco policy to clean up after yourself.

So eat and use as many dishes, tables, cups and cutlery you want and dribble as you go but just clean it up after  :P

I guess you still think it's your mothers job to clean your mess up at home. 🤷🏻�♂️

Not really, you seem to enjoy missing the point altogether.

Well, we have 2 dishwashers in the canteen and if as you say we all have to clean up after ourselves in our own time do we...

1. wait for the dishwasher to be full for however long that takes so it can do a full cycle cleaning as many pots as possible.

or

2. Put our own cups and if you use one plate into the dishwasher and set it going thus forcing every one else to wait in turn for hours before they too can clean their pots and utensils.

then there is the replenishment of the bread and other food items that are provided, do we also do that in our own time or do we each individually go take items from the shop floor for our own use?

you need to make your self clear on what cleaning up after ourselves looks like.

Cleaning things in the sink is not going to happen because the hot water is scolding and there is nothing to clean the pots and pans with. Not to mention the huge queue of people waiting in line to do theirs also all within the 15 min window of opportunity.

I'm sorry you're making this into something really complicated and throwing common sense out the window.

I will put my dirty cup away by putting it in the dishwasher and If dishwasher is full I will turn it on.

if I was so pedantic about paid and unpaid times then I will do it on the company time after I finish my break.

If I'm so pedantic about who is to clean what and proper training to do it then I will leave what mess and inform shift leader after my break.

All these decisions good and bad take a few seconds to execute one way or another. Anything more is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: forrestgimp on 16-02-23, 08:33AM

Pots and pans? You have pots and pans??
What on earth do you use these for in your "15 min window of opportunity"?

forrestgimp

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 16-02-23, 08:57AMI can get my 2 year old grand daughter to put her own toys away,maybe shake yourself and realise how stupid you sound asking how to clean up,how do some people get through life is beyond me

Again, are being deliberately obtuse or are you genuinely stupid?

Sherwoodforest

@forrestgimp tesco also provide uniform,would you like a valet to also dress you or train you to dress yourself,its cups and plates for crying out loud,clean as you go,simple to everyone with an ounce of sense
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

FarmerFred

Employers are required to provide a clean environment for rest breaks, along with water and facilities for heating water and food. They are not required to supply crockery, cutlery, etc. Whatever facilities are provided need to be hygienic and cleaned to a high standard, but the rules and guidance do not say how this is to be achieved only that the employer is responsible for ensuring that standards are maintained.

My own personal take is that placing a cup in a dishwasher takes seconds, as does rinsing a plate & putting it in - less time than the average worker spends picking their nose, checking their phone, gossiping or dawdling during a shift & so is irrelevant. Filling or emptying the dishwasher takes a couple of minutes & so should be done on company time - some stores I have been in have notices to say to add such time to the length of the break for those who do so.

lucgeo

Your uniform is for your own personal use, and a tax relief is (or was ) claimable for the laundering of it!
Tesco are also obliged to launder freezer coats, hi viz and any other uniform shared by others...but that agreement is also conveniently overlooked, all too frequently.
The same ruling should be there for canteen equipment which should meet hygiene standards as fit for use, hence hygiene ratings in any food establishment.
All shared crockery should be washed at set temperatures to comply with H&S rulings. A quick rinse of shared crockery or cutlery under a hot tap either before or after use just doesn't comply with these regulations.

Again...if Tesco are obliged to offer heating appliances to prepare food and drink, they should be obliged to maintain and clean this equipment to acceptable standards for every user at all times!

If they want staff to maintain that cleanliness, then they should be paying them to do so! Not have some mugs believing their spiel how it's everyone's responsibility...tell me if colleagues don't clean up after themselves is it a disciplinary matter  ???

Seems my post is very much ditto to above post, both written same time 🙄
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Biscuit tin

Most the staff aren't even toilet trained in our store, how can you expect them to clean up after themselves in the canteen?

oldfashionedplayer

too true, the answer I got from some when asking some of ours if they aim at home was "the wife cleans it up if we miss so it's fine"  ???  So they pretty much expect that to be taken care of at work too... though for our store they'll p**s over the seats and floors but wash their cups  ;D

rather they did it the other way around lol

forrestgimp

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 16-02-23, 04:11PM@forrestgimp tesco also provide uniform,would you like a valet to also dress you or train you to dress yourself,its cups and plates for crying out loud,clean as you go,simple to everyone with an ounce of sense

I cant be bothered trying with you anymore, you are the weakest link goodbye.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: lucgeo on 16-02-23, 05:15PMYour uniform is for your own personal use, and a tax relief is (or was ) claimable for the laundering of it!
Tesco are also obliged to launder freezer coats, hi viz and any other uniform shared by others...but that agreement is also conveniently overlooked, all too frequently.
The same ruling should be there for canteen equipment which should meet hygiene standards as fit for use, hence hygiene ratings in any food establishment.
All shared crockery should be washed at set temperatures to comply with H&S rulings. A quick rinse of shared crockery or cutlery under a hot tap either before or after use just doesn't comply with these regulations.

Again...if Tesco are obliged to offer heating appliances to prepare food and drink, they should be obliged to maintain and clean this equipment to acceptable standards for every user at all times!

If they want staff to maintain that cleanliness, then they should be paying them to do so! Not have some mugs believing their spiel how it's everyone's responsibility...tell me if colleagues don't clean up after themselves is it a disciplinary matter  ???

Seems my post is very much ditto to above post, both written same time 🙄

Literally this, thankyou, for the common sense of how any retail, restaurant, workplace etc would work... A quick rinse ain't going to remove bacteria, and that's what is expected in the colleague room.. Operation of ANY equipment in a workplace should have relevant training, including dishwashers to protect the colleague and the business.. Its not "home" like some think, its a workplace and different rules apply because of how many people we are in contact with each and every day...

I don't understand how it is that hard to follow... If you wanna be responsible at the end of the day, clean around, rinse some plates, maybe cough a little on everything, if you want to be on the safer side then put it on trays in the relevant area for staff who are trained in the equipment to be honest.

2ndtimeround

Some people simply believe the world owes them a living and expect everyone else to provide for them.
It's the people like this that make life harder for those of us that are prepared to look after ourselves. 🤷🏻�♂️

FarmerFred

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 17-02-23, 05:45PM.. Operation of ANY equipment in a workplace should have relevant training, including dishwashers to protect the colleague and the business.. Its not "home" like some think, its a workplace and different rules apply because of how many people we are in contact with each and every day...
I do hope you have had training on how to tie your laces in the workplace and safe operation of doors. How about how to use a knife & fork, dispense hot water - or even flush the toilet? After all, it's work equipment in the workplace and not at all like being at home!

oldfashionedplayer

You can spout it all you want, but like it's been mentioned, but what will happen if you decide go on a wagon to unload a cage from said wagon and a cage falls on you? If you had training you'd be in for a settlement... if you hadn't had any training and decided to just go "I've unloaded stuff at home, I know how to do this" Your looking at Zilch.. Nadah.. Zero, ontop of a disciplinary most likely for "ignoring training and doing it anyway" - Same applies, Just because someone says Jump doesn't mean you do it... Don't be a Lemming, Have some Common Sense, cause like multiple have mentioned, if ANYTHING goes wrong in that colleague room, Which colleagues are getting the blame? The ones with training? or the ones who've decided to do it by themselves? - Information may say about "doing it yourself" but doing it wrong will be YOUR fault... Only has to be that One time..

2ndtimeround

If you can't see the difference between unloading a wagon and loading a cup in a dishwasher then there really is not much hope is there.

BadHairDay

Is it down to the in store cleaner to restock the food (take the food off the shop floor) in the staff canteen? A manager in my store told one cleaner that if there was nothing to eat in the staff canteen he will be sending the staff to complain to him.

2ndtimeround

It is the cleaning manager who is responsible for this.

Loki

Quote from: Biscuit tin on 16-02-23, 08:14PMMost the staff aren't even toilet trained in our store, how can you expect them to clean up after themselves in the canteen?

;D This made me spit my coffee out  ;D

So true. Maybe this should be submitted to the forum. We have training for fill, pick and serve so why not training for squat, wipe and flush.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

oldfashionedplayer

:D definitely loki, a lot of ours say its their wives job at home so its the cleaners job at work... doesn't help the rest of us... if only we could teach them like they used to do with puppies... 8-)  rubbing their nose in it..would soon stop  >:D

surlaroute

Quote from: 2ndtimeround on 17-02-23, 07:37PMSome people simply believe the world owes them a living and expect everyone else to provide for them.
It's the people like this that make life harder for those of us that are prepared to look after ourselves. 🤷🏻�♂️

this isn't the point anyone with a brain here is making it's that they're done having to stand having done the right thing washing their hands in the bathroom and then watching the manager walk behind them and straight out after touching their genitals with no repercussions and then being made to feel like a heretic when they sit in the canteen not using any of the facilities just reading their book and then being expected to clean up after the same disgusting cretins cos it's "everyone's responsibility" which doesn't really mean that, it just means that when something needs doing its muggins who's closest. There's no principle to it and its completely unreinforcible.

Scruff

Just wondering how many of you have working vending machines in your staff canteen?

fatlad

We have vending machines that haven't worked for around 3 years which are still full of stock

madness

Our machines got filled with healthy c**p that no-one bought and everything went out of date so now not in use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk