News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:36PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 283
Total: 285

New Union

Started by tempworker2020, 05-07-20, 04:12AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginsoakedlush

Quote from: Cinderella on 29-04-22, 11:29PMSometimes policies aren't clear enough. For instance, I am off with covid, and the policy on that has now changed, but doesn't say what the application is to someone already off with covid when it kicks in.

I have found my absence levels being inflated, where I have asked for reduced hours (which doesn't impact absence) every time I get a payslip it has been coded as sick. (This is not related to the covid comment). I want to know about the policies relating to that, and the best way to raise a query without jumping straight to grievance (which is what the in store reps keep insisting I do)

Hi Cinderella,
I'm a wages clerk, and if you are on reduced hours as part of a "return to work plan" you will see these hours in your payslip as "sickness". The reason for this is that the reduction in hours is supposed to be for 8 weeks only and is paid out of any company sick pay you may be entitled to. The reduction in hours shouldn't be taken into account when calculating an absence percentage.

Hope this is of some help

Loki

Isn't it ironic that Usdaw are asking members to complete a survey to protect the right to strike when its members at stores don't even have a right to vote on pay.
Hypocrisy doesn't even cover it.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

anais

Nice to see you back on here Loki

Loki

Thank you  :) It's been several years. Feel like a newbie lol
Great to see VLH still going strong.

lackofinterest

great to see you back loki. always loved your posts :)

Loki

Thank you  :) Great to catch up

person7

Quote from: Loki on 27-01-23, 07:36PMIsn't it ironic that Usdaw are asking members to complete a survey to protect the right to strike when its members at stores don't even have a right to vote on pay.

I felt like replying "yeh right, then let us strike in the first place" - but its a no reply email but i'll defo try to send message to someone at usdaw to see what their excuse is

they are basically saying "please protect the right to strike but do remember you dont have a right to strike or negotiate about pay as we are basically ran by tesco"

ImBackBaby

Left USDAW as I switched to depot, and UNITE are wanting me to join for £27 a month, not a chance.. No more Unions for me.

uklions

USDAW as much use as a chocolate tea pot!  :D

Attilla

Very true, utterly useless. Frankly they've let the membership down badly over the years but the last three years they just "up sticks" and did nothing. No consultation no input NO IDEA.

Teddybonkers

USDAW = Fake Union.

FarmerFred

Not really, the issue is that at GA level they have very little leverage compared to levels such as LGV Drivers. There is no great shortage of folk willing to earn almost minimum wage for unskilled work in a shop, whereas skilled LGV drivers are in short supply which gives the union an excellent bargaining point. If Tesco couldn't get staff to work for low pay & little - no premiums it would be a different story.

barafear

I agree with you on a certain point - i.e. the limited leverage at GA level (sorry, we're all colleagues now!) - but of course, big numbers might help - so if we did have a right to strike/vote to strike - and big numbers (incl store management) did vote to strike - then it might have an impact - but of course, only union members would have that right - and what % are in the union - and if you strike it means no pay - and as most GAs are earning min wage, chances are they cannot afford to lose a day's pay - unlike train drivers on £55k+ a year - who potentially have savings to back them up.

It's all conjecture of course, as when it came down to it, even if we had a vote to strike, I don't think people would vote for it. The voices on here are only a small minority of the 300,000+ UK staff. I have noticed recently that the comments on Ourtesco have become fewer - whereas previously there might be a good number (50-100+) of comments - mainly negative - on anything that Tesco "announced" in their news section - it's almost as if the comments are being moderated and then deleted. I can't believe that staff who regularly use any news item to more or less make the same complaint (if you love us so much, rather than saying thank you and being grateful, pay us more - and you can stick your 20p increase where the sun don't shine! )

I did think that 20p really did suck!!

Hey ho.

sam

Leave USDAw. and join another union the more who leave USDAw then they will have to do something

jm876546886

Quote from: Loki on 27-01-23, 07:36PMIsn't it ironic that Usdaw are asking members to complete a survey to protect the right to strike when its members at stores don't even have a right to vote on pay.
Your pay "vote" is done via stores forums

1982dave

The union are not fit for purpose

londoner83

Usdaw is not fit for purpose.

Many reps are poorly trained and even if called to a formal meeting you can often get the same outcome yourself without a rep.

All they are interested in is signing up new recruits.....

Cinderella

Quote from: Ginsoakedlush on 26-01-23, 10:51AM
Quote from: Cinderella on 29-04-22, 11:29PMSometimes policies aren't clear enough. For instance, I am off with covid, and the policy on that has now changed, but doesn't say what the application is to someone already off with covid when it kicks in.

I have found my absence levels being inflated, where I have asked for reduced hours (which doesn't impact absence) every time I get a payslip it has been coded as sick. (This is not related to the covid comment). I want to know about the policies relating to that, and the best way to raise a query without jumping straight to grievance (which is what the in store reps keep insisting I do)
Hi Cinderella,
I'm a wages clerk, and if you are on reduced hours as part of a "return to work plan" you will see these hours in your payslip as "sickness". The reason for this is that the reduction in hours is supposed to be for 8 weeks only and is paid out of any company sick pay you may be entitled to. The reduction in hours shouldn't be taken into account when calculating an absence percentage.

Hope this is of some help
Thank you for the information!

It was actually proven that my absence levels were being inflated, and the manager was dealt with. Thank goodness I started keeping records of everything!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk