Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:46PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,125
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammer10

That was about 10 years ago dairy manager ,this was when things were different 12 hour days were the norm pressure from above very little staff store takings were even then over a million a week.

Night Owl

Some of this information I know is accurate.  Our SM had to attend a group meeting 2 weeks ago so to agree TM end of year reviews were consistent across the group, meeting run by group PP. I personally know the group PP, she was our store PM b4 being promoted, but she is the kind of person to throw her own mother under a bus, to advance her T career.
Our LM, whose role is no more,was returned to our store this week, apparently all LM need to be in their base store for week 1, has spent the past week undoing all the great work our SM has done the past year to improve our EVM result, obviously trying to justify their own existence in T.
Just seen no evidence yet you suggest TM will be offered redundancy. If it is 75% of our TM will be dancing with joy come week 1, myself included, I would be in a position to never have to work again.
If someone could please evidence the accuracy of this redundancy rumour please, I will be eternally grateful.

NightGrafter

I'm sure most of us can agree that something is definitely happening soon in stores, but what are the chances of a store having a management restructure aswell as loosing it's nightfill & moving it to days/twilights(even if it's just moving 1 department to days instead of all of nights) at the same time as the management restructure?

Surely they can't expect a manager to do staff consultation meetings when they are worried about there own job

RocketRonnie100

I feel for all of you, I really do. I was a team manager for almost 20 years in various stores and formats.

The impending doom that this company does to you is insane, I swear that over several years it started to drive me crazy. The workload was totally unmanageable the expectations were out of the ball park.

Never having 2 days off on the trot and expected to work 40/50 hour weeks because "you're a manager" was unrealistic. On days off you were still answering emails and messages. It never ended.

I'm so glad I left.

Sherwoodforest

I wonder how many managers are looking at new cars,thinking there getting made redundant? :question:  :question:  :question:  (-*-)
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Beanny

Need to remember it will be store specific. So, if night lead team go, will the structure be that a team mgr will take over with 2 shift leaders and night shift stays or in some stores the night shift goes and shift leaders run the twilight shift with a day team mgr over seeing it till 12 pm. Hopefully it will be the latter for most stores so redundancy here it comes!!

randomworker

Quote from: RocketRonnie100 on 22-01-23, 08:05AMI feel for all of you, I really do. I was a team manager for almost 20 years in various stores and formats.

The impending doom that this company does to you is insane, I swear that over several years it started to drive me crazy. The workload was totally unmanageable the expectations were out of the ball park.

Never having 2 days off on the trot and expected to work 40/50 hour weeks because "you're a manager" was unrealistic. On days off you were still answering emails and messages. It never ended.

I'm so glad I left.

Swings and roundabouts. Had a good few store managers through out store and they never worked those crazy hours and were good at delegating and they moved on wanting bigger stores.

Redshoes

Team leaders have been removed in my store for over a year now. They are called Off Till but it's more like a runner role. They still co change run and end of day closure. They still stand over the breaks. They still support when called to a till. They still support to ensure training is caked out
The manager is responsible for booking and issuing out overtime. Manager needs to stand over the overtime and any shifts not filled after the 72 hours before period needs to be chased by the manager but there is wording to the effect that off till support in filling overtime. The wording is not great but we take it to mean that off till ask colleagues who are working if they want extra overtime but manager rings people. Also, if someone is sick on mangers day off or before manager starts they can ask if they are able to fill the shift.
The off till colleagues are not responsible and to book overtime or to add shifts the the extra hours market. Team leaders were able to do this but in most cases did not.
Off till should not be called to the desk to solve desk problems. The desk are on a higher pay grade. It's really not the done thing to ask someone on a lower pay grade to problem solve for you. This was the biggest issue when we changed. The desk were used to team leaders supporting them.
Since change 50% of team leaders have moved into different roles or left the business. I have heard of stores where they all left at consultation.

Bobmay

Quote from: Totot on 21-01-23, 03:36PMI think this year, ceo and director strategy will be interesting, what they will cut and what they gonna push.

Judging from last year financial report, looks great but there are some factors I think still can be play.
https://www.tescoplc.com/media/759057/tesco-annual-report-2022.pdf

I believe, the increase of selling and profit and adjusting operating profit still been driven by higher price of goods, hold on the increase of cost of goods from suppliers, and hold on lower operating cost, this is where our concern is, how much they going to pay us, redundancy offer, bonuses etc.

For sure, ceo and directors will try to reach their target that in general just sales, profit, eps, and non operating such as carbon neutral, gender pay gap, diversity etc.

Increasing pay from lower level is something they can't avoid, it will be about how much they willing to reduce operating profit and make their target harder. Meanwhile managers earning will be capped as usual, and bonus will be given in number and time that won't ruin Q1, Q2 etc target as much, in term of liquidity. Offering redundancy will lower liquidity in short term with high impact, I believe they will try to avoid this as much as possible, hence protection pay will be play even more.

Meanwhile, middle manager will have a big headache, to achieve this while work environment already so bad, and moral so low.

I think this summer will be the test of their strategy and how the middle management will cope with the demand. Meanwhile, there are possibility of deflation and bank of england pivoting interest rate, that will lower their sales and revenue number.

Us in lower level will just keep adjusting our work ethic by how the company treated us, the worst they treated us, the less care us with out job, that will make the job output lower regardless the quantity of work increase such as longer hours.

My bet is, they will try to move people around rather than offering redundancy, if pay increase significant enough, overtime will be less and less hiring new staff. And only boost overtime when things are not under control anymore.

Gender pay gap and diversity will play along too with recruiting staff/manager and career promotion since this is in their objective.

First important move for them I think to decide base pay for lower staff, then calculate if redundancy are feasible within their target if moving around people not as much as they expected.

I agree they will move people around especially in areas which they need to do.That is why they brought the new contract so they don't need to pay redundancy and instead they dont need to hire staff whenever a person leaves.The only way redundancy moving forward will happen is when they want people to do certain times for example morning evening twilight and people wont do.For example nights if they remove night and the people in nights dont want to move their hours than they will get redundancy.

Bobmay

Quote from: penguin on 21-01-23, 04:02PM
Quote from: Bobmay on 21-01-23, 11:56AM
Quote from: trolleyboy96 on 21-01-23, 10:57AMI would take redundancy, really would now, turned it down 4 times in the last few years, disillusioned by the expectation and workload expected, I understand where how my team feel and know most of them would take it but the colleague role change has removed that option, I wonder if changing all managers to team manager last year and no attached title will mean the same...

You missed an large opportunity to take redundancy. Now the only ones who will be able to are those who work nights or those who hours are changed. You are non longer department college but instead tesco colleagues which the reason for tesco bring is that they dont pay redundancy

If a store or stores need to reduce the number of Tesco colleagues be it due to taking less or changes in the job that mean less staff are needed then its still a reduncency situation there are no ifs or buts about it and they will have to pay redundancy pay.

I don't see any way tesco will give redundancy to staff working in morning or evening especially now that the new contract means you can work every where tills shelves etc.Unless tesco changes your hours and expect you to do different hours there is no way I see redundancy. Or if the store closes down.

Bobmay

Quote from: Beanny on 22-01-23, 09:08AMNeed to remember it will be store specific. So, if night lead team go, will the structure be that a team mgr will take over with 2 shift leaders and night shift stays or in some stores the night shift goes and shift leaders run the twilight shift with a day team mgr over seeing it till 12 pm. Hopefully it will be the latter for most stores so redundancy here it comes!!

One thing I know is that if night sre going than 100% they are going completely in the small stores. Express etc.

chris9997

I think it is safe to say that redundancy will only be certain in a situation that the whole night team operation of a store is
Axed, team managers on days are more likely I think to go to a soft restructuring situation.

Littledonkey

Okay Bobmay ...we get it you would like redundancy...no need to constantly spam the thread with your hopes

kaled78

just been speaking to a x team manager on the phone who took early retirement last year,she said "bloody typical they will offer redundancy after I retired early"

lucgeo

@ Redshoes

"The wording is not great but we take it to mean that off till ask colleagues who are working if they want extra overtime but manager rings people."

Rings people as in...at home in their own time away from work   ???  :-X  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Olivia Pope

@night owl I agree that some of the information is correct and unfortunately usdaw will already be involved and agreed to the terms. There should be a group consultation and you would be able to nominate mngrs to represent you and gather information etc. A couple of years ago they did something similar and you could apply for the mngrs role in any store you wanted, not sure if they will offer this again however if you do not apply and do not wish to be a shift leader redundancy must be option if your pay will be affected, if it's a name change with tweaks to content then they do not have too. As for consultation mngrs they can use SMS, mngrs from the office, depot or other parts of the business and these can be done via teams or in person. If you are in the union get your rep to attend, gather your questions, take your time do not feel pressured, if successful you should have a trial period to ensure your happy with the new role - unless you take a role with no different skills etc. if you step down and take protected pay, is there a timeframe before you can reapply again? Would you be expected to go through the options / JDI etc process again. You will be entitled to time for interviews, they should support you with cv training etc. good luck

Bob2004

Me too would never look back, litrally your day off would consist of constant what's apps, staff messaging and duty manager stuck so calling for help....
Lates into early was awful  >:(

Hammer10

Would turn my phone off on days off.

Checkout Superstar

I still cannot see them getting rid of all team managers. Certainly not in extras anyway.

There is just no way the new work and pay app is going to go live at the same time they ditch all managers/move nights to days and make what ever changes they are making to the front end. It will be complete and utter chaos.

Plus Tesco usually trial things first. Has any Extra been part of a slimmed down management yet? the only thing we took part in was some night staff moving to days. They went back for Xmas but everyone was told they should expect to be moved back to days perm within the new year.

Nomad

And offered redundancy as an alternative.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

rogerthedodger

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 23-01-23, 09:01AMI still cannot see them getting rid of all team managers. Certainly not in extras anyway.

There is just no way the new work and pay app is going to go live at the same time they ditch all managers/move nights to days and make what ever changes they are making to the front end. It will be complete and utter chaos.

Plus Tesco usually trial things first. Has any Extra been part of a slimmed down management yet? the only thing we took part in was some night staff moving to days. They went back for Xmas but everyone was told they should expect to be moved back to days perm within the new year.

Won't be all Managers, they will keep Say 4 generic Line Managers in the massive stores less as sizes goes down Shiftleaders/Duty numbers will increase

Basically line managers will become leads on less pay and shift leaders managers.

Prince of Darkness

I reckon my SS doing about 900l/week will go to SM, Fresh Manager, Grocery Manager, & Services (Checkouts, CSD + PFS) Mgr. We will lose LM Admin and Stock mgr and a part-timer who covers Cash Office, CSD & PFS Mgr. We now have 5 Shift Leaders (from zero a year ago).

filling-machine

The pieces of the jigsaw have been steadily slotting into place since the tablet launched a few years ago. Scheduler to workload and more shift leaders are clearly amongst the last few pieces. I know of at least 3 night leads that have left our group in the last year and been replaced with a team manager. Real push from the company late last year to recruit shift leaders and make sure they are trained to be the managers "number 2". In addition store's received an A frame in November, for the front of the store, "Recruiting Now". The box was labelled "recruiting night (team) managers". Something big is clearly imminent, but none of us know for sure what. My guess is that night leads go (possibly not in £2m Extras), Team manager headcount significantly reduces and they become "duty managers" and shift leads run departments. But, like I say, that's just a guess.........

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk