Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 07:35AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,362
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 398
Total: 402

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomworker

FFS this is a tesco forum and with it comes all the speculation, tea leaf and tarot readings and more spit balling than you can shake a stick at. Now we have added Asda into the mix  ;D  ;D  ;D

NorthbyNorthwest

I dare'nt ask for this thread to get back to its original subject as Forrest will accuse me of crying again! So, on the Asda news, if Tesco were to follow suit, there would have to be a shake up at distribution as the logistics model would have to change. Anyone from distro's here to add anything?

SAMCRO

Shift Leaders at my store are told to be fully flexible 7 days a week between 05:00 - 00:30. Shifts are all over the place, hardly the recipe for family life.

Prince of Darkness

Quote from: SAMCRO on 27-01-23, 08:21AMShift Leaders at my store are told to be fully flexible 7 days a week between 05:00 - 00:30. Shifts are all over the place, hardly the recipe for family life.

Identical to life as an SL in Express. For a couple of years I was on a rotating three week rota w different days off in ea of the weeks. Only benefit was that it was predictable and that we had every third weekend off, but we finished on a Friday with a late and restarted on Monday on an early so not that great as a break.

Essentially the Express model of working is now being rolled out SS and to an extent Extras. Quite a few Expresses now have a shared SM with all the day to day work done by SLs.

Checkout Superstar

Quote from: SAMCRO on 27-01-23, 08:21AMShift Leaders at my store are told to be fully flexible 7 days a week between 05:00 - 00:30. Shifts are all over the place, hardly the recipe for family life.

If this happens in my extra there are a few shift leaders who will probably stand down straight away as they aren't capable of the task that is going to be asked of them. Makes me wonder if our SM set them up on purpose so he could get rid.

randomworker

Quote from: Prince of Darkness on 27-01-23, 08:32AM

Identical to life as an SL in Express. For a couple of years I was on a rotating three week rota w different days off in ea of the weeks. Only benefit was that it was predictable and that we had every third weekend off, but we finished on a Friday with a late and restarted on Monday on an early so not that great as a break.

Essentially the Express model of working is now being rolled out SS and to an extent Extras. Quite a few Expresses now have a shared SM with all the day to day work done by SLs.

Yip definitely could see a store manager running 2 large stores in a certain radius in the future

randomworker

Some individuals who have worked in a certain role over time can become set in their ways and accustomed to certain working practices. When you have someone who is hungry and not had that role they can be more open minded and flexible.

Aldi and lidl came into the market place and showed that the big guys were set in their ways and accustomed to a preconceived idea of what customers valued in their shopping experience.

End of day the job market and competition will decide if those shift leaders roles can be filled and be productive enough.

Bobmay

Quote from: SAMCRO on 26-01-23, 06:23PMIt's rumours and speculation. Although after what has happened over the past 7 years at Tesco then I would not be surprised with the removal of Managerial positions.

Tesco play the long game, they get all their affairs in order and then slice and dice with the cuts. Years ago your badge said "Betty - Produce - 1999." Then they changed the contracts to simply say "Betty - Customer Assistant - 1999"

Then within a year GAs were told about Serve, Pick & Fill. Although you have a core/primary department - it means nothing. You are simply a jack of all trades. You will never be offered redundancy as you are simply a customer assistant who can be sent to work anywhere on the shopfloor.

Tesco learnt a costly lesson during 2016-2018 when they spent hundreds of thousands on redundancy payments to night staff and stock control colleagues. This is why they decided to remove our departments from our contract.

Nothing is a coincidence at Tesco, it is all by design - the long con.

It is no coincidence that managers have not had a pay raise in a long time, it is no coincidence that shift leaders are running the shopfloor in superstores and Extras - whilst the managers sit upstairs. It is no coincidence with the creation of the MyTesco App that now takes a lot of work away from managers. It is no coincidence that we will soon be able to request holidays, overtime, work elsewhere in store or at another store all from our mobile phones... again less work/control for managers.

All of this is the long con by Tesco - to get ready for the removal of managers. Shift leader pay is getting increasing close to starting salary manager pay. I suspect Managers will be renamed shift leaders.

Don't forget Tesco are aiming to save £1Billion over the next 3years. That works out to £7millon a week. They cannot afford energy costs and constant pay raises for GAs and shift leaders.

That the point I was stating.With the new contract they can simply not pay redundancy like before when they removed jobs.Now they simply move around.The only time they will pay redundancy I belive is for places like night shift pharmacy and mangers.Those are the only three  places left where redundancy will happen.Or if they close down the store which I believe they will close down some stores.

Redshoes

The thing to consider is if the role you play is more important than the time of day you work. If you can only work school hours, that does not prevent you getting or keeping a job within store but it might prevent you doing a particular role. If you want to avoid checkouts at all costs it's probably best not to have a job on the shop floor at a time of day when the checkouts is undermanned. Going forward the checkout manager is not going to able to recruit if Depts are over hours at the time that checkouts need staff. This applies to all areas. I was using checkouts purely as an example.
Same will apply to shift leads, if they can't do the required hours. Managers in SS have been doing these hours for years. They open and close the stores daily, with the assistance of shift leads in recent times. If some or all managers go there is nobody to do this. The last structure change was a soft one so managers were not replaced if they left and if stores got closer to structure they got to recruit shift leads. Then all stores were told to train shift leads, they were even online training sessions. If we go to new structure that has not fully landed the managers should do mainly mid shift and shift leads the open and close shifts. Manager retain the admin side of the role, even during it being updated. It's nearly annual review time for managers, they now have contracts that say that they are just a manager and the areas they run can change. My guess is that jobs will be issued on scores and managers with lowest scores will be offered shift leads once all the remaining manager roles in stores have been issued out. Things like being able to keep up with the changes, after training, will be considered. A manager that is always behind on admin and has a high level of exceptions and is poor at booking holidays etc may suffer in new way forward. Being able to work a cage in record time may not fall part of what is considered. Shift leads should work shoulder to shoulder with colleagues. No harm in a manager filling shelves or serving on a till but they will have to be able to do the other side of the job.

lucgeo

@Redshoes

I'm guessing there won't be a stampede for other managers offering to cover your dept when you're off  ???

I'm also guessing that these  managers are dreading the new contracts whereby they may be moved onto your department for any length of time to learn the ropes  ???

Checkout managers have long been the losers of the short straw...highest headcount but least appreciated. Taking the flak from the SM for failing one in front, the flak from other dept managers for having their team on the checkout and the flak from the shop floor staff being constantly asked to "jump on" having just got off or not finishing their own routines!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

randomworker

your comment just highlights one of the biggest problems in Tescos old business model is that they have allowed too many managers to be in one store looking after their own department and not being flexible enough to meet the demands of competition who are more lean, mean and flexible

No one in our store gets to hide away or control one aspect of the store operations like they are a mini business owner.

markwinters

Can't be long now before announcements made- 45 day consultation ending 31/3. Valentines Day Massacre!

Checkout Superstar

There is a shift lead in my store who won't work beyond 6pm (and I'm certain alters their shifts in frog so that its not noticed) so its going to be interesting seeing what happens to them going forward.

lucgeo

Quote from: randomworker on 27-01-23, 10:46AMyour comment just highlights one of the biggest problems in Tescos old business model is that they have allowed too many managers to be in one store looking after their own department and not being flexible enough to meet the demands of competition who are more lean, mean and flexible

No one in our store gets to hide away or control one aspect of the store operations like they are a mini business owner.

It hasn't always been the case. At one time section managers were periodically moved around the store onto other depts, every manager became knowledgeable on how each section and routines were operated. Same for GSM's who weren't encouraged to remain in one store for more than a few years.

The thinking was the good ones were moved to improve other depts and stores, and the lesser knowledgeable ones moved to learn and improve, instead of remaining in their  own little comfort zones stagnating.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Night Owl

Just had a look on T careers site, no Team manager vacancies advertised within 50 miles of my store, only advertised manager roles were for several Pharmacy manager positions. I do know a neighbouring store has had a Team Manager leave since Christmas but they are yet to be replaced.
Could be just a coincidence, or could be all vacancies are on hold at the moment.

BenPvfc

Quote from: Night Owl on 27-01-23, 01:43PMJust had a look on T careers site, no Team manager vacancies advertised within 50 miles of my store, only advertised manager roles were for several Pharmacy manager positions. I do know a neighbouring store has had a Team Manager leave since Christmas but they are yet to be replaced.
Could be just a coincidence, or could be all vacancies are on hold at the moment.

No flies on you

trolleyboy96

Yep this kicked in Monday, we had 2 placements signed off, both have been refused appointments, even though the shop has 2 vacancies.

Davethebave

They won't replace manager vacancies if they think they can move another manager from a different store that's over surely?

Good chance we will see a change in the managers T&Cs ie move to 5 out of 7 days like the shift leaders, so they have to work Sundays etc

Deep dark

madness

Quote from: randomworker on 27-01-23, 10:46AMyour comment just highlights one of the biggest problems in Tescos old business model is that they have allowed too many managers to be in one store looking after their own department and not being flexible enough to meet the demands of competition who are more lean, mean and flexible

Take away ownership and pride in running your own department well and you just create a culture of not my problem and why does it matter.

2ndtimeround

Or alternatively you make all managers responsible for the overall store and remove the territorial attitude that has plagued the company for years. 🤔

Ashbeck

Quote from: Night Owl on 27-01-23, 01:43PMJust had a look on T careers site, no Team manager vacancies advertised within 50 miles of my store, only advertised manager roles were for several Pharmacy manager positions. I do know a neighbouring store has had a Team Manager leave since Christmas but they are yet to be replaced.

Not that it means a lot because it could all change on Monday, but I've just searched within 50 miles of various places and there are several team manager vacancies advertised around the country covering days and nights. Ones even a nice 4 night week on a full time contract.

https://apply.tesco-careers.com/members/modules/job/detail.php?record=783975

https://apply.tesco-careers.com/members/modules/job/detail.php?record=784128

https://apply.tesco-careers.com/members/modules/job/detail.php?record=784184

https://apply.tesco-careers.com/members/modules/job/detail.php?record=786925

https://apply.tesco-careers.com/members/modules/job/detail.php?record=784453

https://apply.tesco-careers.com/members/modules/job/detail.php?record=785711

https://apply.tesco-careers.com/members/modules/job/detail.php?record=786451

fscer

Its business as usual till the changes are announced. That's why you still see job vacancies for Team Managers.

madness

Quote from: 2ndtimeround on 27-01-23, 02:32PMOr alternatively you make all managers responsible for the overall store and remove the territorial attitude that has plagued the company for years. 🤔
Thats too big a span of control to get to know and build relationships with colleagues.
Also far too many micro in department special rules/proceedures/ routines to become an expert in everything.

randomworker

Quote from: madness on 27-01-23, 02:14PM

Take away ownership and pride in running your own department well and you just create a culture of not my problem and why does it matter.

Possible yes but end of the day how much will it matter to the customer who is looking for value in their shop

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk