News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:41PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 296
Total: 299

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordadmiral

Quote from: Vanilla on 02-02-19, 06:55AM
This might have already been covered but where are the Unions in all of this?
Surely they, the Unions, should have been fighting the cause of its members before it ever got to this stage?
Big winners from successful claim will be Leigh Day but at least they are fighting the cause.
Well do not forget that we are talking about few dozens of lawyers forking for free for few years.
Take 10 if them with 20k salary , multiply it by 5 years and you have now 1M. But real cost is even bigger, how much? God knows.

dairyfresh

Quote from: bazlindon on 03-02-19, 01:02AM
So , if this goes through, will DC hourly wage be cut to match our wages or will we get a pay rise to match DC wages ?

Most likely pay freeze. Then mass store closures and more redundancy.

Welshie

I was under the impression that different dc's earn different rates,  am I wrong ?
So which DC are there trying to compare stores to ?

Duracell

Welshie you are not Wrong, there are indeed different rates for different Dc's. Also at some DC's there are Multiple rates within the same location.

It will be interesting to see which Rate will be comparable if the roles are proven to be of equal value, providing in The T claim the claimants can compare the different roles, as this is not yet certain.
It has been Granted in the Asda case, but part of that claim was that historicaly  some workers crossed sectors DC's - Retail and Retail -DC, some senior managers were fearful of the implications this could have on pay claims and evidence was presented (emails) expressing the concerns and Planning and action of counter measures to stop the the comparison being made.
So Asda were shown to have taken direct planned action to stop a comparison being made in what appeared to be a more versatile workforce.
So the emphasis on the court granting the claimants the right to compare roles was partly because ASDA denied them that right by its planing and action.

Granting the right to compare is simply that " a right to"  it doesn't prove equal value or a legitimate comparison, evidence of workers crossing the sectional devide to work in the Asda case also helped their claim.
Evidence that is likely not to be established in the T claim.

All in the ASDA case notes.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

madness

Suppose the supermarkets lose this and just bring the distribution wage down to that of store levels instead of the other way around?
The tech is not a million miles away from just pushing your trolly through a sensor and doing away with the cashier altogether. At least everyone will be able to go and work in a distribution centre seeing as it is the same level of work effort....

optout

@duracell

Just to remind people, you are a rep in distribution? So what could your motivations be, in 'contributing to' (read, trying to dissuade people from  supporting) an issue that benefits those in store I wonder? As a rep are you privy to usdaws official stance on this issue, if you are could you please direct us to the official union contact regarding this issue, as I for one would like to get an official, written, response to this action from usdaw. I assume (or should that be 'presume') that as a rep (with an obvious interest in this subject) you are aware of usdaws official stance (and therefore usdaws official advice to its members) on this issue?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Duracell

Just to remind people, you are a rep in distribution? Question or statement?
So what could your motivations be, in 'contributing to' (read, trying to dissuade people from  supporting) an issue that benefits those in store I wonder? Realism rather than propaganda, your presumption is I am trying to dissuade when the reality is I am commenting with an alternative view, which offers a balance, I dissuade no one, y'all climb aboard the apparent Gravy Train and fill your boots with gold or just very messy gravy which ever it turns out to be
As a rep are you privy to usdaws official stance on this issue, Am I ? Are you Certain? if you are could you please direct us to the official union contact regarding this issue, as I for one would like to get an official, written, response to this action from usdaw. I assume (or should that be 'presume') that as a rep (with an obvious interest in this subject) you are aware of usdaws official stance (and therefore usdaws official advice to its members) on this issue? You are correct in that you are presumptuous, I am not aware if Union officials have a stance and if they do what it is. What I am sure of is if they did communicate any stance it would be to the section of reps and members it affects through their national officer, as you have reminded the Forum but seem quite eager to dismiss when it suits you,  I am from Distribution and as such communicated to by a different National Officer so am unable to deny or confirm if any stance is present or any communication has taken place, I could offer personal opinion but you are not asking that, what I can do is accept your request and direct you to the right place, USDAW web site, you will find it if you google USDAW and then search their web site for contact details, choose your preferred method and ask them yourself.

Again probably not what you want to hear as it opposes your presumptuous view but never the less realism and factual based on experiences and information I DO have or Am aware of.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

OvaSees

Quote from: madness on 03-02-19, 05:17PM
Suppose the supermarkets lose this and just bring the distribution wage down to that of store levels instead of the other way around?
The tech is not a million miles away from just pushing your trolly through a sensor and doing away with the cashier altogether. At least everyone will be able to go and work in a distribution centre seeing as it is the same level of work effort....
This. Harmonisation is the way things will go, distribution will potentially face pay freezes/premium erosion in order to fund retail which will get rises until both are equal and in line with the NMW. I said it at the time - be careful what you wish for... the only winner will be the company that will face an overall lower NI cost in the long term.

alf

Question is, who would want to work in a depo centre earning the same money a 16 year old school kid makes in retail.

lackofinterest

exactly! nobody with a brain cell 8-)

Duracell

Anyone that thinks that Distribution will accept pay freezes when all other sectors of the business enjoy pay rises are either astoundingly naieve or have no clue about Distribution or its workforce.

Duracell.

lordadmiral

If Tesco will loose it will have to rearange whole pay structure in some way that can be seen in europe and keep flat gap between one role and another.
Checkouts, replenishement, instore warehouse, distribution center, age/ experience, location pay, hours worked, attendance, performance etc. All will have to be taken into account so the pay could be formed in way that is fair.
At the moment on one side Tesco is trying to offer same pay to everyone but in the same time its diferent between DCs but role is same.

One more question to dc worker. Would like find out what is minimum picking target u got. How many cages you load during one shift, and how long that shift last. Examples pls.

optout

Shop floor staff did not create this problem, tesco did, whilst usdaw and distribution watched (and it seems are still quite happy to watch). Shop floor staff are at last standing up for themselves.

I would have thought that any rep would be proud to see their membership stand up for themselves (after all the argument we are given for the unions inaction when it comes to erosion of our working conditions is that we the members will not stand up for ourselves) and ashamed of the hierarchy of usdaw and tesco for allowing this situation to develop for so long.

Make no mistake, this situation has not just happened over night.  And now that this issue is finally coming home to roost, we seem to be finding out just who the cuckoos in the nest are.

OvaSees

Quote from: alf on 03-02-19, 09:12PM
Question is, who would want to work in a depo centre earning the same money a 16 year old school kid makes in retail.
Exactly, and closer to home why would anyone work on the backdoor tipping deliveries in the rain, or work unsociable hours filling shelves, or do any manual labour at all for that matter when you can get paid the same rate for sitting on a till?

Carparkpothole

Quote from: lordadmiral on 04-02-19, 01:38AM
If Tesco will loose it will have to rearange whole pay structure in some way that can be seen in europe and keep flat gap between one role and another.
Checkouts, replenishement, instore warehouse, distribution center, age/ experience, location pay, hours worked, attendance, performance etc. All will have to be taken into account so the pay could be formed in way that is fair.
At the moment on one side Tesco is trying to offer same pay to everyone but in the same time its diferent between DCs but role is same.

One more question to dc worker. Would like find out what is minimum picking target u got. How many cages you load during one shift, and how long that shift last. Examples pls.

There is no picking target as such as it's timed on travelling time, collecting cages, assembling at location, and dropping off at the
bay. You can assemble 20 cages in 7.5 hrs.

The loading can be 35 cages per hour, including double deckers if required, so 250 approximately in 7.5 hours.

Nomad

"why would anyone work on the backdoor tipping deliveries in the rain, .........., or do any manual labour at all"

To keep fit, slim and healthy  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

OvaSees

Sorry Nomad, I forgot how much Tesco cares for our wellbeing LOL!

lordadmiral

Quote from: Carparkpothole on 04-02-19, 07:51AM

There is no picking target as such as it's timed on travelling time, collecting cages, assembling at location, and dropping off at the
bay. You can assemble 20 cages in 7.5 hrs.

The loading can be 35 cages per hour, including double deckers if required, so 250 approximately in 7.5 hours.
I see.  Good to know. Thx

grim up north

Hard to say, as different DC's have different stock, different ways of working and so on. At my DC on a bad day, you could end up picking 60 cages full of BWS or pop in 7.5 hours

NightAndDay

Quote from: madness on 03-02-19, 05:17PM

It is illegal to decrease wages, all they can do is cut hours or lower premium payments (how they get around lowering wages) but they can't decrease the base rate.

Even if they could, as with Tescos shop floor pay at the moment, it would render them uncompetitive meaning increaeed turnover, higher training costs and higher n.i costs.

adamlad

Todays email update

STORE-WORKERS CAN COMPARE THEMSELVES TO DISTRIBUTION CENTRE WORKERS IN PAY CLAIMS

Last week Leigh Day won for the third time when the Court of Appeal agreed that store-workers working at Asda can compare their job with the jobs of their colleagues working in the company's distribution centres.

Read the full article here.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR TESCO STORE-WORKERS?

All of the three judges that heard the claim decided in our favour. They ruled that in the vast majority of cases the law allows an employee to compare themselves with any employee of the same employer. This is a very important step forward for the equal pay claim we will take on your behalf as although Tesco were not involved in the case it sets an example for all equal pay claims against supermarkets.

While Tesco may still try and defend your equal pay claim by saying that store-workers cannot compare themselves with distribution workers, we are very confident that such arguments, like those brought by Asda, will also not succeed.

We understand that equal pay can all be a little confusing and it's not always as straight forward as it seems, so we've broken down the essentials and created a video to explain the issue.

Watch now

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

In our last letter we updated you on a hearing we had in November 2018. At that hearing we agreed a timetable by which the parties were to provide certain information. We are progressing well with this timetable and have another hearing with Tesco in early May. A further update will follow shortly after. 

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?

In December 2018 we sent our current clients an Employment Information Sheet to complete. We have now received approximately 1000 replies which the team are working hard to review. THANK YOU to those of you who replied. If you have not yet done so, please complete and return to us at your earliest convenience as this will assist us in winning your claim. If you have yet to receive an Employment Information Sheet do not worry – one will be sent out within the next month.

EQUAL PAY NOW WEBSITE

Visit our website to find out more about the claim and equal pay. You can also follow us on social media for regular updates.
EQUALPAYNOW.CO.UK

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 689 0570 or tescoequalpay@leighday.co.uk.

Loki

Quote from: optout on 03-02-19, 06:01PM
@duracell

Just to remind people, you are a rep in distribution? So what could your motivations be, in 'contributing to' (read, trying to dissuade people from  supporting) an issue that benefits those in store I wonder? As a rep are you privy to usdaws official stance on this issue, if you are could you please direct us to the official union contact regarding this issue, as I for one would like to get an official, written, response to this action from usdaw. I assume (or should that be 'presume') that as a rep (with an obvious interest in this subject) you are aware of usdaws official stance (and therefore usdaws official advice to its members) on this issue?

Not Duracell, myself or any other rep that I know of are in receipt of any detailed communication regarding this matter. Last year Usdaw published the following...

Date: 07 February 2018
In the retail sector, Usdaw has long been at the forefront of calls for fair and transparent pay structures, irrespective of gender or age.
In recent months, Usdaw has been discussing this issue with a number of employers, including Tesco, in preparation for the introduction of mandatory gender pay gap reporting later this year. This is a change in the law which requires larger employers to publish information regarding differences in pay between men and women.

Equal pay will continue to be high on our negotiating agenda.

Usdaw is actively engaging with all employers where we organise, to establish the facts as to whether there are potential issues with equal pay for work of equal value.

The Union will take the appropriate steps, whether through negotiations or legal channels, to address any issues that may be identified as part of this process.

Usdaw is not part of the reported legal claim.

As you can see, Usdaw have made no official stance regarding the LeighDay claim, however, it is evident that they do not endorse the claim. In fact they make it very clear that they have no involvement in the claim.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Vanilla

If USDAW were impartial rather than being Tosco's lapdog then we would never have got into this situation.
Fools are the ones still paying their union subs

optout

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/morrisons-equal-pay-claim-2019-shop-floor-staff/
It seems there is more than just one law firm putting their money where their mouth is.

lordadmiral

Another issue at Tesco.

"We've been informed that Tesco has reviewed all job codes in stores and as a result noticed that many employees are on an incorrect job code. We understand this may impact the pay of some of those employees identified as having been on an incorrect job code.

If you have been told about changes to your job code and pay,  or colleagues in your store have been told please get in contact with us on 0800 689 0570 or tescoequalpay@leighday.co.uk.

Please note, if you have been advised that you have been underpaid as a result of a job code change,  we will try to recover these losses in your equal pay claim.

Kind regards,"

I looked at my job code at few payslips and it is changing every other month. ???!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk