News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

20-05-24, 12:22AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,907
  • Latest: Old man
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,562
  • Total Topics: 647
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 56
Total: 57

What changes will January bring

Started by newdawnrising, 08-01-24, 01:05PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginsoakedlush

Quote from: lucgeo on 07-02-24, 09:29PM
Quote from: Ginsoakedlush on 07-02-24, 07:51PM
Quote from: chris9997 on 07-02-24, 07:13PMwith nights it is not about being a customer assistant it is about the hours being significantly changed that would attract redundancy, a wages clerk is just a ga on a computer  with a skills payment, who can be moved to most places around the store, i am sure tesco are working within the law.
You're partly correct. A Wages Clerk is not "just a GA on a computer" there's a reason for that skills payment. And, this Wages Clerk has made MORE management decisions over the years than some of our actual managers
The skills payment is left over from when the wages clerk came under the umbrella with CSD and did a helluva lot more than they do now! Why would a wages clerk think they have the knowledge or indeed the authority to make any management decisions  ???

Moving nights onto days or twighlight shifts is not so straightforward. There is a set timeframe window whereby changing shift hours in excess of those timeframes would be unreasonable.

Asking a clerk to leave their ivory tower to go work down in the badlands amongst the shopfloor riff raff, working relatively similar contracted hours, is not deemed a redundancy option.
Wages clerks are not idiots you know! From experience gained from a previous employment is where I gained the knowledge, and the fact that a good majority of the managers that I have worked with over the years in my role are barely through puberty, or can't organise their way out of a paper bag, or both and come to me to do their thinking for them so that they can take the credit. Also there's no "ivory tower", I just have a different kind of customer.

And to be clear, I've seen these changes coming for quite a while now, so I'm not a bit surprised. But I WILL take issue when I'm asked for advice, or to fix something because a manager has screwed it up

kaled78

what the displaced wages clerks need to do in the future is tell managers "sorry I am no longer in charge of wages",when they ask for advice and not bail them out all the time

Seymee

Quote from: Elly1519 on 08-02-24, 07:39PMSeymee

I hope I'm a fly on the wall when manager's have to set their own new starters up. The Company couldn't have made it any harder if they tried.

W&P is this company's equivalent of the Horizon scandal.
Well look at Xmas when they removed the ability for Wage clerks and Admins to put bank details on. When HQ realised store managers couldn't cope with all the new temps they added it back on.

I never expected them to drop Wage clerks in the Extras and I honestly can foresee it being a disaster which they have to rectify quickly so my advice to displaced Wage Clerks is hold firm as you might find yourself being asked back in some capacity

BobbyDazler

Of course it's going to be a disaster. We all know which managers in our stores who are s*** at the paperwork so we can make a good guess at which colleagues won't be paid correctly.

I advise against displaced Wage colleagues riding in to save the day. How offensive it would be if they even dare come begging..  but you just know they will

Doggiedoodle

Quote from: Ginsoakedlush on 08-02-24, 07:40PM
Quote from: lucgeo on 07-02-24, 09:29PM
Quote from: Ginsoakedlush on 07-02-24, 07:51PM
Quote from: chris9997 on 07-02-24, 07:13PMwith nights it is not about being a customer assistant it is about the hours being significantly changed that would attract redundancy, a wages clerk is just a ga on a computer  with a skills payment, who can be moved to most places around the store, i am sure tesco are working within the law.
You're partly correct. A Wages Clerk is not "just a GA on a computer" there's a reason for that skills payment. And, this Wages Clerk has made MORE management decisions over the years than some of our actual managers
The skills payment is left over from when the wages clerk came under the umbrella with CSD and did a helluva lot more than they do now! Why would a wages clerk think they have the knowledge or indeed the authority to make any management decisions  ???

Moving nights onto days or twighlight shifts is not so straightforward. There is a set timeframe window whereby changing shift hours in excess of those timeframes would be unreasonable.

Asking a clerk to leave their ivory tower to go work down in the badlands amongst the shopfloor riff raff, working relatively similar contracted hours, is not deemed a redundancy option.
Wages clerks are not idiots you know! From experience gained from a previous employment is where I gained the knowledge, and the fact that a good majority of the managers that I have worked with over the years in my role are barely through puberty, or can't organise their way out of a paper bag, or both and come to me to do their thinking for them so that they can take the credit. Also there's no "ivory tower", I just have a different kind of customer.

And to be clear, I've seen these changes coming for quite a while now, so I'm not a bit surprised. But I WILL take issue when I'm asked for advice, or to fix something because a manager has screwed it up
:thumbup:

Kazzalou

Wage clerks are unsung heroes and it's devastating this has happened. I agree Extras will be chaos on paydays once this change really takes effect and who will management go running to.......

RE recruitment,I was briefed managers will be taking on their own recruitment hence the new right to work/visa training stuff they have just had to do on click and learn. So the Admin role is now starting to be phased out in the same way Wages was.

SpaceMonkey123

I hope I'm a fly on the wall when manager's have to set their own new starters up. The Company couldn't have made it any harder if they tried.

Admin colleagues will set up new starters on W&P. They will also have to print off the weekly/4 weekly payroll reports and S&A Manager will sign them off. SM will review monthly

Doggiedoodle

Quote from: kaled78 on 08-02-24, 07:44PMwhat the displaced wages clerks need to do in the future is tell managers "sorry I am no longer in charge of wages",when they ask for advice and not bail them out all the time
:thumbup:

Hammer10

If my wages are cocked up because of tesco managers not able to do the job I will be going to the press.

Kazzalou

I still can't quite believe it to be honest. Some Extras have close to 300 staff, if not more, in what reality is a regular Wage Clerk not needed? The Dairy manager in mine can't even do holidays correctly and now he is expected to sort out pay?

It will become apparent very quickly this move was a mistake.

oldfashionedplayer

ours mainly works on stock control and does an hour / 2 upstairs to go over exceptions and such... we're an extra and have last time they said just over 300, managers do the pay queries, the holiday problems, the holidays... have done since the 2022 contract lol. especially since going onto work and pay actually haven't had a wage problem since... so shall see how it goes going forward... I don't personally seen an issue with it.. if they had already reduced the hours of them down already but they were doing a GA role afterwards? may be wrong but shall see how things play out over the next pay periods i guess.

inthemix

Are you prone to over-exaggeration? The situation is clearly unsatisfactory but to compare it to Horizon is ridiculous. It will be user error from managers not an IT system problem and nobody is going to be sent to prison because of it. Get real.

BritishRacingGreen

Just been thinking about that comment re. Horizon. It's obscene.
No-one's died knowing they're innocent of any theft - no-one's been jailed or lost their house or livelihood.
Get a grip for goodness' sake.

BobbyDazler

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 09-02-24, 10:45AMours mainly works on stock control and does an hour / 2 upstairs to go over exceptions and such... we're an extra and have last time they said just over 300, managers do the pay queries, the holiday problems, the holidays... have done since the 2022 contract lol. especially since going onto work and pay actually haven't had a wage problem since... so shall see how it goes going forward... I don't personally seen an issue with it.. if they had already reduced the hours of them down already but they were doing a GA role afterwards? may be wrong but shall see how things play out over the next pay periods i guess.
Whether it's a success will depend on the quality of managers your store has. There will be no hiding from the fact they are c**p at their job if every month they have colleagues who haven't been paid correctly.

oldfashionedplayer

Oh I agree, they change ours out every 2 to 3 years, for many many years there's been problems but recently with a new one that started there's been less issues, so have to see how things go and if he sticks to the job... Most tend to leave quick if they do well  ;D

SAMCRO

Peoples reactions to this news is laughable. A lot of people here could not have been in the company very long at all. If they have been in the company a while they must have had their heads buried in the sand over the years when it's been job cut after job cut, role change after role change etc

I've been around long enough to see cut after cut after cut. When nights went everyone said it wouldn't work - everyone said it would be a disaster. Well yes that is correct, it doesn't work and it is a disaster...... but Tesco do not care.

Majority of us minions are GAs, with primary and secondary departments. Basically expected to work anywhere in or outside of the building that matches the hours in our availability and in our training.

The golden-era of Tesco is long gone and it has been for a while. For those who are seriously unhappy you really need to leave and move on. It is not going to get any better.

I am actively looking for alternative employment, I suggest a lot of colleagues also do the same.

chris9997

I agree with everything you say job cut after job cut year on year, some cuts work some dont the nights to twilight may not work in all stores but in some it does but even in the ones it does not work in the company sees the move as possative and where it does work it is more than likely down to a good team and an organised management .

King1999

Totally agree its a s*** show more days than not now.Just makes me laugh they saying it's a great place to work,it's about time the company was honest with itself.Been hell for various reasons the past few years so I too am actively training to leave should have done it years ago but hey if you can't see a future make your own,tesco isn't worth it anymore.

rupert7

from big wigs to head office they need to spend some time in some of these stores to see for them self how the staff
work,because some of the things they want us to implement just dont work out,for us or the customers, i  will give you a classic example a customers wanted something from top shelf i could hardly reach it my self and i,m a tall person, even using a kick stool,just may be if they spent time with us workers they would have a much better understanding how things should work, :thumbup:

1982dave

Let's face it a vast majority of the big wigs in Tesco wouldn't have a clue how the day to day running of a store went and would be shocked if they witnessed things .. it's like when a store gets wind of a senior management visit so they paper over the cracks and make everything look pretty so store manager looks that little bit better you never see said senior management speaking to general assistants asking how they feel ..

kaled78

most of them probably don't even shop in tesco,they prefer waitrose or m&s

oldfashionedplayer

end of the day come in, do your work and go, give them hell if your not paid, make notes etc and make them pay for it if they try to bully you... don't do more than the minimum...  thats what the standard is now.

1982dave

DoomandGloom

So I'm a night manager, around this 4 day a week working the briefing never stated this was a trial and even gave us our hours if we chose to go down to a 4 night week. We've had no official word on this being pulled apart from what's been on here. Me amongst other managers in our area are thinking of putting a grievance in, was wondering if others are doing the same?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk