News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 02:22PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 416
Total: 419

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaled78

also "Tesco failed to comment", so no surprise there then, it probably is happening.

Nomad

kaled78, I agree, but would should beware Chinese whispers.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nomad

Tesco suffers Supreme Court setback in 'fire and rehire' case

QuoteTesco has lost a landmark decision in the Supreme Court after it granted the Usdaw union permission to proceed with its case against the retailer's use of so-called 'fire and rehire' practices.

Yesterday the highest court in the UK permitted the union, which is represented by social justice law firm Thompsons Solicitors, to take forward the case against Tesco, which accuses the supermarket giant of wanting to fire and rehire its staff in order to remove their entitlement to retained pay.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/other/sainsbury-s-and-tesco-apologise-after-shoppers-have-christmas-dinner-ruined-by-rotten-turkeys/ar-AA15GikI?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9818303e9c844b6d934283adcda4a0fd

The annual my Turkey was rotten worse Christmas ever season is upon us again, I totally accept that some do go bad through no fault of the customer but one wonders how many are destroyed due to not being stored or cooked correctly at home not to mention the usual suspects who kick up a fuss to get a freebie. We used to have one bloke in 10am every Boxing day saying his turkey was mouldy and threatening to inform the press, never had the bird with him saying he did not want it stinking his car out every year full refund and a goodwill payment without fail. If it was down to me I would have stopped him doing it but as I was not a manger it was not down to me to deal with him, as he always demanded to speak to someone in charge.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

Tesco scales back ambitions for online picking hubs despite latest launch

QuoteThe retailer opened its sixth UFC at its Bar Hill Extra store in Cambridgeshire last week, using excess space in the store for a dedicated online picking hub that will serve 22 dotcom vans as well as click & collect.

The opening is part of a strategy launched by former CEO Dave Lewis in 2019, when he set out plans to double Tesco's online capacity with the launch of 25 UFCs by the end of 2023.

However, whilst the Bar Hill store joins West Bromwich, Lakeside, Horwich, Bradford and Rutherglen in the line-up, Tesco said it had dropped the target in favour of a "test and learn approach".
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Mum 'floored' by price difference swears by M&S after comparing weekly shop to Tesco's

QuoteVegan mum Claudia took to TikTok to share her disbelief after getting her weekly shop for £34 cheaper at the supermarket, which has often been seen as one of the most expensive
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

Quote from: Nomad on 19-01-23, 11:00AMTesco scales back ambitions for online picking hubs despite latest launch

QuoteThe retailer opened its sixth UFC at its Bar Hill Extra store in Cambridgeshire last week, using excess space in the store for a dedicated online picking hub that will serve 22 dotcom vans as well as click & collect.

The opening is part of a strategy launched by former CEO Dave Lewis in 2019, when he set out plans to double Tesco's online capacity with the launch of 25 UFCs by the end of 2023.

However, whilst the Bar Hill store joins West Bromwich, Lakeside, Horwich, Bradford and Rutherglen in the line-up, Tesco said it had dropped the target in favour of a "test and learn approach".

This all seems a bit like the Jacks launch, plans for x amount of stores (my family live in Grantham and for ages rumour had it a Jacks was coming to a retail park there) and then after a few did open talk of learning from them before opening more before the whole thing was dropped, I do hope for those working in the UFCs history is not repeating itself here.

FarmerFred

Cost of investment vs return & performance issues would be my guess based on what I have heard recently. They trialled the system out in a couple of places and it "worked" (aka results fiddled to make project lead look good) so rushed forward with big plans on the usual assumption that what works in one place surely will work everywhere rather than a slow build up giving time to learn from the process.

Nomad

Tesco Bank offers staff 1,250 pound 'cost of living' payment

QuoteTesco Bank, owned by Britain's biggest supermarket chain Tesco (TSCO.L), said on Thursday it agreed to give around 3,400 members of staff a 1,250 pound ($1,540.63) pay increase to help them deal with the increased cost of living.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Tesco: More than 2,000 jobs set to go due to store changes

QuoteThe grocer said it was planning to cut 1,750 team manager posts across hundreds of its larger stores, while closing roles elsewhere.

A new tier of 1,800 lower paid shift leader positions will take over running its shop floors.

Tesco also announced it will close its counters and hot delis, with staff offered alternative jobs elsewhere.

Thought you may like at least one link.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

More than 2,000 jobs at risk as Tesco announces restructuring plans

QuoteWithin Head Office Tesco is proposing to make changes to several functions as well as removing duplicated roles, which could lead to around 120 jobs being placed at risk. This includes the proposed closure of the company's Maintenance Call Centre in Milton Keynes, which impacts around 70 employees.

Not just stores.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

The Irish arm of retail giant Tesco has been ordered to pay a former night manager over €23,000 for unfair dismissal after he took a pack of cigarettes without paying.

QuoteMr Scully — who had 18 years service with Tesco — said he had forgotten to pay for a packet of cigarettes on July 11, 2019, which he had intended to pay for and it was not theft.

Poor memory or absent-mindedness is NOT a crime.  Ask Richard Madeley  8-) 

Some managers may like to consider the way this manager was treated after 18 years service  :o
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

'Might as well use Lidl now': Tesco Whiteley customer blasts change at store

QuoteThe criticism from customers follows significant investment by the supermarket chain in its staff in early 2022.

At the time Tesco announced it was prioritising staff and giving them more hours.

In a media release the chain said: "Today, we are announcing a significant investment in our colleagues, through a substantial increase in base pay, an extension of the colleague discount allowance and new training and technology to upskill colleagues, giving them more flexibility in their work and potential to access more hours.

"Our colleagues are at the heart of our business and their skills and capabilities have enabled us to deliver for our customers through the challenges of recent times. Our future success depends on our colleagues and our commitment to them has never been stronger."

Did you miss it  :question:   ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Closed Tesco Express store in Ilkeston to reopen as One Stop next week

QuoteA launch event will be held from 11am until 1pm on Saturday, February 25, with One Stop hessian tote bags handed out to the first 100 customers. Five customers, who get their hands on golden tickets hidden around the shop, will walk away with a £20 One Stop voucher.

Fancy a really early trip to Ilkeston  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Tesco to close all meat, fish and hot deli counters

QuoteTesco is shutting down its fresh meat and fish counters across the county.

The supermarket giant has confirmed it's closing all of its remaining counters and hot delis so the space can be "repurposed to better reflect its customers' needs".

Not being reviewed, confirmed shut down.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsbirmingham/tesco-shopper-called-a-bully-for-making-18-year-old-worker-cry-at-the-till/ar-AA188cLc?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=32be52efb45244268dc147637ff983e6&ei=19

While we only have one side of the story it seems the customer was right to point out the poor service, i.e. the young man paying more attention to his phone and having his fingers in his mouth, I think this is one of those occasions where the terms bully and bullying are being used when nothing of the sort has taken place.

Nomad

It is a sad fact that many who work in the 'service' industry do not understand the meaning of the word.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

'Half a bench' installed outside Tesco to stop antisocial behaviour

QuoteA petition was signed by more than 100 people in Lychpit asking for a bench to be installed outside the Tesco Express store for customers to take a rest after shopping.

But after funding was agreed and the bench was installed, it wasn't quite what they had in mind.

Two benches  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Tesco to offer five days paid leave for staff subjected to domestic abuse

QuoteWith 151 stores, Tesco ranks among the largest private employers in the State. The group has changed its time-off policy from today, with no requirement for workers availing of the leave to submit proof of abuse.

My wife swore at me I need 5 days off  8)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

BritishRacingGreen

@Nomad - Domestic abuse is never funny.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk