Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 12:23PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,366
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 381
Total: 383

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sizzle1968

I'm in an Extra where we have SM, when he turns up...... 2 LM and 7 Full time TM and 2 PT TMs thats reduced hell of a lot in the 10 years I've been here!!
I work in Dot Com with another Full time manager and a Part time manager and 5 Team Supports, I would not like to be the only Manager out there with over 200 staff!!!!!!

londoner83

Sizzle1968 - how many managers does your store have in on a Sunday? It's highly likely to be no more than 2 or 3, with no doubt a fairly high headcount of staff. Why on a quieter weekday do you need a army of management?

Once the full effect of the new contract and pick/fill/serve comes into force you won't need department managers.

The computer will decide where staff are working and their shifts (which will be out of their much wider availability windows), the computer will also plot and send out OT shifts. The computer will potentially approve holidays across the store as every role can be covered by everyone.

All you need is shift leaders to make sure colleagues are following what the computer says and someone to deal with misconduct issues for those that aren't.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Monkeyman on 09-01-23, 07:41PMWhat's everyone's thoughts on Tesco security guards is it time for them to go? Most of our hours are now covered by agency guards

Yes they should be made redundant.

As for team managers, all they do is fill the shop floor 90% of what they did is now done by shift leaders on less pay. Its about time the vastly over paid fillers went, some of them are on incredible amounts of money for what is essentially a non job.

Tesc0Wow

Quote from: londoner83 on 12-01-23, 08:40AMSizzle1968 - how many managers does your store have in on a Sunday? It's highly likely to be no more than 2 or 3, with no doubt a fairly high headcount of staff. Why on a quieter weekday do you need a army of management?

Once the full effect of the new contract and pick/fill/serve comes into force you won't need department managers.

The computer will decide where staff are working and their shifts (which will be out of their much wider availability windows), the computer will also plot and send out OT shifts. The computer will potentially approve holidays across the store as every role can be covered by everyone.

All you need is shift leaders to make sure colleagues are following what the computer says and someone to deal with misconduct issues for those that aren't.

See that sounds great in theory, but have you ever looked at the heat map? The heatmap for filling most departments is actually wild. Even the fastest fillers on most depts couldn't get to the speed they expect. The heatmap is what schedule to workload is based off

madness

Funny every customer assistant in our store says they would never want the managers role.
Stores can run with 1 manager on a Sunday because it is a babysitting day when nothing happens training wise, or holiday planning or meetings etc. it also is 1 of the usual days off for managers. But through the week all the jobs need done.

Like anything you can run for a while without a leader/boss/manager but the wheels start to fall off the longer there is no-one running the show.

NightAndDay

Sundays are easily the busiest of the trading days in the week when factored by transactions per hour. I actively avoid shopping at my local superstore on Sundays, the last time I was there on a Sunday the queue snaked around 16 aisles and went outside of the store, and that's with 6 manned checkouts and 20+ self service tills and about 10 scan as you shops.

5fdp

Well said 'madness'.  If mgrs weren't needed in any business they wouldn't be there. But you need someone to take responsibility and the fall.

Checkout Superstar

Quote from: madness on 12-01-23, 04:44PMFunny every customer assistant in our store says they would never want the managers role.
Stores can run with 1 manager on a Sunday because it is a babysitting day when nothing happens training wise, or holiday planning or meetings etc. it also is 1 of the usual days off for managers. But through the week all the jobs need done.

Like anything you can run for a while without a leader/boss/manager but the wheels start to fall off the longer there is no-one running the show.

Good point. How are shift leaders expected to deal with all the meetings that take place in regards to the running of the store?

That is why I just cannot see them cutting back on Team Managers in Extras and Superstores anytime soon. They will most likely see how the new system works first before making a decision so if anything it will be next year if/when it happens.

I think the only thing which looks certain at this point is the fish counters, any remaining meat counters and possibly the hot delis going. That will happen before any big manager cut backs.

Sizzle1968

Quote from: londoner83 on 12-01-23, 08:40AMSizzle1968 - how many managers does your store have in on a Sunday? It's highly likely to be no more than 2 or 3, with no doubt a fairly high headcount of staff. Why on a quieter weekday do you need a army of management?

We have 3 TM in on Sundays 7-2  9.30-4 & 2-10

markwinters

Shift Leaders won't be expected to do people tasks, Lead managers look like they don't have a place in structure either

NorthbyNorthwest

This is purely speculation ( as this whole thread, well, until after Viewpoint! ), but going forward I see the structure as such.
Store Manager
Lead Manager(s)
Shift Leaders
Customer Colleagues
As we move away from having teams for individual departments, so there will not be a need for Team Managers. There has to be a succession line to Store Manager, and a level of responsibility above Shift Leader to operate a store effectively ( and to support SM's 'workload' ).
I am fully aware I can be wrong with this, and I've stated previously why I believe it to be the way it will go ( whether now or in the future ). One thing I haven't mentioned is that this company does like to go in circles, and I believe this time Team Managers are for the chop is thus-
In the last decade we've seen the removal of Deputy Manager to be replaced with Lead Managers. We've seen Team Leaders role removed, and we've seen the upskilled role of Shift Leader introduced. Team Managers have not been affected by any changes ( apart from inheriting more depts ) since the late 2000's decade. Again, all my own thoughts and reasoning, so could be completely wrong, but to many thing's are adding up and looking like this is the way the company is going.

Checkout Superstar

It all sounds plausible but I still think that is a year off. They will want to make sure the new system is working correctly before ditching team managers altogether that is why I don't believe its happening in this restructure.

Plus there has been nothing leaked in the press about team managers being dropped, not even a single whisper of it other than this thread whereas by contrast we have heard talk the fish counters and delis are at risk as well as more restructuring of nights/twilights.

Seymee

Good luck to any store manager who is going to believe huge departments like Dot Com can run with only shift leaders. Our Dot Com department has almost 250 staff.

Who will be responsible for targets not being met? because without a direct person in control the disorganisation will be immense.

NorthbyNorthwest

Mikoo, they can do it through 'simplification' of processes. That's why so many depts have lost managers over the years. Of course, as we know, a lot of SD's don't like 'simplification' and insist that we all do thing's as though it's circa 2010!

Checkout Superstar

While I agree this is obviously the long term plan, one Store Manager, One Lead manager with only several shift leaders as back up is not to work in large Extras and it will become apparent very quickly that its not going to work.

Its like the heatmaps, what works in a smaller store isn't going to be repeated in a larger store yet the model is the same.

I'm expecting the smaller stores to lose a few team managers but I think the larger stores will stick with them until they know the new system is working. So 2024 would be my guess for any big manager changes.

Like I said. I think its the fish counters and the delis that are going to go with more cut backs on nights and any remaining F&F fitting rooms being closed for good. I'm not really expecting anything beyond that. This ties in with the news report leaks we have already had.

Bobmay

Agreed.They wont remove managers this year but next year.They will remove managers in former metro stores such as line managers if they have it.And instead replace them with shift leaders though.So managers in extra I dont believe they will be removed but only in small Tesco like former metro stores.They will be removing more nights though and replacing them with twilight especially former metro store that still have them.They will become express store and will have same format.If you work in express former metro expect this to happen soon.Especially for night shift. In my store it was very busy as metro now a days no long busy so the idea they will keep nights makes no sense when they are already struggling with morning and afternoon staff and prefer more staff during than.Tesco might not remove nights completely though instead replace some stores to twilight which will save them millions which they would love.

Sherwoodforest

@bobmay you need to stop speculating as what you think the company is doing just because you want your redundancy doesnt meen its going to happen,scare mongering others aint right unless you know facts
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

lucgeo

If they got rid of the daily meetings and rumble, managers spend a good chunk attending, they'd be able to half the managers straight away!

As for the waste of space SM...what is their purpose? Seriously? They spend their excuse of an existence rocking up, playing the big I am checking labels, phone attached to ear calling for everyone for the any petty reason, then off for coffee break. Hand over meeting, coffee break, 10 am huddle meeting, coffee break, rumble meeting, leaning on a fixture phone to ear for an hour whilst everyone else rumbles, hour+ lunch break, mid afternoon huddle meeting, coffee break then leave instructions before heading home!!
Every SM has a fall guy, who gets blamed for any mistakes flagged up, mainly because the SM hasn't a clue how to check or investigate stock. They know how to read a KPI chart but do they actually understand it all  ???  ???

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

penguin

Quote from: NorthbyNorthwest on 13-01-23, 12:23PMMikoo, they can do it through 'simplification' of processes. That's why so many depts have lost managers over the years. Of course, as we know, a lot of SD's don't like 'simplification' and insist that we all do thing's as though it's circa 2010!

There used to be an SD in express who was well known for turning up in stores and responding to everything with "Well when I worked in stores in the 90s we did it like this so you should do it like that now" nothing ever changes does it. No doubt it 2040 you will have people turning up in stores informing people how it was done back in 2023 and why are you not doing it like that now.

Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 13-01-23, 03:07PM@bobmay you need to stop speculating as what you think the company is doing just because you want your redundancy doesnt meen its going to happen,scare mongering others aint right unless you know facts
👍

The crow

Seriously people....why is everyone so worked up into speculating what the structure may or not may be? The truth is, there will always be management and general staff no matter what the job title is. A job is worth more the more responsability you have, thats it. If u take out team manager to replace with shift leader eventually the job becomes the same. Think about it, what difference is there between levels of management anyways? Its a shop...you sell baked beans!!

RaceToTheBottom

Serve Pick and Fill will be the titles of the managers in the new structure

One manager per area , senior team and team managers who are " exceed " will be matched to these roles

Team manager role to be removed

Extra shift leaders / team support

Oracle now very powerful system , using AI algorithms to perform tasks such as schedule to workload etc

Dourieboy87

Quote from: markwinters on 13-01-23, 09:25AMShift Leaders won't be expected to do people tasks, Lead managers look like they don't have a place in structure either

How do u know this for a fact? Lots of peoples opinions but im looking for something concrete.

Seymee

Dourieboy87 - The entire thread seems to be built on rumour without any evidence at all. Normally we would get some whispers of plans in the press but like someone else said the only thing we have heard about is the fish counters going in the stores that still have them.

One rumour I heard at my store is that stock control are losing all weekend routines except for PR scan. So no gaps, counts, lows or overs on Saturday or Sunday.   

I've not heard any talk of manager cut backs and like I said earlier, my store has 250 dot com staff. The very idea this department will run with only shift leaders in place is pure fantasy and if head office genuinely think different they will be in for a massive shock then the new system fails and then has to be suspended until they figure it all out. Where the computer thinks hours should be and where the hours are actually needed is very different in reality, we see this with the heatmap so good luck getting all orders completed by 2pm as everyone will be pulled off other departments to finish the pick without warning every day....  what might work in a metro/express won't work in an extra.

kaled78

our manager has said heat maps will be thrown out and no longer exist once the new system is up and running

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk