News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

30-04-24, 08:55AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,435
  • Total Topics: 641
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 304
Total: 305

Pay Review 2022

Started by yeetus, 29-03-22, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: MerchMan007 on 11-01-23, 08:31PM
Quote from: Garysmith123 on 11-01-23, 06:47PMSo sainsbury have been awarded an £11 per hour increase from April

Wow , £11 per hour INCREASE would definitely make me stay
:D

barafear

Tesco gave their Christmas/Q3 trading update today - I was half expecting an announcement on a pay increase.....alas not.

Himynameus

Yesterday daily news Feedback: Is there a plan to react to Sainsburys recent pay announcement?
Response: This will form part of the consideration as we enter the pay negotiations with Usdaw which will begin at the end of January.

lordadmiral

Quote from: barafear on 12-01-23, 12:41PMTesco gave their Christmas/Q3 trading update today - I was half expecting an announcement on a pay increase.....alas not.
The growth is big, but bellow inflation level.
If company want bigger net profit then further costs cuts are expected.
Any one whos work is unbalanced, stresfull and underpaid can forget about any change for better.
The reasonable minimum should be now £11.50 per hour, £12 if team is understaffed and relay on people working 6-7 days a week.
But let's wait for results of ongoing negotiations.

NightAndDay

Pay reviews are a double edged sword for structural changes, lowering the headcount means staff retention is that much more important, it would be very reasonable to assume the increase will be to at least £11 an hour, any less and they'd be losing staff to the competition and find their roles harder to fill, we are still in an employees market with many employers screaming out for staff. Cheaping out on the increase would be an ill advised business strategy against the backdrop of the current labour market imbalance, the low pay commission even commented that the 9.7% increase to the national living wage to £10.42 an hour is in main part due to this imbalance along with the current inflation we're going through.

There's also the aspect that an employer in the public eye as big as Tesco can't really get away with passing off a pay rise percentage much lower than inflation, even less the national living wage increase, I would say anything less than 6% would be heavily scrutinized. A 6% increase would also push the rate to a bit above £11 an hour.

If I had to take an educated guess, I believe the increase will be 6.8% taking pay to £11.10 an hour.

Morrissey1912

All that you can see is cuts coming.Tesco is all about money now.All Night shift to go.No redundancys as they be offered jobs on morning and twilight.Tesco don't do redundancy now.I can see serious manager jobs goin now.Its bad when Asda lidi are all streets ahead

5fdp

Can't force staff to move from nights to days unless they agree. Otherwise redundancy.  Tesco make people redundant all the time. You just don't here about it. Head office come and go all the time. Just made some regional roles redundant 3 months ago.

overworkedexpresslad

Management call tomorrow morning @ 10am. they either have to beat or match Sainsbruys £11.00 an hour.

Checkout Superstar

Quote from: 5fdp on 12-01-23, 07:25PMCan't force staff to move from nights to days unless they agree. Otherwise redundancy.  Tesco make people redundant all the time. You just don't here about it. Head office come and go all the time. Just made some regional roles redundant 3 months ago.

In many of the extras some night staff were moved to days with protected pay for 18 months.

I could see them moving superstore nights to days but its harder to do that in extras, especially those which have . com departments as the shelves need to be filled during the night ready for them to pick in the morning. 

Bobmay

Quote from: lordadmiral on 12-01-23, 01:58PM
Quote from: barafear on 12-01-23, 12:41PMTesco gave their Christmas/Q3 trading update today - I was half expecting an announcement on a pay increase.....alas not.
The growth is big, but bellow inflation level.
If company want bigger net profit then further costs cuts are expected.
Any one whos work is unbalanced, stresfull and underpaid can forget about any change for better.
The reasonable minimum should be now £11.50 per hour, £12 if team is understaffed and relay on people working 6-7 days a week.
But let's wait for results of ongoing negotiations.

£12 an hour? I get paid now in express store former metro for nights on Saturday £15.60  an hour I highly doubt tesco will increase it to 12 pound an hour.

Bobmay

Quote from: Morrissey1912 on 12-01-23, 06:27PMAll that you can see is cuts coming.Tesco is all about money now.All Night shift to go.No redundancys as they be offered jobs on morning and twilight.Tesco don't do redundancy now.I can see serious manager jobs goin now.Its bad when Asda lidi are all streets ahead

If they do remove nights to twilight unless staff agree to it they will have to pay redundancy.  Tesco themselves stated last year than plan on saving billion. Also with protected psy the staff themselves agreed to it if they fidht tesco would have had to pay redundancy

randomworker

Quote from: Morrissey1912 on 12-01-23, 06:27PMAll that you can see is cuts coming.Tesco is all about money now.  All Night shift to go.   No redundancy as they will be offered jobs on morning and twilight.  Tesco don't do redundancy now.  I can see serious manager jobs going now.  Its bad when Asda lidi are all streets ahead.

do you expect Tesco to be a charity?

They are tracking to make around 1-2% profit margin come April maybe a little higher if they got more profit out of those sales increase

5fdp

Please people get it into your wee heeds. You can't change someone from nights to days unless they agree. If they don't agree it's redundancy if the job role is going.  So if staff have moved from say hb nights to hb days its because they have agreed to do it.  They will get a buy out on the pay difference.  If they didn't agree they would be moved to another area eg fresh or grocery . Or made redundant.  Redundant member of staff happen frequently in the company . Regional managers have not long gone, all made redundant.

Bobmay

Agreed Tesco will pay redundancy if they change your contract and you can't do the change. Protected Pay is only a little bit extra.  It only happens if staff agree to it.

trivi

Rumours of shift leader getting pay rise

SAMCRO

Pay raises will mean job cuts and/or hours taken out of departments. Tesco cannot afford to pay GAs £11+ an hour to fill shelves and serve customers. One of our Trolley Assistants is full-time, another does 30hrs a week. At £11 an hour the full timer will be earning £1606 per month before tax and deductions. A 30hr colleague will be earning £1320 before deductions. You are delusional to think Tesco will pay that for a GA.

Hours will be cut. Yet again more pressure on those colleagues that remain.

Bobmay

I would like to tell you that tesco very clearly stated that they want to save billions within three weeks. This isnt rumours but rather what they stated last time when they did cuts in February 2022 last year when they cut nights from multiple tesco stores. Tesco is moving towards working how lidl and aldi do.There focus is to cut down things like nights and either remove them completely or replace with twilight hours.I highly doubt they want people in london getting 15.00 an hour for nights.

MerchMan007

Quote from: Bobmay on 14-01-23, 10:53AMI would like to tell you that tesco very clearly stated that they want to save billions within three weeks. This isnt rumours but rather what they stated last time when they did cuts in February 2022 last year when they cut nights from multiple tesco stores. Tesco is moving towards working how lidl and aldi do.There focus is to cut down things like nights and either remove them completely or replace with twilight hours.I highly doubt they want people in london getting 15.00 an hour for nights.
I would like to tell YOU that Tesco DID NOT state that they want to save "billions within three weeks" . The actual statement was that they were going to save one billion within three years . You then have the nerve to say "This isnt rumours" .

Thedude2022

Hi everyone, I've a question about flexi contracts, our store like everyone else's has its overtime cut. Most of out dot com department are on 15 hour a week and 3.45 hours a day contracts but are flex'd up to 8/9 hour days. A few staff(chosen if they have a bad pick rate) get sent home, is there a policy about how much notice they should get given? As one member of staff today started at 6am(contracted 3.45 hours) but flex'd till 1pm got sent home but was told at 9.40am when they were having a 30 minute break so had to leave at 9.45am. Is this ok or against policy?

Thanks in advance!

chris9997

not sure about flexi staff however if they have been flexed up to 1pm to then be sent home at 9.45 is wrong and policy states breaks can not be taken at end of shift so surely they should of been told before the break.

FarmerFred

Quote from: Thedude2022 on 14-01-23, 03:37PMHi everyone, I've a question about flexi contracts, our store like everyone else's has its overtime cut. Most of out dot com department are on 15 hour a week and 3.45 hours a day contracts but are flex'd up to 8/9 hour days. A few staff(chosen if they have a bad pick rate) get sent home, is there a policy about how much notice they should get given? As one member of staff today started at 6am(contracted 3.45 hours) but flex'd till 1pm got sent home but was told at 9.40am when they were having a 30 minute break so had to leave at 9.45am. Is this ok or against policy?

Thanks in advance!
According to https://colleague-help.ourtesco.com/hc/en-us/articles/5637482659484-Guide-to-the-Tesco-store-CFC-hourly-paid-colleague-contract it should be 3 weeks notice of shift change! Or 2 hours if CFC with same day clause - the fact that 2 hours is the minimum in CFCs where workload is unpredictable suggests that stores should not be any less as the extra hours can be utilised on other tasks/departments. If it was me, I would insist on completing the assigned shift & if the manager argues insist that they provides a copy of the full policy and highlight the clause that allows them to change the shift with zero notice.

randomworker

Quote from: SAMCRO on 14-01-23, 10:05AMPay raises will mean job cuts and/or hours taken out of departments. Tesco cannot afford to pay GAs £11+ an hour to fill shelves and serve customers. One of our Trolley Assistants is full-time, another does 30hrs a week. At £11 an hour the full timer will be earning £1606 per month before tax and deductions. A 30hr colleague will be earning £1320 before deductions. You are delusional to think Tesco will pay that for a GA.

Hours will be cut. Yet again more pressure on those colleagues that remain.

Tesco will either match sainsbury at £11 or come in around £10.80-£10.90. But make no mistake Tesco will be paying £11 and more in 2024

NightAndDay

It's an employees market atm, there's a very strong business case to not pay less than £11 an hour in the upcoming pay review, doing so would be a triple whammy hit in being seen as a worse employer than the competition, not being able to be branded a real living wage employer and staff leaving for better paid unskilled roles elsewhere.

randomworker

True though if I'm not mistaken Tesco and Sainsbury's do swap back and forth on who pays more.  I would not be shocked if it's in the £10.80-£10.90 range with a commitment to review the wage rate in September.

barafear

Do T really care about the GA rate? Their business model clearly show that GA are unskilled and easily trained. Is there a shortage of this type of employee? And ultimately as we move towards more automation then fewer staff are required and similarly if T move to an Aldi model again fewer staff required. So there's really no need to increase GA pay to attract staff. The only requirement is to stay legal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk