News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:20PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 318
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 303
Total: 306

Checkout training

Started by bornfree, 21-03-22, 06:02PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestgimp

Quote from: 2ndtimeround on 29-01-23, 07:24AM
Quote from: Mickymouse1962 on 29-01-23, 02:06AM
Quote from: londoner83 on 28-01-23, 09:20PMAt the time the agreement was signed there was no such thing as scan as you shop or self service......

And its a long standing legal precedent that agreements made today don't cover technical advances in the future.

You work in a shop, unless you have a sound medical reason as to why you can't operate a till its frankly ridiculous you can object to serving the customer. With the vast majority of transactions card payments you often don't even need to handle cash.
ocupational health said I cant do anything buy security only

Any occupational health report is simply a recommendation, it is then up to the company to decide wether it is feasible to implement the recommendation.
If you are classified as unfit for work on any area other than one that no longer exists then the company are more likely to end your contract on grounds of ill health than to offer redundancy.

Its not quite as cut and dried as that, yep its a recommendation however they will have to justify in court why they chose to ignore it, and as a multi billion pound company that would be a tad hard.

Redshoes

It's very rare to get retired for ill health. OH don't say only fit to work in certain areas. They make recommendations but don't use phrases like that.

Sherwoodforest

@forrestgimp to be honest it sounds like an odd reccomendation "only do security" i cant even think of a reason for only do security,so tesco could easily fight that in my opinion
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

forrestgimp

I dare say 'YOU' cant but as thats not really a responsibility of yours it might be wiser to leave it to those who do know.

Sherwoodforest

@forrestgimp its also not a responsibility of yours to say what tesco can and cant get away with,im just trying to point out common sense,standing on bws these days is a job,how would that be any different to a security job,?

forrestgimp

Ahh however I didnt, I pointed out what the law says, You obviously dont like it or agree but that is immaterial because you would have nothing to do with the process.

Sherwoodforest

@forrestgimp you haven't pointed anything out, just your opinion like me, occupational health is a guidance, that's all, no law to it, a bit like fit notes, guidance tool.

londoner83

Occupational Health is only guidance, however for a company the size of Tesco its hard for them to ignore their recommendations.

In a Extra employing 250+ people allowing employee X to only work on one department to help them manage their health problems isn't that much of a ask, as long as the request is reasonable.

Is there much of a difference between standing at the front door as "security" to standing in the BWS aisle or even standing in Scan as you shop payment area?

Bobmay

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 06-02-23, 07:07AM@forrestgimp to be honest it sounds like an odd reccomendation "only do security" i cant even think of a reason for only do security,so tesco could easily fight that in my opinion

If there contract is for security and tesco wants to change it the colleague has to agree especially if it for medical problems or redundancy. If the contract doesnt state it is for security than tesco has to make efforts with the colleague either working on admin filling shelves departments etc.

Bobmay

Quote from: londoner83 on 07-02-23, 07:48AMOccupational Health is only guidance, however for a company the size of Tesco its hard for them to ignore their recommendations.

In a Extra employing 250+ people allowing employee X to only work on one department to help them manage their health problems isn't that much of a ask, as long as the request is reasonable.

Is there much of a difference between standing at the front door as "security" to standing in the BWS aisle or even standing in Scan as you shop payment area?

That the point Tesco has to make reasonable adjustments.  The problem would be if the person can work anywhere whether it be admin filling shelves etc.

Mr Brightside 24

I've requested to drop a skill on the My Skills on the app, anyone know who it goes to as my line manager can't see it?

londoner83

Have you tried asking the manager in charge of the section you are trying to drop?

Have you also got a valid reason for dropping the skill (backed up by Occupational Health) as you may find without one the request will be denied?

Mr Brightside 24

Brilliant! Thank you whatajoke 👍

forrestgimp

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 06-02-23, 07:04PM@forrestgimp you haven't pointed anything out, just your opinion like me, occupational health is a guidance, that's all, no law to it, a bit like fit notes, guidance tool.

Its not my opinion its what happens when the company ignores recommendations, I suggest you do some research before spouting nonsense.

Redshoes

Any colleague who is medically unfit to complete a task has to have this backed up with documentation.
Most of this came to light during Covid when colleagues with asthma and diabetes for example were highlighted as at risk but there was no documentation on this.
All colleagues are required to train under the serve, pick, and fill criteria. It started in July last year and stores were expected to be at 50% completion by Christmas.
You just can't say that you are medically unfit. As a front end manager I have colleagues who say they can't fill fresh due to not being able to work in cold areas. This is documented and they have opted to work in non-food or light grocery.
Occupational health have been very busy dealing with the colleagues who have said they are medically unfit for other areas.

Sherwoodforest

@redshoes not all colleagues,some job roles exempt but are to be encouraged to get training

Morris999

Yes some colleagues are exempt, they are Pharmacy, Dot-com drivers and Phone Shop colleagues, every other colleague comes under the new contract of serve pick and fill!

Sherwoodforest

I think security also exempt,drivers only exempt from serve ,i read brief last year(maybe its changed)store manager should agree if any,some or all night colleagues need serve training,(but cant find it now, this current steer i think ,,. If someone does not want to work on a checkout because of the 2005 Checkout Agreement, what is the position?
In such a situation, we should seek to see if we can agree a solution that works for the colleague whilst still meeting the business need. The manager should use the 'Supporting colleagues with Serve, Pick & Fill training' to help guide these conversations.

As a last resort, the manager can agree the alternative Serve options of training on Scan As You Shop or Self-Serve, if that meets the needs of your store. It is expected that in most cases this will solve the skills need in store, as it is unlikely that every single colleague needs to be trained on a checkout, in line with the 'Supporting Colleagues with Serve, Pick and Fill' guide.

Sherwoodforest

Ps if you work nights,surely night managers going to train worst fillers first for tills,just saying :thumbup:  :thumbup:

odif

Quote from: madness on 21-03-22, 11:46PMIf checkouts could stand on their own two feet for once instead of using the store staff all the time the shops would all be alot better.
Totally agree,get rid of wait time, people queue in other shops and don't moan

grim up north

Quote from: Redshoes on 17-02-23, 10:36AMYou just can't say that you are medically unfit. As a front end manager I have colleagues who say they can't fill fresh due to not being able to work in cold areas. This is documented and they have opted to work in non-food or light grocery.
Occupational health have been very busy dealing with the colleagues who have said they are medically unfit for other areas.

Light grocery? Surely lifting heavy drinks and the bws aisle will get them hot, so perfect for them if they cant work in cold areas

Duff McKagan

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 17-02-23, 01:12PMPs if you work nights,surely night managers going to train worst fillers first for tills,just saying :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Unless you work nights in my store where ability means nothing, you can be the best filler in the company but unless you're mates with the manager you ain't sh*t. If you aren't in the clique then you'll be the one on checkouts while his mates stand about chatting.

madness

Quote from: grim up north on 19-02-23, 09:23AM
Quote from: Redshoes on 17-02-23, 10:36AMYou just can't say that you are medically unfit. As a front end manager I have colleagues who say they can't fill fresh due to not being able to work in cold areas. This is documented and they have opted to work in non-food or light grocery.

Light grocery? Surely lifting heavy drinks and the bws aisle will get them hot, so perfect for them if they cant work in cold areas
What they actually mean is they don't want to do any actual hard work.

oldfashionedplayer

could be arthritis, quite a few of ours have it, we have a few muslims who can't touch alcohol too, like full on can't go near it.. so can't work it at all and call for support at checkout lol.. but often with joint issues the cold makes it more painful, so since a lot of people on nights knacker their joints.. not surprising they put in requests to not work on fresh...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk