News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:14AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 170
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

4am starts

Started by Lurker21, 21-06-20, 10:10AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueberet

Tray liners are a great idea, the only problem will be that Tesco will making them out of the cheapest material and they will be forever ripping when the tray is full.

dotnochance

Have you seen the new paper/plastic produce bags? You even look at them and they rip! Complete waste of time

dotnochance

Yeah I’ve just heard we are going g back to 6am starts and second pick is coming back, good luck social distancing at 2pm on a Friday/Saturday, complete joke of a company

gomezz

If second pick / same day ordering is coming back where are they going to fit them in on the vans? Still running more or less fully loaded with non-stop delivery round here.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

dotnochance

Second pick is starting pick at 1100,  I can only guess they they will bring a cap in orders, our click and collect starts at 0600 and runs too 1000 or 1100.  They certainly can’t do that as we start at 0600.  Anything to bring wage bill down.

Checkout Superstar

They probably haven't thought of that, all decisions are being made in London from someone who has never worked  a day on the shop floor to know what its like

Siwel123

I've heard they're getting rid of the 6am to 8am click and collect slot

dotnochance

That’s about on average, about 10-20 customers lost then.
I mean let’s say it’s 20 customers for those slots spending £35 each that’s £5000 a week gone just there. Asda are laugh all the way to the bank

Siwel123

Precisely, we were on about it at our store as that's what's the new rumour going through dot-com. Apparently it's to allow dot-com to go back to normal hours again

NightAndDay

Quote from: dotnochance on 15-08-20, 04:18PM
That’s about on average, about 10-20 customers lost then.
I mean let’s say it’s 20 customers for those slots spending £35 each that’s £5000 a week gone just there. Asda are laugh all the way to the bank

As we can see here https://www.statista.com/statistics/280208/grocery-market-share-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/ the constant cost cutting of the productive bottom line along with the buying up of real estate from the Germans is having a negative impact on the big 4s market share, but Tesco has lost and stands to lose the most. If DL/Ken Murphy continues with cost cutting in the same fashion as has been practiced as well as worsening the bottom line employees T's & C's and compensation packages, then this is only going to get worse.

dotnochance

Our market share has been falling constantly for years, and yet get rid of more and more staff to cut costs, that won’t bring customers back! They need to invest in MORE staff to fill the self and get customers back through the door, main complaint I keep hearing from customers is “they can’t get what they came in for” but according to Tesco as long as the get through the tills quickly it will all be fine, didn’t work 15 years ago certainly doesn’t work now.

lemons84

We’re going back to 5am starts ( from 4am) . We’re losing the 6-8am click and collect slots so they can claw back some of the hours due to budget blow out .

It’s a bit daft as those slots are really popular - people collect their shopping before they start work but I guess those common sense doesn’t apply at Tesco.

Our store has had a major drop in footfall due to recent events and the fact that customers now have to wear face coverings while  shopping trips are more planned than before and people aren’t browsing while shopping either.

I bet Tesco didn’t realise how much of an impact face coverings would have on footfall in the stores- now they want people in stores shopping !

dotnochance

Yeah that amount of people who say they love the 6-8 slots so they can pick up before work, it’s like Tesco hate money, well apart from the big fat bonus the board will be walking away with. Instead of really hammering home the dotcom sales and trying to get customers to switch to that and keep them there, because amazon is just getting into gear and in a few years are going to kick the s*** out of the big supermarkets. We had a perfect opportunity now, but no the board needs it’s bonus

T.C.1

Yep everybody in Tesco who starts between 6-8 in the mornings sees a constant flow of cars going to click and collect knows it's popular but Tesco being Tesco will cut cut cut BUT I think there be such a backlash from customers that they have to bring that slot back.

Duff McKagan

Quote from: dotnochance on 16-08-20, 08:14AM
Our market share has been falling constantly for years, and yet get rid of more and more staff to cut costs, that won't bring customers back! They need to invest in MORE staff to fill the self and get customers back through the door, main complaint I keep hearing from customers is they can't get what they came in for but according to Tesco as long as the get through the tills quickly it will all be fine, didn't work 15 years ago certainly doesn't work now.

That's revolutionary thinking there....in my store the shelves are filled at night but are left to run empty during the daytime, no backstock is worked, no capping shelves are worked...any delivery that wasn't finished at night is simply left to the next night. All they care about in my store is that they have availability for dot com in the morning....beyond that they don't give a toss, the walk in customer doesn't  matter to them. Their excuse is always the same....we haven't  got any staff...well get some them, speculate to accumulate....the shelves are wrecked by lunch time and they stay that way until the night team come in...how much money must they lose in sales...how many customers walk in, see the state of the place and then go elsewhere? I cannot understand why they don't get it...the whole purpose of the business is to sell goods....well they won't sell if they're sat in the warehouse will they!
Maybe I'm just old school...perhaps I'm out of touch...but when I started almost 2 decades ago we filled throughout the day, continuous replenishment it was called...nowadays if you come in after about 1pm you'd be lucky to find a pint of milk on sale.

newguy20

Had an absolutely ridiculous example of this the other week, our fridge with the meal deal sandwiches had broken down thus all sandwiches wasted and nothing on sale for a few days, obviously customers unhappy, many come in at lunchtime/teatime for a meal deal and then pick up a couple of other bits.  Anyway all got fixed and one day I mentioned to a manager that it was a shame it was still empty "oh we've got sandwiches but night shift didn't put them out so they're all at the back". no sense of prioritisation!

lucgeo

@ Duff McKagan

Does your store not have a daily rumble?? My old store used to have one every day 1-2 and Thursday-Saturday an additional 4-5 rumble....also all hands was called on a regular basis to finish the night fill on fresh, mainly us stockies called to do it!

As old school myself...it was second nature for me and other oldies to pull forward and collect cardboard off the shelves, en route to warehouse, I used to take a small trolley around with me whilst gap scanning to collect cardboard. Much as the last SM ( before the lazy new replacement ) used to do a walk round every morning, with a trolley and collect loose packaging, cardboard, and straighten as he went.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

@ newguy20

Good grief, your fresh manager needs a refresher course in stock management. Sandwiches and meal deals are a big earner for Tesco. A nearest fridge should have been condensed to accommodate the sandwiches, and a note put on broken fridge to advise of the temporary relocation.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Duff McKagan

Quote from: lucgeo on 22-08-20, 01:03PM
@ Duff McKagan

Does your store not have a daily rumble?? My old store used to have one every day 1-2 and Thursday-Saturday an additional 4-5 rumble....also all hands was called on a regular basis to finish the night fill on fresh, mainly us stockies called to do it!

As old school myself...it was second nature for me and other oldies to pull forward and collect cardboard off the shelves, en route to warehouse, I used to take a small trolley around with me whilst gap scanning to collect cardboard. Much as the last SM ( before the lazy new replacement ) used to do a walk round every morning, with a trolley and collect loose packaging, cardboard, and straighten as he went.

They claim to rumble but you wouldn’t know it by the state of the place, card everywhere and the shelves are a mess strewn with products from other areas that have been dumped by customers. The attitude in our store is literally that filling is night work, and it’s across the whole store....fresh and grocery are both left to run empty.

cosmosmallpiece

It's the same in our place they just say leave it to nights. No backstock worked even though they say they have done it and then you empty the cages after. It's a total mess everywhere.  And they want customers to come back in store it's a joke.

dotnochance

Anyone else think Tesco should change our contract to 4/5am, As we have been doing it for over 5months now, I mean how much longer are we going to do it

Paupers wage

Our Dotcom Stopped early starts some weeks ago, staff numbers twiddled off, the £2.21 night shift premium soon lost its novelty and the 6am click n collect wasn’t viable with low take up, not missed by many!

Tossgo

Quote from: dotnochance on 16-10-20, 02:33PM
Anyone else think Tesco should change our contract to 4/5am, As we have been doing it for over 5months now, I mean how much longer are we going to do it

No clue why your specific store are still doing this as the earliest click and collect slot was scrapped some time ago as the company were quick to save the £2.21 premium per hour straight away apart from a few stores who chose to keep spending the extra money

dotnochance

My guess is we doing 600+ trollies a day and beyond 12 would be impossible to do pick, and capping would cost a lot of money

Pushatrolly

Quote from: Siwel123 on 15-08-20, 03:30PM
I've heard they're getting rid of the 6am to 8am click and collect slot

Our store scrapped 6-8 am click n collect, but now the slots are hourly (now 14 cust an hour) they have moved the start time back to 7am.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk